• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How happy are you with your Marriott ownership?

• I'm very happy with my ownership.

Votes: 193 43.6%
  • I'm happy despite occasional problems, e.g., availability issues, Destination Club confusion, etc.

Votes: 111 25.1%
  • I'm neutral.

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • I'm a bit unhappy with my ownership, but have no current plans to dispose of my Marriott ownership.

Votes: 49 11.1%
  • I'm unhappy, want to sell and would not buy another Marriott.

Votes: 52 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I love my Marriotts!

I just wish they would give me the opportunity to enroll my post 2010 weeks--at less than the cost of a new car. More like a well-used Yugo kind of price. :D

Waiohai is gorgeous and the staff is fab. I don't know what Grande Vista is like and probably never will (unless I have grandkids sooner rather than later).

But, my Waiohai week (from my MGR studio) was fabulous. Who can't use two weeks on Kauai? I'm sure my week in Spain will also be fab.

Strong trades, rising resale value, known quality, II exchanges and a huge network of resorts. (ok, a great big network, not truly huge).

I should sell these things! (ok, jk on that. )

ihmkkbg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Voted very happy

We are legacy owners and bought the minimum DC points to enroll all weeks. Takes some work tracking and planning, but would do this any way for vacation planning.

Chairmanship Club level has the biggest perk to us to work either the home resort location 13 months out or flip back into the DC program. The deeded weeks have the lowest MF increases vs the those that pay DC MF's that seem to cover the uncolectables from the over aggressive sales folks. We can opt into cruises, Collette travel, Pulse and the homes easy to meet the changing needs of our vacation.

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're overall happy. We love the resorts, love the opportunity to visit Maui every year, and have loved every resort we've visited. There are a few issues, of course: very VERY hard to trade weeks via Interval. (At least into prime properties, due to lack of inventory getting to Interval) We are among those unhappy with the "skim" on depositing a week for points, not being worth as much as is deposited.
But we are very happy with the personnel, both at the resorts and in the office, helping to make reservations, etc.

bvogel7475

Reaction score
What is the criteria for happy. Am I happy that my maintenance fees alone are more expensive than what it would cost me to rent instead of own my timeshare...or is it the fact that Marriott will only give me $3,600 for a 1 bedroom 1 week villa Platinum Ski timeshare at the Marriott Timberlodge that I paid $26,000 dollars for in 2008...or the fact that they gouged me with a 14% interest rate for 10 years to buy this timeshare. I was OK with the rate at the time because the fact that it would depreciate 88% in 8 years never crossed my mind. Sure, the place and service is pretty good if take out the fact that this timeshare is going to cost me $40,000 in loan payments and $10,000 in maintenance fees over a ten year period. I should be shot for buying this timeshare and then the management of Marriott should be criminally prosecuted for robbery.

willfly13

TUG Member
Reaction score
As an owner of an Asia Pacific property, I can say that I am happy I now have more than 6 resorts to choose from without exchanging through II.
The locations are beautiful and every property I've been to has been enjoyable. But, would I do it again? Probably not. MFs are high and as bvogel said, there are many places for rent at equal prices.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy with the quality of the resorts and happy with the quality of trades that I get in II. The only thing I wish Marriott would do is to have buyback program for all resorts and all weeks, anything above $0. I bought my weeks from Marriott resale department and I am trying to get a listing through them now that our travel needs have changed. I was told that my weeks will be waitlisted but no ETA in sight as to when they will move. They also indicated that they did not have a buyback program at that point in time but would gladly accept a deedback for free. I guess I missed the window for when they were buying back the weeks at my resort.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
this poll/thread spans 3 years. Interesting to hear the answers. We stay at M's almost every year but do not own (trade in or pay cash), but looking to buy either M, Hyatt, or HGVC in the next 2 years, as we will be pre-retirees with more travel time. Keep um coming.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
We have gotten a lot of enjoyment from our ownership, but if we had it to do over again we would probably buy only one week to get into the system. The reason? Out of control maintenance fees, which will probably force us to sell all but one of our weeks in a few years. We have already reduced from 6 weeks to 3 weeks because of the maintenance fee increases.

MartinHD28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Beach Place Towers
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Very happy. So far the good things we expected have been as good as we expected and the negative things have been about as negative as we expected.

The main thing we tried to manage before purchasing was our expectation. There is an upside and a downside to everything. Managing expectations and compromise seem to be the orders of the day when dealing with timeshares.

birddog31

Reaction score
What is the criteria for happy. Am I happy that my maintenance fees alone are more expensive than what it would cost me to rent instead of own my timeshare...or is it the fact that Marriott will only give me $3,600 for a 1 bedroom 1 week villa Platinum Ski timeshare at the Marriott Timberlodge that I paid $26,000 dollars for in 2008...or the fact that they gouged me with a 14% interest rate for 10 years to buy this timeshare. I was OK with the rate at the time because the fact that it would depreciate 88% in 8 years never crossed my mind. Sure, the place and service is pretty good if take out the fact that this timeshare is going to cost me $40,000 in loan payments and $10,000 in maintenance fees over a ten year period. I should be shot for buying this timeshare and then the management of Marriott should be criminally prosecuted for robbery.
Straight shooter. That was half depressing but good point.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sunbum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love the resorts, no problem there. The booking process is a joke. Especially for high demand weeks at high demand resorts. there is NO 13 month inventory available more the 12 most popular weeks. So MCVI told us to buy more weeks, so we could book out further, that no longer works as too many people have done that. So, you might as well just own one week. the booking advantage is gone.

