• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A Day without Cable and Internet

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Today, Cox Comm was down in our area from about 7AM - 7PM. For us, that meant no TV, no internet, and no home (IP) phone. It took me ~ 15 minutes to discern that it was their fault, as various screens simply advise fixes we should try (none of which worked).

So, I called (with a cell) and got a recording saying it'll be fixed at 12:45. I elected to receive text message updates... Next update: It be fixed at 3:00. Next update: It'll be fixed at 6:00. Last update: It'll be fixed at 9:00. I'm tempted to go to the office and give them a piece of my mind, but I don't think I can spare one.

Meanwhile, we spent the day disconnected from the world.
It meant having to talk to each other and have conversations.
But as soon as service resumed, normalcy was restored.

Bob61

Reaction score
Today, Cox Comm was down in our area from about 7AM - 7PM. For us, that meant no TV, no internet, and no home (IP) phone. It took me ~ 15 minutes to discern that it was their fault, as various screens simply advise fixes we should try (none of which worked).

So, I called (with a cell) and got a recording saying it'll be fixed at 12:45. I elected to receive text message updates... Next update: It be fixed at 3:00. Next update: It'll be fixed at 6:00. Last update: It'll be fixed at 9:00. I'm tempted to go to the office and give them a piece of my mind, but I don't think I can spare one.

We've lost service a couple of times, when that happens I just flip my cell phone to be WiFi hot spot. Turn off my router and set my cell phone SSID/password to that of my router. Everything is then up and running. I have unlimited cell data plan so easy solution for a day's outage or so.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds wonderful to me, all day unplugged nice and quiet. Maybe we should all try that at least one day a week. :)

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
LOL. Funny how easy it is to find things to do when you get disconnected occasionally. Hope you had a stress free enjoyable day.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our internet/electricity was out for 5 hours once. The kids complained for about 3 minutes. Then they dug out some board games and we played for several hours. Then they read.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were without electricity and cable for two or three days after the last hurricane that hit the east coast several years ago. Awful.

We used our gas grills for cooking and boiling water to drink. The biggest problem was finding water to drink.

Now we stock up on drinking water, spam, peanut butter, jelly, can goods and crackers for emergencies.

That was a great time catch up on reading some books, magazines. and cleaning up the lawn from falling trees,branches and leaves.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At Least it was warm there, I lost power for a day/night at our lake cottage up north late February, thank goodness the gas stove burners worked and candles. 4 blankets and 42 degrees inside, I made it through the night with a windy 8 degrees above zero. it really makes you think about getting a generator !

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We were without electricity and cable for two or three days after the last hurricane that hit the east coast several years ago. Awful. We used our gas grills for cooking and boiling water to drink. The biggest problem was finding water to drink.

In a few months, we'll lose the use of our kitchen to a remodeling project.
We're planning to move the fridge to the patio and use the gas grill to cook.
We can put the microwave on a garden cart. But we'll miss the dishwasher.
But there's the laundry room sink... That's roughing it!

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been interesting when we have lost power here :) - Many years ago when the kids were young, it was actually a lot of fun. We spent time outside more, spoke, bbq with the neighbors, played games inside and there was more conversations between all of us. Lot's of reading too.

Our longest time without power was three weeks when we were hit with Sandy - now that was not fun because it was very, very cold here. We managed with a generator after a week or so. Then someone told hubby how to hook up the generator to the panel and we were able to have electricity on more than just our heat furnace and refrigerator :)

We recently had no Italian channel - RAI and had to have a new box shipped. When there is interruption for a significant amount of time, what I would like is some credit on the bill - but that does not usually happen (with the cable company). Of course, no power, less electric - lower bill :)

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Talent312, wishing you happiness, remodeling a kitchen is liked building a new house.IMO.
Cooking on the patio can be fun for the week, but after that, you will be roughing it.
But joy and laughter comes when everything is completed in your new modern kitchen. Then you will said, we should have done this project earlier.:clap:

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cable and internet I can do even for a few days. When we lost electricity for 5 days (wuite some time ago) I was not happy.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
As a kid, we usually lost electric for several days due to winter snow. No electric ment no heat, no cooked food and no lights .. but also NO WATER from the well. At least we had a wood burning fireplace ... and slept on the floor in the living room.

