• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

a very good retirement pension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always felt working hard and smart you should be able to save for the future and be able to retire in your 60's. Maybe still true some places but not in California. We know some great people that are early 30's that are friends of my son. They are married and she has a degree. She worked her way up in a Pet Food Company to become a Store Manager and make what my wife and I made combined.
Her husband (no degree) fell into a Service Manager job at a Car Dealership and makes about $10,000 more then her. The two of them make almost $160,000 combined. Between rent,food,utilities,transportation, and insurance they struggle to make ends meet.
I see where their money goes and basically they are on a tight budget. They have little left to save, no pension offered and do have 401ks that they aren't able to put much money into.
No matter what they do they are going to be playing catch up all their life's. Hard for me to imagine considering my wife and I are early retirees with pensions,paid off houses,savings, good 401k's good insurance and topped out at $42,000 each.
ONLY IN CALIFORNIA.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually it already is. I pay a lot more for Medicare Part B and Part D than most due to my earnings. It will be simple enough to apply a similar formula to Basic Medicare. Both my Part B and Part D contributions are deducted from my monthly Social Security payment. Because they have been increasing every year my Social Security payment has been getting smaller and smaller year by year.

Let me hasten to add that this doesn't particularly bother me as I feel fortunate to be in this position.

George

Meant to say we will be paying more, and I agree about helping those who are less fortunate. My point was that we need to take this into account in our retirement financial planning.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband would use the phrase "want in one hand, .... in the other and see which one fills up first" about wanting another child. You are certainly under no obligation to support them especially in lieu of her wanting another child when she already has two that they haven't been able to support without your help. I have to agree with you that this is very irresponsible given their circumstances.

I strongly support one parent staying at home with their children for the first couple of years if at all possible. We are currently subsidizing our son, who is our only child, so he can work part time on a different shift than his wife. She doesn't have that option. During the day he is Mr. Mom to their 20 month old daughter and six year old daughter who is in kindergarten. He does the shopping, most of the cooking and some of the laundry and cleaning. By him working part time on a different shift they don't have to pay for childcare for their younger one, infant care is more expensive, nor before or after school care for their older one. That is such a huge savings that all they needed us to do is pay their $100 a month cell phone bill. Without him asking I've paid his $150 a month school loan, before Christmas to help them have some extra money for Christmas, and twice when they had a big auto care expense. Our DIL is a teacher so when the school year ends our son plans to go back to full time. By later August when our DIL starts back to school our younger granddaughter will be over two years old and I have no problem with her going to a sitter or daycare as at that point she will be old enough to talk and tell them if something bad happens to her.

Last September I went up to help our son and DIL out for almost a month while he trained full time on days for a new position. I saw how complicated their lives were with both of them working full time. I would gladly continue to pay their $100 a month cellphone bill and the school loan a couple of times a year to have our son stay part time another year until the younger one is three years old. By then she will benefit from the socialization of being around other children her age on a regular basis. But that is their decision.

The jobs and schedules our son and DIL worked when their first child was born meant that they didn't need child care her first year. After that their schedules changed and they had to find a sitter three days a week. A couple of months later the sitter, who was wonderful, was offered a full time job by a previous employer. The new sitter was someone their neighbor had known when the sitter was growing up and had known her whole family for years. The sitter was now 25 or 26 and married.

The job my son had at that time meant he had to work killer hours from Thanksgiving through New Years. Our DIL is a music teacher and at that time was working at two Catholic schools, both of which had Christmas programs that were her responsibility. She also taught private lessons and was the music director for a Church so had extra responsibilities during the Christmas season with their Praise band and choir. I flew up to help the day the flights dropped after Thanksgiving, staying 3 weeks until the flights went up in price just before Christmas. Our son warned me before I got there that his daughter might not want to go to me as she was belatedly going through the strange stage with other people. I thought this was odd as she had never shown any signs of this before and was one of the happiest, least fussy babies I have ever seen. When I got there she was thrilled to see me. Over the next few days I was shocked about the changes I saw in our granddaughter that had developed in just the six weeks she had been going to this sitter. During this time my husband was able to spend a couple of days with us. He too noticed and was upset by the changes in our granddaughter.