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
I like owning a Marriott week fine and can easily sell mine for more than I paid since it was a resale week bought privately. I make very good money renting the week out each year so have never used my owned week and thus will probably keep it. However, ultimately I still think renting offers the best flexibility and access to all weeks and all resorts that is far superior to ownership. For example, if I need two units the same week during Christmas or something like that I can easily accomplish that through redweek, Ebay, etc.... Not so much as an owner. For those that are flexible with their travel renting is ridiculously cheap as the last minute deals can be absolute bargains. So, while I did turn down a sale last year I would probably accept the next offer I get just to have one less thing to worry about each year.

scpoidog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina

Not to kick you while you're down, but it probably depreciated 88% the day after you signed the contract. But a 14% interest rate in 2008? 2nd mortgages and equity loans were going for what 4% If you bought in 2008 right before the economy tanked. That was just a bad decision.

Hopefully you got some good vacations and memories out of up your week.

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
I’ve classified myself as neutral mostly because at this point in our lives the questions in the poll (as asked) don’t seem to fit my feelings.

We’ve owned 4 units for 12 years, all purchased on the resale market. Have enjoyed virtually every year at our home resorts, however, times change. The aging process kicks in and packing and moving and packing and moving not only becomes tedious, it’s sometimes difficult.

I’m grateful for what I’ve learned about the TS process…but mostly grateful to TUG.

Would I purchase again? No, not knowing what I know now, (thank you TUG)

Would I recommend purchasing timeshares?…not very likely. My children don’t even want our remaining timeshares, (both T/S being great locations). But their lives have changed as well. They see tuitions, weddings etc as far more important than a $1500+ maintenance fee.

Would I get out if I could? Yes…I’m slowly divesting myself, (sold 2) and trying to sell the others.

I just wish Marriott had a “reasonable” exit strategy that is not designed to squeeze every dime out you. I always knew I would not get my money back, but my last venture into contacting M regarding a buy-back, was insulting! And remember, I purchased resale. I ache for those that purchased from M (or any other developer) when they were selling weeks in the 37k range.

Lastly…”points” were nothing that I would EVER be interested in. I’m sure there are benefits regarding choices and flexibilities, but when I think back to what my 15,400 points would cost (at today’s point cost),
I think it’s preposterous. Then add in the higher cost of MF per point…NO WAY

There doesn’t seem to be an exit strategy for point owners either.

Again, I’ve enjoyed them for several years, however, I wish they had a question in the survey….”would you get out if you could”? it would be YES!

Mike

Finntastic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy with my ownership. This year most of my maintenance Fees were paid for by family that used our points at a Hilton Head resort that they loved despite the weather being cool this year. Using points off season makes for cheap accommodations in beautiful locations. We used the cruise deal this year that came with our encore package. Loved cruising and think i used my encore package to my advantage. We actually have only used our points this year for a one night stay in Fort Lauderdale after our cruise. The rest were used by family. A win win this year.

snowgoose

Reaction score
Unhappy. Marriott MOC has priced themselves out of the market. With my two weeks maintenance fees hitting 1983.00 per week I now selling them back to Marrriott. Last February cost me 285.00 per night at MOC when you figure Hawaiin tax plus maintainance fees. I'm renting a full size 2 bedroom condo/home in gated complex on golf course in Kahanapali for 160.00 nite plus 225 cleaning fee. Park at the front door is a plus. MOC was nice in 2000 but not the same market today.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Looking at the survey, though as unscientific, I am a bit surprised that only 70% of people are happy with their ownership. I would have expected higher numbers, at least from the knowledgeable bunch on TUG that tend to get more value from their ownership.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
We like our ownership (purchased in 2006), but dislike the Destinations Club. By the time they take their cut, we have too few points left for a decent exchange. So we refused to join...and have been getting good exchanges through Interval International.

