• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice / Help needed-- overseas Christmas gift

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, my dear 16 year old daughter is an exchange student in Switzerland this year. She has a wonderful host family.

I am thinking ahead to Christmas. I need (and want) to send her host parents a Christmas gift. I really don't know these people at all, so it's difficult to shop for something that's very personal.

Given this, I'm leaning towards a gift of food and/or wine. Fortnum & Mason out of the UK has beautiful baskets/ hampers for the holidays and it's much , much cheaper to ship to Switzerland from a European seller than from the US.

Does anyone else have any other brilliant suggestions? I do NOT want to rope my daughter into doing the leg-work on this. It's a gift from ME.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
How nice of you to want to do this. I don't have any suggestions, but I think your idea of some kind of gift basket is very nice.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
How nice of you to want to do this. I don't have any suggestions, but I think your idea of some kind of gift basket is very nice.
I am so incredibly grateful to this family. She loves them and they are treating her so well.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
If they do a Christmas tree - a special Christmas tree ornament would be nice.

Richard

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I was going to say a gift of food - maybe specific to the state you live in- but given the high shipping costs, your idea is a better one.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I normally order gifts from the host country directly. You cannot go wrong with a food basket. Wine can be more subjective, one person's good wine is another's not so good.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I normally order gifts from the host country directly. You cannot go wrong with a food basket. Wine can be more subjective, one person's good wine is another's not so good.
Great point about the wine.
I always say that about pizza, too! "Pizza is personal!"

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
What about a gift certificate (ordered on line) for a nice local restaurant for them? Google might help with restaurants in their area. Or perhaps a local spa or massage for couples, or a Christmas floral centerpiece ordered (again online) from a local florist.

~Diane

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
What about a gift certificate (ordered on line) for a nice local restaurant for them? Google might help with restaurants in their area. Or perhaps a local spa or massage for couples, or a Christmas floral centerpiece ordered (again online) from a local florist.

~Diane
If there is a family involved (not just the host parents) I think the gift basket is a better idea so they can all enjoy it.

Also, ordering online in a foreign country can be tricky. I've ordered Amazon gift cards for baby gifts for friends living in Germany. I had to have a German friend assist me as I was ordering them on the German Amazon site. I can't remember now why I wasn't able to do it on the U.S. site.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I think a gift of a Food Item from Illinois.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
That you're thinking about your daughter's host family says a lot about you, Cornell. It's no wonder they've embraced your daughter with love. A gift from Illinois would be a very thoughtful gift. It may cost a bit more for shipping, but would mean a lot to them.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
That you're thinking about your daughter's host family says a lot about you, Cornell. It's no wonder they've embraced your daughter with love. A gift from Illinois would be a very thoughtful gift. It may cost a bit more for shipping, but would mean a lot to them.
That is so kind but it is the least I can do! I am going to focus on a gift of food -- I'll just have to investigate some options a bit more. I did look to see if Garrett Popcorn (a Chicago favorite) ships internationally and they do not. I will find something!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
An Amazon eGift card is what I give to many people anymore. I wish people that are buying me gifts would consider the Amazon eGift card because about 90% of all gifts I get are given away shortly after I get them. I think that 90% of all gifts I bought for others, except golf balls, are never used.

Did I mention these e Cards can be delivered via an email link.

Bill

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be sure that the food you are sending is allowed into the counties you are sending it to. That probably isn't an issue with a UK provider, but it might be with items from the US.

Something specific to your area would be the nicest gift. Is there anything that's not food that might be good?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to ship a gourmet food basket from the UK. For me to ship something like this from the US would be cost prohibitive. I Also feel that it's a very "appropriate" gift for Christmas and for a family that I really don't really know very well.

FYI -- Amazon is not available in Switzerland. Trust me , my life would be so much easier this year if it were!

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I put a lot of time and research into this when my dd spent her first Christmas with her boyfriend’s family in Europe.

The best suggestions were things that are uniquely American (especially from well known places like California). Special Christmas ornaments also were suggested to me several times.

I ended up getting a couple of ornaments from a boutique that specialized in handcrafted items. My dd picked up some specialty food items unique to her part of the country. We rounded out with a box of See’s candy from California. According to my dd everything was well received and enjoyed.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I put a lot of time and research into this when my dd spent her first Christmas with her boyfriend’s family in Europe.

The best suggestions were things that are uniquely American (especially from well known places like California). Special Christmas ornaments also were suggested to me several times.

I ended up getting a couple of ornaments from a boutique that specialized in handcrafted items. My dd picked up some specialty food items unique to her part of the country. We rounded out with a box of See’s candy from California. According to my dd everything was well received and enjoyed.
Yes -- I'm thinking of shipping over some ornaments. I think this is lovely idea.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I think I'm going to ship a gourmet food basket from the UK. For me to ship something like this from the US would be cost prohibitive. I Also feel that it's a very "appropriate" gift for Christmas and for a family that I really don't really know very well.

FYI -- Amazon is not available in Switzerland. Trust me , my life would be so much easier this year if it were!
Are you sure? One of the gals I sent an Amazon gift certificate to for a new baby is in Switzerland. I don't remember much about ordering it, I may have been able to order it on the U.S. site for her.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you sure? One of the gals I sent an Amazon gift certificate to for a new baby is in Switzerland. I don't remember much about ordering it, I may have been able to order it on the U.S. site for her.
Yes I'm sure.

Switzerland is not in the EU.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yes I'm sure.

Switzerland is not in the EU.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I doubted you, it's just that I am sure that I sent an Amazon gift card to Switzerland.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I doubted you, it's just that I am sure that I sent an Amazon gift card to Switzerland.
No no -- I appreciate the advice. I learned about Amazon very soon after my daughter left and I tried to order an Apple watch charger (since she forgot hers) for her from Amazon. It has to do with VAT . I don't quite understand the whole thing.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
No no -- I appreciate the advice. I learned about Amazon very soon after my daughter left and I tried to order an Apple watch charger (since she forgot hers) for her from Amazon. It has to do with VAT . I don't quite understand the whole thing.
Maybe it's the difference between ordering an item and ordering a gift card.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Maybe it's the difference between ordering an item and ordering a gift card.

A person in Switzerland would need to order most items from an Amazon EU site. You can still send the eGift card and the recipient could order from all of the Amazon EU warehouses but not the USA.

Bill

[QUOTE
The online giant said customers wishing to send orders to Switzerland should instead use Amazon websites in the European Union – Amazon.deexternal link, Amazon.frexternal link, Amazon.itexternal link, Amazon.esexternal link, or Amazon.co.ukexternal link.

The firm said it regretted the change and inconvenience to customers, which had been made due to “changes to Swiss value-added-tax law”.
][/QUOTE]