I told our son that I had a very bad feeling about this sitter and how upset and worried I was about the changes in their daughter. By this point I'm having a come to Jesus talk with him and I'm in my take no prisoners state of mind. When I get to that point it has never once in his life gone well for him and he had finally learned that he better pay close attention to what I'm telling him. I had been telling our son when we talked on the phone that the things he was telling me about their daughter since she started with that sitter weren't normal. He reminded me that they had asked other people, including my DIL's Mother and older sister about the changes in a child when they get to the toddler stage. They had been chalking up what they were seeing to that. I only had the one child but my DIL's mother and sister both had 3 each so they were seen as being a more reliable source than I was even though they were rarely around the child and not in frequent communication with his wife like he is with his Father and me. I restrained myself from verbally ripping him a new one because I could see that he knew he deserved it and asked him please, please, please find someone else.

Our son was still working killer hours so asked our DIL to take care of finding a new sitter since she was free for the rest of her break once Christmas was past. Our DIL only picked their daughter up from the sitter so just thought the crying for Mommy when she got there was normal at that age. I could have just kicked her in the behind because I had picked their daughter up from the first sitter just a few months before and she was all smiles and waving bye-bye to that sitter. Our DIL didn't do what our son asked her to do. When our DIL started back after break our son had to take their daughter back to the same sitter, she started crying as soon as he turned on the sitter's street. He figured since she hadn't been there since before Thanksgiving, over 7 weeks ago and she only went to that sitter for about 6 six weeks, that at 17 months she couldn't possibly know where she was. The second day she started sobbing so uncontrollably that our son was really scared. He called me on his way to work half in tears saying she absolutely did know where she was, that he was sure that I was right in saying there was something wrong and they shouldn't take her back to this sitter. He ended up leaving work early to go get her and he had a new sitter by the end of the day. Which by the way was someone a co-worker of his raved about and said her kids loved and he had told his wife to contact. Our DIL wasn't entirely convinced about what our son and I suspected until the new sitter commented about the change in their daughter within the first two weeks of being there. They had never said anything about the previous sitter. Then our DIL felt really guilty and I'm happy to say our son wasn't at all sympathetic and came down on her hard. We will never know what went on but it became very clear to both our son and DIL that something certainly had.

The first four years of a child's life are the most important years of their lives developmentally. If you can truly say that your daughter is a wonderful and loving mother to your grandchildren and you won't go broke helping them out then it is so worth doing so. However adding another child to already strained finances is not a wise decision. That would make three children under the age of four, then add money problems to that. Too many marriages don't survive. I've observed that many of the younger generation simply have no concept of how expensive it will be when their kids get involved in sports, become teenagers, start driving, go to college, etc. Your daughter and SIL are already behind financially and she really needs to go back to work in another year to eighteen months. But maybe they will win the lottery or have someone in one of their families die and leave them a nice chunk of money to get their heads above water before their kids can be self supporting.

BTW our son and DIL never intended to have a second child. They've struggled financially their entire marriage and with their first ready to start school weren't going to have to pay for daycare anymore so would finally start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. This was their second oops and they are making very sure there are no more oops! Their plan when they got married was to wait five years before they started a family. Two months into their marriage and they were expecting. Life doesn't always go as planned! I do give my son credit as he contributes as much to his 401K as his company matches and has never touched it. Unlike his wife who will get a State teacher's pension, he knows the chances aren't good that he will ever have a pension from an employer.

