• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A New Low - Dishwasher Soap is My Responsibility

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
We are staying at 1862 David Walley's Resort in Genoa, NV. This is our third stay here in the last few years. This is generally a quite nice resort. However, I believe they keep changing management.

We received two packets of dishwasher soap when we checked in. When I asked for more because that was only enough for one day I was told that I couldn't have any.

Dishwashing soap is like coffee - a welcome amenity. You get two small packets then it's up to you.

We spend 6 months a year in timeshares now and have been timesharing for 30 years. I have NEVER experience this.

Has anyone else ever experience this?

P.S. The nearest grocery store is a 20 minute drive.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Nope, that's a new one to me as well!

Kurt

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Many resorts only include a couple of days of powdered dish soap or coffee. It seems like some of the Worldmarks , some of the Vacation Internationale and many other resorts we spend time at only supply a limited amount of dish soap or coffee. I could be wrong about this as I have never asked for more coffee or soap. I have notice that the maids change towels, sheets and re-supply the tp but they never have put out extra coffee or dish soap.

At the WM and VI there usually is enough soap for a week. Coffee for two mornings if you like decaf.

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Some of these timeshares resorts are really getting cheap. We just got a newsletter from Smuggs (which replaces the owner meeting we used to have) stating that they recently had a 3% increase in linen charges and that housekeeping is telling them a lot of things are not used so they want to not replace them once they disappear or break. (mind you, this problem only started happening once the resort went to RCI points and there were more non owner exchangers coming in, as well as renters).

Some of the things, which many of us use, are- the clock radio, the muffin pan, the dish pan, the mop, clear glass hot mugs, etc..

It makes me crazy that for a unit that sleeps 8 they barely supply toilet paper and I always have to call several times as they bring up like 2 rolls at a time!

Before you know it, they will eliminate dishes and require you to bring paper plates! I have actually noticed over the years more things missing in the unit.

Used to have to do inventory. Then they hired a head housekeeper to do inventory. Then it all stopped. Then they started eliminating things like the place mats for the wooden table- bad idea as no coverings on the table ruins it. Then they eliminated the door mats so we could just walk in with dirty shoes or wipe our dirty shoes on the outside hallway carpeting. Now with Wyndham we are at this point. They even eliminated the once per week as needed towel exchange a couple of years ago! SMH...

This is bad policy. Totally ridiculous not to give you more dishwasher soap. What is the big deal?

We have always had enough dishwasher soap in our units. But I can see that changing the way things are going. I guess it might become one more thing we have to include in our timeshare box.

Thankfully we don't have this issue at our Pollard Brook timeshare.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Coffee is indeed a typical "Welcome Amenity" but I've never encountered it with dishwasher soap. WM gives you two at a time but they will give them to you every day if you ask. VI generally provides either a box of dishwasher soap or a large container.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Many resorts only include a couple of days of powdered dish soap or coffee. It seems like some of the Worldmarks , some of the Vacation Internationale and many other resorts we spend time at only supply a limited amount of dish soap or coffee. I could be wrong about this as I have never asked for more coffee or soap. I have notice that the maids change towels, sheets and re-supply the tp but they never have put out extra coffee or dish soap.

At the WM and VI there usually is enough soap for a week. Coffee for two mornings if you like decaf.

Bill

Does that mean that you bring dishwasher soap with you in your timeshare box since you have never asked for more?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I really don't think timeshare owners should have to supply any kind of cleaning item, like dish washing liquid or soap for the dishwasher, or paper towels or sponges, mop and vacuum and broom, etc. Ok- laundry detergent I can see bringing. Smuggs supplies two packets only. I bring up air freshener spray to use occasionally.

Smuggs does supply like 2 coffee packets, salt and pepper- mini disposables- microwave popcorn and a small packet of lemonade mix. Also shampoo and conditioner and some soap (but not enough) and body lotion- samples sizes.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought I'd check before I went to the store if toilet paper was also a welcome amenity. After checking, she said "Well no....but we can only give you two more for your two bedroom unit."

Do people really stock up for home with these things??? (I'm sure some do, unfortunately but it can't be most people.)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
About all I expect is 1 or 2 coffee packs, and one dishwasher soap. I've taken to putting a stash of the Cascade dish 'pods' (in a ziplock) in my timeshare kit along with coffee filters. We found Maxwell House coffee packs at the supermarket. It takes 2 of them in a 12 cup coffee maker, but the box has 10 for under $5, and that usually gets us through the week. The timeshare that got me with it's cheapness had empty salt and peppers! We like to use napkins and all we EVER get in timeshares are paper towels (or as we call them, 'roll napkins') but sometimes not even that.

