• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

About To Lose My Job

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Yet another reminder why FaceBook has been one of the most destructive of influences created by man.
I spend a couple of class periods trying to warn students about the dangers of FaceBook specifically and social media as a whole but mostly to no avail.
The best use of FaceBook is non use.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yet another reminder why FaceBook has been one of the most destructive of influences created by man.
I spend a couple of class periods trying to warn students about the dangers of FaceBook specifically and social media as a whole but mostly to no avail.

A friend's teenage daughter says Facebook is for "old people." The cool kids are using a bunch of other apps that are more in line with their instant gratification life model. SnapChat comes to mind, where your post disappears after a short time, or Instagram, where you can brag up yourself to the world, and ignore the comments people make in reply. Or even Twitter, where you can make inane, opinionated statements and type badly in short bursts; punctuation optional. (All of it way too much work for me to deal with. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING I have to say to anyone that is that important! I'll stick to recipes and cat videos. LOL!)

I heard there is a planned merger between YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook. They're calling it YouTwitFace. ;)

Dave

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to point out a couple of red flags in your original post:

Excellent points, and there's no way you or I, or anyone on this thread are going to be able to figure this out. But, I agree with your assessment that hopefully this thread is not found out by her employer. This is obviously a personal conflict between her and her boss - that's obvious by the consistent name calling of the boss by the OP in this thread. And these conflicts generally are won by the boss (obviously not always though). I'll say it again, the OP appears to want to be fired, IMO.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score

Good job on your attempts. :clap: I'm sure, as you say "mostly to no avail", is true. But you didn't say, "to no avail." If you plant the seed in the heads of a couple of them and it sinks in, then you can feel a sense of accomplishment.

I got on FB a few years back. I have a small rental business and signed up to promote my business. Connecting with friends and family was a side benefit. When I was really trying to get started in promoting my business on social media, I was on FB about once every few days. I know social media is "THE" thing. I know that failing to promote myself on social media may be limiting my potential. But I just can't do it anymore. Being witness to all this stuff is just too much for me. There's lots of positives to FB, however, that comes with all the actual and potential train wrecks of other people's lives out there for all to view. You have to take the bad with the good. I'm just not up for it anymore, personally. I haven't opened FB in months and the thought to do so is negative for me.

So I wholeheartedly agree with "The best use of FaceBook is non use." in my ever so humble opinion, of course. :cool:

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard there is a planned merger between YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook. They're calling it YouTwitFace. ;)

Dave

Yepper!

Though I haven't explored YouTube. We mainly use it for trying to do or fix something, and like it. The other two......my exact opinion of them. So perfect new name. :thumbup:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not have a Facebook account. I have seen individuals lose their job because of some of their outside activities were not up to company standards and policies.

Plus, you should not be on any social media networks during working hours. This is ground for termination with cause.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I have a coworker and friend who is a lot less discreet. If he gets into any kind of "situation" at work, whether it's an argument, a task assignment, or anything that he doesn't think is right, I can just about guarantee there will be some sort of passive-aggressive snide comment or meme posted that day (sometime within minutes) on his Facebook page. His comments are obscure enough that all his friends rush to ask what had happened, or did his Manager try to screw him over again, and such. Sometimes he explains his snarky comments, and sometimes he blows it off, saying they wouldn't understand because they don't work where he does. (Drives me crazy when he does that!) But it always results in somebody saying he's the poor victim, and they don't understand how good a worker he is, and so forth. That kind of pity party stuff drives me up the wall.

He tends to be a contrarian anyway, and thinks everything that he disagrees with is a conspiracy to somehow "do him wrong." I've told him many times he needs to stop doing that sort of thing, and he defends it, saying, "It's my Facebook page, I'll post what I want." I just shrug and say, "Ok, whatever. It's your future." I'm honestly surprised he still works there. In the back of my head I'm telling myself to stay back and don't get sucked into his stuff. (Coincidentally, he works for the Manager I mentioned previously. That may be part of the FB blocking she did.)

Definitely one of those "Not my circus, not my monkeys" kind of thing. :)

Dave

I used to accept FB friend requests from people who are under me at work.

Now I just ignore the requests.

Why? Because it creates ethical dilemmas. Like the time my receptionist called out sick and on that same day posted a delicious picture to FB from her campsite mentioning what a great time she was having and how she didn’t want to go home and back to work.