We lived frugally for the first nine years we were married so that I would be able to stay at home with any children we might have. This was very important to both of us and a goal we worked hard and sacrificed to make happen. My Father was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis when I was 11 years old and only had social security to live on but he would have been glad to help both my sister and I if he had been able to work. Neither of my parents had parents who were in any position to help them monetarily. However when my Mother went back to work when I was 18 months old my Father took me every day to his parents house for his Mother to take care of me. This continued until I was about 4.5 and my sister was born. Those grandparents always had a big garden that supplied them, us and my aunt's family. My paternal grandfather paid me for my A's and B's from the 4th grade when we started getting letter grades until he died when I was 16. Of course like any kid I liked the money but that he cared so much about my grades that he paid me and was proud of me was what was really important to me. My father was having health problems by then and my parents were not in any position to reward me for my grades like many other parents did so my grandfather stepped up. He would ask about those B's, not making me feel bad about them, but in a way that made me feel like he cared whether or not I liked a subject or it wasn't as easy for me as other subjects. Not all help comes in the form of money. My widowed MIL was 92 when she passed a few years ago and she clung to her money with the excuse that no one ever helped them. Which was absolutely not true as both sets of parents had helped them quite a bit and she inherited a nice amount from her Father. My husband's two older brothers still talk about when their Father's Mother showed up with a grocery bag full of money so their parents could pay off their house and other things both sets of grandparents did for their family. And I'm sure there were other things they didn't know about when they were little or weren't aware of when they were older. So instead of helping all five of her children when they had young families and could have used the help, money or otherwise, they inherited the money when they were old enough to no longer need the help. Yet during all of their younger years when they struggled to get the bills paid each month their Mother was always quick to criticize that none of them were saving or saving enough. All five of her children are smart, hardworking, none of them into drinking or drugs, or the type to sponge off her. All four of her boys have been good husbands and fathers too. She wasn't interested in her grandchildren and I don't remember her ever praising or rewarding them for anything they accomplished. Although she was thrilled to brag to her friends about anything they did she considered worthwhile. She was very fortunate that my husband's Father thought the world of his Mother and drilled into his children that they should love and be good to their Mother. I would rather die a pauper than be remembered like my husband and his siblings remember their Mother, that money was more important to her than they were.

Trust me, given the amount of staggering financial support we have provided (despite the fact they have been financially reckless with what we gave them) over the last four years, we will have no regrets.

geekette

Reaction score
The problem is she needs to work. Her husband was out of work for a while and now has a job, but not nearly enough to support a growing family and save for retirement. I've lost count of how many times we've bailed them out. The amount we've spent (mainly because our daughter doesn't 'want' to work) has been substantial. We may end up being estranged from our grandchildren, but this is the last time.
Oh my! It was very clear that I was on my own, with limited assistance available while I was getting myself thru first degree only. We were told to make our decisions carefully because we would live with all consequences of those decisions. I would never have been bailed out for not wanting to work, what a dream come true. Wow, you are much more generous than I would ever be. No one owes me a living, and I owe no one a living. Get back to YOUR life plans. The daughter is a full grown woman with degrees I assume you also paid for. Practice Tough Love and believe that it will benefit your grandchildren. If nothing else, they will learn that choices have consequences and that is not a bad thing to learn as young as possible.

I'm sorry that you have felt obligated to finance her life choices. You are way past off the hook for that. You and spouse owe a comfortable retirement to yourselves.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh my! It was very clear that I was on my own, with limited assistance available while I was getting myself thru first degree only. We were told to make our decisions carefully because we would live with all consequences of those decisions. I would never have been bailed out for not wanting to work, what a dream come true. Wow, you are much more generous than I would ever be. No one owes me a living, and I owe no one a living. Get back to YOUR life plans. The daughter is a full grown woman with degrees I assume you also paid for. Practice Tough Love and believe that it will benefit your grandchildren. If nothing else, they will learn that choices have consequences and that is not a bad thing to learn as young as possible.

I'm sorry that you have felt obligated to finance her life choices. You are way past off the hook for that. You and spouse owe a comfortable retirement to yourselves.

Thanks. I needed to hear this..

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I always felt working hard and smart you should be able to save for the future and be able to retire in your 60's. Maybe still true some places but not in California. We know some great people that are early 30's that are friends of my son. They are married and she has a degree. She worked her way up in a Pet Food Company to become a Store Manager and make what my wife and I made combined.
Her husband (no degree) fell into a Service Manager job at a Car Dealership and makes about $10,000 more then her. The two of them make almost $160,000 combined. Between rent,food,utilities,transportation, and insurance they struggle to make ends meet.
I see where their money goes and basically they are on a tight budget. They have little left to save, no pension offered and do have 401ks that they aren't able to put much money into.
No matter what they do they are going to be playing catch up all their life's. Hard for me to imagine considering my wife and I are early retirees with pensions,paid off houses,savings, good 401k's good insurance and topped out at $42,000 each.
ONLY IN CALIFORNIA.

