• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advise request - last minute resale cancelation

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
I have bought and sold several timeshares and for the first time someone is asking to cancel at the 11th hour. Signed agreement and resort assignment signed on seller (me) side.

The contract says I can keep their money if they back out but I don't think that is fair (+/- $6,000). They have given me no justification at this point and it sounds like they are just changing their mind or found a slightly better deal.

I am trying to talk to them but could sure use insight from more experience resellers and buyers of resale.

Thanks for any insight.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Where is their money at this point? Are you using a title company and/or escrow?

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Where is their money at this point? Are you using a title company and/or escrow?
Money is in escrow with closing company. I know I could get it all but that does not seem fair, although last minute post signing isn't fair either. I also have already committed to something else based on the money. Ugh

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Have you talked to the closing company about this - will they back you up?

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes and yes.
Haven't talked to buyer yet and the longer they delay the more frustrated I get with the whole thing.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So you have only been dealing with them through the title company? Did the title company tell them it was too late to back out?

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They sent an email to closing company asking what cost would be to back out. Closing company and I sent note to buyer without a response.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has the buyer signed all necessary documents to proceed?

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All but the very final assignment document from the resort. Their email earlier than the email I'm referencing said they were all set but would get to notary on Monday given schedule.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So here is the issue - you have their money, but if they refuse to complete the final step, how will you transfer the deed to them?

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can't but if they won't fulfill the contract they forfeit money to me unless we agree to something else.

If they are planning to do this because they found a better deal then they will go through with the purchase if basically they lose the money either way.

If the issue is they just no longer want a timeshare or this timeshare then they can get out of it by just forfeiting the money I guess.

Either way I make out on the deal and as I think this through with you my only move is to enforce the contract and keep the money, as if I do less then that I lose. It just not the outcome I want but it may be the only way I can get the outcome I want.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree - and remember, this isn't an issue of "fair or not fair" - this is business, not charity, and you have a contract.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't but if they won't fulfill the contract they forfeit money to me unless we agree to something else.

If they are planning to do this because they found a better deal then they will go through with the purchase if basically they lose the money either way.

If the issue is they just no longer want a timeshare or this timeshare then they can get out of it by just forfeiting the money I guess.

Either way I make out on the deal and as I think this through with you my only move is to enforce the contract and keep the money, as if I do less then that I lose. It just not the outcome I want but it may be the only way I can get the outcome I want.

I have no dog in this fight and no position to espouse, but do you feel that could you be "made whole" by retaining some portion (of your determination) of the money in escrow and voluntarily agreeing to the release of some portion back to the retreating buyers? Certainly not a recommendation, just a question. :shrug:

On the other hand, if the retreating buyers choose to maintain their current radio silence without further communication or explanation, keep all of the money; that might very well encourage and motivate them to break their "radio silence" --- sooner or later, one way or another.

Not looking to muddy the waters here. The black and white position is obviously that "there is a contract which buyers freely executed but are now breaching; buyer monies in escrow will be forfeited in toto to the seller, per clearly stated {I am assuming that description to be true} terms of the executed contract".

Last edited:

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Theo,
I think maybe but not if they don't talk with me soon.
My hope is they fulfil the deal but clearly I can't compromise with someone if they won't communicate with me about whatever issue/concern they have.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
What I would do...
-- If they simply walk away & disappear w/o explanation, simply pocket the $$.
-- If they concoct a silly or self-serving excuse, but you feel charitable, let 'em have 1/3.
-- If they had an unforeseen change in circumstances which warrants charity, let 'em have 2/3.
Or thereabouts... But that's just me.

Last edited:

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What I would do...
-- If they simply walk away & disappear w/o explanation, simply pocket the $$.
-- If they concoct a silly or self-serving excuse, but you feel charitable, let 'em have 1/3.
-- If they had an unforeseen change in circumstances which warrants charity, let 'em have 2/3.
Ot thereabouts... But that's just me.

Thanks -

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista / Harbour Lake
I mean, they could also 'fight' it and make something up, thus creating a 'conflicting demands' to the escrow company and force it to go to court. At least that's how FL law works, not sure what state you are in.
Its never as easy as "ok, just give me the buyer's money, thanks title company", unless the buyer signed a release stating to give you the funds. If they fight it and don't sign the release, you have to go to court to get the money released to you. And that could be a few months. Then while you wait in the courtroom, the mediator comes and chats with you guys and does the all "Just give them some of the money back, you might get in front of the judge and get $0, etc etc". I've had that happen to me and clients of mine in escrow disputes.