We had oil lamps with wickes .... the OLD lamps.

rosebud5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We lost electricity during the last hurricane as it roared through NC. You can always turn your smart phone into a hotspot if your cellular provider is still available. Unfortunately the batter power on your PC or laptop will last 4-6 hours if you're lucky. Your e-reader may last that long. Your smartphone maybe 6-8 hours, depending on use. You can always watch DVD's or maybe local channels with an antenna is you lose cable. Without power, now that really sucks. Given our last experience with almost 24 hours without power, I invested in a 22KW Generac Generator that runs on propane.

So all you future hurricanes: Bring it on!

Brett

Reaction score
We lost electricity during the last hurricane as it roared through NC. You can always turn your smart phone into a hotspot if your cellular provider is still available. Unfortunately the batter power on your PC or laptop will last 4-6 hours if you're lucky. Your e-reader may last that long. Your smartphone maybe 6-8 hours, depending on use. You can always watch DVD's or maybe local channels with an antenna is you lose cable. Without power, now that really sucks. Given our last experience with almost 24 hours without power, I invested in a 22KW Generac Generator that runs on propane.

So all you future hurricanes: Bring it on!

The last hurricane to impact me was Isabel in 2003 when I lost power for 3 days.
If the 'big one' hits I'll be using my lawn mower battery ............... which may not last long

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, I used to work with a fellow who would take his four week annual vacation time all at once in the summer and rent a the same cottage by a lake, year after year, that had no electricity and no running water. Just he and wife as his children were out of the house. No cell phone, no tablet no laptop no tv, and I don't know whether they hauled water from the lake or used bottled water. He liked being off the grid for a few weeks. I couldn't do it and would have withdrawal symptoms if we lost power for more than a day and I was disconnected from family and the world.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I can barely handle no wifi on cruises. I refuse to pay absurd fees.
But at least I can get my fix when in ports w-cell phone or wifi.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Where we live, losing electricity is very common. That is why we installed a whole house generator that automatically comes on when the power is out. We keep extra food and also a catastrophe food supply and water. We have a stream on our property also. Heck- we have deer and plant life and the means to hunt if necessary. LOL! And we have the wood stove and fireplace if case things get really bad. But the boiler is on the generator, as is the well, the stove, the microwave, the fridge and freezer, heck- even the TV! Pretty much everything except the dishwasher and the washer/dryer and A/C, but the ceiling fans are on it.

We also kept our landline phone. Last May with the unusual tornado storm we lost electricity for a week and also lost the internet for 2 weeks. Our cell phones also did not work, so towers must have had issues. But I was able go into the town at McDonalds to use the internet. For a secure network I could have also gone to the town library and use one of their desktops.

I live such an isolated/secluded life right now that I would go crazy without being able to communicate via the internet. Plus, I do most all our household business tasks on line.

My husband is even hooked. That and TV. At least I am a reader and have lots of magazines and books.

It is funny- years ago I said I was surprised how computers became a necessity and now smart phones are a necessity.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We used our gas grills for cooking and boiling water to drink. The biggest problem was finding water to drink.

FYI- for any reader

Your home hot water tank has 30+ gallons of clean drinking water .There is a drain tap at the bottom that will allow you to access it as needed - in an emergency weather / no power situation .

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
FYI- for any reader

Your home hot water tank has 30+ gallons of clean drinking water .There is a drain tap at the bottom that will allow you to access it as needed - in an emergency weather / no power situation .
Uhm, I just replaced my 10 year old water heater and about half of the contents were brown with chunks of mineral deposits and hard water build up...... Pass. Also, the average size single family water heater is 40 gallons. Just fyi

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts

When we go on vacation, we mostly leave our phones in the room unless leaving the resort. Even then, it's just for directions.
I love the fact that, I'm out of town, so work CANNOT call me back, my wife and kid are with me, who else NEEDS me? No one. If there's a legit family emergency ie: death of a parent, other extended family knows where we are and can contact the resort.
I bet I use my phone/internet at most an hour a day while on vacation. However, we do tend to end our days watching a movie or something on tv but I would be just as happy sitting on the patio smoking a cigar and sipping some whiskey while the wife reads and the kid sleeps.

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
FYI- for any reader

I'll also pass on that suggestion after seeing what came out of my old hot water heater

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
What... no electricity, no water, no cable, no satellite? 'It's an alien apocalypse! Quick, grab the beer! :eek:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Actually part of our zombie apocalypse prep supplies include 1.75 litre of high quality vodka and 1.75 litre of Jameson Whisky.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually part of our zombie apocalypse prep supplies include 1.75 litre of high quality vodka and 1.75 litre of Jameson Whisky.

Well, Zombies do have a more refined etiquette.