• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

About To Lose My Job

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone has a price.

I spend two mornings a week driving $400 in diesel an hour to fill up some heavy equipment. 1 day a week using a machete or chainsaw. Other time is spent driving workers or buying material. A few hours a week is looking for the next deal. I walked away (pushed) and am fine with it. Hopefully i can say the same in 30-40 years.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OP, I have to admit I was surprised your post continues to appear each day, thinking 'it is done'. I want a new thread from you titled 'This is Me' -- because I am interested in how YOU are doing, but tired of hearing about your old boss. He got 'dropped' from my mind. Hope you can do the same, soon. Best wishes for your next chapter -- anywhere but near him.

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I’ve read this thread since the beginning, and didn’t want to sidetrack Mary Ann’s story by posting this. However, this morning my pension check arrived in my checking account (only a couple of hundred dollars). It made me reflect on my career from 1963 to 2006 and how the workplace changed. The concept of Maximizing Shareholder Value came along in the ‘70s and completely shifted companies’ focus starting in the ‘80s. I saw men in their 50s lose their jobs—I clearly remember how shocked I was. At 55, you had a free ride to retirement! A memo at my company announced that health benefits for future retirees (after the August 18 deadline) were eliminated. It was obvious that companies no longer valued employees or communities—an enormous difference from my post-college jobs starting in the ‘60s. Today, employees be damned—what’s important is making stock market investors rich.

If you’re interested in digging deeper into this, check Wikipedia’s entry Shareholder Value. Also a 2013 article in The Washington Post, “Maximizing Shareholder Value: The Goal that Changed Corporate America.” You can find it online. It focuses on IBM, but explains what happened in business over the past 30+ years.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
OP, I have to admit I was surprised your post continues to appear each day, thinking 'it is done'. I want a new thread from you titled 'This is Me' -- because I am interested in how YOU are doing, but tired of hearing about your old boss. He got 'dropped' from my mind. Hope you can do the same, soon. Best wishes for your next chapter -- anywhere but near him.

Absolutely! Just that former coworkers keep texting me with updates! Then I got that call and wow!

So - I just received my 401k $ and had it rolled over into my IRA- so another tie with the hell hole is broken. And- it looks like my car is sold- will know for sure on Saturday. That is the car I bought 5 years ago for the job. I really like it, but no need for 3 cars now and it has almost 100,000 miles on it. Part of me hates to get rid of it- I lived a big portion of my life in that car every day- and the other cars I had for this job. It is almost like part of my body. My life in a car.....

But- I think it will be good spiritually, as well as financially, to get rid of it.

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
You won't believe this. I just received a text from two women I worked with.

One was in regards to him firing the nursing supervisor- one he had hired this year- not that long ago. I must admit- she was a bit wacky herself- but she wanted the phone number to the HR person to report the boss. Hopefully she follows through.

The second one was- WAIT FOR IT! From another coworker who I shared an office with and has been there many years like me -saying that the boss told her to contact me and WANTS ME BACK! HOLY COW! o_O

I almost fell off my chair! :eek:

She said she thinks it was a pride thing with him. She had asked him when the new marketing woman was starting (another coworker said she though she saw a new woman there for the marketing job since the other one quit) and he said- you mean the guy? (I am assuming this is the 1099 guy that the company uses for the other offices that he is not crazy about). She said he told her he wouldn't mind if I came back.She told him she could try to make it happen and he told her to go ahead, but that I quit- not like he fired me. SMH...

Anyway- I told her to not say anything to him one way or another. My brother said to ask for double the salary and make my own hours! Ha! Ha! Ha!:p

You can't make this stuff up! :confused: Boy-I never expected this! :banana:

You now have confirmation that they needed you more than you needed them.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mary Ann ...

I left 2 versions of Corporate America ... over 31+ years ago.

Integrated National Oil Company (my first professional employer with OVER 9 years of work there) sent me back for my MBA (1984 degree) ... 50% paycheck for 12 months, 90% tuition of my tuition & books. (Got last semester paid due to invoice being processed DAYS before the end of my 12 months of separation pay). And the 2nd big company .. think BLUE OVAL DE chemical company as a contractor consultant (my Dad had worked for 46+ years .. til his plant blew up due to its gunpowder production) .... now brought out also. I did ANYTHING I was asked .... my rate was more the DOUBLE my former employer's pay.

I invested that 2nd job's income ... and have not been an employee ... even ONE DAY since. I hire contractors to do work for me on my rental investment properties.

MY SUGGESTION TO YOU ... work as an Independent Contractor to your former employer. For a LOT MORE MONEY .... write off the mileage, work a 10 hour day/4 days a week. Get a WRITTEN CONTRACT!

Then .. enjoy those 4 day weekends ... just NEVER say "I flew off to the islands" or "..did a 4 day cruise" by stacking your '4 day/10 hours per day' weeks to be a "M-T-W-T with a T-W-T-F" with every other weekend being "Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon" off schedule.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mary Ann ...

Integrated National Oil Company (my first professional employer with OVER 9 years of work there) sent me back for my MBA (1984 degree) ... 50% paycheck for 12 months, 90% tuition of my tuition & books. (Got last semester paid due to invoice being processed DAYS before the end of my 12 months of separation pay). And the 2nd big company .. think BLUE OVAL DE chemical company as a contractor consultant (my Dad had worked for 46+ years .. til his plant blew up due to its gunpowder production) .... now brought out also. I did ANYTHING I was asked .... my rate was more the DOUBLE my former employer's pay.

I invested that 2nd job's income ... and have not been an employee ... even ONE DAY since. I hire contractors to do work for me on my rental investment properties.

