• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

About To Lose My Job

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister went through many years with a boss that had it in for her. The boss would call her in in front of a co worker and reprimand her and humiliate her. Boss retired, things got better and then company was bought out. So at Age sixty two, my sister lost her job. Only the youngest workers were kept on. She is on cobra now, living off savings, hoping to find something for insurance when cobra runs out until time for medicare

uop1497

Reaction score
Sorry to heard about your job situation. No matter what happens, please do not resign. Hang in there as long as you can.

Your story remind me of my past situation at work. I worked for a boss, but as long as I do my daily assigment, he will not bother me. I remember we have a mid year review and he told me that " I am a reliale worker and he happy with my work performance.

After that, another supervisor ( in same group) took over the whole group and my boss is no longer in supervisor possition, just become a regular worker like me. The new boss suddently talked to new manager and we ( me, my previous boss and another co- worker) get a written warning . In the new boss eye's, we did not performed well on our duty and we were given 90 days to improve out performance or more consequences will follow.

I cried serveral days because I am very upset. This is the first written warning I ever received in my 30 years working carrer. After thinking and discussing with DH. I decided to fight the situation with whatever I have. At that time , all I can think is to keep my job. I stay longer at work for many hours and come in to work every weekend to make sure I never miss work the deadline for whatever job the new boss assigned to me. I also make sure the new boss knows I stay at work late and come to work in the weekend.

After 90 days, my efforts pay off. I am out of probation situation while my previous boss and the other co-worker get terminate. Since then, under this new boss. I still stay make sure all the work assigned to me get done before the deadline. It take a couples years until finally the new boss accept me as one of his people and no longer giving me a hard time.

I can never know the whole situation of why it happens and why the new boss target us ( me, my previous boss and my co -worker). I remember all around me , people I know, got lay off from work . Every week, I heard someone I know lost his or her job. It was very terrible and very depression situation.

I share my story with you with the hope that you will fight hard to keep your job for a few more years until you qualify for medicare.

My DH is about your age and not long ago, his upper management ask him when plan to retire. Iam not sure it is just a normal conversation or it is a bad sign . I just hope DH can stay at his current jon 3 more years until he can get his medicare. But who knows, nowaday company loves to push away old worker to replace with new younger worker.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Well, amazingly I am still on the job. Today the COO met with me and the director acting a mediator. He was very defensive. The COO asked me how I felt about the age discrimination after having this discussion. I told her I didn't know how I felt. I just said I didn't want to rehash everything and just wanted to do my job and hope all will be ok going forward. Then the COO tells me they are rewriting my job description and they are hiring a SECOND marketing rep. Says for the revenue our facility generates they would require 2 reps. The director then says I will have a lot to do. This is beyond suspicious to me.

First off, it is not a big territory that I have. Second, the Director just recently told me the marketing reps this company hires are all 1099 employees. Meanwhile, on their website there are no marketing reps listed amongst the staff shown- except one woman for two of their facilities. The others show none at all. Maybe their website is not up to date- this I don't know.

I don't know what to make of this whole thing with them wanting to hire another rep.

I am so tired of all of it....

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Well, amazingly I am still on the job. Today the COO met with me and the director acting a mediator. He was very defensive. The COO asked me how I felt about the age discrimination after having this discussion. I told her I didn't know how I felt. I just said I didn't want to rehash everything and just wanted to do my job and hope all will be ok going forward. Then the COO tells me they are rewriting my job description and they are hiring a SECOND marketing rep. Says for the revenue our facility generates they would require 2 reps. The director then says I will have a lot to do. This is beyond suspicious to me.

First off, it is not a big territory that I have. Second, the Director just recently told me the marketing reps this company hires are all 1099 employees. Meanwhile, on their website there are no marketing reps listed amongst the staff shown- except one woman for two of their facilities. The others show none at all. Maybe their website is not up to date- this I don't know.

I don't know what to make of this whole thing with them wanting to hire another rep.

