• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2017] Movie Pass

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last I checked Sinemia didn't cover the two art-house theaters in town, just the first-run multiplexes. That's been enough to keep me away so far, though it probably shouldn't be---I'm probably being irrational about this.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Movie Pass Subscribers File Class Action Suit for 'Bait and Switch' Scheme
By Gene Maddaus/ Biz/ News/ Variety/ variety.com

"Two MoviePass subscribers filed a class action lawsuit on Friday, alleging that they were able to see only three movies over 10 months due to routine blackouts.

Lawrence and Laurie Weinberger, of Sea Cliff, N.Y., allege that MoviePass engaged in a “deceptive and unfair bait-and-switch scheme” when it sold them each an annual pass in March 2018. They each paid $105.35, based on the promise that that they could see “any movie” in “any theater” on “any day,” up to one per day.

However, the suit alleges that when they checked for screenings on the MoviePass app, often none were available. They ended up seeing just three movies, and the suit alleges that MoviePass refused to provide a pro-rated refund for the annual pass.

The class action suit was filed in New York. Another class action was filed in San Francisco in November, also alleging that MoviePass had reneged on its promises by blacking out certain popular movies...."

moviepass.jpg

CREDIT: DARRON CUMMINGS/AP/REX/SHUTTERSTOCK

Richard

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sinemia starting to get real bad. Between cancelling a ton of heavier users and not offering pro-rated refunds, to cards not working any more (DW and mine has been declined for 3 weeks running), now asking for tips, app not working for most folks, etc. Sounding familiar?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
One can use them until they are no longer around though. Remember, MP was going out of business a year ago according to the news here. Now they have rebooted.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess. My time and emotional equilibrium is worth something, too. If it makes me angry to try to go see a movie, why would I do that?

Sure, if it does that to you, I agree! For me, I'd rather pay less until it's not an option anymore. There are no other options in rural America.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Sure, if it does that to you, I agree! For me, I'd rather pay less until it's not an option anymore. There are no other options in rural America.
??? on the bolded section?

I'm rural and enjoying Amazon Prime, Vudu, Roku and similar streaming options right to my living room. (Now that I have unlimited internet ... yeah! Let the streaming begin.) MP never appealed to me because I'm at least 30+ minutes to the nearest theatre. Why would I do that??

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
??? on the bolded section?

I'm rural and enjoying Amazon Prime, Vudu, Roku and similar streaming options right to my living room. (Now that I have unlimited internet ... yeah! Let the streaming begin.) MP never appealed to me because I'm at least 30+ minutes to the nearest theatre. Why would I do that??

I enjoy all that too, but I also enjoy new movies at the theater, and I even have a theater room at home.

Why? Because that's what I enjoy of course.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Still seeing our three movies a week for $20 with AMC A-List. It is about a 30 minute drive but we end up usually seeing all three movies on a Friday night. Just got back from seeing three pretty awful movies. Last week was actually three pretty good movies.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
And another one coming this summer, claims to be different, for the smaller chains or individual theaters, etc. After 3 weeks of declined Sinemia card, we did get to see Captain Marvel. Maybe they fixed it, who knows.

https://www.myinfinity.co

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was offered a promo for the one-movie-every-day plan for $15/mo today. Available either as an annual pre-paid plan or as a month-by-month w/an initiation fee of $20-$30. I'm not sure I'd trust them to last a year, but...

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was offered a promo for the one-movie-every-day plan for $15/mo today. Available either as an annual pre-paid plan or as a month-by-month w/an initiation fee of $20-$30. I'm not sure I'd trust them to last a year, but...

Which service?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sinemia finally lowered the promo price to $10/month for the 30-tickets-per-month plan, so I bit. I signed up for the month-to-month plan (I did not trust them enough to commit to a year) on 4/1. It was a bit more than two weeks before I could activate my cardless account without paying a fee. That happened on 4/17. I have been unable to buy a movie ticket even with the account "active". Selecting a theater/movie just gives me a "please wait" and returns me to the same screen.

I am not buying the physical card for another $25 or whatever they want to charge me. Based on what I can see on twitter, etc., lots of other people have the same problem and find the app completely unusable. I sent a request for a refund on the 17th based on that information. I will give them until the end of the month to do that, after which I will dispute the charge with my credit card issuer on the basis of non-performance.

It's unfortunate, but unsustainable models are unsustainable.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Our AMC A-List is still going strong...

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Sinemia finally lowered the promo price to $10/month for the 30-tickets-per-month plan,

It's unfortunate, but unsustainable models are unsustainable.
I'm sorry, but did you honestly think that a company that is saying they could provide 33-cent movie tickets could ever be sustainable?

Kurt

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I missed out. As I was calling to dispute the charge on my credit card on the basis of never receiving service, I saw the following on MoviePass' web site:

Dear Customer,

Today, with a heavy heart, we’re announcing that Sinemia is closing its doors and ending operations in the US effective immediately.​

Apparently, this happened just before Avengers came out. Hopefully those jerks will not get any of AmEx's money for my subscription. At least they won't get mine.

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Other than a timeshare purchase Movie Pass is one of the biggest scams I've ever fallen for. I had it for the original movie every day yearly price. I saw about 3 movies without a problem. Then the problems began. The app did not work when I went to get my ticket. I selected another movie at the same time and that did not go through. I walked outside redid my first movie choice and went inside. That worked. However, MP demanded I submit a photo shot of my ticket which I did. Then they asked I submit a photo shot of the second movie that I did not successfully get a ticket for and did not see. So, then they scolded me for not providing the pic of the tic. By then, cheap movies lost it's appeal. I'd rather wait a few months and give my money to the local $1.00 movie house and pay $6 for their big popcorn.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We ended up making a lot of money on Sinemia. We did sign up for the annual plan, and when they shut down, we disputed the charge since we did not get a years service. We won the dispute. While I did not ask for full refund, that is what I got. So, saw all those movies for close to zero.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We ended up making a lot of money on Sinemia. We did sign up for the annual plan, and when they shut down, we disputed the charge since we did not get a years service. We won the dispute. While I did not ask for full refund, that is what I got. So, saw all those movies for close to zero.

...... other than the headaches to get your money back.