TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

[2013] Good ski area TS values on the resale market?

Discussion in 'US - Western States Timesharing' started by feckman, Feb 15, 2013.

1. feckman

feckman TUG Member

So, my wife and I have just put in an offer on a week at the Westin Ka'anapali which will hopefully pass ROFR. The other thing we do (and will continue doing) regularly is head out west for a week of big-mountain skiing every year.

Our preferred location has been Breckenridge, CO, but we're very open to other Colorado and Utah resorts. In fact, Utah would probably be better since Southwest flies into SLC and so many of the resorts are so close (compared to Denver's proximity to the Colorado ski areas).

I would love to get opinions on what properties in these areas might offer a good value on the secondary market. We're looking for a 2BR in peak season.

We've seen the Marriott, Hilton and Grand Lodge at Peak 7 properties in Breck, but it looks like they're all pretty expensive on the resale market. The Marriott StreamSide in Vail seems to be fairly inexpensive to buy-in, but I've read many things on TUG that make me nervous about it.

Does anyone have suggestions about resorts we should look into?

Many thanks in advance!

2. PigsDad

PigsDad TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
    You should also consider Grand Timber Lodge, the sister property to Grand Lodge on Peak 7 in Breckenridge. It is a little bit older, but they have been very good about keeping it up to date. It is a ski-in, ski-out (via trails), and since it is a bit older, is more reasonable resale. The MFs are much more reasonable than the other name-brands, which makes it even more of a bargain.

If I were to buy a dedicated ski week, this property would be top on my list.

Kurt

3. DazedandConfused

DazedandConfused Guest

Westgate Park City is very nice
    Marriott Mountainside and Summitwatch in Park City are great
    Park Plaza inPark City is the cheapest

4. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

If you are looking for a clean, spacious 2 bedroom, 2 bath to act as your home base for skiiing Keyston and/or Breckenridge costing less than $1,000, I'd recommend one that we used to trade into all the time, Val Chatelle III in Frisco. A plus is that Frisco has a neat downtown right around the corner from Val Chatelle III.

Another is the one we now own, Orofino at Straight Creek in Dillon where the MF this year was all of $415. It is an easy drive to both Keystone and/or Breckenridge from both. Nothing fancy about either, but if keeping costs down is important, I think you would be well satisfied with one of these.

George

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  5. T_R_Oglodyte

T_R_Oglodyte TUG Lifetime Member

You can probably pick up a Raintree Vacation Club ownership for less than $2000 that will get you into Park City, Telluride, or Whistler.

6. Robert D

Robert D Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I think Vail and Beaver Creek are among the best and like Lakeside Terrace, which is part of the Starwood chain, for the quality of the resort, maintenance fee ($1,070 for a large 2BR), and resale cost. Regarding Marriott Streamside, the only two viable buildings are Douglas and Evergreen as Birch MF's are ridiculously high and quality not as good. The maintenance fees are higher than LT (about $1,450 for Evergreen 2BR, 2baths and $1,340 for Douglas 1BR, 2Baths). Sheraton Mountain Vista is also very nice and equivalent quality to Lakeside Terrace but the maintenance fee is higher. Eagle Point in Vail and Falcon Point in Avon are nice independent resorts with reasonable MF's but I think they are a notch down from Lakeside Terrace and Sheraton Mountain Vista.

7. Deb from NC

Deb from NC TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Another vote for Grand Timber Lodge in Breck...we were there a couple of weeks ago and thought it was great.

8. feckman

feckman TUG Member

Thanks for all the input! Many of these resorts look great, but I remember seeing Grand Timber Lodge in passing and we were impressed. I like that it's right in Breck, ski-in/ski-out and the MFs look very reasonable. It also looks like they don't have ROFR which is fantastic.

I'm definitely going to keep my eyes peeled here and on RedWeek and eBay for a 2BR resale. Anyone have thoughts on what a fair offer price would be on a 2BR winter annual?

