TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

[ 2016 ] What is the Best Marriott or Westin resort in Palm Springs/Desert???

Discussion in 'US - Western States Timesharing' started by crf450x, May 25, 2016.

1. crf450x

crf450x TUG Member

There are so many choices of resorts available between the Marriott and Westin properties. Not familiar with any of them and would like to know a ranking of best to least based on best pools, activities and resort feel. Have kids so a pool area with lazy rivers and water park like features is a plus.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  2. pacman777

pacman777 TUG Member

Check out trip advisor. I'm biased since I own Westin Desert Willow Villas in Palm Desert. I think Westins are nicer and more upscale the Marriotts.

3. WalnutBaron

WalnutBaron TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Welk
    Marriott Desert Springs

Marriott Desert Springs is a fantastic, beautifully-maintained resort with lots of restaurants, recreation activities, and beautiful surroundings.

Westin Mission Hills is also tasteful and lovely. Just remember that both Mission Hills and Desert Willow are voluntary resorts, meaning that your resale value is negatively impacted by the fact that you cannot trade in to other Starwood resorts, nor can your potential buyer if you choose to sell it.

4. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

Check out the TUG Resorts and Reviews for this region, where you will see them ranked.

5. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

My ranking based on room size, furnishings, restaurants and amenities:
    1. Marriott's Desert Springs 1
    2. Westin Mission Hills
    3. Marriott's Desert Springs 2
    4. Westin Desert Willow

I have stayed with the above countless times and they are all great resorts. Both Desert Springs and Mission Hills are superior to Desert Willow due to the affiliation with the hotel side. I have not stayed at Marriott's Shadow Ridge.

Sunshine10 likes this.
  6. crf450x

crf450x TUG Member

Great info. Any of the resorts have lazy rivers or decent slides?

7. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
    Shadow Ridge has a slide, and I'd recommend it over Desert Springs for kids. Search the forums, there are many threads comparing these resorts.

8. Ken555

Ken555 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    All depends on perspective. I prefer Desert Willow since it doesn't have a hotel nearby.

9. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    I personally loved Mission Hills, but I am inclined to love a resort with lots of television channels for our evenings in the unit, and I loved the water slide, too. I rarely go into the pools, but we were in the pool and the very private hot tub quite a bit on our trip in early December.

10. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
  11. Vacationsarefun

Vacationsarefun TUG Member

We really enjoyed Shadow Ridge (they have a slide and a nice pool but nothing extraordinary) a couple of years ago. The kids keep asking to go back as it was a very relaxing stay.

12. Ryes

Ryes Guest

I thought I’d post here to update it instead of starting a new thread. Stayed at the Marriott Desert Springs I and II last year and am now at the Westin Desert Willow.

The Westin has 4 pool areas, 2 with water slides. One of those 4 pool areas is a quiet pool and it is still a good size and someone comes around to take your order. The Desert springs has more pool areas but many are very small and no one takes your orders at the smaller ones. The pool loungers have nice cushioning on them at the Westin but not at the Marriott.

There is room service at the Westin but not at the Marriott. This is a big deal to me as the Marriott has no a food options once the pool food area closes, besides the little marketplace store, other than traipsing all the way to the Marriott hotel... this might not be as big a deal for you. In fairness to the Marriott, that marketplace store has more selection of food/groceries than the Westin marketplace.

The 1 bedroom is big at the Marriott compared to the Westin.

At the big pools at the desert springs where they do take your order there is louder music. There is no music at the smaller pools. At the quiet pool at the Westin it is more of a background relaxing sound for the music and other music at the other pools.
    Desert springs has a nearby hotel facilities you can hang out at (for a fee or free depending on which day of the week and which desert springs villa - 1 or 2).

The Westin has more early bird specials on 4 different menus (well that’s counting the marketplace’s smoothies, so 3 with food options).

Marriott has a recliner on the patio. Westin doesn’t (just chairs and table)

The studio in Marriott’s villas 1 didn’t even have a water source from which u could fill up in the room, other than the bathroom sink.

All in, the resorts seem pretty equal but the room (1 bedroom and up) seems better at the Marriott due to its large size, while the Westin resort itself feels slightly more upscale other than the actual room size

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  13. Ryes

Ryes Guest

Delete

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  14. melissy123

melissy123 TUG Member

We were just at Marriott Desert Springs Villas 1. They look like they've just been remodeled. The studio units have an almost normal size fridge and a bar sink.