• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A New Low - Dishwasher Soap is My Responsibility

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We stayed at Smuggs last month. We were surprised they don’t have pool towels. They want you to bring a towel from the unit or your own beach towel! Never heard of this at a resort pool before. And we only had one extra roll of toilet paper! So 3 in all!

Yes. I know! I forgot about that one! This has always been the case with them. however.

Smuggs also got rid of the cloth napkins. Those we never used. We bring paper napkins with us.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I never expect more than a starter set of supplies. I have found that a $10 tip left for the housekeeper when they do the midweek towel/trash services and a nice note requesting the needed items will usually do the trick. If they do more than towels and trash, I would increase my tip accordingly.

Unfortunately a lot of resorts don't have mid week cleanings.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We have had this problem at worldmarks. We had the 3 bedroom presidential unit at yellowstone and the unit came with 2 packets of dishwashing soap and no extra tp. The woman at the reception desk would only give us one roll of tp at a time, saying that people waste it if you give them more! We had to buy dishwashing soap. Since we had 6 people we had to make many trips to the front desk!

UGH! So ridiculous! Makes me nuts!We pay maintenance fees to cover this stuff!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
No home dishwasher?? OMG we'd be lost without our dishwasher. DH is the main dishes guy, and while he likes to keep the appliances going as long as possible, the dishwasher is the one appliance he admits he'd replace faster than any other :)

We always bring extra dishwasher pods, laundry detergent and dryer sheets on all our TS stays. Some units, especially studios, don't provide more than 4 sets of plates and bowls. So we're either handwashing or running dishwasher every day.

Most places we've stayed provide 2 loads of laundry detergent. Depending upon weather and season, we'd do anywhere between 1-4 loads of laundry. Westin Lagunamar was tops at providing laundry stuff: a whole regular household size bottle of detergent! I think housekeeping just topped it off at the end of each stay. We were in a 2 bdrm lockoff, with 2 washer/dryers and there was a bottle for each washer.

We didn't have a dishwasher for 10 years in our other home. When we put it up for sale we were so surprised that people always commented on that fact. We didn't understand it. We didn't see what the big deal was. LOL!

I never bring dryer sheets and our son always brings his own when he visits us and takes his laundry with him! I do bring a lot of laundry detergent, though!

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Years ago we were traveling and were so happy to have a washer and dryer in the unit at tropical sands, with a one use box of detergent provided. I put our small load in. Imagine my surprise when I read that the provided detergent was to wash the pool towels before we left. We would not be supplied another box. Those pool towels were to be returned clean when we checked out. I had to run out to the store to get some detergent to wash the pool towels we had used. We were only there two nights. I wonder if they have changed their policy

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Years ago we were traveling and were so happy to have a washer and dryer in the unit at tropical sands, with a one use box of detergent provided. I put our small load in. Imagine my surprise when I read that the provided detergent was to wash the pool towels before we left. We would not be supplied another box. Those pool towels were to be returned clean when we checked out. I had to run out to the store to get some detergent to wash the pool towels we had used. We were only there two nights. I wonder if they have changed their policy

Unbelievable!

Because we have no pool towels at Smuggs and no towel exchange I finally got smart and I wash THEIR towels mid week, including the kitchen ones which get icky quick. But I always bring our own pool towels and wash them there as well.

As a side note, as we get ready to go on our Home Away rental vacation, we had to pack SHEETS (I guess I have to make the bed) and ALL Towels, toilet paper and paper towels and numerous other items we don't normally have to. I even brought a couple of kitchen towels. This cottage does not have a washer dryer and I am not sure I will want to go to the nearby laundry mat. Have to bring garbage and recycling bags as well. If we have too much garbage, we would have to take it to the transfer station as there is no garbage pick up.

She does have some spices. She asks that there not be excessive use of the air conditioner, whatever that means. Heck- at Smuggs we have to leave it on all day with the bedroom doors opened because there is no air conditioning in the living areas and on the third floor the sun beats in and it gets extremely hot!

One thing the owner says she does have is a lot of cleaning supplies. She wants us to leave the cottage the way it was when we checked in. Ummm - well we are very neat and clean people but does she think we are going to get the scrubbing bubbles out and start cleaning the toilet and shower before we check out?

Geez- we are supposed to be on vacation! It is more comfortable sometimes staying home!

