• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2013 + 2014 ] Carribbean Trip Log

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Initial thoughts on Lagunamar compared to Surf Club, is that there really is no comparison. There are about the same number of units, about 450 I think. However, Lagunamar is on a much larger footprint with a much larger ocean frontage. There are 14 buildings here none higher than 7 stories. I think Surf Club has 13 or 14 floors. Three huge pools, one that has the infinity feature. There look to be a few huts (palapas) on the beach, but nothing like in Aruba, there are really very few chairs on the beach by comparison. I think most people hang out in the pools since the water in the sea is much more wild than the very calm waters of Aruba.

We still haven't really checked much or the resort given we are on our first full day, so I will most more thoughts once I have a better feel for the resort.

Although there were very few Palapas at Lagunamar we always were able to get one. I thought it would be a real problem because of scarcity of Plapas and the fact that my wife had 3 broken toes and I had to use a wheelchair to get her down to the beach so we needed a back row Palapa. For those who need wheelchair access they had ramps all over the place at Lagunamar going down to pool area and all the way down to beach.

Surf and Ocean Club has early morning lines to get Plapa's and when we were there I found out the latest to get a Palapa on most days was about 8 AM and on check out days I could get it at as late as 9:30-10.

One more thing although I love the beaches in Aruba the beach at Lagunamar
In November 2012 was much better than the beaches at the Marriotts in Aruba for March 2013. There were tons of rocks, pebbles and shells at The Aruba location making it very difficult getting in and out of the water with waves knocking me down several times and scraping my legs on the rocks. There was also lots of seaweed there during our week to the point were we went to Playa Linda's beach on two ( we also own at Playa Linda so were able to get day passes for towels and chairs on the beach) days where there were very few rocks and much less seaweed. Not sure if it is like this at Marriott Aruba all year or if it was just the week we were there.:crash::shrug:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Day 14: We had an 8:30am appointment for our timeshare presentation at the Lagunamar. This was our first experience with a timeshare presentation outside the Marriott system. The presentation was very low pressure, so low in fact that we walked out not even knowing how much it cost to buy a week here or what the first day incentives were. I didn't want to show much interest and was really only interested in knowing how the system worked. I had a little knowledge of the Starwood system from reading here on TUG, but other than that really didn't know much about it. Though I didn't really learn that much more. Though I wasn't sure how the seasons were setup and how the points worked. It does seem like a much simpler point structure than Marriott's current system. We were out in our promised 90 minutes with our $100 voucher.

The rest of the day was uneventful, sat on the beach for a while and then moved to the pool. Burned the back of my knees some, guess I missed there with the sunscreen.

DW wanted dinner at Johnny Rockets at La Isla. We never go unless we are on vacation. The burger was horrible, but the only saving grace was the milkshakes, they were great!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Day 15: Today was our day to visit Tulum. We had visited before on a cruise excursion but didn't get to see the whole site and wished we had a little more freedom to explore.

Our day started out with us up at 6:00am. We wanted to be sure that we caught the 8:15 ADO bus out of Cancun to the Tulum Archeological Site. We were out of our room at about 6:50am and caught an R-1 bus in the Hotel Zone. We got to the ADO bus station and bought our tickets. If doing this trip, it is important to buy your tickets to the archeological site. You can also buy tickets to the city of Tulum, but would then need to take a taxi back to the site of the ruins.

With tickets in hand we sat and waited for our bus. Now with very litlte knowledge of spanish, it wasn't easy knowing when they began loading for Tulum. Shoot, I think even with good understanding it would be hard. There were some announcements, but they weren't easy to hear. There was no board that indicated which destinations were loading at any given time. We just lined up when a whole bunch of other people did a few minutes before out departure time and it worked. The driver checks your ticket thoroughly, so it would be difficult to get on the wrong bus.

Along the way, our bus stopped at Xplore and Xcaret. So if you were looking to go to either of these parks and wanted to do it on your own for less than some of the excursions, you could use the ADO bus to get there. It appears that most people get off at these two stops as there were only eight of us left on the bus after Xcaret.

I will point out that this trip isn't without its perils. About five minutes after leaving Xcaret our bus blew a tire. So there we were stuck on the side of the road. For this I wouldn't suggest ever doing this if on a cruise excursion. Stick to a guided tour through the ship. Though we knew there was another bus about one hour behind us (they had an 8:15, 9:15 and 10:15 departure) we didn't know if there was room. Though the driver did say in spanish, which a kind gentleman translated for us, that another bus would be along in about 50 minutes. When the other bus arrived, we switched busses and were on our way again. That bus stopped at Xel-Ha (our bus might have too, don't know for sure). We made it to the archeological site about an hour behind schedule.

The bus drops you off at the site in a place we didn't recognize, so it took us a few minutes to get our bearings. We found our way to the parking lot and market area and then we were good to go. We bought a wristband for the tram that will take you back to the site from the parking area, you can walk but we opted not to. Admission paid we were then in to the site in a few minutes. We explored for about an hour, DW took a lot of photos, and then we started to walk toward the exit when it started to rain. We stopped in one of the tunnels that was also an exit and waited for a few minutes until the rain subsided. We did bring an umbrella with us, but only had one. When the rain slacked off we headed for the back entrance to the site and caught a taxi. It was pauring rain when we got to the taxis and glad we didn't have to wait for one like we had read might happen.

We had read about Ziggy Beach Club in the Map Chicks Riviera Maya map and decided to check it out. The Tulum coast is made up of lots of small beach clubs, cabanas and hotels. Rustic and small, no big hotel chains here. Most places will allow the use of loungers with cunsumption. The taxi ride was a little longer than I had expected, but we got there in about 10 minutes or so.

When we arrived we asked for a seat at their restaurant. they have some chairs on the beach, some others in the sand up away from the beack and some others in a thached hut. We opted for the ones in the sand not on the beach. I ordered three tacos (fish and shrimp). DW who is not as adventurous with food ordered a cheeseburger. The food here was truly great. The tacos were fresh and deliscous, and DW said her hamburger was great also. Tacos were priced anywhere from 25-35 peso each and I think DWs burger was 180 peso. Sodas were 20 peso.

After eating we headed to the beach and found a lounge bed. I walked along the beach some and then layed on the lounge bed. A large matress that was rather comfy. Thhough it was breezy and any time I would lay down sand from my feet would blow up in to my face.

After a while sitting up on the beach I quietly asked DW if this was perhaps a sopless beach, she then proceeded to ask why and I explained. three couple strolling along with the women not wearing tops. She hadn't read anywhere about this. Oh well, it isn't like it isn't anything I haven't seen before. Though they did proceed to eat lunch on the beach at Ziggy's also.

After a while it was time to head out. We had bought our return tickets from Tulum City because we knew we were going to Ziggy Beach Club. So we found a taxi out front and were on our way. We got to Tulum with a few minutes to spare and walked through a few of the shops there. Our departure was at 4:10pm and we were on our way. We made it back to Cancun by about 6:45pm and were back to our hotel shortly after 7:00pm.

We opted to stop and get a to go order for dinner from Duna Sports Bar which is an onsite restaurant at the Westin Lagunamar. We were exhausted and didn't want to leave the room again and wanted to get back there as soon as possible to take a shower and rest.

Overall, there is something to be said for booking an excursion, they pick you up at the hotel door and take you back. You have an english speaking guide if necessary and everything is arranged, no confusion. Still exhausting though. For a family, a guided excursion to any of the Mayan sites is recommended, though if you are a little adventurous and don't mind putting in the extra work, it was a lot of fun going out on our own.

Today: Pool again. Perhaps make it to the Hard Rock Hotel and the Cafe to buy some pins.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Here is a cost breakdown of our trip for two people to Tulum if anyone is interested, I don't think I would do this trip again from Cancun, but probably would if staying in Playa del Carmen.

