• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2017] Custom House Questions

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the distinction for having the longest stay that the current front desk is aware of at the Custom House - 2 months stay over the summer in July and August. Unfortunately I don't know how much smaller the top units are compared to the lower units. But if you want to know more about Faneuil Hall or the basketball courts in the area, I have answers.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the distinction for having the longest stay that the current front desk is aware of at the Custom House - 2 months stay over the summer in July and August. Unfortunately I don't know how much smaller the top units are compared to the lower units. But if you want to know more about Faneuil Hall or the basketball courts in the area, I have answers.

We'll be there next week.

May I ask during your record stay did you form an opinion on the Black Rose across the street? Is it worth trying again? We had some good experiences followed by a few uneven ones.

Also If you don't mind me asking which is the best italian on the North End do you think? How about seafood? I figure you might be the best person to ask after your amazing stay.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

May I ask during your record stay did you form an opinion on the Black Rose across the street? Is it worth trying again? We had some good experiences followed by a few uneven ones.

Also If you don't mind me asking which is the best italian on the North End do you think? How about seafood? I figure you might be the best person to ask after your amazing stay.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Joe.....where have you been, my friend?-----see this thread below and scroll down to post #25.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/2017-custom-house-questions.260436/#post-2262442

To specifically answer your two questions regarding best Italian & seafood, I'd say for Italian it's Mama Maria's or Limoncello
(reservations ahead!!!!!),
but any place in North End you duck into will be a good experience.....

& for Seafood....Legal Seafoods next to Marriott's Long Wharf Hotel on the water!!!
Also a must-do is a dive called James Hook & Co (walk south along the water),
but they have fantastic lobster rolls and great chowder. It's our FIRST stop each time in Boston.

And Black Rose is just fine if you're tired and hungry and want good pub food...
we have no problem going there. Can't compare to Limoncello or Mama Maria's,
but not many can.

DJensen

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been working in Boston for the past 6 months on an every other week basis, our main location for stays have been in an around Copley Square with our office 2 blocks off of Fenway Park. I generally search Google Maps, locate restaurants and then read reviews (sorting by most recent, no most relevant). Have not visited as many down by Custom House but here are a few highlights:

By Custom House
Bostonia Public House - fun, young crowd - very busy for Happy Hour. Enjoyed the NE Clam Chowder and a Lobster Roll
Trillium - this is a brewery and one of the top MA locations. The food on the second floor is very well prepared and beer is outstanding. Be certain to get a reservation as I don't believe they serve any food on the main floor of brewery

North End - only went to one location but as noted above - reservations and most any place would be great

By Copley Square (we generally walk to locations, better weather longer walks):
Lolita's - hip Mexican location with goth theme. Very good food, just not long on value (2 tacos for $16)
Buttermilk and Bourbon - hip southern cooking / small plate. The biscuits (also not cheap) are heavenly and the chicken thighs are so good
Post 390 - very good food, main floor more tavern like, upstairs is finer dining
Summer Shack - very good seafood location in a unique location (above a bowling alley). very good crab cake sandwich
Lobstah on a Roll - as the name says - small hole in the wall location, mostly to go but a few chairs to sit
5 Horses Tavern - South End - fun tavern with pizza, burgers tacos, etc. also a good beer tap list if interested
Back Bay Social - ok location with varied menu
Whiskey's - think college town sports bar
Earl's - Canadian chain restaurant in Prudential Center - good food and fun, energized crowd
The Gallow's - interesting small location, good burgers
Coda - another small restaurant with very good food
Salty Pig - unique pizza's and a few pastas, fun atmosphere
Brownstone - generally good food - they have a foccacia appetizer that looks amazing

Around Town
Cava - think Chipotle, but Mediteranian food (very good, eat here for lunch at least 1 time per week)
Sweet Greens - think Chipotle, but with salads - not one of our favorites
Tasty Burger - good greasy burger and fries

Yet to Try:
Stoked - pizza west of Fenway (also have a food truck)
The Smoke Shop BBQ - multiple locations, believe was on Diner's, Drive-Ins and Dives

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Joe.....where have you been, my friend?-----see this thread below and scroll down to post #25.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/2017-custom-house-questions.260436/#post-2262442

To specifically answer your two questions regarding best Italian & seafood, I'd say for Italian it's Mama Maria's or Limoncello
(reservations ahead!!!!!),
but any place in North End you duck into will be a good experience.....