Oy. She was a good receptionist and rarely did stuff like this. Way better to maintain the fiction than to post something that you know I can see.

Had to mention it to the reception supervisor. It was not a huge deal in the end, got “spoken to” but no other repercussions IIRC. She still works at the clinic in a different position and I still like her & we are friendly.

But from my perspective, no more. I don’t want to know! If it’s aggregious enough, I’m sure some other employee with tell me about it....

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent points, and there's no way you or I, or anyone on this thread are going to be able to figure this out. But, I agree with your assessment that hopefully this thread is not found out by her employer. This is obviously a personal conflict between her and her boss - that's obvious by the consistent name calling of the boss by the OP in this thread. And these conflicts generally are won by the boss (obviously not always though). I'll say it again, the OP appears to want to be fired, IMO.

I think that the OP has included that desire previously in this thread. No new news there.

Unfortunately, these kinds of postings (in today's world) should be limited anywhere on the internet. They are now public documentation, easily found and could possibly be used to the detriment of the OP.

Mary Ann, I'm so sorry, at this point in your life, that you are dealing with this "crap". You were clearly on your way to the finish line. It sucks like crazy. Any outcome, at this point, seems better than what you're going through now. I have been going through my own thing at work as I head to my finish line in the not-too-distant future (29 years in). My husband, last month, got a major curve ball thrown at him that has had a major impact on things (20 years in). But neither of us are experiencing it to the extent that you are with your employment. We know what the options are and have accepted them (until the next ones come along). Gosh, I wish you the best. Try your best not to let this have an impact on your health. I know it's already taken a toll on your well-being. Hang in there knowing many here on TUG care about what you're going through.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
But from my perspective, no more. I don’t want to know! If it’s aggregious enough, I’m sure some other employee with tell me about it....

Exactly. And when they're handing out pink slips because of FB posts, the most they'll get from me is my (most excellent) recipe for Mexican Lasagna. :)

Dave

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many years ago my Daughter opened a Facebook Account for me. After about a year I decided it was not for me and shut it down. I don't know how it is now but Facebook made me jump through all kinds of hoops before I was able to finally get rid of it.

George

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I think that the OP has included that desire previously in this thread. No new news there.

Unfortunately, these kinds of postings (in today's world) should be limited anywhere on the internet. They are now public documentation, easily found and could possibly be used to the detriment of the OP.

Mary Ann, I'm so sorry, at this point in your life, that you are dealing with this "crap". You were clearly on your way to the finish line. It sucks like crazy. Any outcome, at this point, seems better than what you're going through now. I have been going through my own thing at work as I head to my finish line in the not-too-distant future (29 years in). My husband, last month, got a major curve ball thrown at him that has had a major impact on things (20 years in). But neither of us are experiencing it to the extent that you are with your employment. We know what the options are and have accepted them (until the next ones come along). Gosh, I wish you the best. Try your best not to let this have an impact on your health. I know it's already taken a toll on your well-being. Hang in there knowing many here on TUG care about what you're going through.

Thanks. Really I am good. Not stressed anymore- just get a little anxious. But to me, I have resolved that I win either way. All a matter of perspective and I have switched from the doom and gloom outlook to the wonderful possibilities that lie ahead in my life! :banana:

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

I love Facebook as I do not get to socialize and don't see my friends and family anymore. I think the key is "restraint" and smart usage. I particularly like the Private Messenger to chat privately with friends.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Doesn't even matter now. The decision will be either I become a 1099 employee or I will be out. This is what they have done at all their other facilities.

Then there is that issue of the additional marketing rep. they are considering hiring....which is suspect and can't be good for my job retention.