Bus from Hotel Zone: 17 peso
ADO roundtrip: 448 peso
Tram at Tulum (optional): 40 peso
Tulum Admission: 114 peso (57 pp)
Taxi to Ziggy Beach Club: 80 peso
Taxi to Tulum Bus Station: 60 peso
Bus to Hotel Zone: 17 peso
Total: 776 peso

Based on the exchange rate I got when I pulled pesos out of the ATM here, it works out to ~$63USD. Not bad and cheaper than an excursion from the hotel would be. Though we wouldn't have had the same experience with an excursion.

For us, lunch at Ziggy Beach Club was 490 peso with beverages (Coke). Though their beer is priced pretty well. You can make this visit as cheap or expensive as you desire.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Some Day 15 Photos

Tulum
2b8a4254-c280-4553-a7c4-8fc7f48c4165.jpg

8fe55723-e926-45b3-9888-8eaf849c951f.jpg

Tacos
64105edf-28e4-4fbe-a92c-ca86e44555ed.jpg

Beach at Ziggy Beach Club
2b66039a-2f0e-4cf2-bd8e-d9d7138c377d.jpg

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Day 16: This was a rather easy day, just lounging by the pool. We had planned to go to the Hard Rock Hotel and the Cafe to buy some Hard Rock pins, but we didn't make it. A mistake that will prove costly the next day.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Need to finish out the last two days

It has been a hectic week since getting back, sorry for the delay in finishing this off.

Day 17: We needed to pack as we were leaving the next morning at 4:15am to head to the Cancun airport. So we packed up most of our stuff in the morning and headed to the pool. We had some guacamole and chips at the pool, this stuff is great. We were only able to spend about an hour there before the rains came. And the rains sure did come. It poured rain, thunderstorms and all.

This is why not going to the Hard Rock Hotel the day before was a mistake. We decided to try to make it to the hotel since we have previously been to the cafe. We also wanted to go to Cambalache for dinner which is in the same mall as the Hard Rock Cafe. So we set out on our mission. We had some emergency ponchos that we donned and a couple of umbrellas. It wasn't easy but we made it to the bus stop and boarded a bus. We arrived at the hotel and hopped off the bus. Now getting across the street was the challenge. The water was probably 18" deep. Good thing we opted to wear pool flip flops instead of running shoes. Stepping off the curb brought water almost to the knee.

We made it across the street and started to head up to the hotel. Of course it was pouring rain with us in our ponchos and umbrellas. We then had a gate guard chasing us. We couldn't hear or understand him with the rain and our limited Spanish and his lack of English. Apparently the Hard Rock Hotel Cancun is an all inclusive resort, so you can't just walk on to the property. They want a licence and to give you some silly lanyard. It wasn't like we were really going to venture out in the pouring rain to get a few free drinks at the HRH. I finally managed to figure out what the gate guards wanted. My wife had continued walking and here I was at the front gate with my wallet but she somehow had my license in her purse. So the gate guard had to follow me up to where she was to get my license out of her purse. So here we were standing in the rain with flimsy ponchos and lighting rods in our hands in the form of an umbrella with a thunderstorm going on in Cancun while my wife was digging for my license. She was able to find it and we were on our way, though our pants soaked and our hair no much better. The umbrella doesn't do much when it is raining as hard as it was.

Once inside we wandered around to find the Rock Shop to pick up some pins and a magnet. I will have to say that the customer service at the Rock Shop was less than stellar. Some girl standing there cutting an apron out of an old t-shirt or something that was pretty much useless. There was another girl, but she wasn't in much of a hurry but she was the one that ended up ringing us up. Once we had our purchases we made our way outside but instead opted to pay the 130 peso for a taxi back to the Lagunamar instead of try to take the bus. A very good decision.