I'm sure you are very tired of it. But if they're willing to hire someone else, they should be able to spread out the work, so you'll be better able to do what it is they do want you to do. If you see it as a way for them to fire you for not doing your work, they're going to have to really make it impossible for you to do it, if they're expanding your job enough to include another person. But maybe it'll work out for the best. At least for now you still have a job, right? ;)

Dave

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Animal Kingdom, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Maryann, I am so sorry to hear of your misery and worry. I unfortunately know the "Sunday sickness" on a weekly basis. I am only turning 55 this year so I have a minimum of 8 and more likely 10 years to go before I can retire. I pray on my drive to work every morning and ask for strength to accept that what ever happens, and know I will be okay.
I hold on to the thought that when one door closes another opens but still I feel nervous and sometimes afraid.

Hang in there and stay calm.

Trudy

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may like being a 1099 if that is the case. More freedom. One thing is for sure is that companies need fresh blood and not people who dislike their job and waiting to retire. Common sense not age discrimination. Hopefully the winds change.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
You may like being a 1099 if that is the case. More freedom. One thing is for sure is that companies need fresh blood and not people who dislike their job and waiting to retire. Common sense not age discrimination. Hopefully the winds change.

I am sure you didn't mean to be as callous as your post implied or as naive. Sometimes we all need to remember the golden rule...if you can't say something nice.....

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Sometimes we all need to remember the golden rule...if you can't say something nice.....

Except that's not the Golden Rule. You mixed it up with the Bambi Rule.

The Golden Rule:
Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
... IOW, "kill them with kindness."

The Bambi Rule (a/k/a Thumper's Law):
If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.
... Source: The movie, "Bambi" (1942).

The "Mr. Ed" principle is not as strict: Only talk when you have something to say.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Oops your completely right. My son loved Bambi. I had to tell him he could only butt heads with Daddy as his mommy was a delicate flower not to be mistaken for a skunk.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt

hmm, the re-writing of your job description is, IMO, something to be very wary of. They could use it to downgrade your position's skills and qualifications and with it your salary. Or use it as a reason to lay you off if you don't fit the description. They could be just re-evaluating the business lines and changing the tasks and approach.

Where I work, management does change job descriptions and required core competencies. But mostly after someone leaves or retires.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I'm sure you are very tired of it. But if they're willing to hire someone else, they should be able to spread out the work, so you'll be better able to do what it is they do want you to do. If you see it as a way for them to fire you for not doing your work, they're going to have to really make it impossible for you to do it, if they're expanding your job enough to include another person. But maybe it'll work out for the best. At least for now you still have a job, right? ;)

Dave

The thing is- we do not need another marketing rep. I have been doing this for 12 going on 13 years. Unless all of a sudden they are going to swamp me with some kind of additional work, I don't see why we need another rep. I have a small territory here and it is a very locally focused position. All the clients know me.

I suspect this could be my replacement. That is my point.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am sure you didn't mean to be as callous as your post implied or as naive. Sometimes we all need to remember the golden rule...if you can't say something nice.....

am1 has had this attitude with me for years now on most of my comments. I guess maybe the way I write my posts I come across differently to him/her than maybe others might see me- I am not sure what it is. He/she is cynical. But I am used to it and expect it form him/her.

All I can say to him/her regarding this situation is it works both ways. Employers have a big hand in forming the atmosphere and culture of a place. And my employer should remember I know all their clients and when I leave- no matter how it is done- I will be saying "goodbye" to all of them either on their time or mine.;)

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score

Not meant to be callous or naive at all. Based on this thread and others and no matter how she thinks her attitude comes across to clients it is not good for the company. Remember we are only getting one side. I would not want someone working just for a paycheck. I want someone that is happy to come to work, learn and grow.

A lot of times people are better off with early retirement or a change in careers.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
A lot of times people are better off with early retirement or a change in careers.

Based on a hunch, my guess is the OP is hoping to get fired. It should be noted that 1099 employees do not pay into unemployment, so you probably will not be eligible for that, if a switch in status occurs.

Good luck, Mary Ann. I hope it all works out in the end.