As for personal issues with the boss- no- not "personal" at all. Just a matter of bullying, harassment and discrimination.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just heard last night that after 28 years with the same company that my brother is with they are offering a buyout of 2 weeks for every year you have in for employees 55 and older. He is 56 and was planning retirement in 4 years. His company is doing great with record earnings but say taxes and other things coming up is going to hurt them. If you don't take the buyout and then are let go they get 1 week per year in. He is worried and thinks his job will be eliminated.
He has decided to accept the buyout and go back to school to become a teacher. His wife is a teacher and loves it and my brother's current job is very stressful. They plan on moving to a second home they recently bought (in same state) in a few years and then just substitute teach. He wants to feel he can make a difference in somebody's life. The job end is in May.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just heard last night that after 28 years with the same company that my brother is with they are offering a buyout of 2 weeks for every year you have in for employees 55 and older. He is 56 and was planning retirement in 4 years. His company is doing great with record earnings but say taxes and other things coming up is going to hurt them. If you don't take the buyout and then are let go they get 1 week per year in. He is worried and thinks his job will be eliminated.
He has decided to accept the buyout and go back to school to become a teacher. His wife is a teacher and loves it and my brother's current job is very stressful. They plan on moving to a second home they recently bought (in same state) in a few years and then just substitute teach. He wants to feel he can make a difference in somebody's life. The job end is in May.
Intel did this massive "old people" separation offer a couple of years ago. The people who were targeted were all older and had spent decades at the company. The package was very attractive, including fully paid medical for 2 years. All the people whom I personally know accepted the package. It was obviously age discrimination but since they made it "optional" I believe that was how the company got away from age discrimination claim.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

This is a good opportunity for your brother. He is doing the right thing IMO.It is good they are at least doing the right thing in terms of the severance package.

A friend of mine was also just offered a package and will be accepting it- though she will be able to work until the end of the year; and I have had other friends that were offered packages as well on their jobs. They work for big companies. Same going on in my husband's company. My company is small potatoes. I would be lucky to get even a couple of weeks, if anything, in severance.

Anyway, good luck to him! Sounds like he has a good plan!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I don't think you really are understanding the entire picture, but if you think you are- well than- ok. Appreciate your input.

When I used the word "coast"- I meant not having to deal with extreme stress or harassment or BS frankly. I do my best every day. I am no slug. If I didn't I would have been gone long ago. Just because I don't want to be abused and jump through hoops like in a dog and pony show doesn't mean I don't care about doing a decent job. I am no robot.

Yes- I am "chatty"- that is what I do for a living. No keeping my head down in this job. I have to look up- at people- in the eye every single day and open my mouth and always be happy- whether I really am or not. And talk, talk, talk and listen, listen, listen. One thing about me that can hurt me is that I am an open book- so I always have to work on that and catch myself. Very hard when you are an honest person and not secretive. I'm flawed- what can I say?

One thing- I am brave and not afraid of my own shadow like some people might be. Don't like the idea of losing a salary but love the idea of not working in these kinds of environments. If you like keeping your head down every single day of your life and working the assembly line - great! Not me! I need freedom and truth and honestly and respect with the people I work for and with.

By posting some of this I was trying to set the background/timeline of the events that lead to this unfortunate situation. And- by having a quit date it helped me to cope with what was going on- if things did not improve - kind of a mental game with myself- a way out. But after standing up for myself, things DID get better- at least for now. So I didn't quit- just moved the date back a few times as long as I can work without being bullied, I stay. If they let me go- so be it. And yes- the man's past work- with me- on the same job- including him getting thrown out of one of our doctor client's offices- is definitely relevant as far as I am concerned.

Fact is- this was all going to happen- the 1099 thing or the firing- no matter what I did or said. I knew this back in the Fall- just didn't expect this 'treatment" by the newly appointed boss, though I thought something was up when- during the holidays at the end of the year- before he officially became the boss- he hugged me and said to me- "have a nice life". This stuck with me as I thought it an odd thing to say.

As far as being annoyed- yes- I learned that lesson and will go outside and scream if I have to- but actually now I don't have to -I just laugh to myself and accept it. I keep smiling.

And as for his "pet"- I get it. It is just that he tossed a woman who was loyal to the company for 14 years for this younger person who was just there 2 years or so- a very good and smart person- don't get me wrong.

The Facebook thing- well he told me all these years I was the only person in the company he ever friended on FB- then he becomes director and immediately blocks me- not just unfriends me- but BLOCKS me. Very telling. I get he is the boss and might not want to associate with any employees on FB- but that was extreme- the blocking part. And- considering he is hiring people from the same family as his right hand person- that she is going to be overseeing- says something about him. In most companies this is a "no no".

I don't mention anything to him of a personal nature now that I am in this situation. In terms of my coworkers- I keep everything fairly vague.