We like our Starwood ownership more...mainly because they let us exchange within the system without taking a skim, and that lets us get 13 nights for our 1-week ownerships when we stay off-season. We never deposit these resorts with I.I.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Purchased sometime before 2000, have travelled the world, and am very happy. The ownership was purchased direct from Marriott, which of course is not necessarily the wisest thing to do, however, it has nevertheless worked out, probably somewhat lucky. The deal was actually an excellent deal (excellent defined as almost impossible to beat on a direct purchase). We ended up with 2 overseas paid trips at no cost to us and several other perks that really were useful. Desert Springs seems to trade very well, into numerous places that they keep telling us we can't trade into but do. Just takes some persistence. We did later buy a minimum points just to enroll the week. This then allowed us to recently add on to the points total via resale market at rock bottom prices (which ends up less rock bottom due to the transfer fee of course). The costs can actually be quite attractive, just depends how you travel and how you use the system. For example, we generally get to go to 2 "presentations" each year, which we *gladly* do. That earns us, by itself, 50,000 points per year, valued at around .9 cents each = $450 per year. Since we have owned for close to 20 years, they have given us around $9,000 just in rewards points. $450 per year for 2-3 hours of "work" isn't bad. So, just the rewards points have paid for our original ownership (not to mention the value of the other incentives which we use to our advantage), so, the only money we are out (other than yearly fees) is for the minimal points, plus now our add on that passed ROFR a few weeks back. The value of the incentives we got + the rewards points paid for our original ownership + the minimal points purchase. So, our only expense has been the yearly maintenance and II.

We priced out recent stays in Australia via online sites to see what they would cost to rent (not Marriott, the discount sites). We were ahead by $3,100 for the 3 weeks we stayed in villas. That is, $3,100 in maintenance fees under the cost of renting the same places. 2 of the 3 weeks were from our original purchase which was paid for long ago so there is no additional cost to add to that.

We like many saw very little value in the points. However, after having used it, and done some analysis, we can see where it could be good as a cheap addon. With our recent point purchase and the discounts that go with the new ownership level, I can see us getting 5-7 weeks per year out of it and our ownership. The lockoff has proven to be invaluable. The trade value of that detail has proven to be the most cost effective part of the program. We've traded into so many gold or elite level II resorts all around the world, from Hawaii to Chile, various islands, Australia as mentioned, etc. all for a lockoff.

This ownership has "forced" us to travel like we never would have. And we've enjoyed every minute. We just got back a few weeks ago from Australia, we spent 4 weeks there at 4 different locations (including the MVCI there). Airfare - 0, stays - 0, our only expense was food, entertainment, shopping. Since I am retiring at year end, we'll have plenty of time to enjoy those 5-7 weeks each year.

forestgump14

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been very happy with my Marriott timeshare. I bought a 3 Bedroom Lock-off which for us was the best way to go. We get one family trip and one husband/wife trip for the price of one maintenance fee. We have not converted to DC points yet and will hold out as long as inventory is available with Interval. I have had absolutely no trouble trading my unit for: Maui Ocean Club, Newport Coast Villas,
Aruba Surf Club, Aruba Ocean Club x3, St, Kitts, Oceanwatch Villas and others. I just traded my 2 Bedroom for Frenchman's Cove in St. Thomas next year that went through the first week available. I also have received some unbelievable deals on Getaways. I also own Wyndham timeshares that were much cheaper but not nearly as easy to use and quality is sub-Marriott. The one thing that I like that Wyndham does is bill MF's monthly and for those that comment that MF's are too high it makes it easier to vacation. Our family has been able to take vacations that we never would have.

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been very happy with my Marriott timeshare. I bought a 3 Bedroom Lock-off which for us was the best way to go. We get one family trip and one husband/wife trip for the price of one maintenance fee. We have not converted to DC points yet and will hold out as long as inventory is available with Interval. I have had absolutely no trouble trading my unit for: Maui Ocean Club, Newport Coast Villas,
Aruba Surf Club, Aruba Ocean Club x3, St, Kitts, Oceanwatch Villas and others. I just traded my 2 Bedroom for Frenchman's Cove in St. Thomas next year that went through the first week available. I also have received some unbelievable deals on Getaways. I also own Wyndham timeshares that were much cheaper but not nearly as easy to use and quality is sub-Marriott. The one thing that I like that Wyndham does is bill MF's monthly and for those that comment that MF's are too high it makes it easier to vacation. Our family has been able to take vacations that we never would have.

Just wondering if you mind sharing where you own and what season? Thanks.

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really have no opinion re the merits of the new DC Program. My gripe with Marriott is their cavalier way they, in the past, managed and changed their program to their benefit and to the detriment of Owners. Hopefully things have changed.

George
Totally agree!

WyldSmurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Legends Edge
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Destination Points
I am happy most of the time with my Marriott weeks and destination club points; 2 weeks Legends Edge in FL (marriott resale), Aruba Surf Club and Destination club points bought from Marriott (all weeks enrolled). I think I have been able to use every way of trading to get the destinations I have wanted (week swap, points, Week plus points, II and even a tour). I have been able to take wonderful vacations with my wife, kids and extended family without worrying about quality of the resort and trying to bargain shop me to death. I know the hotel points are not as valuable but for short and long trips I have not had to pay double digit hotel fees daily and that works for me. I find with the many options it is becoming more difficult and time consuming to get the location and days I want but thankfully my job is flexible so it has worked out. With my FL weeks (I bought before the destinations club program) I do not think their point values offset the maintenance fees and I think many other owners might feel this way. I wish I could trade out the gold week for another location I would actually use that has a reasonable amount of points. I think I will go back to using more II trades and points to get stays beyond 7 days as I found that more point efficient when trading. I hope the maintenance fee growth can stay reasonable otherwise I might just drop the Florida weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.