TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Added another contract

Discussion in 'Hilton Grand Vacations Club / HGVC' started by hurnik, Aug 22, 2017.

1. hurnik

hurnik TUG Member

Yeah, I'm a junkie. but given that I'm all out of 2017, 2018 and all but 1700 points for 2019, I kinda wanted more.

Just picked up a 7000k Flamingo (no ROFR) for $2500 plus closing costs. I consider that very reasonable. The "downside" (hence the discounted price) is that I'll have to pay 2018 MF but won't get the points until 2019 as the current owners have used up their 2017/2018 points.

But I knew this going in.

I'll probably sell my 3400 point in 2019 (when the points get re-allocated). Probably lucky to get $1000 for it by then, but it would then bring my MF price point in total down to about $0.145 from the $0.17 now.

2. fillde

fillde TUG Member

Outstanding! So if you add in 2018 and 2019 maintenance fees of roughly $2300 and closing costs, you did mahvelous. No ROFR is the way to go.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  3. AvianMan

AvianMan Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Hilton Grand Vacations
    OK - what is ROFR?

4. hurnik

hurnik TUG Member

Right Of First Refusal.

Basically:
    Hilton can step in and say "we're not going to let you buy it at that cheap price. We'll buy it instead at that same cheap price and resell it for a lot more to some poor uninformed person at developer prices". (BTW, my first purchase was as an uninformed person at developer prices).

Now, "you" as the buyer are not out any money (you'd get back whatever you had put down eventually). You're only out a "good deal".
    The Seller isn't out anything either because either way, it was sold.

So right now, Hilton is actively using ROFR. I can't imagine a 7k unit for $2500 being able to pass it (*maybe* $5,000, but again, not sure). Flamingo is an older Hilton that doesn't have the ROFR clause or whatever, so typically the units at Flamingo can sell for more than the other Vegas locations.

5. 1Kflyerguy

1Kflyerguy TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Kings Land, Marriott Destination Club Points
    Sounds like you got a great deal. Congratulations!

6. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

Congratulations. Did you find this on Ebay?

7. hurnik

hurnik TUG Member

Surprisingly, no. I had scoured eBay and the "cheap" ones were either bankruptcies and owed like back taxes/MF and by the time you added in closing costs, it wasn't a good deal. Or they were EOY contracts (no thanks).

I then checked Diane Nadeau (timesharebrokersales.com) and Judi (judikoz.com) and Seth's websites.
    I stumbled across it on Judi's, interestingly enough. I was looking mainly for 7k and above units and thought I must've misread the asking price (like was it supposed to be with a "1" in the front of it--LOL)?

So I put the "I'm interested" in it and then an hour later I was like, I'll just put an offer in on it. Ask was $2625, so I offered $2500 (figured about $1k in closing costs plus the HGVC $560 activation fee). It did say first use was 2019, so I kinda figured that the owner was in my same boat (having used all 2017/2018 points).

So, I cleared all that up with Dana @ Judi's place, and kinda crossed my fingers that nobody else had swooped in and outbid me or something.

Since it's Flamingo I knew there was no ROFR and was kinda shocked at the price, given that Flamingo's probably go for about 7k normally (in this current timeframe), since they usually go for a little bit more than the other 7k Vegas units due to the lack of ROFR.

Could I have gotten a better deal? Maybe. But given that I paid like $11k for a 7k unit at the Strip like 4 years ago, (and that was "good" at the time--LOL), I figured it was a pretty good bargain.

Now I just have to figure out how to keep from using the 3400 points from my 3400 point contract so I can sell it towards the middle to end of 2018.

8. CalGalTraveler

9. GT75

GT75 Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC-x7
    Congratulations. It sounds like you got a great deal. I also bought one in 2017 which had 1/3 of the points already used in 2018.

10. CalGalTraveler

So your total cost was:

$2500 Unit
    $1150 MF for 2018 (no points)
    $1000 Closing Costs & Fees
    -------
    $4650 With First Usage 2019 (no points for 2018) - you would pay 2019+ maintenance fees when due

Is the above correct? If so, great deal, AND you can borrow 2019 points to use in 2018 since there are no 2017/18 points.

(I imagine that this complicated situation was a deal breaker for many because one had to pay for 2018 maintenance fees without points, and first use was 2019.)

Nice work.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  11. hurnik

hurnik TUG Member

Thanks!

Mostly. LOL.
    $2500 Unit
    $975.00 for MF with taxes ($940 MF and $35 taxes)
    Closing costs, including the $560 HGVC Activation fee: $1573.00
    Resort Transfer Fees:$ 399.00
    Estoppels / Waiver Fee:$ 59.00

Total Estimated Closing Cost: $555.00
    Club Activation Fee:$ 560.00

So grand total: $5048.

Still not bad, IMO. I'll be borrowing the 2019 points for 2018 use, so it'll work out nice. Stupid $560 HGVC activation fee. Pew Pew.

haha

12. CalGalTraveler

Thanks for clarifying. It's helpful to understand all of the costs involved in a resale.
    LOL you are laughing all the way to the bank! :cheer:

13. Arimaas

Arimaas TUG Member

Very jealous of your purchase! I just got the following from Judi, but it seems like you got a much sweeter deal. Totally jealous!

5000 annual Gold season 2br on the boulevard
    $2500 purchase price
    Resort transfer fee $399
    Estoppel $59
    Closing cost $555
    Club activation $560
    Total purchase price: $4073
    annual: $895 maintenance plus $29 taxes plus $159 dues ($1083 total)