& for Seafood....Legal Seafoods next to Marriott's Long Wharf Hotel on the water!!!
Also a must-do is a dive called James Hook & Co (walk south along the water),
but they have fantastic lobster rolls and great chowder. It's our FIRST stop each time in Boston.

And Black Rose is just fine if you're tired and hungry and want good pub food...
we have no problem going there. Can't compare to Limoncello or Mama Maria's,
but not many can.

Hey Marty,
I definitely went with your recommendation on Mama Maria's and have the reservation all set for Wednesday next week. Also am seriously considering Legal Seafood but looking for other thoughts, especially from someone who was there for so long and I assume scope out the place pretty good. I eplit my unit and rented 4 nights so we're only there for 3 nights so need to account for 3 nice dinners and a few nice lunches. I did figure to have a lunch meal at Faneuil Hall so need a few others still. I'm still not sure if we'll take in the Yanks-Red Sox game.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Hey Marty,
I definitely went with your recommendation on Mama Maria's and have the reservation all set for Wednesday next week. Also am seriously considering Legal Seafood but looking for other thoughts, especially from someone who was there for so long and I assume scope out the place pretty good. I eplit my unit and rented 4 nights so we're only there for 3 nights so need to account for 3 nice dinners and a few nice lunches. I did figure to have a lunch meal at Faneuil Hall so need a few others still. I'm still not sure if we'll take in the Yanks-Red Sox game.

Joe,
For Mamma Maria, call ahead and ask for a "window table".....either second story or downstairs.
Or at least as close to the window as possible.

https://goo.gl/maps/o6ooMrqZsxNLspCVA

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x89e370890fddba55:0x6ad31e8d26ca9275!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttp://mammamaria.com/!5smama maria's boston - Google Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e1!2shttp://mammamaria.com/sites/default/files/0014.jpg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwibsMjEgbrjAhWaLc0KHdxzDPoQoiowDnoECAkQBg

Definitely walk down to James Hook & Co for one lunch.....it's worth it, nothing like it.
Professionals from the Financial District walk over there every day at lunchtime to grab a quick bite....
there are picnic tables outside, and limited but adequate seating inside. Delicious.

SEE:
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x89e3707e40e4f63b:0xc0e6695e6179ea71!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipOmn847MGv6M6nO9e9o9nU1OK63_o5nMXe_innY=w593-h320-k-no!5sjames hook & co - Google Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOmn847MGv6M6nO9e9o9nU1OK63_o5nMXe_innY&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjWlsPz9rnjAhVLZc0KHTlrCGkQoiowDnoECBAQBg

Consider Limoncello for your second "nice meal"...it's at the bottom of the square from Mamma Maria,
and immediately adjacent to Paul Revere's Home. Very romantic, authentic Italian for sure. Great mural on wall.
https://goo.gl/maps/o6ooMrqZsxNLspCVA

SEE:
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x89e37088e18bb9ab:0xc35af3813f724b24!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipNrQsqBI8qyxEOnRMBLS0zKS7chHujCnpMvBvj1=w213-h160-k-no!5slimoncello boston - Google Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNrQsqBI8qyxEOnRMBLS0zKS7chHujCnpMvBvj1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK8sic9rnjAhVbVc0KHRPpCtEQoiowCnoECA8QBg

Last edited:

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

In a short time, you've received a lot of good recommendations.

If you like Japanese, I highly recommend Kamkura across the street from the Custom House. Their Kaiseki tasting menu is unique and excellent.

I'm not sure if I would recommend Legal Seafood on the wharf for seafood. It is very convenient since it is a 2 minute walk but it is a chain. It's good, not great.

I wanted to try the Daily Catch but haven't made it yet.

Quincy Markets has decent Ipswich fried clams at Fisherman's Net if you are in the mood.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, and the Black Rose is just ok. Very convenient for sure. The staff is friendly and accommodating.

Some of their dishes are better than others. I think their Shepherds pie is quite good.

I like to go to the Black Rose for a couple drinks at the bar. The Cheers Bar at Quincy Market is too crowded and hectic. I don't like it at all. I also much prefer a comfortable Irish bar like Black Rose over the upscale and shiny bars in the area.

