• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2016] School starts 2 weeks earlier than previously scheduled

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Our elementary school was very strict--zeros for missing due to vacation, even a family wedding was considered unexcused. It's elementary school, but getting zeros and then getting a C as a result is hard for a 10 year old. I resented the principal having this policy until I talked to her. She said that our school got tagged as a Title I school (in an affluent area) b/c we had so many absences from families taking vacations, despite having some of the highest test scores, reading levels, etc. (more than 10% of the students had 10 or more absences). Thus, they had to institute the zero tolerance for vacations policy. In our little, close-knit school, I didn't really want to get tagged as a problem parent.
Middle school was much more lenient, but by then, we were in the school break groove and never considered taking them out, plus eldest was then in HS.
Confession--we fudge the day prior to Spring break, they day after (when we don't get it off), and a few times, the 2.5 days prior to Thanksg break.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I have great respect for those parents who show, by example, that a healthy work/life balance and spending quality time with family is sometimes a better choice than a perfect attendance record.

Kurt

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I'm fine with taking my son out of school for one week. But I already had one week planned for that. If I hadn't changed the Maui trip he then would miss two weeks. That wouldn't leave much room for missing school for more legitimate reasons like illness or injury.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Our elementary school was very strict--zeros for missing due to vacation, even a family wedding was considered unexcused. It's elementary school, but getting zeros and then getting a C as a result is hard for a 10 year old. I resented the principal having this policy until I talked to her. She said that our school got tagged as a Title I school (in an affluent area) b/c we had so many absences from families taking vacations, despite having some of the highest test scores, reading levels, etc. (more than 10% of the students had 10 or more absences). Thus, they had to institute the zero tolerance for vacations policy. In our little, close-knit school, I didn't really want to get tagged as a problem parent.
Middle school was much more lenient, but by then, we were in the school break groove and never considered taking them out, plus eldest was then in HS.
Confession--we fudge the day prior to Spring break, they day after (when we don't get it off), and a few times, the 2.5 days prior to Thanksg break.

In our district (and I believe in the state of California), the schools lose money when kids are absent - for any reason. In our district it became a substantial amount of money - so much so that they changed the school calendar to give students a week at Thanksgiving, two weeks at Christmas, a week for President's Day, plus a week for spring break to give families the time to take vacations without missing school.

We took a lot of great trips when our kids were in school - but we usually went in July and December. Once our kids hit high school it was a moot point. Their extra curricular activities dictated our travel schedule.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
we have actually seriously thought about homeschooling to travel off season. We decided that good, free public school for 3 kids outweighed being able to travel off season. So, we have sweated it out in Europe, and skipped places, like Versailles, b/c of the summer crowds. We have paid $$$ for cruises when we could have gone for 1/2 price a week earlier and missed school, or not gone b/c I couldn't swallow the higher price. We decided the 7-8 other months of HS (and lack of interaction with friends) was not worth it for us for the freedom to travel.
I have always homeschooled and homeschooling does not in any way keep us from our friends. As a matter of fact, our lives are more social than most non homeschoolers. This is a stigma place on homeschoolers that is completely untrue. I know it's an old post, but just had to add as an advocate for the campaign for homeschool awareness lol!

mmthomas

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the principal's decision for his/her own career goals. Nothing to do with students. Be sure you understand how strictly "truency" rules are enforced in a school district. Speak to the district administrator, not the principal.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is the principal's decision for his/her own career goals. Nothing to do with students. Be sure you understand how strictly "truency" rules are enforced in a school district. Speak to the district administrator, not the principal.

Principals do not set the school schedule (except maybe in tiny one school districts) - this is a decision made by the school board.

The attendance rules are published, and are also determined by the state and the school board - it's certainly not something you would call the superintendent about.

The attendance rules are usually sent home early in the school year, and can be provided by the office at the school.

Last edited: