• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2BR Non Lockoff

johnf0614

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can any of the deeded 2BR non lock-offs still be split and traded as a lockoff? For example a deeded 2BR non lock off at Grand Chateau or Shadow Ridge? Can they still be split for trading purposes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes, as long at the property has lock off units and is a floating unit resort (I think all properties that have a mix are floating unit), then you can book a lock off based on availability. This is regardless of what your deeded unit actually is.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, as long at the property has lock off units and is a floating unit resort (I think all properties that have a mix are floating unit), then you can book a lock off based on availability. This is regardless of what your deeded unit actually is.
I am confused by this.
If a Grand Chateau 2BR non lock off deeded week owner can book a lock off unit (even subject to availability), surely that would reduce the potential available inventory for Grand Chateau 2BR lock off deeded week owners like myself?
Am I misunderstanding or are you suggesting I might find I have to accept a non lock off unit or...?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am confused by this.
If a Grand Chateau 2BR non lock off deeded week owner can book a lock off unit (even subject to availability), surely that would reduce the potential available inventory for Grand Chateau 2BR lock off deeded week owners like myself?
Am I misunderstanding or are you suggesting I might find I have to accept a non lock off unit or...?
If you own a deeded 2BR unit, you are not guaranteed the ability to lock it off every year. The ability to lock off is based on availability.

At resorts like Grand Vista and more so, Harbour Lake. Not all of the 2BR units lock off. We own a deed dedicated 2BR unit at Harbour Lake but can lock off based on availability. We also own a 2BR deeded lock off unit at Grande Vista but we can't necessarily book that every year if we are late to the game. In a floating unit system like Marriott has, you can only book based on availability.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you own a deeded 2BR unit, you are not guaranteed the ability to lock it off every year. The ability to lock off is based on availability.

At resorts like Grand Vista and more so, Harbour Lake. Not all of the 2BR units lock off. We own a deed dedicated 2BR unit at Harbour Lake but can lock off based on availability. We also own a 2BR deeded lock off unit at Grande Vista but we can't necessarily book that every year if we are late to the game. In a floating unit system like Marriott has, you can only book based on availability.
Thanks, I never knew that - there is always something new to learn on TUG
I will have to dig out my purchase agreement and re-read it.
I have owned lock off weeks at Grand Chateau and Playa Andaluza, going back some 15+ years (for Playa anyway) and I have locked these off to use or II exchange every single year until 2018 (when I elected for Points).
I guess I have just been lucky until now?!?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Thanks, I never knew that - there is always something new to learn on TUG
I will have to dig out my purchase agreement and re-read it.
I have owned lock off weeks at Grand Chateau and Playa Andaluza, going back some 15+ years (for Playa anyway) and I have locked these off to use or II exchange every single year until 2018 (when I elected for Points).
I guess I have just been lucky until now?!?
You state you own a lock offs. If so, I would think the availability you see on the website is specifically for lock offs.

Any know differently?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
You state you own a lock offs. If so, I would think the availability you see on the website is specifically for lock offs.

Any know differently?
I had never really thought about it until reading dioxide45’s post, because I have never had a problem locking off and using my weeks as and when I wanted.
I have just checked my account on the owners website though and when I select the “Occupy” option, I am given the choices of
Full Villa
Full Villa Lock Off
Master Suite
Deluxe Guest Suite

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Any know differently?
No, as stated above there is no tie in to what one owns between dedicated or L/O units with Marriott, fixed unit situations excluded. A L/O owner can book the dedicated subjective to availability and vice versa. It could change under the control management has over the reservation system.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I had never really thought about it until reading dioxide45’s post, because I have never had a problem locking off and using my weeks as and when I wanted.
I have just checked my account on the owners website though and when I select the “Occupy” option, I am given the choices of
Full Villa
Full Villa Lock Off
Master Suite
Deluxe Guest Suite

Correct. I took his comment to be for those in the opposite situation as you...those who own a non-lock off, but want to reserve a lock-off. I own a 3BR LO. I presume if I see availability on the website, I'll be guaranteed to LO. I wouldn't expect to inventory available unless it was LO capable.

*Note: Dean answered the below while I was typing.
Now the question for dioxide and others involves the reverse: If someone owns a LO, but wants to reserve a single-entry 2BR at GV, is it safe to presume that the opposite applies? If there is availability, can a 2BR LO owner reserve a single entry 2BR? I would presume the answer to be yes, but I hadn't considered this before.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Now the question for dioxide and others involves the reverse: If someone owns a LO, but wants to reserve a single-entry 2BR at GV, is it safe to presume that the opposite applies? If there is availability, can a 2BR LO owner reserve a single entry 2BR? I would presume the answer to be yes, but I hadn't considered this before.
Yes, there are no restrictions either way. The issue for the 3 BR will be that technically you can't lock it off then lock off the 2 BR again but you can reserve a 2 BR lockoff as the 2 BR portion if you want. Some have reported being able to later lockoff the second 2 BR when they owned the 3 BR but as I understand it, this is not what's supposed to happen.