Last edited:

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
We go to the Daily Catch every year when we are at the Custom House. Definitely go to the one in the North End. Very small, no reservations, and cash only. Not fine dining, but authentic Italian food. The squid ink pasta in olive oil and garlic is a must try. It is available as an entree or appetizer.
We also like the clam chowder at the Union Oyster House. Sit at the oyster bar. I would not have a full meal there, very touristy and the food is nothing special.
Our go to pub is around the corner from the UOH. Sit at the bar at the Green Dragon and Chris will take good care of you.

Jim

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you are looking at the Go Boston card by any chance and you happen to be staying a week, then I would consider two three day cards instead of a 5 or 7 day card. With two cards you can take advantage of the trolly tour twice for two days each. This was our transportation a lot of the time. You would also get two premium experiences instead of just one. Just the added value of the second trolly tour and second premium experience more than makes up for the extra you will pay for two three day cards vs a 5 or 7 day card.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Had dinner at Mama Maria's and I must say it was one of the best dining experiences ever. We got there early and it worked out perfectly as they sat us in a window corner table that was really nice. The meal started with a truly amazing pesto and olives they served with wonderfully crunchy bread to start the meal. I would've been happy to pay for that as an appetizer it was so delicious. I had a veal ossobuco over risotto that was divine and wife had a spinach and sweet corn ravioli dish that she raved about. Enjoyed a few Peroni beers with the great food and it made for a truly fantastic meal. My daughter is insisting we eat at Carmelina's so that is where we're going tonight.

We've just been walking all over the weather has been so spectacular. We own an EOYO week which we think is just perfect to make it back every other year to this great city.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Had dinner at Mama Maria's and I must say it was one of the best dining experiences ever. We got there early and it worked out perfectly as they sat us in a window corner table that was really nice. The meal started with a truly amazing pesto and olives they served with wonderfully crunchy bread to start the meal. I would've been happy to pay for that as an appetizer it was so delicious. I had a veal ossobuco over risotto that was divine and wife had a spinach and sweet corn ravioli dish that she raved about. Enjoyed a few Peroni beers with the great food and it made for a truly fantastic meal. My daughter is insisting we eat at Carmelina's so that is where we're going tonight.

We've just been walking all over the weather has been so spectacular. We own an EOYO week which we think is just perfect to make it back every other year to this great city.

Sounds exactly like our several experiences there at Mamma Maria. Glad you went. We always get the window tables,
either upstairs or down, and the corner is an added bonus too.
They've always honored our requests despite being very busy. My last two meals there have been the ossobuco/risotto,
and it's fantastic. Nice choice.
Add a great Italian wine and a heavenly dessert and it's one of the year's most memorable meals.
We'll be there this Fall again, and can't wait.
Hope the entirety of your Boston stay was great, Joe...
it's such a fun city to explore by walking, and we love it more and more. Great sights, interesting history to relive,
wonderful shopping, amazing restaurants & bakeries, and lots of fun stuff of all sorts (sports, cultural events, market,
Symphony & Pops, museums, tours, pubs, etc).

Fill us in on your further activities........

Check out these Mamma Maria pics:
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...hUKEwiuseapwtLjAhVEhuAKHUopAbsQoiowDXoECA0QBg

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Marty...guess where I went to dinner Saturday evening. Had a Cat 5 free night from my Marriott credit card to burn...so booked a night at the Courtyard Boston Downtown. They gave me a late checkout until 4pm today (Titanium Status), so even had time to go on a 3 hour bike ride around the city before checking out today. If anybody in the New England area is looking for a place to use their Cat 5 CC free night, this was a pretty good value (would have been approx $350 cash to book the room)...and as far as Courtyards go, this is not your average Courtyard...was very nice. Its in the theater district, so about 1.1 miles from Quincy Market area, a block and a half from The Commons, a really easy walk to just about anywhere.

48399995296_89f6ce4ccb_z.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jme

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Marty...guess where I went to dinner Saturday evening. Had a Cat 5 free night from my Marriott credit card to burn...so booked a night at the Courtyard Boston Downtown. They gave me a late checkout until 4pm today (Titanium Status), so even had time to go on a 3 hour bike ride around the city before checking out today. If anybody in the New England area is looking for a place to use their Cat 5 CC free night, this was a pretty good value (would have been approx $350 cash to book the room)...and as far as Courtyards go, this is not your average Courtyard...was very nice. Its in the theater district, so about 1.1 miles from Quincy Market area, a block and a half from The Commons, a really easy walk to just about anywhere.

