• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice for Ft. Myers/Naples/Sanibel area

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Hello everyone,
I am looking for advice on vacationing in the Fort Myers area. We currently own Wyndham, but they do not have resorts in the area. I know Hyatt has a location in Bonita Springs, but it trades with II not RCI. Also, Hilton has properties in those areas.

I'm looking for advice on how to supplement our Wyndham ownership to stay in this area. I have searched for RCI exchange with no luck.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Buy where you want to go.
I talked to a HGVC-rep at a SW Florida property about the availability issue.
I said, "I'm told that those who own at gulf-resorts don't exchange elsewhere much."
"Bingo!" she said. "Those who own here, stay here, so availability is limited."

OTOH, I have found RCI TS's at Holmes Beach & Longboat Key.
I had to cancel one last May (hurricane), but Summer is the "slow" season.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hello everyone,
I am looking for advice on vacationing in the Fort Myers area. We currently own Wyndham, but they do not have resorts in the area. I know Hyatt has a location in Bonita Springs, but it trades with II not RCI. Also, Hilton has properties in those areas.

I'm looking for advice on how to supplement our Wyndham ownership to stay in this area. I have searched for RCI exchange with no luck.
Do you want to purchase something? If so, how often would you use versus trade? Time of year you want to go ? Size? How many do you need it to sleep? Would you go more south such as Marco Island? More north Longboat Key?

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Do you want to purchase something? If so, how often would you use versus trade? Time of year you want to go? Size? How many do you need it to sleep? Would you go more south such as Marco Island? More north Longboat Key?
My plan was to visit a couple of places first, and then look for a "deal" to purchase. We are looking for summer; if possible we would use home resort every other year. We could also use for Thanksgiving or Christmas (we will be visiting family), but I know that is the peak season. At least a two bedroom to sleep 5.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We really like the Vanderbilt Beach and Yacht Club in Naples. Gulf Point Intervals is a smaller resort also in Naples on Vanderbilt beach and we like it too.

On Sanibel we've stayed at Casa Ybel, Sanibel Beach Club and the Lighthouse Resort and Club. I can recommend all three. The Lighthouse Resort and Club has 3 bedroom units and the 2 bedroom units have a den instead of the 3rd bedroom but the den functions nicely as a third bedroom. The office has a list of weeks for sale at the Lighthouse if you wanted to call the resort.

On Captiva we've stayed at Plantation House at South Seas Island Resort which we loved and and Plantation Beach Club at South Seas Island Resort which we also enjoyed. The South Seas Island Resort decorates very nicely for Christmas and also has the Christmas Stroll on Friday and Saturday evenings from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm on Dec. 8 to 23. You don't have to be staying at one of the South Seas properties to be able to do the Stroll, but would have to pay.

If you type in the name of any of these resorts and click on images you should be able to see pictures.

We have a resort that is in the RCI point system and have stayed at all of these resorts through RCI.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hello everyone,

Are you specifically looking for a Wyndham? There are many resorts in the area that trade thru RCI. We own at Calini Beach Club Resort, but we were able to exchange into Calini a year before we bought a week.
Flexibility is the key to finding a place in the area.
I also suggest you check TUG Marketplace for an exchange, rental or timeshare for sale in the area. There are lots of nice resorts, that are independent of Wyndham, Marriott etc.
Silentg

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
My plan was to visit a couple of places first, and then look for a "deal" to purchase. We are looking for summer; if possible we would use home resort every other year. We could also use for Thanksgiving or Christmas (we will be visiting family), but I know that is the peak season. At least a two bedroom to sleep 5.
The independent hoa’s can be great traders and reasonably priced. When you visit the area go visit the all timeshares in the area and ask for a resale list.

I own at Gulf tides in Longboat key and it is my best trader in Interval. Prices are very reasonable. The resort is on the beach but the 2 br units are right across the street with the pool area.

When I stayed in fort myers at hgvc affiliate Seawatch on the beach, the HOA had some very reasonably priced fixed week summer units. These could be traded in hgvc, RCI or interval.

I agree on Sanibel Island that Lighthouse Resort and Club has large units that are reasonable priced and trade in interval as well.

You could also consider a flex summer week in hgvc affiliates on Marco Island. Eagles Nest and Surf Club trade in hgvc, rci, or Interval and are reasonably priced.

These in my opinion would be some of the lowest priced options with best trading value in interval.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We currently own Wyndham, but they do not have resorts in the area.

Wyndham recently constructed a new property in Clearwater Beach --- their first property with timeshares anywhere in coastal SW FL. I am not familiar with the details, but at least a portion of that new property is allocated to timeshares. Since it's new and still in developer sales, I suspect that it will be very difficult to "exchange in" there for quite some time to come. I am merely noting that it exists.

Demand almost always exceeds supply for timeshares in coastal SW FL, particularly in the "Snowbird" months.
Resale values seem to remain relatively strong in both Bonita Springs (only one timeshare there), Bonita Beach (only one timeshare property there as well), and in Fort Myers Beach (lots of 'em in FMB). If you are willing to be inland and a distance / drive from the coast (...we are not, but YMMV), Lehigh Resort & Club in Lehigh Acres virtually always has rental, resale and / or exchange availability in any season.

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited:

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
We have a resort that is in the RCI point system and have stayed at all of these resorts through RCI.

Thank you for the suggestions.
I assume inventory is different for RCI points and RCI weeks. If I am depositing my Wyndham points which RCI system is this searching?

