TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Add points to Welk Account???

Discussion in 'All Other Timeshare Systems' started by Philsr24, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Philsr24

Philsr24 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Welk Platinum Points
    We have a Welk Platinum points membership for every odd year. We are considering adding more points but Welk said we can only buy from them, is this accurate?

There are numerous listings for points on the secondary market so think that's not true but what i don't know is, if we buy additional points on secondary market, can we add them to our existing account or would they have to remain separate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mjm1

mjm1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Desert Springs Villas I, Ko Olina (EOY), Maui Ocean Club- Lahaina Villas, Newport Coast Villas, Destination Club Points;
    Westin Kierland Villas- Annual & EOY;
    HGVC at Flamingo
    We are former Welk Platinum Points owners. You can buy points resale, but they would be in a separate account. The disadvantage of doing so is that you would have to pay the base amount of maintenance fees, which used to be about $580 IIRC, plus any MFs for points in excess of the base amount. So your MFs would be more than if you buy the points from Welk. You would have to calculate how long it would take to break even or come out ahead.

Good luck.

Mike

3. nuwermj

nuwermj TUG Member

Do two resale purchase combine into one account? Say I purchase 300,000 from one person and 240,000 from another, will I have one account with 540,000 and one base fee, or two accounts and two base fees?

4. mjm1

mjm1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Desert Springs Villas I, Ko Olina (EOY), Maui Ocean Club- Lahaina Villas, Newport Coast Villas, Destination Club Points;
    Westin Kierland Villas- Annual & EOY;
    HGVC at Flamingo
    You would have two accounts and two base fees if you buy one or both contracts on. The resale market. Depending on the difference in purchase costs and how long you own them it may still be better to buy resale, but you should do the calculations to see how long it would take to break even.

Best regards.

Mike

nuwermj likes this.
  5. JohnPaul

JohnPaul TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
    Wow. I didn't know any systems did this. Good thing to know.

6. Guitarmom

Guitarmom Guest

Mjm is absolutely correct. If you buy points on the resale market, you cannot combine them with the points you already own. One consequence is that your MF will be about $600 per year higher than someone who owned the same number of points in a single contract.

One way to get more points through the resale market is to sell what you have & buy a larger basket of points resale. It will cost you to have two escrows, but it will still be cheaper than buying from Welk directly.

I highly recommend calresorts.com. We've purchased from them twice and couldn't be happier.

7. Shankilicious

Shankilicious Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Welk Resorts
    I know this post is a little old, but I just got some new information about this today. I called Welk Owner services and they advised that if you but points resale, you can combine them with your original Welk account if you and the original owner of the points you're buying resale go to a Welk resort together and sign their deed over to you.
    Obviously this would be a very hard thing to do as most resales go through third parties or companies but per my phone call today, it is possible.

8. Shankilicious

Shankilicious Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Welk Resorts
    More new info, you can borrow points from one welk account to another, even if one is developer and one is resale. This is per Owner Services.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    nuwermj likes this.
  9. Rtravels65

Rtravels65 Guest

Hi, I have read through a few threads and this is my first post here on TUG. I am looking to buy into WPP program with the intention of using it at Northstar as we ski quite a bit. I would be fine (as I am sure others on here would be) if I could buy smaller accounts as long as I could combine them into one account. Shankilicious mentions that you can if done with both parties at a Welk resort. Question, has anyone done this successfully and can confirm that you can do this? I would be willing to pay extra to fly the person out to the resort to make the transfer, just would really want one account. Any thought or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

10. Shankilicious

Shankilicious Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Welk Resorts
    I have more recently been told that if you can make sure that the accounts get listed under the same owner ID number after you buy them, that they will combine. I do not know how to do this though and believe you would need to speak with a sales manager to confirm. Sorry I can't help more.