• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

3 Ohio women held hostage now free

geekette

Reaction score
I am stronger now than I was at that age, this is not a fair question to an adult population. Remember, they were Very young, beaten and raped, repeatedly. Apparently 2 of them ended up rather brainwashed (it was 10 years!!), they were TESTED on escaping - presumably it was tried and they were punished. Presumably the consequences of a failed escape could be worse than just being obedient.

Don't pretend that you know how it was and how easy it would be to get free. Just Don't.

We also do not know the extent of their injuries nor roped/chained confinement. You say drywall, I say Maybe Concrete. Could be barbed wire, I don't know, and neither do you.

Further, please do not blame the victims. It is beyond unseemly.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
A small house, with the only thing seperating the women for freedom being, drywall, glass and/or plywood....

Let me ask the other ladies here....Do you REALLY think over a 10yr period there was NO chance for that girl to escape if she wanted to? What if it was you....You don't think over 3,650 days you could have figured SOMETHING out?

Are you really trying to blame the victims now? :confused:

You have no idea the physical or mental trauma they went through. To even ask such a question is of extreme poor taste.

Kurt

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Also, according to the news reports, two of the girls were developmentally delayed (i.e. "slow".)

Last edited:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, according to the news reports, two of the girls were developmentally delayed (i.e. "slow".)

I wasn't aware of that....and am not sure what degree of developmentally delayed they were....I had a friend in high school who was labeled developmentally delayed, really, he was just as 'there' as everyone else, just wasn't very good at math. But of course, there are huge difference between someone like my old friend and someone unable to even care for themselves because of their disability

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
A small house, with the only thing seperating the women for freedom being, drywall, glass and/or plywood....

Let me ask the other ladies here....Do you REALLY think over a 10yr period there was NO chance for that girl to escape if she wanted to? What if it was you....You don't think over 3,650 days you could have figured SOMETHING out?

I wouldn't even begin to try to think that I would have been able to do something differently than what those women thought they could do. They've been victimized enough, they don't now need you or me trying to tell them that somehow they weren't responsible enough for their own well-being.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some very uneducated people are EXCELLANT con artists and manipulators. More insightful than a shrink - in a limited functional area. And he was in his 40s to girls as young at 14. And girls whose world was not travelling or reading; just simple and directed by an older person without question. He selected his targets with skill and snatched them at times he knew they would NOT be immediately missed- a colder trail for the police to follow.

Plus, in my experience in low income areas, it is important to NOT ASK QUESTIONS - you are told repeatedly, "Don't make that trouble yours.", "Keep your eyes forward - that don't involve you.", "Asking questions will get you hurt."

You see people on the street and never ask anything - where they live, where they work, going out with someone, where is your brother/sister, you got a car, nothing ... It reminds me of caveman talk - grunts and body language, pecking order, nods of the head, no "where is what's his face", or anybody's health. Very parnoid cultural - less anyone knows about you the better. And if you do ask about someone, they or their family want to know why you are asking - and that might NOT be a very pleasant conversation they have with you.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some very uneducated people are EXCELLANT con artists and manipulators. More insightful than a shrink - in a limited functional area. And he was in his 40s to girls as young at 14. And girls whose world was not travelling or reading; just simple and directed by an older person without question.

See this is kinda what i thought when i first saw the story, this guy convinced the girls they wanted to stay, sort of Stockholm syndrome....It just seems to me, it would be VERY hard if not impossible to hold 3 people hostage for 10 years, unless they were somehow willing to stay.

Something happened and they snapped after 10 years and the neighbor heard them. Don't get me wrong, i don't think the guy was innocent, he took advantage of naive women. But, is it REALLY kidnapping if the girls WANTED to stay?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
... Don't get me wrong, i don't think the guy was innocent, he took advantage of naive women. But, is it REALLY kidnapping if the girls WANTED to stay?

There are no words.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
But, is it REALLY kidnapping if the girls WANTED to stay?

This statement is beyond belief. The scary thing is that you have a daughter. Yikes.

So you think this guy isn't guilty of any crimes? It's all because the girls wanted to stay? Are you serious?

Sue

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, i don't think the guy was innocent, he took advantage of naive women. But, is it REALLY kidnapping if the girls WANTED to stay?