MY SUGGESTION TO YOU ... work as an Independent Contractor to your former employer. For a LOT MORE MONEY .... write off the mileage, work a 10 hour day/4 days a week. Get a WRITTEN CONTRACT!

Then .. enjoy those 4 day weekends ... just NEVER say "I flew off to the islands" or "..did a 4 day cruise" by stacking your '4 day/10 hours per day' weeks to be a "M-T-W-T with a T-W-T-F" with every other weekend being "Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon" off schedule.

If one can get paid (more then before) and flexible then it can be worth it. One can always throw out a number and see what happens. It may be ones last chance. When I through out my number I knew it would be my last big pay day.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the ex-boss or company should formally ask you back, not a middleman. Don't give her a firm answer. Say they need to contact you with details.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Mary Ann ...

Uh- No. Just no. LOL! Thanks, Linda. I know you mean well!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I think the ex-boss or company should formally ask you back, not a middleman. Don't give her a firm answer. Say they need to contact you with details.

Agree. I told her before I hung up not to say anything to him.

I am actually ignoring the whole thing and going on with my life as an unemployed homemaker - which has always been my passion anyway. Will see how it all turns out, but it's only been a month since I left. Winter is coming. And all is well right now.

Plus, on Saturday if all goes well my car will be sold. Oh, well... :D

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Aware of the season? Or subtle reference to Game of Thrones?

LOL! Never saw Game of Thrones. Just- with winter coming- no desire to drive to a job every day in bad weather. Good time to hunker in.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Today-I'm in the car- hubby driving- coming home from having my colonoscopy. I get a Facebook Private Message from that same coworker again saying the boss just was in her office and wanted her to ask me if I was willing to have a conversation with him! She told him she would send me the message and after that she is staying out of it. I told her I just had a medical procedure and wasn't going to deal with it today.

My husband said I should ask for whatever I want. I told him I could not work for him and right now (and maybe forever) didn't want to work at all. If I was in the same room with the guy I would have to spit in his face!

And imagine me attempting to go back there after the Exit Interview where I essentially tore him down!?

Meanwhile, we are expecting our first snow storm on Thursday and I am happy to not have to worry about driving to work in it. And- on Saturday I have a funeral to go to for one of my ex-coworkers (sad- a great and popular guy- only in his 50's- lung cancer) and I suspect he and the other former bosses and some docs will be attending...

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The guy is such a coward. He should contact you directly. Is there anything you can do at the company that does not involve him or driving?

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
+1 for starting a new thread

Richard

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The guy is such a coward. He should contact you directly. Is there anything you can do at the company that does not involve him or driving?

Agree

No-The center is a local one- he's in charge. Basically employs techs, nurses and front desk people. The marketing job is the best in my opinion because you are out most of the time.

Anyway- I already sold my car! LOL!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
+1 for starting a new thread

Richard

I am trying to put this one down. I thought I was done after my past post- but then this turned up today. It shows how I am trying to move on but this guy just keeps popping back. Hopefully this is the end of it.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I am trying to put this one down. I thought I was done after my past post- but then this turned up today. It shows how I am trying to move on but this guy just keeps popping back. Hopefully this is the end of it.

Malignant narcissists tend to do exactly that. Don’t fall for it, stay far far FAR AWAY!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Today-I'm in the car- hubby driving- coming home from having my colonoscopy. I get a Facebook Private Message from that same coworker again saying the boss just was in her office and wanted her to ask me if I was willing to have a conversation with him! She told him she would send me the message and after that she is staying out of it. I told her I just had a medical procedure and wasn't going to deal with it today.

My husband said I should ask for whatever I want. I told him I could not work for him and right now (and maybe forever) didn't want to work at all. If I was in the same room with the guy I would have to spit in his face!

And imagine me attempting to go back there after the Exit Interview where I essentially tore him down!?

Meanwhile, we are expecting our first snow storm on Thursday and I am happy to not have to worry about driving to work in it. And- on Saturday I have a funeral to go to for one of my ex-coworkers (sad- a great and popular guy- only in his 50's- lung cancer) and I suspect he and the other former bosses and some docs will be attending...
Wow, at minimum he knows what an asset he lost. It would be interesting to hear what he has to say. It would also give you the opportunity to say what you want to him and that might give your full closure. If you did go back he will always be an idiot but you would go back on your terms and if you ignored him he would leave you alone.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
OP! You must have a plan? Do you have a plan of attack / objective? What is your plan?

As an independent contractor you should negotiate your actual salary higher. Start at the salary point, what you were earning when you left that position and asked for more. Remember this you are now not entitled to any more company benefits. Factor that into your negotiation figure. You should set your own working hours schedule and your time off schedule in advance.

Ask for a written contract with full disclosure.

Set how long, you want or need to work for this company in the back to of your mind. However, do not discuss or tell anyone of your plans.

Good luck.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Right now he has the clinical supervisor and the front desk supervisor going out today to do my job for a few hours. LOL!

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
If you are considering going back as a contractor:
  • Determine how many vacation days you want
  • Determine any sick time you may think you need
  • Count the holidays in the year
  • Determine what it would cost to buy insurance.
  • Add the full Social Security withholding which you will have to pay.
Calculate that when you negotiate your rate.
Get in writing what the job entails and what is expected to perform the job satisfactory. Make sure it is measurable. Check the boxes to keep the expectations in line.
Negotiate the contract the 6 months at a time.
Use a lawyer.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thank you all, but as HitchHiker71 said- this guy is a narcissist. I have more self esteem than to subject myself to going back there after all I went through. What would that say about me?

The way I feel is the conversation would be over immediately after I spit in his face.