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We usually check in then check out what we need in the unit. If driving we bring Dawn (we feel what all resorts give you is a cheap bubble water that doesn't clean), napkins,paper towels, laundry soap, coffee filters (still bring both kinds), and toilet paper. We hand wash the dishes and run the dishwasher mid week and when leaving. We have our own shampoo,soap,etc. in our shaver/make-up kits.
When flying we checkout the unit and go buy what we think we need. We've run into everything over our 30 years of timesharing and learned to just go with the flow. Some timeshares are better then others and yes, we've seen huge differences over the years with always getting worst, never better.
If I wanted to complain about something it would be the dishwashing liquid. I would ask the resorts to pay a few cents more for Dawn and get rid of the crap that doesn't work.
Bart

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
We never bring dishwasher soap with us BUT always bring washing machine pods and dryer sheets.... I am always asking for more tp.. and then sometimes see the cart and go get some myself..... I am a BIG coffee drinker so I usually have to go buy some coffee because they only give enough for a day.... still for how in expensive it really is to stay at the places we are staying that is a small price I gladly will pay..... Dave.... did I tell you I LOVE Timesharing :)

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like others we have a TS box that includes all those things not usually provided or provided in a limited quantity. I have little doubt that most everywhere we go we could just ask for more. That is more of a pain than just carrying some. We need the foils, wraps, and plastic bags anyway.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Our timeshare box is ever changing. We went for years without bringing bug spray with us, then had a cricket in the room in Sedona last year or the year before, so we added the can we bought to the box after dispatching said cricket. Then earlier this month we were in mosquito territory in Yellowstone & Grand Tetons (we only get a mosquito in Los Angeles once in a blue moon), so Cliff went out and hit a hardware store 5 minutes before they closed to buy our favorite flying bug spray. The first thing he sprayed was the interior of the car. We learned to park in the middle of the lot away from grass and shrubs baecause it took longer for the bugs to get to us as we got out of the car.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I am always asking for more tp.. and then sometimes see the cart and go get some myself.....

As the mother of 3 boys, I get twitchy about running out of toilet paper! I am always robbing the cart so we have enough backup rolls ready and waiting. :cool:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We have lists on my laptop for both drive and fly vacations.

We do have a plastic tub (sometimes 2) with timeshare supplies for when we drive to timeshares or VRBO/HomeAway places. We tend to pack extra dishwashing and laundry detergent pods and paper towels and toilet paper in the tub. When it is VRBO, I sometimes take my own towels and sheets just because.

I always take my own Tide pods that are fragrance free and a few a fabric softener sheets in a plastic bag when we fly. One of my roller bags always has coffee filters of both kinds in a side pocket. I take a set of disposable salt & pepper shakers because most places do not have them and since we go to beach locations, if there is salt it is always "clumped up". We also check when we arrive to see what we need when we go to the grocery anyway and buy paper towels for sure. If the tp is not soft, we will buy some that is.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I had a "camping box" I always kept ready to go, for when we went tent camping. When we stopped doing that, and timeshares came along, I gave all the gear to my nephew, so he and his family could do the same. Until recently, all of our timeshare visits involved flying, so we didn't take much with us. I've already posted about the laundry detergent sheets I always have in an outer pocket of my suitcase. I also have a spice collection made for traveling, put together as a gift to me by awesome friends in Virginia, when we visited them while on a timeshare vacation and they learned timeshares often have no spices other than a baby salt and pepper set. I received this gift shortly after:

Spices.JPG

I keep this in the suitcase, too. It's come in handy several times. :)

Now that timesharing for us will include drive-to locations (courtesy of WorldMark), I'll start assembling a new "camping box" made for timesharing.

Dave

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
As the mother of 3 boys, I get twitchy about running out of toilet paper! I am always robbing the cart so we have enough backup rolls ready and waiting. :cool:[/
I had a "camping box" I always kept ready to go, for when we went tent camping. When we stopped doing that, and timeshares came along, I gave all the gear to my nephew, so he and his family could do the same. Until recently, all of our timeshare visits involved flying, so we didn't take much with us. I've already posted about the laundry detergent sheets I always have in an outer pocket of my suitcase. I also have a spice collection made for traveling, put together as a gift to me by awesome friends in Virginia, when we visited them while on a timeshare vacation and they learned timeshares often have no spices other than a baby salt and pepper set. I received this gift shortly after:

View attachment 7146

Now that timesharing for us will include drive-to locations (courtesy of WorldMark), I'll start assembling a new "camping box" made for timesharing.