Many thanks again. Looks like we've been bitten hard by the TS bug... :)

9. DazedandConfused

DazedandConfused Guest

Be careful as their reservation system is strange....I think it is some rotation so you may not always get the week you want or need

a rigorously tested computer program will determine what week you will get
    by using an algorithm that is not based on a “first come, first served” system but rather a formula that will match as many owners to one of their top 5 choices as possible with the available inventory.

http://www.grandtimber.com/pdf/BGVAnnualRezSystemFAQ.pdf

10. feckman

feckman TUG Member

Wow, that is really strange... Anyone have experience with this system or one like it?

We're also considering the Valdoro Mountain Lodge. Opinions?

Thanks again!

11. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

I used to own a MROP Week that rotated between Red, Blue and White (or whatever the colors were) so that one year you got Red, one year Blue, etc. They also had set one Week each year when everyone who wanted to participate would send in their exchange requests which were allocated by some mysterious formula. Actually it worked pretty good.

George

12. Deb from NC

There's a 2 bedroom/ 2bath EOY for sale at Grand Timber Lodge on eBay right now...ad says it floats from week 1-15 & 48-50. Current bid is $999....might be worth checking out !
    Deb

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  13. feckman

feckman TUG Member

Definitely, thanks! We're really hoping for annual, but if the price is right... :)

Does anyone know how the EOY works when the season spans years? In other words, when the weeks are 48-50 and 1-15, which year do you actually get the unit?

Thanks again.

14. Deb from NC

Good question, I don't know that. You might try callling Grand Timber Lodge directly..all of the staff there was very friendly and accomodating..and not pushy about sales, which was a pleasant change from our usual Wyndham vacations!
    Deb

15. Justin

Justin TUG Member

16. DazedandConfused

DazedandConfused Guest

17. x3 skier

x3 skier TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Stayed at the Park Plaza in Park City a couple of week's ago and the remodeled units were very nice. Just wrote a TUG review. I used an exchange from the Raintree System.

Cheers

18. K2Quick

K2Quick TUG Member

19. feckman

feckman TUG Member

I gave them a call and, although the woman I spoke to was less than thrilled to be talking to a non-owner, she confirmed that the usage is per *calendar year* NOT per season. In other words, you get access to weeks 1 - 15 or 48 - 50 in the same calendar year.

Seems weird to me, but I guess it shouldn't really matter since you can only use one week per year anyway.

20. feckman

feckman TUG Member

21. Robert D

Robert D Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Lakeside Terrace in Vail Valley

I think for the money, Lakeside Terrace in the Vail Valley (in Avon, CO) is hard to beat. It's Starwood quality (Sheraton, Westin), 1,400 sq. ft. 2BR/2Bath, sleeps 8, and is very nice. Guests get free use of the Avon Recreation Center across the street which has 40,000 sq. ft. of pools, slides, hot tubs, sauna, and exercise equipment. It's at the base of Beaver Creek, 9 miles west of Vail. MF's are $1,075 which is pretty reasonable for a nice resort in the Vail Valley.

22. DazedandConfused

DazedandConfused Guest

That is dirt cheap as those rooms rent for over $800 per night to non-owners.

This is a ski week and those are premium priced as there are only 16 weeks out of 52 weeks that are desirable.

23. feckman

feckman TUG Member

Sorry, what I meant is that it's too high for us. If $12,500 is dirt cheap, the seller shouldn't have any trouble unloading it.

What we're looking for is a good value. The more we look, that seems to mean finding a motivated seller at a place without ROFR. Slopeside (or as close to that as possible) is ideal. This has shifted our focus to the Grand Timber Lodge and Valdoro Mountain Lodge in Breck. We were able to pick up a very inexpensive EOY unit at Lakeside Terrace on eBay last week (thanks to Robert D for the suggestion!), so we have the luxury of waiting to find just the right deal on a GTL or Valdoro annual.

Anyway, thanks again to all for all the suggestions, and please feel free to make more if there are other places we missed and should consider!

24. hipslo

hipslo TUG Member

Actually, that sounds pretty close to market value for platinum weeks at summit watch these days.

25. hipslo

hipslo TUG Member

$800 per night is marriott's pricing. With some patience, those units can be rented from an owner for much less than that - around $2500 per week. (which still results in a 10% plus annual return to the owner on the purchase price, after maintenance fees).