• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2016] School starts 2 weeks earlier than previously scheduled

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
A year ago we exchanged our Summer So Cal week for a Maui week through RCI for August 2017. Well, the school year has changed and they are are now starting the 2017-2018 school year TWO weeks earlier than previously scheduled.

The way we see it, our options are:
1. Cancel and try to rebook something similar through RCI (unlikely - there's nothing in Hawaii at all that fits our schedule, much less Maui).
2. Go on the trip anyway and have our son miss the first week of school.
3. Try to trade with a Tugger or friend. Trade, not rent.
4. Cancel and book something totally different (another year or different location).
5. Cancel and book something similar with cash. Use the TPU later for something else.

What would you do?

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
What grade will your son be in next year? What is the school policy on family time for missing school - Excused or Unexcused?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it were me, depending on school policy as riverdees noted, I would probably pull him out of the first week of school. He's early grade, they really don't do much in the first week, and at the income level of families at the school your son attends, I'd venture to guess he may not be the only student missing the first few days. Again, depending on school policy. If your school uses online learning tools like IXL, ReadingEggs, McGraw-Hill ConnectEd, etc., you can get with his teacher to make sure you have logons to give him a little work in HI and stay fresh for MAP testing.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whether you do #2 or not is a personal decision based on your family. For my own kids, we decided to not pull them out of school for vacations. So, personally, I'd go with one of the other options.

Also, note that a trade of a confirmed exchange is still technically against the rules. The Disclosure Guide includes "barter" as something you can't do. So that probably rules out #3.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
What grade will your son be in next year? What is the school policy on family time for missing school - Excused or Unexcused?

2nd grade. It would be unexcused.

I should also note that we do also plan to take him out for another week in February. So if we take this week off then he would be missing two weeks total during that school year for vacations plus whatever he misses for illness and injury. We're definitely leaning towards canceling the trip.

If it were me, depending on school policy as riverdees noted, I would probably pull him out of the first week of school. He's early grade, they really don't do much in the first week, and at the income level of families at the school your son attends, I'd venture to guess he may not be the only student missing the first few days. Again, depending on school policy. If your school uses online learning tools like IXL, ReadingEggs, McGraw-Hill ConnectEd, etc., you can get with his teacher to make sure you have logons to give him a little work in HI and stay fresh for MAP testing.

Yes, I do think many other parents will simply have their kids miss that week. But the school is trying to limit how many by sending out this notice and encouraging parents to make other arrangements. We are fine with having our kiddo miss some school for vacations... we'd just rather it not be that first week since it sets the tone for learning and helps him adjust from Summer to school.

The only online learning they do is for the language immersion program. And that is already just homework not schoolwork. At his school they don't use tablets or computers in the classroom until higher grades.

Also, note that a trade of a confirmed exchange is still technically against the rules. The Disclosure Guide includes "barter" as something you can't do. So that probably rules out #3.

Good to know.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I'm mostly just bummed because I don't see how we're going to get to Maui now unless we pay cash. RCI has nothing in ALL of Hawaii that fits our schedule for either 2017 or 2018!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi Vegas Belle ,
I realize this is a personal / family decision . However :

between kindergarten and grade 12 there are approx.2340 school attendance days ( based on a 180 day school,year )

I am sure a visit to Hawaii could include learning new things and exploring .
Isn't that the core of all education ?

I hope this is helpful .

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I'm mostly just bummed because I don't see how we're going to get to Maui now unless we pay cash. RCI has nothing in ALL of Hawaii that fits our schedule for either 2017 or 2018!

You could call Trading Places Maui and see if they would accept a deposit of one of your units. They get a great supply of Maui Lea units as they are the onsite exchange company. It's a small place, easy to work with. I would give it a try.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
A year ago we exchanged our Summer So Cal week for a Maui week through RCI for August 2017. Well, the school year has changed and they are are now starting the 2017-2018 school year TWO weeks earlier than previously scheduled.

The way we see it, our options are:
1. Cancel and try to rebook something similar through RCI (unlikely - there's nothing in Hawaii at all that fits our schedule, much less Maui).
2. Go on the trip anyway and have our son miss the first week of school.
3. Try to trade with a Tugger or friend. Trade, not rent.
4. Cancel and book something totally different (another year or different location).
5. Cancel and book something similar with cash. Use the TPU later for something else.

What would you do?

What Resort?

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)

I would set up a search in RCI for 2018, as I would not think most of those summer deposits have happened.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

There is a 1br in Kihei for July 2017, GPX bonus week on sale half off right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ugh....that really stinks. I too find myself torn with the decision to take my DD out of school for vacations. (and she is private school and they allow it)

I was faced with the same thing in in 2015. She was going to miss her first two 1/2 days of 4th grade. Yes....two 1/2 days. There would have been no "education" that she would have missed and I talked to the teacher and she was ok. BUT...I decided to still change plans.

Those first couple days are when the kids rekindle friendships they had the year before or start new ones. For a lot of kids, if they are not ok with the social aspect of school....then the educational part hurts.

Every school year I make the promise to myself that she won't miss more than 5 days for vacation time. Yes, it usually gets broken by a few days because we leave a day early or stay a day late due to flights.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Do the children ever get consulted in these decisions? First grade might not be such a big deal, but as they get older many times they don't want to miss the beginning of school.

Also, many school districts (I know this was true in California) only get money for the children present.

And if the child is taken out for an excused absence, many times they need to be doing some kind of school work. What kind of vacation is that?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you homeschool for one year? That's what I'd do.
If not, I'd discuss it with the teacher. Not sure if that is an option this early in the game.

As SmithOP said, GPX always has stuff especially right at a year out.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If not, I'd discuss it with the teacher. Not sure if that is an option this early in the game.