Last edited:

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Employers have a big hand in forming the atmosphere and culture of a place. And my employer should remember I know all their clients and when I leave- no matter how it is done- I will be saying "goodbye" to all of them either on their time or mine.;)

You're absolutely right, Mary Ann. Employers set the tone--and it begins with the person at the top of the organization. Does the CEO engage with other members of the team? It's natural for him/her to engage most frequently with members of the management team since those are the folks he/she interacts with most frequently in guiding the company. But at least once a week in a small business of 500 employees or less, the CEO needs to do what Waterman and Peters suggested a generation ago in their landmark book In Search Of Excellence: Management By Walking Around. It means just walking the office and/or plant floor, talking to people, hearing their concerns, sharing a story, learning a little about their families, encouraging them to keep up the good work. That kind of leadership creates an aura of goodwill that permeates the company.

Of course, so many other things are necessary to create an inviting and productive workplace. But the point is that the tone and personality of a company starts with the CEO and is embodied in the kinds of people the company hires in the top level positions.

Several years ago, we hired an extremely bright and capable CFO. He was young--only in his 30's. His outward persona was one of confidence and effusive good cheer. And he was a hard worker, creative, brilliant in many ways. But over time, we began to see that the confidence could often cross over to arrogance. The good cheer was often a mask for scheming and undermining others. The creative brilliance was sometimes misapplied in a way that meant he was willing to cut corners. One of our best people--a young lady who reported to him--quit. And then a second very valuable person was on the verge of quitting. There was a common denominator--and it was the CFO. After much thought and prayer, I fired him--and it created a lot of upheaval for a few months. But I realized that his presence was like a slowly-growing cancer that was metastasizing within the company.

After his firing, we hired a CFO who was looking for his last job. He was 61, highly-experienced and capable, a complete team player. He lacks the dynamism and obvious brilliance of his predecessor, but he's loyal, low-key, grateful to have his job, and wants what is best for the company. Since then, we've promoted several people from within the company to higher level positions, including two Hispanic men who've worked their butts off, shown great leadership, and have proven their ability to lead by doing.

Four years removed from the situation with the young but flawed CFO, we are much healthier. Our people are happier. They feel safer. And they know that--no matter how smart and hard-working someone may be--the guy at the top is not afraid of making the tough personnel decisions to protect everyone else.

Finally, you may be right about the fact that your company is hiring your replacement. My advice is simple: don't worry about what you can't control; focus on what you can control. Work hard. Stay positive, at least outwardly. Come to work with a spring in your step, even if you're faking it. Learn to become an actress if you have to. As another TUGger offered, save the tears for home. Overproduce. If you think your managers have a bad attitude about you, don't assume it can't be changed. Outwork and outsmart your potential replacement. Your goal is to leave the company on your terms and in your timing--and that happens when you demonstrate to the organization that they've misread you and that there is more substance and resilience to you than they thought.

In the meantime, you have a lot of friends out here in TUG Land cheering you on :cheer:

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect this could be my replacement. That is my point.
That was my first thought when you said they are hiring second person. Hopefully, they are just reworking the job into a couple different positions. Hang in there and do an outstanding job with all of your tasks. While you cannot control other people, you have control of what you do and how you do it. Let them feel a big loss when you do leave.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Based on a hunch, my guess is the OP is hoping to get fired. It should be noted that 1099 employees do not usually pay into unemployment, so you may not be eligible for that, if a switch occurs.

And 1099 employees aren't employees, they are independent contractors. There are specific differences in the two classifications, so don't let them just suddenly make you a 1099 "employee". I was going to do a quick summary, but the information provided in this link does a much better job than I would. https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/understanding-employee-vs-contractor-designation

Best of luck Mary Ann.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I first started working with the company I’ve been with for the past 15 years, I had a boss who told me: “Always make sure there’s at least one important thing at work that only you know how to do”.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI

Finally, you may be right about the fact that your company is hiring your replacement. My advice is simple: don't worry about what you can't control; focus on what you can control.

I agree with the above. They may split the job with some additions from other areas, have you train the other person and then lay you off/fire you with the excuse that they are eliminating the position and try to avoid any implication of age discrimination. In addition, the attempt to change your position to a contract one is troubling. I think legal advise is called for to make sure you have the strongest hand possible.