Leave it, Ride. Those women were held by fear, intimidation, manipulation, yes, misplaced affection too. That they wanted to go was one thing, but they may well have felt that one of them escaping would somehow be worse on the others left behind.

Whole nations of people have been kept captive in the same way. Look no further than Cuba or N. Korea or the Soviet Union or post revolutionary China. Those people would tell you they LOVE their country/leaders and WANT to stay. Billions of people kept captive by fear- not just 3.

This kidnapper/murderer, child rapist who shows no remorse for his victims or activities deserves the same treatment he doled out to his captives.

Jim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Ride - just stop - this is not one to stir the pot on.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's possible that Ride has some truth to what he's saying. Look at Elizabeth Smart and many other examples. For some reason, these captives are brainwashed into actually wanting to stay. That could've easily been the case with these three for some period of time. I'll grant in the end, the one that got away, definitely wanted to get away.

However, does that justify any of this? NO! If they "wanted" to stay as Ride asked, should the guy be fully prosecuted? Without a doubt... YES!

This has got to be one of the saddest stories I have ever heard.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ride asked - "is it REALLY kidnapping if the girls WANTED to stay?" That is completely out of line...and obviously just pot stirring. :rolleyes:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
It should be quite obvious that these poor girls/young women were brainwashed.

There is a special place in hell for the evil beast that abducted them. Justice will be served. Perhaps not on this earth, but, rest assured, it will be served.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll grant in the end, the one that got away, definitely wanted to get away.

And I wonder if the turning point for her was fear of what may lie ahead for her daughter if she didn't get her out.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And I wonder if the turning point for her was fear of what may lie ahead for her daughter if she didn't get her out.

That is exactly what I was thinking - or maybe what was already starting to happen...

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

We don't know the whole story. Your questions are on everyone's mind. It seems odd that it took this long.

We don't know people's motives for what they do and as pointed out we don't what people close to us are even doing.

And of course the media will sensationalize everything so people watch their take on events.

Let's wait and see, maybe someday we'll know what happened and why.

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe there's enough information already at hand to deduce what happened.

An evil predator abducted several girls, possibly developmentally challenged, imprisoned them, and brainwashed them. Not to mention executing other unspeakable acts upon them.

May he rot in hell for eternity.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe there's enough information already at hand to deduce what happened.

An evil predator abducted several girls, possibly developmentally challenged, imprisoned them, and brainwashed them. Not to mention executing other unspeakable acts upon them.

May he rot in hell for eternity.

None of this is facts, please guys, while the story that the girls told is sad, my first thought was hang and castrate the guy....In America we are innocent until proven guilty in the court of law....NOT, the court of public opinion

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ride - your bias against women is disturbing and offensive. Do you realize that every time we discuss a news story on TUG in which a woman is the victim, you post completely ridiculous theories about how the man who committed the crime might be innocent? You have serious issues.

Last edited:

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Appalling

As somebody from the Cleveland metro area, it is especially heartbreaking to think that these women were kept hostage so close to others, without opportunity for rescue until Monday.

What they endured is appalling. I'm also appalled by the comments of one of the Tuggers on this thread.

It's so easy to second-guess what actually occurred, or to imagine that in the same situation you could have escaped. When these types of conjectures are made public they only serve to compound the victimization of the victims.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ride - your bias against women is disturbing and offensive. Do you realize that every time we discuss a news story on TUG in which a woman is the victim, you post completely ridiculous theories about how the man who committed the crime might be innocent? You have serious issues.

I am currently fighting false charges that have led to a Temporary order of protection...actions that i never committed all because i requested to increase visitation with my daughter.....It's going to cost me atleast $1,500 and i did nothing outlined in the statement....There have been studies that show up to 40% of all orders of protection made by women are false(not to mention the 10+% of rape charges that are proven to be unfounded). It is a common tactic and even recommended by women all over the internet that, as soon as a divorce is suggested, file a temporary order of protection to get the ex out of the house.

I AM the man, that man that has charges against him that everyone is attacking....i KNOW what it's like to be presumed guilty before even having my say in court....So, i'm sorry if i seem like i don't fall in with the public hanging before any facts come out, but i know what it's like to be presumed to be a monster and i WILL not join in and grab a pitchfork with the rest of the villagers

Last edited: