• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Air B-n-B has a Hidden Camera Problem

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
And it has happened in many locations, not just the one.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Exactly.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Criminal as can be. So many laws broken by doing that, screw Air BnB policy/rules!!!!! Unlawful recording in Illinois is a minor felony which carries 3-6 year imprisonment.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why am I not surprised.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The more popular that Airbnb gets, the creepier it feels. I know that others love it (and sometimes I have to use some type of vacation rental so I can't avoid it completely), but things can and do go wrong. We have had some odd things occur (dirty units, finding used syringes on the floor), and some annoying things occur (having to wait at the unit for the cable guy to have the internet fixed). If I found a camera, that would be the last straw!

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always wondered if hotels have cameras.......I don't think I would feel comfortable staying in someone's home. Just increases those chances.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I am creeped out by Air Bnb. I would not feel safe.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Creepy. Never rented from airbnb, just Home Away- a condo and two lake cottages in New England. Of course, read reviews. Always spoke via phone and email with the owners and then met in person. Knew their names and where they lived. No issues. Was great.

That said, I still prefer being at a resort.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
You wanna really freaked out, I've sent a man to prison for life for putting these around a church...... https://www.brickhousesecurity.com/...B07K1_IXfqWz2E7VDhtBgQNWPf63I2D0aApVLEALw_wcB
People are F'ed up. I conducted the investigation and made the arrest on CHRISTMAS EVE..... Walked into a $300k house in a nice neighborhood in a quiet town to take this dirtball to prison forever. I don't trust rich people. Or anyone for that matter......

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always wondered if hotels have cameras.......I don't think I would feel comfortable staying in someone's home. Just increases those chances.

I would think it could happen anywhere, however, hotels would be much less likely to do so, at least the larger chains. It is possible and has happened though. But someone renting out their home, far more likely. One of a long list of reasons we won't use them.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Gee...renting a room from a stranger, sharing the house with a stranger, and you don't know his real name. What could go wrong? I have used AIRBnB to rent a house, in Roatan, but I went through the house, met the property manger the year before. My only small issue was AirBNB caused. And the "extra" $$$ I paid to use AIRBnB, a waste. But then again nothing went wrong. You would think that since AIR BNB can not get these sort of issues controlled, those "not as advertised" rentals, fake rental they would be out of business. Seems like they only can do reactive, not proactive problem solving. The great deal always wins.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
It's great in theory. All these people who buy a vacation home instead of a timeshare and renting out that vacation home. I've used Air BnB twice. Once in SF and once in the Ozarks. Both were quite nice and most likely no cameras. But so many cameras are nearly impossible to spot..... The same could happen at a resort. Creepy utility or cleaning person using the footage for their own gain...... people are F'ed up.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once, we rented a house in Mexico, and going through it, I found a camera between books in a bookcase aimed back at the seating area of the room, and wired to a desktop computer. I simply turned it so it's back was to us and it only 'saw' the dark inside of the bookcase.

'Strangely', the Wi-Fi stopped working a day or two after that.

Methinks that was our last VRBO rental.

Jim

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would think it could happen anywhere, however, hotels would be much less likely to do so, at least the larger chains. It is possible and has happened though. But someone renting out their home, far more likely. One of a long list of reasons we won't use them.

Exactly, and even though you may expect privacy renting someone's private residence, those expectations are far too often met with disappointment. It's just so easy for a private owner to install a hidden camera(s) in a residential property.

Facts are no rental company, hotel, resort, etc., can guarantee your privacy 100%. It simply can't be done.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I think the more telling item in the article that describes the issues AirBnB faces is the reaction of the local police department. As far as they're concerned you are a guest in someone's private residence. The owner of a private residence has a right to place security devices, such as cameras, anywhere they so choose. Despite any policies that AirBnB may want to implement. It's a private residence not a hotel that must live by a different set of rules. A guest may have a certain expectation of privacy, but, in my opinion, it's the responsibility of the guest to approach their host to insure that privacy.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I think the more telling item in the article that describes the issues AirBnB faces is the reaction of the local police department. As far as they're concerned you are a guest in someone's private residence. The owner of a private residence has a right to place security devices, such as cameras, anywhere they so choose. Despite any policies that AirBnB may want to implement. It's a private residence not a hotel that must live by a different set of rules. A guest may have a certain expectation of privacy, but, in my opinion, it's the responsibility of the guest to approach their host to insure that privacy.
As I quoted previously, this is illegal in Illinois to the felony level. Most states share a similar sentiment and unlawful recording carries a high level misdemeanor to low level felony charge.
This doesn't make the invasion of a person's privacy less infuriating

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Based on my own personal experiences, I don't trust the Police (Po-Po) either
Well that's encouraging. What happened to you where the police acted inappropriately?
For me not trusting people, I've worked cases against people who appear to be millionaires and people who live in rented trailers and everywhere in between who have raped children.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Po-Po"?

It’s kind of hilarious watching you try to fit your entire vocabulary into one sentence. :clap:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
This should be expected with a new service such as Airbnb. I haven’t (to my knowledge) experienced anything like this, and generally have very good hosts and stays. However, it does seem prudent to examine a rental more closely in future.

A quick search found many posts on how to identify hidden cameras, such as this one:

https://m.reolink.com/how-to-detect-hidden-cameras/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score

"POPO": A Police Officer, especially the ones that ride on bikes.

Origin: California late 1980's

Description: Police officers that patrols certain beaches on bikes wore a vest that said PO in huge block letters on each of their chest, which means Police Officer. They usually ride around in group of two's and when you see them coming by, you see the word "PO" "PO" when they stand next to each other.

In a sentence: "Man...here comes the PoPo to harass us again."

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
"Man...here comes the PoPo to harass us again"
This is why perspective is so huge. In my area, people appologize to police for calling us to make reports. People come up to us when we're in public and shake our hands and thank us for serving the community. People are constantly bringing us food.
And 9 out of 10 people that I arrest or give tickets to say thank you when our interaction is done.
But in a lot of larger cities with more violent crime, police officers don't have the time/can't allow their guard down enough to be as polite as often.