We never made it to the cafe or Cambalache for dinner. Instead we headed up to the room and I opted to go down to Duna to get carry out again. Good thing I did because the place was a mad house. Getting a table would not be easy and it was very noisy. Though I had to wait a while for our order, it would have been better than trying to eat there. Back to the room to eat and get to bed for an early pickup at 4:15am the next morning.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Day 18
It was still pouring rain when we got up the next morning for our pickup. We called bell services to come help us with our bags. We discover as we are heading out to our room that all of the buildings at the Lagunamar are connected and hallways covered via the floor we were on. Any likely all the floors. We had always gone down to the first floor to leave and arrive. Knowing this would have made the prior day a little easier. We get down to the lobby and I realize I don't have my watch on and I don't really know where it is. It wasn't anything expensive or special, but I wanted to have it. So I decide to go back to the room to check. I get there and can't find it. It has to be in our bags somewhere, so I head back out of the room.

Navigating the hallway back from our building 14, to the checkin building 5, the power goes out. So there I am in a dark hallway with very little light. Though very quickly I hear the generators kick on and the lights come back on, thank god. I find my way to the elevator and decide to take my chances with it since I can see that it is moving between floors. I get on and thankfully it takes me to the lobby.

We then hop in our van and head to the airport. Many roads are still flooded and one of the main roads heading in to the airport is covered in water, but our driver goes for it anyway and thankfully doesn't stall out. So we made it to the airport and get checked in and head for the gate.

Johnny Rockets opens at 6:30 at the airport and we buy a couple of malts since we only had a couple granola bars back at the room. We then learn that due to the rain there is a problem with the jet-way and they have to move the plan to a different gate. So we head off to the next gate which isn't far away. We end up taking off about a half hour late for Houston.

We had scheduled a nine hour layover in Houston. When we got to immigration and customs the line wasn't too bad. Though it didn't help that they only had two agents for the section we were in, so the line move rather slow. One agent was probably processing people at 10 times the speed of the other one. Of course we ended up getting put in the slow guys line. Though when we made it up to be the next to go through, another agent opened up and we went to him. In all, immigration probably took about 45 minutes.

We picked up our rental car and head for the Hard Rock Cafe. Of course we fell for the toll road spiel and end up paying $10.50 for some pass that covers all tolls that we didn't need because we never went through a toll road. I think we somehow had our GPS set to avoid tolls. Oops. We make it to the Hard Rock Cafe and can't find any parking, but there is valet where it is at. So we fork over $9 for valet. They literally back our car up 25 feet and park it along the curb. We then head in to the Hard Rock to buy pins and magnet and use the restrooms. Back out to tip the valet $1 to pull our car ahead 25 feet. We really could have done that ourselves, we were literally standing beside the car.

We were then on our way. DW wanted to go to Rocky and Maggies, a pet shop owned by the Little Couple that airs on TLC. Traffic on a Sunday at about 11:00am wasn't too bad in Houston, but parking was at a premium at this place, apparently there is a rather popular restaurant near by, but one lap around the block and a spot opens up right in front. So in we go. Buy a couple things and then head out on our way. Wanting to find some BBQ, DW had learned about Harlon's BBD from watching Anderson Cooper Live. So we have the place in our GPS, only when we get there, there is no Harlon's BBQ. I look up another location and we head there, no Harlon's BBQ. Third time is a charm right? Nope, this place doesn't exist. We have been punked. So we opt to return to the airport a little early.

We get to the aiport, get through security and wouldn't you know it. There is a Harlon's BBQ. We opt to eat there, really not that great.

Instead of heading to our gate, DW had some passes for the United Lounge from having the Chase United Explorer Credit Card, so we opt to hit the lounge. So happy we did. It was rather relaxing and we struck up some interesting conversations while waiting the near 4 hours for our flight.

When we leave we head for our gate. I think B85. If you have been to the Huston Airport and fly out of this gate, you realize that it is really something like 20 gates, A through Q. Leaving out of five or six doors. You also have to walk like a zillion miles to get to it, we were thinning we should have just walked home. Also, the place is a mad house, not an empty seat in the house. So happy we opted for the United lounge. We only had to stand about 15 minutes before our flight started boarding without any real warning and definitely not by zone. They then opt to just tag our rollaboards to gate check, which is fine if we had warning. So we stop just outside the door to pull the camera and other breakables out.