Well- throw New York in there. We do fine right now with both working but when we retire we will be in deep poop mainly due to school and property taxes, and insurances.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well- throw New York in there. We do fine right now with both working but when we retire we will be in deep poop mainly due to school and property taxes, and insurances.

Mary Ann, is moving to another state a possibility?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Mary Ann, is moving to another state a possibility?

That's the plan. New Hampshire where our son lives. Though property taxes are high there- just not as high as here. No income tax and or sales tax which is good.

And the real estate market is not good where we live and who knows what the mortgage rates will be for buyers when it comes time to sell. We have to hope we can sell our home and get enough for it to buy something else. So far it has not appreciated like it should have, even though it is totally updated and on a lot of land. Even after 30 years! Not going to be easy to get something decent for the money in NH compared to what we have now. I have a lot of anxiety over it. Plus we will be pushing 70 by then almost. The logistics of moving. UGH! But we HAVE to move one way or another....We can not stay here with no support system and alone and in seclusion.

Sigh.....

geekette

Reaction score
Thanks. I needed to hear this..
I also sent you a cyber hug. Pass some on to your husband as you say to each other "we are good parents, we are good people, we have done our best." You are both hereby off the hook for life choices made by others and encouraged to attend to the future you both want for yourselves. You are entitled to happiness together.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's the plan. New Hampshire where our son lives. Though property taxes are high there- just not as high as here. No income tax and or sales tax which is good.

And the real estate market is not good where we live and who knows what the mortgage rates will be for buyers when it comes time to sell. We have to hope we can sell our home and get enough for it to buy something else. So far it has not appreciated like it should have, even though it is totally updated and on a lot of land. Even after 30 years! Not going to be easy to get something decent for the money in NH compared to what we have now. I have a lot of anxiety over it. Plus we will be pushing 70 by then almost. The logistics of moving. UGH! But we HAVE to move one way or another....We can not stay here with no support system and alone and in seclusion.

Sigh.....

You've posted about your situation numerous times, and it makes me feel bad every time. So, my input is: Why don't you do something NOW, instead of later? If I were you, I wouldn't want to be caught in a situation where I had to act immediately (sell house in down market) because something unplanned occurs. My personal opinion is that you'd be better off to address this situation while you're both still healthy and employed, than later, when that might not be true. Have you considered perhaps selling your property now and renting something closer to work until you retire? Or something along those lines?

Like I said, it's just my opinion, and I'm only trying to be helpful since you seem to be a very nice person. Please disregard if it's not helpful.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
ONLY IN CALIFORNIA.

I have to say, yes California is expensive, but with an income of 160k I cry bulls... I make 20% less, pay 3k in housing costs and live just fine as a single parent (prior to recent marriage) and max out my 401k at 24k a year. They are doing something wrong. I always tell co workers if you put in your 401k you lower your tax burden. They just need to stop buying stuff they don't need.

There are wants and needs. I want a fancy car but I don't need 1, haven't had a car payment in 11 years I have co workers who make less than half what I make and they all drive newer fancier more expensive cars and complain how they live paycheck to paycheck. People have to make choices in life.

My son has brains and ability but 4 years out of high school he has less than a year of college and just informed me he is not going back. I love him but I will never support him. I offered to pay 100% of his college costs and he has chosen to not go. His choice. I am praying his sister takes a different path. I am not sure how he will support himself but he will have to figure it out.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to say, yes California is expensive, but with an income of 160k I cry bulls... I make 20% less, pay 3k in housing costs and live just fine as a single parent (prior to recent marriage) and max out my 401k at 24k a year. They are doing something wrong. I always tell co workers if you put in your 401k you lower your tax burden. They just need to stop buying stuff they don't need.

There are wants and needs. I want a fancy car but I don't need 1, haven't had a car payment in 11 years I have co workers who make less than half what I make and they all drive newer fancier more expensive cars and complain how they live paycheck to paycheck. People have to make choices in life.