Do what you can to prepare and then just do your job the best you can with the best attitude. This will have the added benefit of helping your stress level as well. It's difficult to just focus on what you can control, but it is excellent advise. I have found that exercise, especially outdoors, provides the best stress reduction. Go for a walk when you get home or at lunch/breaks. Get out there and work off some energy/stress and at the same time you can think through situations on how best to react or proceed.

Good luck. As you can see from the responses to this thread, this isn't just you.

Sue

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand that while it is a small territory, maybe they want to be more aggressive in growing their market share. We ran a similar business for years and while we only had one marketing person, some of our competitors of similar size started hiring an extra marketing person or two in an attempt to grow their market share. The new owner maybe doing just that, by adding more marketing staff to grow the business.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Based on a hunch, my guess is the OP is hoping to get fired. It should be noted that 1099 employees do not pay into unemployment, so you probably will not be eligible for that, if a switch in status occurs.

Actually, they have not approached me about becoming a 1099 employee. Back in November, the COO did ask me how I felt about it and I explained I wasn't crazy about it because of the unemployment issue, the filing of taxes and so forth and also the fact I would need health insurance in a couple of years. She said that could be written into a contract. But then I said I thought it was premature to even be discussing this and she agreed.

As for getting fired, well- if it comes down to being absolutely miserable and getting fired I would rather get fired or resign. But, to complicate matters, my husband's job is not secure as there are a lot of changes coming down the pike again there as well. So, I am trying my best to hang in there. What I would like is to just do my job and not be harassed. I would like pleasant, professional interactions with the director. Not much to ask.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Not meant to be callous or naive at all. Based on this thread and others and no matter how she thinks her attitude comes across to clients it is not good for the company. Remember we are only getting one side. I would not want someone working just for a paycheck. I want someone that is happy to come to work, learn and grow.

Wait- what? My attitude is A1 with the clients! In fact, most of the clients (many of whom are doctors or their staff) come to our facility for their own personal tests. And- guess who they ask to visit when they are there? Yours truly! I do not put on a negative face to the clients- ever! I am always professional and sincere and warm. It is not my nature to be otherwise. If you really knew me- you would get it. If this weren't true, I would have never lasted at this job or ANY of the jobs I have had all these years.

In fact, one client just told me this week she loves working with me as opposed to our competitors' rep.

And- yeah- I would love to be happy to come to work everyday. The one thing I am good with at work is being out of the office and talking and interacting with our clients.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I don't have a ready answer for you. It all just sounds lousy. I hope it all works out to your satisfaction. Wishing you nothing but good luck in this terrible situation. :thumbup:

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You're absolutely right, Mary Ann. Employers set the tone--and it begins with the person at the top of the organization. Does the CEO engage with other members of the team? It's natural for him/her to engage most frequently with members of the management team since those are the folks he/she interacts with most frequently in guiding the company. But at least once a week in a small business of 500 employees or less, the CEO needs to do what Waterman and Peters suggested a generation ago in their landmark book In Search Of Excellence: Management By Walking Around. It means just walking the office and/or plant floor, talking to people, hearing their concerns, sharing a story, learning a little about their families, encouraging them to keep up the good work. That kind of leadership creates an aura of goodwill that permeates the company.

Of course, so many other things are necessary to create an inviting and productive workplace. But the point is that the tone and personality of a company starts with the CEO and is embodied in the kinds of people the company hires in the top level positions.

Several years ago, we hired an extremely bright and capable CFO. He was young--only in his 30's. His outward persona was one of confidence and effusive good cheer. And he was a hard worker, creative, brilliant in many ways. But over time, we began to see that the confidence could often cross over to arrogance. The good cheer was often a mask for scheming and undermining others. The creative brilliance was sometimes misapplied in a way that meant he was willing to cut corners. One of our best people--a young lady who reported to him--quit. And then a second very valuable person was on the verge of quitting. There was a common denominator--and it was the CFO. After much thought and prayer, I fired him--and it created a lot of upheaval for a few months. But I realized that his presence was like a slowly-growing cancer that was metastasizing within the company.

