TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Activities offered at resorts - do you even care?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by mdurette, Oct 7, 2019.

1. mdurette

mdurette Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

We favor resorts with organized activities....what about you?

I think of Bingo poolside at the Marriotts in Aruba, walking tours Marriott in Boston and snow shoe hikes at Pollard Brook in NH. Honestly, some highlights to our trip!

I am now thinking of an upcoming trip that at the moment is reporting rain for the entire time. I'm happy with the resort we are staying at because it offers "walk-to" whatever we want to do during this busy weekend. But, I'm finding myself wishing I was at another nearby that offered silly things like slime making to keep the kiddo busy.

wackymother and mpumilia like this.
  2. mpumilia

mpumilia TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    I can go either way depending on where and why we are traveling, but I cared more so when our son was young.

Of course the two resorts we own at have lots of activities, but we have done most of them and others we are not interested in, but it is nice to have the choice if we so desire. We more or less do our own things mostly now.

For rainy days we go to the movies or museums or shopping or sightseeing by car ride. Maybe a special meal out. If it is not raining too hard and is not too cold we will attempt to do an outdoor activity anyway.Then there is always indoor games- board/video, etc.

Icc5 likes this.
  3. clifffaith

clifffaith TUG Member

The only activities that ever catch our eye is free or low cost food/drink -- wine tasting, wine and cheese social, ice cream sundaes, s'mores etc. Worldmark Avenue Plaza is at the top of our list, had doughnuts and coffee one morning (and they were really good doughnuts) and a crayfish/sausage/corn boil one lunchtime.

wackymother likes this.
  4. bluehende

bluehende TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I like activities at the resort. Entertainment options are never a bad thing. I especially enjoy meeting other people at the resort and have made a lot of week long friends.

wackymother and mpumilia like this.
  5. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Not us. We never go to any resort activities. We golf, exercise in the gym, eat out and cook some meals. We have not even used the pools for the past couple of years.

pittle, mpumilia and klpca like this.
  6. amycurl

amycurl TUG Member

I like having the option of activities, esp. the food ones, LOL! But my daughter *loves* them...She hates to leave an activity unactivated. :D

7. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    We have rarely ever gone. But I like knowing that they are there just in case I'm trying to kill some time.

8. heathpack

heathpack Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
    Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
    Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
    Sheraton Broadway Plantation
    We don’t really care about activities. I think the idea of them is nice but we rarely participate.

pittle and JohnPaul like this.
  9. rboesl

rboesl TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
    Vidanta Grand Mayan
    Villa del Arco Cobo
    Grandview Las Vegas
    Vacation Village at Bonaventure
    We have done water volleyball, water aerobics & stretches, ceramics, cooking classes, and movie night to name a few. They really help fill in the days when you just want to chill at the resort.

wackymother, mpumilia and easyrider like this.
  10. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Wyndham, Bluegreen, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
    When the kids were young we participated in lots of resort activities. We often planned our week with resort activities in mind. Now that they're grown and rarely tag along, activities aren't as important... we often go the whole week without even reading the activity sheet.

I do like having a tiki/pool bar onsite though... that's usually where we meet and get to know other timeshare owners/exchangers.

DrQ, wackymother and mpumilia like this.
  11. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    Our resorts in Mexico are fantastic regarding activities for adults. These activities start late morning and end at 10 pm. most days. These include paddle boards , kayaks, volly ball, water polo, tennis, pickle ball, poker, water aerobics, tequilla tastings, wine tastings, themed evening events and many other activities.

My wife went on a resort restaurant tour where they went to all of the resort restaurants , maybe nine, and met the chefs and other staff.

The spa and massages are kind of nice. The fitness center has a pro instructor to help with equipment and work outs.

Yup, I'm heading that way soon.

Our USA resorts try to have activities but no one participates, including us, because they are lame activities compared to Mexico. It must be labor costs are so low in Mexico that the resort can have many things going on.

Bill

mpumilia likes this.
  12. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

We looked for the followings: onsite fitness center, golf, tennis, swimming pools, bike & walking trails..

13. Glynda

Glynda TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
    Brewster Green (two weeks).
    Not really. We've participated in one here and there but seeing the area is more important to us.

pittle, linsj and Passepartout like this.
  14. bnoble

bnoble TUG Member

Activities generally aren't that important for us. We are usually more interested in seeing the area and are typically out and about.