Our flight makes it out and we land pretty much on time in Columbus. Off to the car for the return trip home, hitting a Taco Bell along the way (no comparison to Aruba) and we walk in the door at about 1:00am. So we were up from 3:15am to 1:30am. Up for work at 6:00am that day. Yay.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Summary

In all, even given the last day glitches, we had a fantastic trip that took up through four countries (including USA) and seven modes of transportation; airplane, taxi, bus, rental car, boat/ferry, golf cart, tram (Tulum).

Would we do it again, probably would. The flight from Aruba to Cancun was easy. Though we probably wouldn't do the overnight layover in Panama and would just opt for the same day layover. With the flight only costing 10,000 United miles it is rather cheap, compared to the $500+ it would have cost us had we paid cash.

We liked Cancun a lot more this time and could see ourselves coming back regularly. The Lagunamar is in a great location and very easy to get to all the shops and restaurants at La Isla across the street. I think though next time we will try to get the Aruba Ocean Club instead of the Surf Club, just for the different experience.

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the wonderful trip report. It brought back so many memories. Esp in Cancun with all the rain!!! One trip a hurricane was headed in and it poured for 3 straight days. Yuck. Shaggy

npey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great log! Details on trip to Tulum was very informative.
Thanks!

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
Thoroughly enjoyed your trip log. Thanks for sharing your travel experience.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Caribbean Trip Log II

Day 1: We just started out on round two. 2014 has us going to Curacao and Cancun back to back.

We stayed the night in Columbus before our trip from CMH to CUR via MIA. Pretty uneventful day. Got our luggage at baggage claim, bought some items at the duty free shop in the Curacao airport and headed through Customs without issue.

We picked up the rental car at Alamo. The only thing to watch out for is a $1000 authorization on your credit card if you decline their CDW coverage. Even if covered my credit card coverage. This was noted on our online reservation, so we were aware. Another important note about the rental car is to make sure the air conditioning works. The first one they gave us was pretty weak. So we asked if we could get a different car. They didn't have any more available in our car class, but gave us a mid size SUV instead. Pretty good deal.

On our way with our GPS hooked up, it led the way directly to the Marriott Curacao. Checked in and got to our room. The room is nothing to brag about, but it is sufficient. The resort, what we saw of it so far, is great.

We had dinner last night at Seabreeze restaurant. It was okay, expensive as is to be expected for resort food. Probably won't go back since we have too much else to see.

Not sure yet what is on tap for today. Will provide the details of our days events later.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Day 2: We slept in to catch up on some sleep from our early day the day before. Well, DW slept in a lot longer than I did. We didn't get out of the room until close to 12:00pm. We were just going for a drive to check out some of the island and have some lunch. We headed out looking for lunch at Sol Food. A small spot that we didn't have any directions for nor was it in the GPS. I knew it was in Westpunt. So we headed that direction.

For anyone who has been to Aruba, by comparison, Curacao is much larger. It takes a lot longer to get anywhere. But it still isn't huge. It was though probably about a 45 minute drive at least to Westpunt from the Marriott. Not knowing where we were going, we didn't have the easiest time finding Sol Food, but when I realized we had gone too far on the main road and were heading south again, we turned around. Once we got off the main road, it wasn't too hard to find.

Lunch was excellent with a view of the bay. The restaurant is ver small and sits up on a cliff. I was surprised to see so many sea cliffs here in Curacao. We had a simple pizza for lunch, but it was very tasty and price was extremely reasonable. We then headed back south and stopped at some beaches along the way to find some snorkel spots for another day.

Then on the way back we hit a grocery store for some basic items. No kitchen, but wanted some snacks, water bottles and soda. Then it was back to the hotel where we hit the hot tub and pool.