I am confident in myself- just surprised at how this all was handled. But I suppose I shouldn't be in this dog eat dog work world.
You are amazing. I love how you stand up for yourself. Not sure I would have even acknowledged lots of what was said to you. Whatever happens I believe you will land standing.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My severance package YEARS ago was 50% pay, 90% tuition & books for any accediated college courses and paid for medical benefits for 1 year (one year). Starting after my accummulated vacation time ended. Did NOT added to any pension time into my account ... which then ment, I was 6 months short in qualifying for (their company) defined pension. A side (private) offer by a senior manager was, he could cover me for 1 year but NOTHING might be offered at that time (his way of saying, most likely NOT offered).

I KNEW he felt guilty at that point in time and was "cutting me lose"... I took the college time and got my MBA at a great private engineering university. I had taken my MBA test a year or so before .. and had my sister (a junior there) inquire about a January start (6 weeks away) with the MBA admission director. She & I graduated 'together' .. my parents were SO PROUD of us in our gowns on graduation day.

I got a 1099 contract job .... at a WAY BIGGER company for 3.5 years. Brought some real estate. And that is how I have paid my bills for the last 34+ years.

That above was the GOOD picture side.

The UGLY ... I traded (swapped) my new (18 months old) nice house for a 50+ year old place (1/3 of nice house's size). Packed up 90% of my stuff into a garage (detached garage at that "swapped for" house) and rented a college apartment for 1 year (slept on a sofa bed, ate off a hot plate). Finished last semester of grad school living between my parents' house for 3+ months they were in FL and my empty vacation home 30 miles from the college, etc... commuting 100 miles to class. Oh, I did have rental income from the 50+ year old "traded for" house and rental income from my 1st house plus "no cost storage" in my detached garage.

And knew not where ANYTHING was for at least 3+ years after losing my job.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My severance package YEARS ago was 50% pay, 90% tuition & books for any accediated college courses and paid for medical benefits for 1 year (one year). Starting after my accummulated vacation time ended. Did NOT added to any pension time into my account ... which then ment, I was 6 months short in qualifying for (their company) defined pension. A side (private) offer by a senior manager was, he could cover me for 1 year but NOTHING might be offered at that time (his way of saying, most likely NOT offered).

I KNEW he felt guilty at that point in time and was "cutting me lose"... I took the college time and got my MBA at a great private engineering university. I had taken my MBA test a year or so before .. and had my sister (a junior there) inquire about a January start (6 weeks away) with the MBA admission director. She & I graduated 'together' .. my parents were SO PROUD of us in our gowns on graduation day.

I got a 1099 contract job .... at a WAY BIGGER company for 3.5 years. Brought some real estate. And that is how I have paid my bills for the last 34+ years.

That above was the GOOD picture side.

The UGLY ... I traded (swapped) my new (18 months old) nice house for a 50+ year old place (1/3 of nice house's size). Packed up 90% of my stuff into a garage (detached garage at that "swapped for" house) and rented a college apartment for 1 year (slept on a sofa bed, ate off a hot plate). Finished last semester of grad school living between my parents' house for 3+ months they were in FL and my empty vacation home 30 miles from the college, etc... commuting 100 miles to class. Oh, I did have rental income from the 50+ year old "traded for" house and rental income from my 1st house plus "no cost storage" in my detached garage.

And knew not where ANYTHING was for at least 3+ years after losing my job.

You are an amazingly strong person, Linda! And smart! Terrible what happened to your pension. But you have persevered!

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were offered a buyout years ago for anyone with more then 10 years in. The offer was 1 week of pay for each year in. With that package there were no other benefits offered.
I knew one person that took it because he already wanted to get out and had another job that he had already planned on going to. He had almost exactly 10 years in and his new job came with basically the exact same benefits except even better retirement. It's all a matter of timing.

phyllispsu

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluetree Resort
Well, here I am- almost 62 years old. In my 13th year and the worst job I have ever had. Finally got to a point where I could coast a little bit and the company gets acquired by a management company.

Not to get into all the gory details, but they stick a guy I have worked with and known here for years in the top mgmt. position. From day one- he blocks me from our friendship on Facebook. He begins to over - exert his authority, I presume to let it be known to me that he is now my boss and he is not going to be pliable in any way, shape or form. Every email he sends to me he CC's the COO of the new company. He uses everything he knows about my opinions of various things related to the job against me. His tone in his phone calls and emails is like a knife sticking into my gut. I get annoyed with him- he writes me up immediately. I have never been written up in my entire life, nor have I ever been fired. He has his "pet" employee in the office with us writing up our conversations. OMG- I can't take it...