48399995296_89f6ce4ccb_z.jpg

You ask me to guess?

You forget, Bostonians have a T-shirt that says "Boston Strong",
but my T-shirt says "Boston Soon!"

So, it's "simple as cannoli", my friend....you were at one of our favorites, Limoncello, next door to Paul Revere's house...
and that mural is grand, no? I tell you, it was meant to be!!!
What a delightful place, as authentic as it gets....fabulous food and a romantic atmosphere...small and intimate,
and the perfect little Italian bistro. Hope you enjoyed it. We'll be there (again) for sure in October. Favorite waiter Corrado.

Great pic, by the way!!!!
And an ironic note, we were at BOTH of those scenes depicted in the mural last October.....
at Florence's Ponte Vecchio Bridge on the left, and Rome's Trevi Fountain on the right. How's that, my friend?

Cin Cin !

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x89e37088e18bb9ab:0xc35af3813f724b24!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipNrQsqBI8qyxEOnRMBLS0zKS7chHujCnpMvBvj1=w426-h320-k-no!5slimoncello boston - Google Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNrQsqBI8qyxEOnRMBLS0zKS7chHujCnpMvBvj1&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwj8gfrKgNnjAhUnxoUKHeGnBhMQoiowCnoECAwQBg

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We also experienced Carmelina's which also must go into the top-tier category. I had the Sunday Pasta which was rigatoni with sausage, meatballs and short rib and ricotta. Simply amazing.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We also experienced Carmelina's which also must go into the top-tier category. I had the Sunday Pasta which was rigatoni with sausage, meatballs and short rib and ricotta. Simply amazing.

Yep, I've had Carmelina's listed, and pretty much near the top. It's another good one! Actually most any Italian restaurant
in North End is going to be good, or else they wouldn't remain there, so don't be afraid to duck in anywhere.

and don't forget James Hook & Co. down the harbor....
it's worth the walk (10 min)...great lobster rolls and chowder.
https://goo.gl/maps/xVHBgv39JNtqxgVN8

è un mondo bellissimo (it's a beautiful world)

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
If anyone sees this post, is Mama Maria a family friendly space? I really want to try it, but don't want to take my (7 and 10) kiddos there if it will disrupt other patrons or they will hate it...
We are staying at the Custom House in April and I'm trying to plan out our meals..

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
If anyone sees this post, is Mama Maria a family friendly space? I really want to try it, but don't want to take my (7 and 10) kiddos there if it will disrupt other patrons or they will hate it...
We are staying at the Custom House in April and I'm trying to plan out our meals..
Mama's would certainly be on the more formal side of the North End.

A more kid friendly place that you may enjoy would be http://lafamigliagiorgios.com/

For pizza, I like https://www.anticofornoboston.com/

Damn it....now I'm hungry!!! ;-)

Woj

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
3 marriott cypress harbour
1 marriott custom house
We will be selling our Custom House this year and my question is what is the best way to go about it? We have been Marriott owners for over 25 years and have 3 Cypress weeks plus the Custom House week. We do not need all these weeks any more and plan to sell our Custom House week for ANY reasonable offer!

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
Redweek has a Gold season for sale for $910 and a Platinum season for $999. It's a tough sale since it is a small one bedroom, right to use, and high maintenance fees. However, we still very much enjoy the Custom House. They were doing a deed back if you pay current maintenance fees but I don't know if they are still doing it.

Woj

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1 marriott custom house
Thanks for the response as I kind of guessed that that would be the answer. A hard pill to swallow since paying $22,000 for the week. On the other hand it was years ago and since then we have been all over the world three times while using the week for trades as well as reward points. Timeshares were never meant to be a good business investment.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Are they taking deedbacks at Custom House since they can't convey these to the trust? The only way Marriott can get rid of them is to resell them.

Woj

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1 marriott custom house
Yes they are. Last month I emailed the Marriott and got a response that they would do a deed back at no cost and also no monies in exchange. I emailed back that that is ridiculous as I originally paid $21,900 for the property and no monies in exchange is insulting. Well after a month I find out that that is a good deal! Welcome back to reality!