Last night I had the worst dream. I was dreaming that our vacation was over and the next day was back to work. The whole vacation was a blur and it seemed like it went by so fast. I guess it does when you have only been on it two days so far :rofl:. Hopefully the next night brings better dreams:zzz:

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Day 3: We decided to take an easy day. Went snorkeling down in front of the hotel. Not much to see. We had read reviews where people said the snorkeling in front of the Marriott in Curacao was pretty good. But we sure missed it. Perhaps we weren't in the right place. There is another less protected area that we didn't snorkel through because the water is too rough. So we sure didn't see much. A small crab and a few fish.

We then lounged by the pool for the rest of the day. Not a lot going on, sat in the pool too.

For dinner we had decided to go to El Goucho. This was an adventure. With our map in hand and a GPS as a map only as El Goucho was not a POI in the GPS. We headed out. We started out pretty good but took a wrong turn about 500' too early. So we were lost a little, but did find where the US Consulate was. Also the view and photo op from where we were was pretty good looking down on the city of Willemstad. When we got back on to the main road and found our correct turn, put of luck only, we were on our way again. They don't mark the roads very well here. We had printed directions with street names but only saw one street sign with a street name on it. We kept thinking we had been driving too far on this one road when we finally saw a sign directing us to the restaurant. Thank god for that sign.

We ended up finding the restaurant and had a lovely dinner. The restaurant is located up on a hill that looks down over part of the city with the big industrial stacks off in the distance. The sun was setting behind those stacks.

Getting back to the hotel was much easier as it is in our GPS. So we just needed to tell the GPS we were headed to the Marriott and it led the way. That is perhaps one great thing about it. If we are ever lost, we can probably always use it to get back to the hotel Of course we were driving back for the first time in the dark, which was somewhat a harrowing experience. Willemstad is a very large city. Much more so than Oranjestad in Aruba.

Once back to the hotel, we opted to go to bed instead of hitting the casino. We will try that another day.

Photo of Willemstad from our wrong turn.
fc39e157-88c4-490d-b909-ed19a7f88711.jpg

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I recall reading here that the resort you are at is the BEST Marriott in the Caribbean….what do you think?

We stayed at Scrub Island and loved it http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/eisak-scrub-island-resort-spa-and-marina-autograph-collection/ .wondering how this compares?

I beleive that was Jimf41 in this thread that made that claim. It is a very nice resort. We have only been to two Caribbean Marriott's. Aruba and Curacao. Well we did go to the Marriott on Cable Beach (Crystal Palace Casino) when it was still a Marriott back in 1999. So our exposure is pretty limited. We have also been to the JW in Cancun. Though that isn't really the Caribbean.

Comparing the hotel in Curacao to Aruba, I think we still prefer the one in Aruba a little better. They really have very different fees. The beach at the Marriott in Aruba is much more usable. Food prices are pretty much the same. Expensive as to be expected. Though the hotel food does taste pretty good. But w didn't have any complaints about the hotel food at the Marriott in Aruba. The island while still dry and arid, it much different than Aruba. Curacao isn't as centered around tourism. Much more industrial and busier. More traffic and the city of Willemstad is very large contained to Oranjestad. Supposed to have some great snorkeling, which we will try to get to tomorrow.

As for being the best Marriott in the Caribbean. We will see, we still haven't seen them all yet. :D

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Day 4: We decided to go shopping in Punda which is the main shopping district in downtown Willemstad. We got a downtown map of Willemstad from the front desk and headed out. We parked at the Renaissance hotel which has great free covered parking.

Unfortuatly where we were parked was on the opposite side of the channel from Punda, but they have a great floating foot bridge that they open and close for boat traffic. So we only had to wait a fe minutes for it to reopen before we could head over. Once we got over there, it reminded us of many Caribbean port towns we see on cruises. Though the architecture is very interesting. It is a maze of streets and alleys, so getting lost would be easy, but with a map, you can easily find your way.