The same applies to the Florida Club where say one owns at Legend's Edge or Doral which do not have lockouts but they can reserve at other locations and do a lockoff, even depositing if they want. The same restriction applies to the FL club for a 3 BR though, you can lockoff the 3 BR getting a studio and 2 BR but you can't lockoff the 2 BR a second time.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Correct. I took his comment to be for those in the opposite situation as you...those who own a non-lock off, but want to reserve a lock-off. I own a 3BR LO. I presume if I see availability on the website, I'll be guaranteed to LO. I wouldn't expect to inventory available unless it was LO capable.

*Note: Dean answered the below while I was typing.
Yes, When making the reservation I would choose the "Full Villa" option from the list provided by @bazzap

Full Villa
Full Villa Lock Off
Master Suite
Deluxe Guest Suite

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Yes, When making the reservation I would choose the "Full Villa" option from the list provided by @bazzap

Full Villa
Full Villa Lock Off
Master Suite
Deluxe Guest Suite

Oh, I see now. Thanks much!

No, as stated above there is no tie in to what one owns between dedicated or L/O units with Marriott, fixed unit situations excluded. A L/O owner can book the dedicated subjective to availability and vice versa. It could change under the control management has over the reservation system.

These comments may just help me with my next potential purchase (MKO--don't know how many LO and single entry units not in the trust). From what has been posted, I could buy either type and reserve the other (based on availability of course).

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Oh, I see now. Thanks much!

These comments may just help me with my next potential purchase (MKO--don't know how many LO and single entry units not in the trust). From what has been posted, I could buy either type and reserve the other (based on availability of course).
The DC trust has the same reservation rights, floating unit. So the trust can book LO or non-LO just like a weeks owner can. The fact that a LO or non-LO is in the trust is meaningless.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The other issue if it matters is that MGV has units in the FL club and some that are not. In order to use the FC you'll need a unit that's included.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
The DC trust has the same reservation rights, floating unit. So the trust can book LO or non-LO just like a weeks owner can. The fact that a LO or non-LO is in the trust is meaningless.
I thought it would take away from the potential inventory available to weeks owners. I thought I read on other threads that most, if not all, of Nai'a is in the trust. Are you saying that a week's owner has just as much of a chance at getting Nai'a as a points'owner?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I thought it would take away from the potential inventory available to weeks owners. I thought I read on other threads that most, if not all, of Nai'a is in the trust. Are you saying that a week's owner has just as much of a chance at getting Nai'a as a points'owner?
Technically they should. Similar to at Oceana Palms where 100% of the Sunset Building is in the trust and most of the Sunrise building is weeks based. Someone booking points should have similar rights to stay in an ocean side unit in Sunrise. Of course OF at Oceana Palms would be a different situation since you can book that specific view with points. That said, they may manage unit assignments differently based on how one booked.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Technically they should. Similar to at Oceana Palms where 100% of the Sunset Building is in the trust and most of the Sunrise building is weeks based. Someone booking points should have similar rights to stay in an ocean side unit in Sunrise. Of course OF at Oceana Palms would be a different situation since you can book that specific view with points. That said, they may manage unit assignments differently based on how one booked.
Thanks much!

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Does Grand Chateau have non-lockoff 2BR units? We have been owners there for over 10 years and I was never aware of that.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
To echo what BocaBoy posted, are any of the Marriott Shadow Ridge units non-lockoff?

I know that about 30 percent of the Canyon Villas (Phoenix) units are non-lockoffs, and that all of the Newport Coast units are all 2 BR non-lockoffs. But I didn't know that there were any Shadow ridge or Grand Chateau units that were 2 BR non-lockoffs.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I have a lock off unit at Ko Olina and it is stated in my deed. So are those who don’t have it stated in their deeds get the same option? I would think if our only had but so many lock offs that not everyone who may not have it in their deed would have access to them.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I have a lock off unit at Ko Olina and it is stated in my deed. So are those who don’t have it stated in their deeds get the same option? I would think if our only had but so many lock offs that not everyone who may not have it in their deed would have access to them.
Correct, even if you don't have a deeded lock off unit, you still have the option to lock off.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone is deeded to a specific week/unit but from a reservation standpoint it doesn't matter. Owning a 2 BR lockoff or dedicated doesn't guarantee either or restrict one from either.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone is deeded to a specific week/unit but from a reservation standpoint it doesn't matter. Owning a 2 BR lockoff or dedicated doesn't guarantee either or restrict one from either.
I don’t understand how this works at Ko Olina, but at other MVC resorts where we own lock offs it doesn’t work like this.
If you own a lock off capable unit you get that not a dedicated unit and vice versa.