Dave
Dave, is that a stackable interlocking spice holder??? that is awesome....

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, is that a stackable interlocking spice holder??? that is awesome....

I think it's actually a pill container. The base of one part is the lid of the one below. Everything screws together, so it ends up as one solid piece. very convenient, easy to carry along (provided the zip lock stays sealed), and very handy to have. I just unscrew the top to open the one I want, and then screw it all back together when I'm done. My friends are Scout Leaders, and are pretty creative folks. They filled each section with a different spice, and labeled things so we'd know what was what. :)

Dave

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I think it's actually a pill container. The base of one part is the lid of the one below. Everything screws together, so it ends up as one solid piece. very convenient, easy to carry along (provided the zip lock stays sealed), and very handy to have. I just unscrew the top to open the one I want, and then screw it all back together when I'm done. My friends are Scout Leaders, and are pretty creative folks. They filled each section with a different spice, and labeled things so we'd know what was what. :)

Dave

Dave,

Silly question if I might - does your spice container violate the 3 oz rule for carry on or have you not flown with that yet?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

Dave
I learned something new. Will definitely do this. Thanks

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
I learned something new. Will definitely do this. Thanks

This is awesome! If other TUGgers locate this pill container, would they please post back where they find it. It's not even close to Christmas, and I'm thinking this makes the perfect stocking stuffer gift for those who love timesharing.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are staying at 1862 David Walley's Resort in Genoa, NV. This is our third stay here in the last few years. This is generally a quite nice resort. However, I believe they keep changing management.

We received two packets of dishwasher soap when we checked in. When I asked for more because that was only enough for one day I was told that I couldn't have any.

Dishwashing soap is like coffee - a welcome amenity. You get two small packets then it's up to you.

We spend 6 months a year in timeshares now and have been timesharing for 30 years. I have NEVER experience this.

Has anyone else ever experience this?

P.S. The nearest grocery store is a 20 minute drive.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Dirty dishes need to be washed. Would the resort rather you leave a load of dirty dishes in the dishwasher that needs time to run, or save time and have the guest run the dishwasher so housekeeping does not have to wait for the cycle to end ?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Dave,

Silly question if I might - does your spice container violate the 3 oz rule for carry on or have you not flown with that yet?
The 3 oz rule only applies to liquids, including gels and jellies. You can have as much powder or solid spice as you want in either carry or checked.

Last edited:

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is awesome! If other TUGgers locate this pill container, would they please post back where they find it. It's not even close to Christmas, and I'm thinking this makes the perfect stocking stuffer gift for those who love timesharing.

I googled stackable pill containers. There are several others available too. Here are a couple:

https://www.containerstore.com/s/tr...ackable-pill-organizer/12d?productId=11007977

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ezy-Dose...did=22222222227042988242&wl0=&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave,

No idea. This goes in my checked bag. We can’t travel light, so always have at least one checked bag. Trust me, I’ve tried. ;)

Dave

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most timeshares I've stayed at only have a starter pack of items like DW soap, laundry detergent, paper goods, etc. One place we stayed provided no DW soap.

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score

View attachment 7146

Dave

This photo is so handy! Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
For years I used empty TicTac boxes for spices in our timeshare box, until 1 got crushed somehow and we ended up with garlic powder all through the box! I have flown to timeshares (& rental accom.) with spices in snack size Ziploc bags. On our flight to Belize 2 yrs ago the customs guy was quite curious of my bag of Italian Seasoning and even opened it up to carefully sniff it. Now I carry the few spices I travel with in small plastic (original) spice bottles.

I pack some dishwasher and laundry tabs as I hate the stuff provided, and there is never enough. I also have a small (sample size) dishwasher rinse agent bottle that I fill the reservoir with when we arrive. It seems to last the whole week. We also carry tissues & tp since the products supplied are never very good quality.

When our St Augustine timeshare remodelled the kitchens they purchased tap sets with a pump soap dispenser off to the side of the tap. It is filled with dish soap and is supposedly saving them money over using the tiny bottles. The dishwasher detergent powder is in small Rubbermaid containers with a pour spout (actually a small juice container I think) and there is plenty to do a load or 2 every day for a week. I put a suggestion in to them that if they provided more plates and cutlery then the dishwasher could be run less often and when it is full as they ask (on a sign on the fridge). Even with just the 2 of us we often dirty the 4 knives or large plates by the end of lunch each day.

~Diane