We did some shopping, it is mostly jewelry, electronic stores, and touristy stuff. As you would expect in this kind of place. We bought a few things and had lunch (at McDonalds :banana:) and then headed back to the hotel to hang out at the pool. DW wasn't feeling well, so I hung out at the pool while she took a nap back in the room.

Today we are going to try to go out and see the sights. Perhaps go to where they make Blue Curacao for some samples :ignore:.

Pens_Fan

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Make sure to walk across the floating bridge in Willemstad.

It's especially fun if they detach the one end to let a ship through while you are on the bridge.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Make sure to walk across the floating bridge in Willemstad.

It's especially fun if they detach the one end to let a ship through while you are on the bridge.

We did walk across. Though we didn't experience being on the bridge while they were opening it for vessel traffic. It seems like that would be a long wait. Sure hope one wouldn't need a potty break if that happened.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Day 5: This was a day of some more sight seeing. We headed out to find the gallery of Nena Sanchez in Jan Kok. Along the way we found the Flamingo Area. There were some pink flamingos, though they were quite a distance away from the viewing platform. Not much further beyond the flamingo area on the same road was the gallery. We stopped in to check it out and picked up some reproduction items (prints, postcards, etc) and were on our way.

Our next stop was Porto Marie. A beach area in the vicinity. This was a lovely stop. Though we didn't have swim suits with us so it was just a photo stop for us.

Back to the main road we headed for the Jewish Cemetery. It was certainly not what we were expecting. It is located directly beside the oil refinery. A rather drab and depressing place. And very smelly from the refinery. Though it was very interesting and enlightening in its own right.

We then located Landhuis Chobolobo where they make the famous Curacao Liqueur. If it weren't for our GPS we would not have found it. We were actually already past it when I decided to try to map it in the GPS. It took us directly to it. The distillery was interesting, a quick self guided tour through a small building explaining the history and process of distilling the liqueur.

We then went to lunch at a local Pizzaria called El Forno. Who would have thought of having Blue Cheese on a pizza, but I was pleasantly surprised.

It was back to the hotel to spend the rest of the day by the pool.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Day 6: Today we were headed out to go snorkeling. We had read about how great the snorkeling was in Curacao and we were disappointed. We headed toward Northpunt and Klein Knip. The water is smooth and just the right depth. Snorkeling out on the left side of the bay near the sea cliffs was spectacular. Lot of sea life, elk horn coral and some sea fans. We snorkeled for about 30-45 minuted and headed back in.

We then drove south a little bit to Jeremi. Another cove beach. We didn't snorkel but went down to the beach and hung out for a little bit. Overall we had a good time.

Headed back to the resort to sit by the pool late in the afternoon. More of that today.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
There is very good snorkeling in Westpunt in front of the Kura Hulanda lodge. There is parking and a stairway down to the beach called Alice in wonderland. The dive shop has a dock you can walk out on and jump in the water. There is a buoy and long reef running in front of the resort. We usually stay at Kura Hulanda but have stayed at the Marriott several times after getting bumped off the return flight to miami. The marriott is ok but the beach is much nicer and good diving at kura hulanda.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Day 7: We spent the morning before heading out to the pool packing. Our trip to Curacao is nearning an end :(. We then spent the afternoon lounging at or in the pool. Then had dinner at Portofino, an italian restaurant at the Marriott hotel. It was okay, fairly inexpensive as resort food goes.

We then went in the evening to the casino for the first time. We each dropped $5 in the penny slots. I walked out with $0, but DW came out with $25. Though she did put in $6 total. So at the end of it, we were up $15. We sure are high rollers. :rofl:.

Today: We are off to Cancun. We fly out at 1:15pm and have a 4.5 hour layover in Panama, then on to Cancun. We won't get in until very late. It will be a long and tiring day.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Day 8: Flying, flying and more flying. Our plane landed in Cancun early but it took FOREVER for them to delivery the luggage to baggage claim. We ended up getting to the Westin Lagunamar at 11:30. Unpacked and to bed by 1:30. A real long day.