My son has brains and ability but 4 years out of high school he has less than a year of college and just informed me he is not going back. I love him but I will never support him. I offered to pay 100% of his college costs and he has chosen to not go. His choice. I am praying his sister takes a different path. I am not sure how he will support himself but he will have to figure it out.

Agreed. Wants vs needs, and making choices.

You give the kids a foundation, but to enable them in their poor choices is to cripple them.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Totally agree on making 160k in CA and not having enough $$ for a 401k contribution. I know the the Bay Area is ridiculously expensive, but these folks are not making the hard choice to forgo some nice things now in order to save for retirement. Baby steps - small contributions with small incremental increases along the way - and it can be done.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
ONLY IN CALIFORNIA.
We were in California. I retired at 62 with a pension and Social Security. I spent just about 30 years with the "phone company". My pension would have been larger but I retried twice. Dh jumped around jobs and although he made more than I did he left with NO pension, just his Social Security. We do have savings, a good portion of it was matching 401K through work.

So, it can be done in California, depending on where you worked, how long you worked there, etc., etc., etc.

geekette

Reaction score
Totally agree on making 160k in CA and not having enough $$ for a 401k contribution. I know the the Bay Area is ridiculously expensive, but these folks are not making the hard choice to forgo some nice things now in order to save for retirement. Baby steps - small contributions with small incremental increases along the way - and it can be done.
Every little bit helps over time. Deciding that life is too expensive, and we'll save later... will not work. I began by putting away $25/month, a pittance, but all I could afford "back then". Those early small dollars make a huge difference all these years later.

Some costs in life one can control, and some are beyond control. If a couple can't make it on 160k, they might want to take another look at controllable costs. Food, housing, transport, and, of course, entertainment.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I still have some small investments we made in the late seventies, with two children and one income, and boy have they grown

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
You've posted about your situation numerous times, and it makes me feel bad every time. So, my input is: Why don't you do something NOW, instead of later? If I were you, I wouldn't want to be caught in a situation where I had to act immediately (sell house in down market) because something unplanned occurs. My personal opinion is that you'd be better off to address this situation while you're both still healthy and employed, than later, when that might not be true. Have you considered perhaps selling your property now and renting something closer to work until you retire? Or something along those lines?

Like I said, it's just my opinion, and I'm only trying to be helpful since you seem to be a very nice person. Please disregard if it's not helpful.

I always think the same thing. Delaying is not usually the way to address things that need to be done.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Thank you. I do appreciate your input.

Yes- I am actually a super proactive type and we have considered all of that quite a while ago. We even had a few real estate agents at our home for quotes. The real estate market is down here and has been for years. The rents are so outrageous compared to our property and school tax payments (unless we want to live in a dump) so we decided selling and renting something was not a good option. In fact, I have a coworker (in her 50's) who did just that and shortly thereafter her husband was let go and out of work for a year while they were paying exorbitant rent. He finally got another job- though a lot less pay - and they decided to buy a small home locally with the proceeds from the sale of their first house because they said the rent was killing them and it was a big mistake.

We have the issue of health insurance and SS- we need those to retire. We are so close yet so far away. Meanwhile, today we just had a meeting at work and a new company just bought us over. Who the heck knows what is going to happen now...Can't win to lose...We are stuck for now...But hey- I am thankful we have it better than a lot of other people.

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have the issue of health insurance and SS- we need those to retire. We are so close yet so far away. Meanwhile, today we just had a meeting at work and a new company just bought us over. Who the heck knows what is going to happen now...Can't win to lose...We are stuck for now...But hey- I am thankful we have it better than a lot of other people.

Yes, so close yet so far away. That's what we're both feeling as well. My husband works for a major TV shopping channel. There's rumblings about being swallowed up by Amazon. Lots of older folks like us wondering what this will all mean. He wants to make it 5 more years and I want to make it 3 more years. When I made the decision to retire at 62, it seems like it will never get here.

Like you, we are thankful! Like you, we're ready to retire! :)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Yes, so close yet so far away. That's what we're both feeling as well. My husband works for a major TV shopping channel. There's rumblings about being swallowed up by Amazon. Lots of older folks like us wondering what this will all mean. He wants to make it 5 more years and I want to make it 3 more years. When I made the decision to retire at 62, it seems like it will never get here.

