• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"7VC" Rate Cheaper than MF One Year Away

destinio

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm both excited and disappointed to discover that I can now book any night between 12/22/2018-12/31/2018 at Lakeshore Reserve at a cash rate (using code "7VC") mostly lower than the MF I would otherwise pay for the MVC Points needed for the same dates. Even better, there is no minimum 7-night requirement, and the cash rate is the same for Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve as for other days in those high-demand weeks. So I booked a week at equivalent of $0.50/pt for a week.

Of course, as a Points owner I see more unit types available at the owner's website than at marriott.com. However, for the unit type that exists on both systems, this lower cash rate just doesn't make sense. I also understand their cash rate can fluctuate and rise higher later, while MVC point rates are fixed, but the inventory on the owner's side can be gone too.

How is Marriott managing its inventory? Anyone knows?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Inventory you see show up online can come from several sources. First it may be inventory that is owned by MVC. They rent it out to cover the MFs that they have to pay for that inventory. It can also come from inventory that owners have converted for MR points. When an owner converts their week to MR points, MVC then tries to rent that inventory out to monetize it in order to pay for the MR points that it had to buy from Marriott Rewards.

That week, while it costs 4,000 DC points for a week in a standard 2BR which would be $2000 at $0.50 per point, the MFs are only about $1800. MVC's cost on the MR points that it has to put out when an owner converts their week to points may only be about $1000-$1200. So they are still making a profit on that week when they rent it for less than the equivalent DC points cost.

destinio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. I now understand MVC's perspective in their operation. Still, it's disappointing that Owners do not have the lowest-cost option. Anyway, the cash-rate inventory seemed really small and is already all gone for both 2Br and 3Br units.

Inventory you see show up online can come from several sources. First it may be inventory that is owned by MVC. They rent it out to cover the MFs that they have to pay for that inventory. It can also come from inventory that owners have converted for MR points. When an owner converts their week to MR points, MVC then tries to rent that inventory out to monetize it in order to pay for the MR points that it had to buy from Marriott Rewards.

That week, while it costs 4,000 DC points for a week in a standard 2BR which would be $2000 at $0.50 per point, the MFs are only about $1800. MVC's cost on the MR points that it has to put out when an owner converts their week to points may only be about $1000-$1200. So they are still making a profit on that week when they rent it for less than the equivalent DC points cost.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Thanks for the explanation. I now understand MVC's perspective in their operation. Still, it's disappointing that Owners do not have the lowest-cost option. Anyway, the cash-rate inventory seemed really small and is already all gone for both 2Br and 3Br units.
It is sort of a circular reference.... had you not been an owner, you could not have gotten the owners rate that you are complaining is a better rate than owning.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The cash rates have to be based on demand while our maintenance fees are based on actual cost+. Orlando also has steep competition and is a bargain destination rather than luxury. It keeps rates fairly low.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
It is sort of a circular reference.... had you not been an owner, you could not have gotten the owners rate that you are complaining is a better rate than owning.
I agree. Owners are getting the "best rate" by using the owner's 7VC (or other) code.

It seems the OP wants MVC to lower the MF to match the marriott.com rates. Makes no sense to me.

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
I have different viewpoint for the resort I own, Harbour Point on Hilton Head. I own a week 26, most often the 4th of July week. Marriott is sold out for that week but is renting the week of July 14th for $3,255 using the "Marriott Rewards Member Rate". My maintenance fees is about $1400, and 1250 MVC points are required to reserve so 1250 x $0.50= $650 reserve, using the points program. If I was enrolled in the MVC Points program I would be getting too few points for my resort, in my opinion. This is why I will never enroll my week. (that and the fact that I bought my current week post 2010)

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have different viewpoint for the resort I own, Harbour Point on Hilton Head. I own a week 26, most often the 4th of July week. Marriott is sold out for that week but is renting the week of July 14th for $3,255 using the "Marriott Rewards Member Rate". My maintenance fees is about $1400, and 1250 MVC points are required to reserve so 1250 x $0.50= $650 reserve, using the points program. If I was enrolled in the MVC Points program I would be getting too few points for my resort, in my opinion. This is why I will never enroll my week. (that and the fact that I bought my current week post 2010)

It is actually 1225 points to book. It is crazy how cheap it is compared to some of the others. Grande Ocean is 4500.