Jim

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Most places I have stayed at for a week give you 5-6 dishwasher packets. When we have 5-6 people staying for a week, I need to do a load a day and an extra on check out to do the last couple of dishes. We don't have a dishwasher at home so I if a place provides a few extra, I take 1-2 to add to a baggie that we take to timeshares for the few that are stingy.

I think it is foolish for a resort to skimp on dishwasher supplies because it will encourage those that stay to use regular dish wash soap like dawn that doesn't do well and can break the dishwasher or simply to leave the dishes somewhat dirty for the next guest.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
For drive to locations we have two purple plastic totes packed with supplies. Things like decent knives, spare cutting boards, other kitchen needs, dish washer soap, Dawn, clothes washer soap, Bounce, spices, napkins, soap dishes for bathrooms, coffee, coffee filters, etc.

Even for fly to destinations Patti likes to take some kitchen knives and other supplies in our checked bag. It cuts down on the aggravation.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have encountered no paper towels provided, only a couple dishwasher packets, and bare necessities. I have often seen a sign that any other supplies must be purchased. I remember a famous argument on here because orange lake wouldn't give more toilet paper, a person complained on here, and an owner got very hostile about them wasting toilet paper. I stayed at lodge alley inn, was given one miniature bar of soap which had to be used in both shower and sink for three days. But what gets me is to get four plates, four spoons, four of everything and a big sign that says please run only full loads in dishwasher. But of course there was the place that did not have even one bowl but had a hand mixer and did not have any cooking utensils at all but lovely granite countertops.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I never expect more than a starter set of supplies. I have found that a $10 tip left for the housekeeper when they do the midweek towel/trash services and a nice note requesting the needed items will usually do the trick. If they do more than towels and trash, I would increase my tip accordingly.

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
Or if there's a $1 store nearby, all can probably be purchased for $5-$10. Then relax and enjoy your vacation...

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
About all I expect is 1 or 2 coffee packs, and one dishwasher soap.
I'm just curious -- have you ever asked for more dishwasher soap? Maybe I've just been lucky or only stayed in nicer places, but every timeshare I have been in, if we asked for more supplies, they gave them to us. Heck, most places even supply extra laundry detergent if asked.

I'm shocked reading some accounts here. People actually have to buy TP when staying at a timeshare??? Crazy!

Kurt

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I live near Seattle, so I'm a coffee snob. It's the LAW. ;) We bring our own coffee, because the odds are what's in the timeshare won't be fancy enough for us. What I haven't received a few times were coffee filters - they provided like three for a week's use, and it's not nearly enough. If I can't get more and need to buy filters, I'll bring the extras home with me.

I found laundry detergent sheets, and I always take those with me. The sheets have detergent and fabric softener in them for the wash, and then go into the dryer with the wet clothes when the washing is done, to provide anti-static dryer sheet performance as well. Pretty nifty things. I keep them in a flat zip lock in an outside pocket of my suitcase, so they're always with me and ready.

When I run out of dishwashing detergent I ask for more, and have always received it. Not providing it serves no point to the resort, especially if they ask you to load and start the dishwasher before you leave, so the dishes will be clean for the next guest. If I stayed in a place that didn't provide enough detergent, I'd feel I'd have to wash the dishes before I used them.

Dave

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Of course, everyone is correct that it isn't something worth ruining my vacation over and the expense isn't a big deal. Any upset (in general) is the result of unfulfilled expectations and my 30 years of timesharing at all kinds of places and systems has given me an expectation that this (dishwasher soap) is part of the package.

Obviously (based on the comments above), others have different expectations including some people that I know stay in nice resorts. I don't expect coffee, coffee filters, more dishes than occupancy, clothes soap, even shampoo even though I'm very happy when those are provided.

However, I have always expected soap for the sink and shower, toilet paper, extra garbage bags, dish soap, dishwasher soap, towels, linens, etc.

Ironically, this penny pinching resort provides fairly nice soap, shampoo, conditioner and moisturizer as well as a mid stay clean. The also provide internet access for no extra charge. I just don't get this particular thing for penny pinching and probably won't but I'll just plan on packing some dishwasher soap in my timeshare box in case this happens again (perhaps I'll be lucky for another 30 years).

(On Facebook, I read a report from a lady who left her Worldmark timeshare that she had booked a year before because she was unhappy with the view. Obviously her expectations were unfulfilled but even for me that seems a little extreme.)