I am now more than uncomfortable. He assigns me a task he knows is making me miserable and so very unhappy, with an unrealistic expectation and deadline. He also fires a 55 year old woman who has been there for 14 years- someone he never liked, but has been loyal to the company. He puts one of his "pets" into her position.

I start to get the picture. I decide there is age discrimination involved here. The new company probably wants a high energy, younger person with some of the latest marketing technology ideas. They want someone at their beckon call- ra ra and all that jazz. Wants to work 80 hours a week and no life.

I am convinced he is trying to make me quit or find grounds to fire me.

So- I decide it is time to be proactive when I told him he was harassing me and his back went up and he said he is contacting the owners. I demanded the contact info for the human resource person and spoke to her at length about age discrimination and harassment and also about this man's past- which I won;t get into here but you would not believe it if I told you it is so crazy. Two of the things show his perception regarding my age and also there is a witness I named to it.

Since then, he is being cordial to me at least.

So at this point, the COO has sent an email to us saying she wants to address my work flow and also high tech marketing ideas sometime next week in a meeting.

The past 6 weeks have been hell for me. I find myself crying. I am so unhappy. I had 3 years to go until I could get Medicare and retire- figured I could take SS at 66- but I am just not going to make it.

I was sure they would fire me this week and was actually looking forward to the relief, but it didn't happen.

So- I have contacted a lawyer and am going to have to work on a lengthy questionnaire tomorrow. I do not want to keep my job. I just can't do it anymore and work in this situation knowing what they are trying to do to me. The only point of me getting a lawyer is to maybe get me out of the job with some kind of severance and my PTO days. Someone to do the talking for me as I get emotional and start to cry. I am afraid to try to negotiate a resignation. The other woman that they fired and was there 14 years got 6 weeks severance- but she forgot to ask about PTO days and she mistakenly signed the papers before she thought it through. At least she will also get unemployment. If I am not fired I will not.

I am not sure if I should even continue with this stupid project he has me doing as I want to blow my brains out every day doing it - it is torture for me.
Well, here I am- almost 62 years old. In my 13th year and the worst job I have ever had. Finally got to a point where I could coast a little bit and the company gets acquired by a management company.

Not to get into all the gory details, but they stick a guy I have worked with and known here for years in the top mgmt. position. From day one- he blocks me from our friendship on Facebook. He begins to over - exert his authority, I presume to let it be known to me that he is now my boss and he is not going to be pliable in any way, shape or form. Every email he sends to me he CC's the COO of the new company. He uses everything he knows about my opinions of various things related to the job against me. His tone in his phone calls and emails is like a knife sticking into my gut. I get annoyed with him- he writes me up immediately. I have never been written up in my entire life, nor have I ever been fired. He has his "pet" employee in the office with us writing up our conversations. OMG- I can't take it...

I am now more than uncomfortable. He assigns me a task he knows is making me miserable and so very unhappy, with an unrealistic expectation and deadline. He also fires a 55 year old woman who has been there for 14 years- someone he never liked, but has been loyal to the company. He puts one of his "pets" into her position.

I start to get the picture. I decide there is age discrimination involved here. The new company probably wants a high energy, younger person with some of the latest marketing technology ideas. They want someone at their beckon call- ra ra and all that jazz. Wants to work 80 hours a week and no life.

I am convinced he is trying to make me quit or find grounds to fire me.

So- I decide it is time to be proactive when I told him he was harassing me and his back went up and he said he is contacting the owners. I demanded the contact info for the human resource person and spoke to her at length about age discrimination and harassment and also about this man's past- which I won;t get into here but you would not believe it if I told you it is so crazy. Two of the things show his perception regarding my age and also there is a witness I named to it.

Since then, he is being cordial to me at least.

So at this point, the COO has sent an email to us saying she wants to address my work flow and also high tech marketing ideas sometime next week in a meeting.

The past 6 weeks have been hell for me. I find myself crying. I am so unhappy. I had 3 years to go until I could get Medicare and retire- figured I could take SS at 66- but I am just not going to make it.

I was sure they would fire me this week and was actually looking forward to the relief, but it didn't happen.