As SmithOP said, GPX always has stuff especially right at a year out.

Really? You'd stay home from your job for a year so you could homeschool just so you could take your child to Hawaii.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do the children ever get consulted in these decisions?

Yes, I always ask my daughter her thoughts and she becomes part of the decision making process.

"Can you homeschool for one year? That's what I'd do."
God Bless you. I have the utmost respect for parents that can do this and do it right. I can't make it through a 1/2 hour of math homework without a struggle on both our side! I write this as I am just about ready to find my checkbook to pay for the tutor my daughter is sitting with now....

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
There is a 1br in Kihei for July 2017, GPX bonus week on sale half off right now.

THIS is why I love TUG!!!

I saw the sale and checked the list but I didn't think to login or call to see the updated availability. I called this morning and GPX had many options that fit our schedule. Not just one resort on Maui with availability but THREE! And with the sale it worked out great. We booked a Maui week that fits our schedule and is right on the beach. I'm so excited!

I canceled the RCI week. I'm bummed we had to forfeit our exchange fee and cancel the RCI week. And I'm bummed we're paying anything more than just an exchange fee. But we got a nice week in Maui through GPX for only $650. And I can use my deposit in RCI for something else the following year. It's more than we planned on spending but it's less than we were willing to spend so that's a win for me :)

Those first couple days are when the kids rekindle friendships they had the year before or start new ones. For a lot of kids, if they are not ok with the social aspect of school....then the educational part hurts.
Yes! My son is very social and would miss his friends a lot. And he's not great with anything if he has to jump in late. I'm glad he won't have to miss the first week.

Do the children ever get consulted in these decisions?
Interestingly, the kiddo is the one who has been pushing for Hawaii. All his friends have gone and he is jealous.

Also, many school districts (I know this was true in California) only get money for the children present.
In this case it's a private school and tuition is paid monthly or yearly. So they'd get paid whether or not we took the vacation.

Wow, I hadn't considered that at all. I really do not want to homeschool. I will do it if we have to (for example if school is not safe or healthy for my son etc) but I want to exhaust private and public school options first.

I had instead considered going to Hawaii without him - just doing a romantic retreat with my husband. I'm a little surprised no one mentioned that as an option. I don't want to because I know my son will love Hawaii but I did think about it for a second or two ;)

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
glad it worked out for you as well as it did. We got lucky last year. We traded via RCI for Bermuda, taking the week prior to what we wanted, b/c I did know if it would come up in RCI. Then, our school bumped up by 1 week. They excused anyone with pre-existing vacations plans. But, I would not have wanted my high schoolers to miss the 1st week. We got back Sat and they started Mon. They missed orientation, but not the 1st week of school. A number of parents had big trips already planned with tickets bought and kids missed the 1st week.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really? You'd stay home from your job for a year so you could homeschool just so you could take your child to Hawaii.

I am self employed and homeschooled for many years. So, YES, I would REALLY do that.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
we have actually seriously thought about homeschooling to travel off season. We decided that good, free public school for 3 kids outweighed being able to travel off season. So, we have sweated it out in Europe, and skipped places, like Versailles, b/c of the summer crowds. We have paid $$$ for cruises when we could have gone for 1/2 price a week earlier and missed school, or not gone b/c I couldn't swallow the higher price. We decided the 7-8 other months of HS (and lack of interaction with friends) was not worth it for us for the freedom to travel.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I love my son's school too much to seriously consider homeschooling. It's a fantastic private school where he is developing academically and socially. The public school we are zoned for is also very good, I just dislike traditional schooling methods thus prefer the private school. Given my son's temperament and mine, homeschooling is really not the best option. But like I said if we need to I will do it.

There is an active homeschooling community here in the Vegas valley, which is great. So I know plenty of homeschooled kids and, well, my kid is reading in two languages at age six whereas they're a year older and not reading at all. Socially they're all well behaved kids who are respectful and kind. But academically it's night and day.

Granted, my kid would probably be reading no matter how he's schooled because that's MY priority (and most of these homeschooled kids' parents are of the mindset that there's no benefit to reading earlier so their kids simply reflect their priorities not the schooling method) but I'm just so happy with the education he's receiving that I wouldn't change it unless I had to.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised so many parents are concerned about taking a young child out of school for a family vacation. We did it every year through high school and it never effected our kids learning in any way shape or form.

Maybe we were comfortable because my kids did very well in school and didn't miss school otherwise but we also always felt they got way more out of a family vacation than a week at school.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I'm surprised so many parents are concerned about taking a young child out of school for a family vacation. We did it every year through high school and it never effected our kids learning in any way shape or form.

Maybe we were comfortable because my kids did very well in school and didn't miss school otherwise but we also always felt they got way more out of a family vacation than a week at school.

Gee, silly us. We always stuck to the school schedule for our family vacations. That was what had been done when I was growing up.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

My kids are below school age, and I fully expect to take them out of school for vacations in elementary. I would probably hesitate to have them miss the first week however, for socialization and routine reasons.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

Commitment is something that should be instilled in us from the earliest age possible. If our children see us not taking their attendance seriously (for our own benefit of leisure time), on what ground do we demand that they take it seriously? The habits they build in elementary school, reinforced by their own decisions in high school and college, will be with them through life.

Now the first or last week of school is fair game imho, because by my experience they are throw-away weeks with no education going on in lower grades (granted the socialization aspect of not being a latecomer to meet the new classmates). Even then, I would still be sending a message about how seriously I take their attendance. Pulling them out in the middle of the school year because I want a vacation is definitely sending them the wrong message.

This is my philosophy and opinion, and there are as many different opinions as there are families. My opinion shouldn't be construed as a normative strike at others.