Like you, we are thankful! Like you, we're ready to retire! :)

Yes. People keep telling me it will go fast. LOL! Are you kidding me? I don't think so! Every day feels like a week! As far as I am concerned, my past 46 working years (starting at age 16) didn't even go fast!

My husband is going to be 64 in April and I will be 62 in June. He plans on retiring at 66. Just in case we might need to have him take SS then depending on economics. Then again, there have been a lot of changes at his job this year and a lot of people have gotten laid off. Who knows what will even happen with his job? He's hanging in there.

The problem with me-when he retires at 66 I will still need to be working full time for health insurance until I qualify for Medicare at 65. I don't think I can make it 3 more years, but I don't have the heart to ask him to work until age 67.

Meanwhile, the third big snow storm of the season is upon us this morning and having to battle driving in dangerous conditions to get to and from work has gotten old fast....:(

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I always think the same thing. Delaying is not usually the way to address things that need to be done.

And the other thing is - even if we could pay the high rents here or near our jobs, I don't think we could deal with working full time and simultaneously doing all that is involved with selling our home and moving- all the logistics- and then having to do it all over again when we retire. This as well as keeping things running and maintained during the whole process. As it is, my husband gets home from work and is sleeping on his recliner by 7pm. We both have very long days. At least when we are retired we will have the time and energy to deal with it all- just about! IF we are still healthy! In fact, we are thinking of attempting to sell our home ourselves to save on the realtor commission since the market value is not where it should be. Then, if the house sells, if necessary we can rent in NH maybe until we can get a permanent place there.

In the past 6 years we have gone through my mother's passing (dad died in 2005), with the burden mostly falling on me to deal with her when she was sick- placing her in assisted living, then after she passed- getting my parents' house sold and their finances and getting rid of my parents lifetime of stuff- all while working and living over an hour away. Multi tasking to the max and major stress which affected me physically as well as emotionally.

Then we went right from that into getting our home upgraded one room at a time over a 5 year period. It really needed it. Again, a lot of multitasking while working full time through the upheaval. My husband kept asking, "if we are going to move eventually, why do it?" I told him," because we are living in it and by the time we sell it is will be old again anyway! At least we will get to enjoy it for awhile since we can't move!"

I am at a point now of "Let go, and let God"....a hard thing for me...

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
I still have some small investments we made in the late seventies, with two children and one income, and boy have they grown
Outstanding! Few people hold anything that long. A little bit a long time ago can turn out to be a lot.

geekette

Reaction score
The problem with me-when he retires at 66 I will still need to be working full time for health insurance until I qualify for Medicare at 65. I don't think I can make it 3 more years, but I don't have the heart to ask him to work until age 67.
You might not have to work full time for benefits. I cannot say as to your area, but I have scoped it out for myself and I can work PT at Starbucks and get benefits. I also would say to not assume crazy high med ins going it alone, shop around. I mean, I assume I'd find sticker shock, but I'd rather find it than not look.

I'm 52 and want out of the rat race badly. I'm leaning towards semi-retirement, ditch stressful career and replace with low stress low pay. Like you, I don't think it's going to be possible to find affordable health insurance, but I will dig until I know it's true.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just because TODAY you found health insurance at an "okay, I can live with that ... barely ... " DO NOT ASSUME that rate/policy will be there NEXT YEAR or the year after. And another round of changing doctors begins.

I am selfemployed and ever since the world change ... every policy gets cancelled the NEXT YEAR. Been on Medicare since May of last year. I would have worked P/T at Starbucks if it saved me from an $1600 monthly ACA policy ... and been happy. Groups Med Ins ... esp where the employees are YOUNG and active ... are a good target for decent rates. Been a $500 per week savings on the cash flow ... $400 each week left in my bank account from health premuims plus $120 wages is $520 weekly times 52 weeks is $27,040 yearly in effective yearly benefit.

And might have qualify for ACA credits back on my income taxes, too ...

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Outstanding! Few people hold anything that long. A little bit a long time ago can turn out to be a lot.
One has appreciated tremendously, another has done very well

Status
Not open for further replies.