So- I have contacted a lawyer and am going to have to work on a lengthy questionnaire tomorrow. I do not want to keep my job. I just can't do it anymore and work in this situation knowing what they are trying to do to me. The only point of me getting a lawyer is to maybe get me out of the job with some kind of severance and my PTO days. Someone to do the talking for me as I get emotional and start to cry. I am afraid to try to negotiate a resignation. The other woman that they fired and was there 14 years got 6 weeks severance- but she forgot to ask about PTO days and she mistakenly signed the papers before she thought it through. At least she will also get unemployment. If I am not fired I will not.

I am not sure if I should even continue with this stupid project he has me doing as I want to blow my brains out every day doing it - it is torture for me.

I want to be out by April 1st one way or another. Or at least give notice by then or get fired by then. I haven't slept in weeks and I am in a constant nervous state. I am so done.

How are things going?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
"How are things going?"phyllispsu

Well- I am still there and quit date is expiring. Boss is treating me ok- like the "old" guy I knew in the past without all the craziness.

Weird thing is he is not sending out tons of emails like he did when he first started, but he is also not answering the emails I send him. Sometimes I have to send them again and he still doesn't answer them, so I have to talk to him in person to get a verbal answer. I don't get it.

The most recent conversation was that he claims I am not getting fired. That he is hiring a second marketing rep. He is not going to hire the 1099 guy who works for the new company and covers several sites. He says he pretty much does exactly what I do. So I ask- "what exactly is the new person going to do then?". He says the new company has a new marketing program this person could work on. I know this is BS as the person would be going to the same places I go to with the information. There is absolutely no need for a second marketing person.

Just think- the guy he chose not to hire is working for SEVERAL centers- not just one. And this company thinks our single center- big as it might be- needs 2 reps?!! I don't think so!

Then he tells me he really wants this other person- the the young woman I suspected all along who is related to his key assistant- but she doesn't have experience. She worked for us for a number of years at the front desk and he recently brought her in the train the newbies at the front desk and help answer phones.Then there is the one who works for our competition who he claims has been there for a year. I ask him why she is leaving and he tells me she was fired! He is concerned she is BS'ing him about her contacts. I explain she goes to the exact places I go to. Sure- it's possible she has a couple of in's, but if she was fired. well.....how good can those "ins" be?

I ask if these people he is considering are willing to work as 1099's? He said they were.

He says it is possible our new company might acquire that competing company as well as he heard they are not paying their bills and are in financial straits.

He then says probably by the end of the year- January 1st- they will make me a 1099 employee. I tell him there is no such thing as a 1099 employee. You are either self-employed or you're not. He agrees. I tell him I am not crazy about having to pay my own taxes and it would all depend on what is in the contract. He stresses again that they have no salaried marketing people. (Well- from what he was saying previously it seems like they just have this one guy doing a few centers, plus a Marketing Director for two centers). So then he changes his tune and says he would not make me a 1099 employee- he would leave me as salaried.

Of course, with this guy- you just don't know what to believe. The whole thing is nuts.

Yet- I am getting emails from the COO referring to me as the Marketing Director and introducing me to a few people in the company- her brother- who does graphic design whom I have been speaking with via phone the past 2 weeks- and also her project manager/assistant.

I have been setting up appointments for the new CEO to meet with doctors in the community. He did a first round and now next week will do a second round. All is good with that.

So- each day I tell myself I am getting another paycheck and I am going with the flow. As long as the environment stays civil, I am good with that!

Although in many ways, I was so looking forward to not working, LOL! ;), I am glad to have the money as there are changes going on with my husband's employer, so we are not in a secure position income wise. And we need the health insurance. So- I am plugging away!

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My strategy when there was personnel issues in the office: Keep my head down, do the work, and try not to be noticed. Don't rock the boat & don't make waves. Fly under the radar. Then, maybe they'll look elsewhere to stir up trouble. Of course, YMMV.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My strategy when there was personnel issues in the office: Keep my head down, do the work, and try not to be noticed. Don't rock the boat & don't make waves. Fly under the radar. Then, maybe they'll look elsewhere to stir up trouble. Of course, YMMV.

Yes. I get it. I am happy to be out in my car most of the time. But- it's hard for marketing people not to be noticed. We are the face and voice of the place out in public.