• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A Staroption Reservation

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 44k options expiring end of yr (2017) that I haven't used.
I don't know if to confirm a vacation the last week of Dec somewhere and then cancel if I can't use it or what? Reason is that I am taking care of Mom who is sick.
I am of the understanding that if I can't use these 44k staroptions I lose them. I also am told that if I cancel within 61 days of reservation I still must use by last day of 2017.

I am still new to this system and would appreciate the wise council of Tug members.

Thanks
Cyn

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can cancel always cancel a reservation, but you still have to use the Staroptions by the end of 2017, or lose them.

If you cancel within 60 days, there will be a $50/$75 fee, depending on how late you cancel.

If the 44K Staroptions came from one full week of your 2017 ownership, you can still deposit the week with II.

If they came from a previous year, or a partial week, you cannot deposit it with II.

To roll Staroptions over to the next year, you must do it before July 1 - so it's too late for that.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I was in a similar situation a few years ago and needed to cancel a late November reservation with no way of reusing the points (which were expiring) that year. In the end I didn't want to pay the cancellation fee of $75 on top of losing the points and they wouldn't waive it so I told them I wasn't going to cancel but I also wasn't going to show up. I didn't show up and nobody ever contacted me.

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can cancel always cancel a reservation, but you still have to use the Staroptions by the end of 2017, or lose them.

If you cancel within 60 days, there will be a $50/$75 fee, depending on how late you cancel.

If the 44K Staroptions came from one full week of your 2017 ownership, you can still deposit the week with II.

If they came from a previous year, or a partial week, you cannot deposit it with II.

To roll Staroptions over to the next year, you must do it before July 1 - so it's too late for that.

So if they are from 2015 I have to use by the end of 2017? I can not bank with II because it is from 2015 and not 2017.
I hope I have some family who want to travel before the end of yr because I can't.

Thanks for all the advise.
Cyn

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Unfortunately, no - you cannot deposit Staroptions at all. You can only deposit a week, from the current year's usage.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
Instead of just not showing up, perhaps you could just offer them to someone here. Shame to waste a week and nobody benefits.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Instead of just not showing up, perhaps you could just offer them to someone here. Shame to waste a week and nobody benefits.
The main issue will be finding availability. Outside of Orlando, it may be tough.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the west coast area, when we last checked a few weeks ago, there was plenty of availability in Rancho Mirage and Palm Desert resorts, and even Scottsdale. We just booked 12 nights at Rancho Mirage after Thanksgiving when our friends asked us to join them as they are spending Thanksgiving with their children and their families.

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
You can also try calling owner services, explain the situation with your Mom, and ask for special consideration to bank the Staroptions to next year.
Markus

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
Assuming there is some availability in Orlando, what about contacting Make A Wish and offering to book something for them to use. Not only would a family benefit from this opportunity, but it can be used for a charitable donation if you itemize your taxes.

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Assuming there is some availability in Orlando, what about contacting Make A Wish and offering to book something for them to use. Not only would a family benefit from this opportunity, but it can be used for a charitable donation if you itemize your taxes.

Wow thanks for all the ideas. I will be checking. If anybody has other suggestions I am listening.
Thank you so much!
Cyn

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can also try calling owner services, explain the situation with your Mom, and ask for special consideration to bank the Staroptions to next year.
Markus

Do yo have a specific person you suggest I call?
Thanks
Cyn

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes - you need to ask for Owner Resolution Services - the entry level people who answer the phone don't have the authority to grant exceptions.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I agree. At the time I don't think I knew TUG existed and the event that caused my no show was within a couple of days of the arrival date so not sure if anyone could have made use of it at that late notice. Will certainly think of offering it up should it happen again and especially like the idea of using SOs that are expiring to 'donate' a stay to Make-A-Wish or similar, even though I'm sure VSN will still charge the fee to assign the reservation.

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score

This was a great idea however I just go off the phone with Make A Wish and they only take airline miles and donations. They can not take any reservations at the resorts yet. I told them there was a lot of resorts under Sheraton in the Disney area and they should research it out. Maybe next time.

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever donated their staroptions to a charity?
If so which one?
Thanks for all your input and ideas.
Cyn

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think you can donate Staroptions, because only the owner can utilize Staroptions - I think you would have to donate a reservation, and then put the reservation in the recipient's name.

You sometimes hear about owners donating reservations to local school or church raffles. That would be the easiest to implement. If you tried to donate Staroptions, that would be kind of vague for the recipients, and you would probably end up doing many, many searches to try to find a vacation for them. Better to book a popular week, at a popular resort that is within driving distance of the school/church or other charity.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Has anyone ever donated their staroptions to a charity?
If so which one?
Thanks for all your input and ideas.
Cyn

We should all contact VSE/VSN to support our unused StarOptions being donated to charity. I plan to contact S. Clarke (SVP Owner Services) about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We should all contact VSE/VSN to support our unused StarOptions being donated to charity. I plan to contact S. Clarke (SVP Owner Services) about this.

Thanks for all the feedback. Tell me what you find out.
Cyn

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)

That's a great idea actually. Why let Vistana get them....

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

I heard back. Unfortunately, not at this time... but there is hope.

"Thank you for reaching out to me regarding your ability to donate Star Options. While a very generous idea, and good use of unused Star Options, unfortunately we just do not have the ability or system to support a program like that today. I will certainly communicate your wish to do so, and maybe in the future this would be something we could consider."

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard back. Unfortunately, not at this time... but there is hope.

"Thank you for reaching out to me regarding your ability to donate Star Options. While a very generous idea, and good use of unused Star Options, unfortunately we just do not have the ability or system to support a program like that today. I will certainly communicate your wish to do so, and maybe in the future this would be something we could consider."

Thank you for checking into this further for all of us. I greatly appreciate your diligence in this matter. Please keep us updated.
Cyn

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
i would have taken those points off of your hands (nudge nudge wink wink) if I would have known. I needed to borrow some 2018 points for a December 23-30th booking.