• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham points
I believe Ron alluded to it a bit - You own a 2 million point contract, you buy 2,000,000 points, credit pool all future year points in the contract you just bought, and sell the contract with no points remaining in it for 3 years. You now own 2,000,000 points, but you have 8,000,000 points available to reserve.

It would definitely look odd at first glance when looking at account totals.

Has this been done before? Does the new owner, know this when purchasing ?

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, hummph. Who would want to buy a ts they couldn't use for 2/3 years. and pay 12k a year.

Edited: you ansered that question.
Maintainence fees! Are not $12k. I think it was somewhere around $1200/yr.

It more like a lay away plan. If you want Canterbury, and can't afford $7000 to buy it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, hummph. Who would want to buy a ts they couldn't use for 2/3 years. and pay 12k a year.

It wouldn't be $12000 a year
500000 Canterbury would be about $2000 a year

But the point so many miss is you don't have to wait 2 years to make a reservation.

I might buy a contract today that would settle in two or three months. Let's say that was a million point contract. When it settles I could credit pool 2017 2018 and 2019 points. And then put all those points into reservations and then sell the contract. It would settle in 3 months

So I got the benefit of 3 years of points for only 3 months of maintenance fees (plus the purchase price)

And the buyer will pay fees the rest of the year. Let's say 5 months. Then in Jan 2018 he can credit pool his
2020 points and make a reservation

So it's not true he has to wait 2 0r 3 years

there was a strategy with Worldmark that could be worked to accomplish the same thing, Wyndham stopped that by not allowing stripped contracts to be transferred. I have no doubt they will do the same thing with club wyndham

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Ron's famous Canterbury " free bargain " was IMO a great opportunity for someone who,was a few years from retirement and was willing to pay monthly MF "now " to own a 400,000 point contract with a reasonable cost per point that would be very usable at lower point Wyndham resorts for multiple weeks when retired .

FYI - this thread just past 100,000 views
Jan 27 2017 - just past the 5 month mark .

happyhopian

Reaction score
Well I need to do more research because I was told, and had it happen, that pooled points transfer with the contract. One of the contracts I purchased in August transferred over and my credit pool went up substantially. I had no idea of the reason or even the relationship as I had no reason to think this would happen. I called Wyndham OC emailed me back explaining that the points came from the purchased contract which had a pool balance and the current use year and the credit pool balance. Maybe they only had one contract or maybe this is something new and maybe the difference is where ron pointed out that he booked reservations with the points before selling the contract. Either way I am not confused as to whether credit points transfer with the sold contract.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I need to do more research because I was told, and had it happen, that pooled points transfer with the contract. One of the contracts I purchased in August transferred over and my credit pool went up substantially. I had no idea of the reason or even the relationship as I had no reason to think this would happen. I called Wyndham OC emailed me back explaining that the points came from the purchased contract which had a pool balance and the current use year and the credit pool balance. Maybe they only had one contract or maybe this is something new and maybe the difference is where ron pointed out that he booked reservations with the points before selling the contract. Either way I am not confused as to whether credit points transfer with the sold contract.

My experience is that points associated with a contract in the credit pool transfer to the buyer upon sale.

Reservations on the other hand stay in the account upon sale of a contract (as long as it's not the last contract in an account)

asreiter

TUG Member
Reaction score

It actually was me who purchased that contract and it was an amazing deal.......do you know how often a Canterbury contract comes available? or did you know they have some of the lowest fees in the system?? I knew there were no points available but as of January I was able to credit pool and book a vacation. Thanks Ron!!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham points
It actually was me who purchased that contract and it was an amazing deal.......do you know how often a Canterbury contract comes available? or did you know they have some of the lowest fees in the system?? I knew there were no points available but as of January I was able to credit pool and book a vacation. Thanks Ron!!

Honestly, No, No, and I was thinking it was like 3 years you wouldn't even be able to use it. Who would do something like that. I am still new to ownership, and still learning how to buy and where. Also, I thought it was a 2 million point contract. There is a big difference from 2000 a month to 2000 a year for maintenance fees.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't be $12000 a year
500000 Canterbury would be about $2000 a year

But the point so many miss is you don't have to wait 2 years to make a reservation.

I might buy a contract today that would settle in two or three months. Let's say that was a million point contract. When it settles I could credit pool 2017 2018 and 2019 points. And then put all those points into reservations and then sell the contract. It would settle in 3 months

So I got the benefit of 3 years of points for only 3 months of maintenance fees (plus the purchase price)

And the buyer will pay fees the rest of the year. Let's say 5 months. Then in Jan 2018 he can credit pool his
2020 points and make a reservation

So it's not true he has to wait 2 0r 3 years
When I read this, I get the same feeling I get when in a timeshare presentation -- just enough truth to make the sale.

The costly part remains untold.

asreiter

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I read this, I get the same feeling I get when in a timeshare presentation -- just enough truth to make the sale.

That may be true in some instances but Ron was completely upfront with me.........

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
That may be true in some instances but Ron was completely upfront with me.........
That is good for you.

By transferring stripped accounts, Wyndham allows other, uninformed purchasers to get ripped-off.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is good for you.

By transferring stripped accounts, Wyndham allows other, uninformed purchasers to get ripped-off.
No! That's fraud. Full disclosure up front is not fraud. By making that statement how many personal experiences are you basing that on?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

asreiter

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is good for you.

Then those purchasers only have themselves to blame for being uninformed, IMHO

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then those purchasers only have themselves to blame for being uninformed, IMHO
No, even those buyers who do as much due diligence as they can by requesting an estoppel, have Wyndham and the scamming seller to blame, because the estoppel does not include any reference to the stripped points.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

the pros and cons are always laid out for the buyer,(by me) and if I dont think the buyer understands, I dont sell to them. and with this deal part of my offer was if they changed their minds, Id take it back. as asreiter said, she was able to make her first reservation within just a few months after settlement

even if she had to wait 2 years, this would have been a good deal.

heres a couple of hypothetical million point deals to compare

possible contract 1)
cost to purchase = $5000, amortized over 5 years = $1000 per year
mf per year at $6/1000 points = $6000/year
annual cost first five years is $7000
assuming 10 vacations out of the million points each year we get a cost of $700/vacation

possible contract 2
cost to purchase = $1500 amortized over 5 years = $300/year
mf per year $7/1000 points or $7000/year
annual cost over 5 years $7300/year and
assuming the same 10 vacations per year the cost is $730/vacation

Now lets put the Canterbury deal in the mix

cost to purchase = $500 closing costs only
mf per year $4000 (5 years = $20000)
total 5 year cost is $20500

now remember we are assuming no vacations for 2 years so at 10 vacations per year we will get 30 vacations in the first 5 years.. $683/vacation

but the real test comes after the 5th year
in example
1) the 10 vacations per year will cost $600 each
2) $700
Canterbury $400

Interestingly it was the reaction to that Canterbury contract offered on the bargain deals forum that caused TUG to change their definition of "bargain" Now bargain means free and real bargains like mine are no longer allowed.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
the pros and cons are always laid out for the buyer,(by me) and if I dont think the buyer understands, I dont sell to them. and with this deal part of my offer was if they changed their minds, Id take it back.
The cons are significantly absent from your previous postings but good for you and your buyer; it does not change the fact that unscrupulous sellers can take advantage of unsuspecting buyers using the stripped accounts scam -- aided and abetted by the Wyndham transfer department.

The very simple solution is to require that all transferred contracts be paid up to date for the usage -- the seller cannot sell until they have paid for what they have reserved and/or used. I have no idea why this is not Wyndham policy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.