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In response to Jim, we like cloth napkins, too...so tend to appropriate extra hand towels and washcloths for this purpose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
In response to Jim, we like cloth napkins, too...so tend to appropriate extra hand towels and washcloths for this purpose.
We do this too. They happily bring extras. I had to chuckle at the comment that with 4 dishes/cups/bowls and a sign to only run a full dishwasher.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
It doesn’t make sense to not give dishwasher soap as it is needed to make sure the dishes are clean for the next guest. Every timeshare I have been to has provided more if we asked.

What some timeshares I traded into haven’t provided was shampoo, conditioner , washing machine soap, sponge to wash dishes in sink, paper towels, tissues, coffee & coffee filters.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We've never had an issue getting more toilet paper, dishwasher soap, etc. in fact we usually make out like bandits with the coffee because we always exchange the regular for decaf and more often then not get at least two decafs in return. The day they don't give me dishwasher soap is the day the dishes either don't get done as we leave or get washed with just hot water.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Some of these timeshares resorts are really getting cheap. We just got a newsletter from Smuggs (which replaces the owner meeting we used to have) stating that they recently had a 3% increase in linen charges and that housekeeping is telling them a lot of things are not used so they want to not replace them once they disappear or break. (mind you, this problem only started happening once the resort went to RCI points and there were more non owner exchangers coming in, as well as renters).

Some of the things, which many of us use, are- the clock radio, the muffin pan, the dish pan, the mop, clear glass hot mugs, etc..

It makes me crazy that for a unit that sleeps 8 they barely supply toilet paper and I always have to call several times as they bring up like 2 rolls at a time!

Before you know it, they will eliminate dishes and require you to bring paper plates! I have actually noticed over the years more things missing in the unit.

Used to have to do inventory. Then they hired a head housekeeper to do inventory. Then it all stopped. Then they started eliminating things like the place mats for the wooden table- bad idea as no coverings on the table ruins it. Then they eliminated the door mats so we could just walk in with dirty shoes or wipe our dirty shoes on the outside hallway carpeting. Now with Wyndham we are at this point. They even eliminated the once per week as needed towel exchange a couple of years ago! SMH...

This is bad policy. Totally ridiculous not to give you more dishwasher soap. What is the big deal?

We have always had enough dishwasher soap in our units. But I can see that changing the way things are going. I guess it might become one more thing we have to include in our timeshare box.

Thankfully we don't have this issue at our Pollard Brook timeshare.
We stayed at Smuggs last month. We were surprised they don’t have pool towels. They want you to bring a towel from the unit or your own beach towel! Never heard of this at a resort pool before. And we only had one extra roll of toilet paper! So 3 in all!

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Most places I have stayed at for a week give you 5-6 dishwasher packets. When we have 5-6 people staying for a week, I need to do a load a day and an extra on check out to do the last couple of dishes. We don't have a dishwasher at home so I if a place provides a few extra, I take 1-2 to add to a baggie that we take to timeshares for the few that are stingy.

No home dishwasher?? OMG we'd be lost without our dishwasher. DH is the main dishes guy, and while he likes to keep the appliances going as long as possible, the dishwasher is the one appliance he admits he'd replace faster than any other :)

We always bring extra dishwasher pods, laundry detergent and dryer sheets on all our TS stays. Some units, especially studios, don't provide more than 4 sets of plates and bowls. So we're either handwashing or running dishwasher every day.

Most places we've stayed provide 2 loads of laundry detergent. Depending upon weather and season, we'd do anywhere between 1-4 loads of laundry. Westin Lagunamar was tops at providing laundry stuff: a whole regular household size bottle of detergent! I think housekeeping just topped it off at the end of each stay. We were in a 2 bdrm lockoff, with 2 washer/dryers and there was a bottle for each washer.

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
We have had this problem at worldmarks. We had the 3 bedroom presidential unit at yellowstone and the unit came with 2 packets of dishwashing soap and no extra tp. The woman at the reception desk would only give us one roll of tp at a time, saying that people waste it if you give them more! We had to buy dishwashing soap. Since we had 6 people we had to make many trips to the front desk!

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Does that mean that you bring dishwasher soap with you in your timeshare box since you have never asked for more?

It depends on where we go. For Mexico, we take Tide pods and some type of pod like dishwasher soap along with coffee filters and spices / seasonings. We always bring coffee and creamer to all resorts. In the USA we usually just go to the store and pick up what we want.

When I do run out of coffee I seem to find a cup at the sales office. Some times there are other goodies here as well.

Bill