After his firing, we hired a CFO who was looking for his last job. He was 61, highly-experienced and capable, a complete team player. He lacks the dynamism and obvious brilliance of his predecessor, but he's loyal, low-key, grateful to have his job, and wants what is best for the company. Since then, we've promoted several people from within the company to higher level positions, including two Hispanic men who've worked their butts off, shown great leadership, and have proven their ability to lead by doing.

Four years removed from the situation with the young but flawed CFO, we are much healthier. Our people are happier. They feel safer. And they know that--no matter how smart and hard-working someone may be--the guy at the top is not afraid of making the tough personnel decisions to protect everyone else.

Finally, you may be right about the fact that your company is hiring your replacement. My advice is simple: don't worry about what you can't control; focus on what you can control. Work hard. Stay positive, at least outwardly. Come to work with a spring in your step, even if you're faking it. Learn to become an actress if you have to. As another TUGger offered, save the tears for home. Overproduce. If you think your managers have a bad attitude about you, don't assume it can't be changed. Outwork and outsmart your potential replacement. Your goal is to leave the company on your terms and in your timing--and that happens when you demonstrate to the organization that they've misread you and that there is more substance and resilience to you than they thought.

In the meantime, you have a lot of friends out here in TUG Land cheering you on :cheer:

OMG! I love this- what you wrote. And your description about the young man you fired is pretty much exactly what this young director is like- minus the brilliance! He has another side to him that I (and many of us "originals" at the place) know very well as I worked with him for 12 years. He is a practical joker; he runs a few other businesses on the side on company time; in the past has embarrassed me in many a doctor's office with his outrageous and immature behavior and a doctor even complained to our owner (at the time) about him. He has acted violently in the car with me in it; texts and drives and even passed a stopped school bus once with me in the car. He has made jokes about my clothes (calls my knit pants yoga pants) and age- called me mom in front of clients and even strangers- thinks it's funny. I never reported him as he was "above" me and friends with the CEO (at the time). I am not kidding about his past behavior. And- the office he ran in another state for our company was closed by the new company and it looks like the satellite center he co manged might also be closed at some point. And then somehow he becomes the head honcho at this place. Go figure...Now in this role he is overcompensating for what he knows I know about him. Now he wants to prove he has the power. That he commands respect. He has also worked some acting jobs- and so he really knows how to play this part of director of the center.

I will tell you I always am in Actress mode when I need to be as a marketing rep. But there is real sincerity. I have a gregarious personality. I am empathetic. I do like to help people. My forte is customer service. I am well liked. Just today, a client was at our facility and came to visit me. Happens all the time in fact.

I will say I am doing whatever they tell me to do. I am being respectful and pleasant. Not in my nature not to be. I am a person that likes to complete my tasks.

I am not going overboard however. I have learned it really does not pay in the long run. Meanwhile, another person who has been with us a few years was just fired today....

Again, thanks for your inspiring words....so very much appreciated. And keeps things in perspective for me.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I agree with the above. They may split the job with some additions from other areas, have you train the other person and then lay you off/fire you with the excuse that they are eliminating the position and try to avoid any implication of age discrimination. In addition, the attempt to change your position to a contract one is troubling. I think legal advise is called for to make sure you have the strongest hand possible.

Do what you can to prepare and then just do your job the best you can with the best attitude. This will have the added benefit of helping your stress level as well. It's difficult to just focus on what you can control, but it is excellent advise. I have found that exercise, especially outdoors, provides the best stress reduction. Go for a walk when you get home or at lunch/breaks. Get out there and work off some energy/stress and at the same time you can think through situations on how best to react or proceed.

Good luck. As you can see from the responses to this thread, this isn't just you.

Sue

Thanks. I exercise every morning for an hour before work.Been doing so for over 20 years. And- I am constantly getting in and out of the car every day- I visit up to 20 places per day. If I get stuck in the office, I make it a point to take a 15 minute walk in the am and pm. (I heard the "hatchet man"" was looking out the window and asking people if that was me out there walking.)

Soon as things lighten up more earlier in the morning, I actually walk outside and do litter duty on my road for the next 6 months.