15. elaine

elaine TUG Member

It was very important with kids. We bought dvc because of the community hall and activities. Our last time for activities was We stayed at pollard brook. But this summer with older teens we did none at smugglers notch except farmers market, but had lots of diy day trips.
    As retirees i can see us doing more day trips and wine/cheese mixers.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    DrQ and mpumilia like this.
  16. Rolltydr

Rolltydr TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    CWA
    We aren’t interested in resort activities. The only one I can ever remember attending is a fish fry at one of the lakes in Fairfield Glade and that was only because there aren’t many good restaurants near that resort so we opted for the quick and easy meal. If our daughter is with us, she is a foodie and researches all the places she wants to try. Other than that, we’re more interested in what the area has to offer than activities at the resort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. b2bailey

b2bailey TUG Member

Never made a choice based on activities, but sometimes pleasantly surprised by attending something. (Like the time we won a bottle of champagne at Welk resort in Palm Springs.)

18. moonstone

moonstone Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

We very rarely take part in any activities when visiting resorts. Our home resort has a welcome breakfast and an ice cream social which we do attend because it gives us a chance to talk to other owners that we have come to know over the nearly 40 years of ownership and sometimes guests who are new to the area. We are usually staying at a particular timeshare to enjoy and explore the area, not go to the resort activities. That is why we hate, and often refuse to stay at, resorts with any type of activity fee. I would rather wear some sort of wristband to show I am not allowed to use the games room, mini-putt or take part in activities than pay a weekly fee. Often we don't even use the pool since our children are grown and don't usually travel with us. I don't mind paying a small ($10-20.) weekly wi-fi fee to be able to access the internet in our unit but that isn't a necessity.

~Diane

DrQ and mpumilia like this.
  19. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Dumb question: Sounds liked Resorts amenities are not all that important to most owners or exchangers.
    So why are some timeshare resorts now just started to charge for resorts amenities that are not used by the average owners or TS exchangers ?

20. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

There are a few we will attend, but none we will change plans to participate in. If they are having an ice cream social, we're there, but if it means missing a nearby happy hour, maybe next time. At a favorite Mexican TS, they do bingo in Spanish, so we get in a little light hearted language practice. You'll never find us on the fitness center, and we don't golf. Kid's events are avoided.

Jim

pittle likes this.
  21. Sea Six

Sea Six TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Regency - Marco Island
    Lagunamar - Cancun
    Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
    Some resorts are better than others. We like the food events. Lagunamar is great for that. Mexican Fiesta buffet, Mayan night, steak night, fire up the fun (chef teaches you how to grill specialties), and poolside games to win a bottle of tequila.

22. missyrcrews

missyrcrews TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Cold Spring Resort
    We tend to use the activities if they are free or low cost. We travel with 2 almost 16 yr olds and a 13 yr old. They still are in touch with friends they made at Smuggs over the last couple of summers...the teen center there is amazing!

At Cold Spring, we do a lot of the van trips, especially in the summer. It's nice to not have to drive, and we get to chat with other owners/exchangers. I can see myself doing those even when the kids aren't around. My husband tends to stay in the unit, and I like to get out and do things. It's much more fun to travel in a group!

It's not a deal breaker if a resort doesn't offer activities, though. The unit condition and resort location are still our drivers for choosing a spot to stay.

mpumilia likes this.
  23. rhonda

rhonda TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades, WinPointVIP
    We enjoy onsite activities.

Still missing the old Warner Springs Ranch with free horseback riding as an onsite activity. :(

24. Grammarhero

Grammarhero Official TUGBBS Rescission Master TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham, EY 434k pts
    Williamsburg Plant, EY 4L/4
    DRI South Bend, EY 1/1

Been to:
    Intl: Aruba, Aus, Bah, China, Jpn, HK, Macau, Mex
    US: AZ, CA, DC, DE, IL, IN, KY, MD, NC, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WA, WV
    Wife and I like to vendor outside the Ts resorts and their organized activities. We get the scene of local restaurants, activities, and customs.

Granted, on one occasion, we had to get ourselves out of dangerous situations.

25. Rolltydr

Rolltydr TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    CWA
    Sounds interesting! Do you care to expound on that one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clifffaith likes this.