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Are you specifically looking for a Wyndham? There are many resorts in the area that trade thru RCI. We own at Calini Beach Club Resort, but we were able to exchange into Calini a year before we bought a week.
Flexibility is the key to finding a place in the area.
I also suggest you check TUG Marketplace for an exchange, rental or timeshare for sale in the area. There are lots of nice resorts, that are independent of Wyndham, Marriott etc.
Silentg
No, I am not looking at Wyndham. But if I can I would like to deposit my Wyndham points to trade in RCI.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Thank you for the suggestions.
I assume inventory is different for RCI points and RCI weeks. If I am depositing my Wyndham points which RCI system is this searching?

Yes there is more inventory in RCI points than there is in RCI weeks which is what a Wyndham deposit has access to. But there is still a lot of availability and there are always new stays being added to what is available. I would think if anything came open at those resorts that you would be able to book them through a deposit into RCI. I would suggest you set up a search if you like any of those resorts.

I would never depend on a search or deposit getting you a Christmas or Thanksgiving week at a Southern Florida resort. Not saying it could never happen just that there is such a big demand making it pretty difficult. After you've checked out the different areas, visited the resorts and find the ones you like the most I would suggest buying the holiday weeks you want.

If you aren't familiar with the area you may not know that you have to pay a toll to use the bridge/causeway to get to Sanibel and Captiva. But you don't pay to leave. Some people fuss about the toll and refuse to stay on Sanibel or Captiva because of it but we and many other people consider it worth it because we love Sanibel and Captiva for the beautiful beaches and shelling. I think the toll is $6 per car. Sorry we have a SunPass transponder so just drive through. If you will be driving or even renting a car in Florida I suggest you buy a SunPass transponder $20 which can be transferred from vehicle to vehicle or a sticker $5 which you cannot transfer. Many Florida roads are cashless now and you will be billed by plate. Using the transponder or sticker gets you a discount on the tolls too. You can buy either on the SunPass website or look at the list of places you can get them once you get here.

You also learn to buy groceries before you get to the island so you don't have to pay the higher prices of the stores on the island for everything you will need just the stuff you need more of. There is a very nice Farmers Market on Sunday mornings on Sanibel. We live in the Fort Lauderdale area and take I-75, Alligator Alley, across when we go to the resorts on the West coast. We bring some stuff with us but usually have lunch in Naples then do our shopping at the Trader Joe's and Whole Foods there in Naples before heading to the island.

If you are staying at a resort on the Southwest coast of Florida and flying you may want to check flights into Fort Lauderdale. It would be about about 90 minutes to Naples, probably 2 hours and 15 minutes to Sanibel but possibly a few minutes longer depending on where on Sanibel you're staying and probably 2 hours and 50 minutes to Captiva. The local airports for that area are in Fort Myers and Punta Gorda. When we still lived up North we've also flown into Tampa and driven to Sanibel which was probably 3.5 hours. You could also fly into Orlando spend a night or two there first and that drive is close to 3 hours to Sanibel.

Have you thought about Sarasota. There are a lot of nice resorts in that area too. Sarasota is where the temperate zone changes to sub-tropical. If I wanted to have a better guarantee of warmer weather for a family vacation over Christmas I would probably look at heading south to Sanibel, Captiva, Naples or even Marco Island. MI has a lot of lovely resorts you can book through RCI.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
We are looking for summer; if possible we would use home resort every other year. We could also use for Thanksgiving or Christmas (we will be visiting family), but I know that is the peak season. At least a two bedroom to sleep 5.
We visit relatives in Naples in all seasons. I wouldn't recommend owning a summer week since accommodation is easy and cheap to rent. Christmas would be nice if you would actually use it. I would rent summer weeks at several of the resorts mentioned to test drive them before buying.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Yes there is more inventory in RCI points than there is in RCI weeks which is what a Wyndham deposit has access to. But there is still a lot of availability and there are always new stays being added to what is available. I would think if anything came open at those resorts that you would be able to book them through a deposit into RCI. I would suggest you set up a search if you like any of those resorts.
Thank you Jan for all the great info.
My in-laws are in the area but I dont know that much about it.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
We visit relatives in Naples in all seasons. I wouldn't recommend owning a summer week since accommodation is easy and cheap to rent. Christmas would be nice if you would actually use it. I would rent summer weeks at several of the resorts mentioned to test drive them before buying.
I agree, I'm hoping to exchange into the area.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Before you even consider coming to this area, do your homework on the red tide fish kills and the blue/green algae which currently have this area in a state of emergency. Water qualities are unhealthy from Ft Myers to Venice.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have experienced heavy red tide in Naples also.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Before you even consider coming to this area, do your homework on the red tide fish kills and the blue/green algae which currently have this area in a state of emergency. Water qualities are unhealthy from Ft Myers to Venice.
thanks for the warning. The beach is nice but the resort pool is fine. Our main reason for coming is to visit family but often that does not feel like a vacation. So we are trying to find a compromise between closeness to family and resort.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks for the warning. The beach is nice but the resort pool is fine. Our main reason for coming is to visit family but often that does not feel like a vacation. So we are trying to find a compromise between closeness to family and resort.
Then Lehigh Resort is always available, RCI trade or even extra vacations. I stayed there six weeks of extra vacations when we were looking for our home

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Last edited:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We have stayed at Lehigh Acres too. It’s a nice resort 12 miles from Ft Myers. At first look it seems run down, but once you get inside the resort you see how it really is a hidden gem.
Silentg

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Red tide was bad over the weekend. We went to Bonita Beach for dinner on Friday and had to sit inside because everyone was coughing and took our boat to Hideaway on Marco on Saturday and didn't stay long because of the smell, dead fish on shore and the water was so gross looking. I couldn't believe how many people were IN the water.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it has spread to Marco I can’t imagine what it is like in fort Myers

Last edited: