• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2012] SCAM - Occidental Vacation Club

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The office is claiming our contract is still in full affect and that if we don't make a payment we will be going to collections. Someone in their office clearly credited us but not sure what's next

They are still trying to bully you. If you make the payment, your will void your rescission - stop contacting them.

OccidentalDUD

Reaction score
They are still trying to bully you. If you make the payment, your will void your rescission - stop contacting them.

We did make one payment already. But that is all we made. And that is before we ever got the recipt that they received our certified letter. Also we received our deposit back on the cc after that payment was made. We filed fraud charges on that first payment we made on the mortgage. I was speaking with Ignaura from OVC from here and she is the one now putting us in contact with Greta at the playa office where all this nonsense is going down. I just don't understand why I should stop contacting them. Our contract is still open. I don't want to wait for this to go to collections. And when it does then what am I supposed to do?

OccidentalDUD

Reaction score
So great news! We got our cancellation contract. After emailing the company and then cc the president of the company, he made it literally happen the next day. We are out and have all of our money back. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
So great news! We got our cancellation contract. After emailing the company and then cc the president of the company, he made it literally happen the next day. We are out and have all of our money back. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Congrats. Gotta give this company credit where credit is due. It might take some hassle to get it done, but even that won't help get a lot of contracts cancelled.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

O'DUD(e), you got lucky. Stay away from timeshare presentations- especially Mexican ones.

Jim

melissaj

Banned
Reaction score
Timeshare Scam

I bought a timeshare and it was one of the worst financial mistakes I ever made. I never intended to buy it, but I cannot suckered into going to a presentation to get free show tickets. The high-pressure sales person convinced me to sign on the dotted line, and I ended up with a timeshare. It was one of the hardest things to get rid of, and I lost about $20,000 in the process. It was an expensive lesson learned.

ezgoer101

Reaction score
I wish I would have found this site sooner. I was suckered into buying a package after given many alcoholic drinks including a bottle of cheap champagne. I received an upgraded room after I signed. What they don't tell you is when you accept the room you won't be able to cancel. They told me so much about what a great deal it is but leave out the most important part. The only people who contact me are the same sharks who sold it to me. They tell me there's no way out and offer a cheaper deal. I just want out of the contract and $5900 refunded. I sent an email to the address from the previous post. Hopefully that gets me somewhere. I'll keep ya posted.

ezgoer101

Reaction score
So far I received no email back. The presidents email address is no longer valid.....Anybody have any other options?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

Nursed46

Reaction score
My husband and I also were scammed by Occidental Vacation Club and tried calling Greta at Playa del Carmen to get this membership cancelled. We left several messages and never received a call back and have also emailed Greta and finally received an email back. We have told her we want our membership cancelled immediately since what they told us was not true and honest. I wish I would have done my homework before we bought this and feel really stupid for falling for this con. I am hoping that the OVC that reads this site will help me close out my account because we have already closed the credit card and are disputing the charges. We are sending a letter to Profecto and will pray for the best. I have seen some good comments but most of the comments have been very negative. If you have any suggestions I welcome any and all. Please help!!I don't want to have to email 20 people back and forth or hire a lawyer to fight this because I am not going to pay them any money. :wall:

Nursed46

Reaction score
Help me cancel my contract if what you are saying is true Mr. Luis Namnum

If this is true Mr. Luis Namnum then my contract needs to be canceled immediately since we were lied to and the salesmen were dishonest.

A letter from Mr. Luis Namnum, President of Occidental

My name is Luis Namnum, I’m the president of the Occidental Vacation Club. I have read with dismay some of the comments made on the TUG site. What some of you describe is not the company I run. I would like the opportunity to answer and/or solve some of the issues.

1. Cancellation Within Five Days- Is healthy for both the buyer and the seller to allow for a reasonable cooling off period. Mexican law calls for 5 days. We are obliged not only to accept your cancellation but to refund as fast as possible (minus significant gifts we gave the buyer as a gift for buying). Is really bad business to keep a member that is not happy with the purchase for whatever reason.

We will make some changes in the procedure to include an e-mail address directly to my headquarters so that my corporate team can handle the cancellation request in addition to the sales site.

Furthermore, If any of the writers in this blog have this sort of issue, please send me a note (you have my e-mail address in the welcome kit) with a copy of the letter or anything else you tried to send cancelling within the five days, and will take care of it. I really don’t care how much time has passed.

2. Lies from the sales staff: Our policy is that if, at any time after purchase, we find that the sale was made under false pretenses, we cancel at the owners request with full refund. Ours is a good product, we don’t and should not need to lie to sell it.

We have in place mechanisms to cover all possible things a sales person can say on the sales table both with documents, training and supervision; but, given 'the face to face' nature of the sale, we are not able to cover all things. Nor, unfortunately, can we cover what the customer understood was being said.

The fact of the matter is that within a very short period of time whatever my staff promised is going to have to be delivered. If we cannot then the right and only thing to do is to refund and get rid of the staff member.

Our success depends on delivering on the product sold. We own most of the hotels, we are not going anywhere.

I urge any of the writers in this blog that felt that lies were used to sell you the membership, get in contact with me and lets solve this.

3. How to Get Out: We do not have a policy for this. We expect that members are going to honor the financial commitment they made in the promissory note. It is sometimes hard to explain that after the sale is processed the company has to incur in 100% of the cost related to the sale, costs that are much higher than the downpayment income. Like many other companies, we incur in these expenses based on the promise made by the customer to pay their bills.

But we also understand that things change and that what was affordable yesterday may not be today. Contact us with your individual case and we will work something out.

4. Lowest Rate Guarantee: Our members MUST pay a lower All Inclusive rate than anybody else using our hotels. Not only do we guarantee this, but our Rate Pledge states that if at any time a member finds a published rate lower than the one the booked with or used, we will not only match such a rate but will add on a 15% discount.

I probably have not answered all of the comments or have missed something, please write to me if I did and I will face it, take care of it or give you your money back.

Buying my product should not be a source of tension or unhappiness, and most important it should not make anyone feel that there is no recourse. Our club be a source of good stuff. If it's not, allow us to fix it, if we can’t, then it is fair to end the relationship with as few losses to each other as possible.

Luis Namnum
President
Occidental Vacation Club[/QUOTE]

OVC

Reaction score
Hello, please email us at concierge@occidentalvacationclub.com. Don't forget to include your contract number and the dates/resort where you bought your membership, so that we are able to locate your account and take a look at your situation.

Regards,

IT

If this is true Mr. Luis Namnum then my contract needs to be canceled immediately since we were lied to and the salesmen were dishonest.

A letter from Mr. Luis Namnum, President of Occidental

My name is Luis Namnum, I’m the president of the Occidental Vacation Club. I have read with dismay some of the comments made on the TUG site. What some of you describe is not the company I run. I would like the opportunity to answer and/or solve some of the issues.

1. Cancellation Within Five Days- Is healthy for both the buyer and the seller to allow for a reasonable cooling off period. Mexican law calls for 5 days. We are obliged not only to accept your cancellation but to refund as fast as possible (minus significant gifts we gave the buyer as a gift for buying). Is really bad business to keep a member that is not happy with the purchase for whatever reason.

We will make some changes in the procedure to include an e-mail address directly to my headquarters so that my corporate team can handle the cancellation request in addition to the sales site.

Furthermore, If any of the writers in this blog have this sort of issue, please send me a note (you have my e-mail address in the welcome kit) with a copy of the letter or anything else you tried to send cancelling within the five days, and will take care of it. I really don’t care how much time has passed.

2. Lies from the sales staff: Our policy is that if, at any time after purchase, we find that the sale was made under false pretenses, we cancel at the owners request with full refund. Ours is a good product, we don’t and should not need to lie to sell it.

We have in place mechanisms to cover all possible things a sales person can say on the sales table both with documents, training and supervision; but, given 'the face to face' nature of the sale, we are not able to cover all things. Nor, unfortunately, can we cover what the customer understood was being said.

The fact of the matter is that within a very short period of time whatever my staff promised is going to have to be delivered. If we cannot then the right and only thing to do is to refund and get rid of the staff member.

Our success depends on delivering on the product sold. We own most of the hotels, we are not going anywhere.

I urge any of the writers in this blog that felt that lies were used to sell you the membership, get in contact with me and lets solve this.

3. How to Get Out: We do not have a policy for this. We expect that members are going to honor the financial commitment they made in the promissory note. It is sometimes hard to explain that after the sale is processed the company has to incur in 100% of the cost related to the sale, costs that are much higher than the downpayment income. Like many other companies, we incur in these expenses based on the promise made by the customer to pay their bills.

But we also understand that things change and that what was affordable yesterday may not be today. Contact us with your individual case and we will work something out.

4. Lowest Rate Guarantee: Our members MUST pay a lower All Inclusive rate than anybody else using our hotels. Not only do we guarantee this, but our Rate Pledge states that if at any time a member finds a published rate lower than the one the booked with or used, we will not only match such a rate but will add on a 15% discount.

I probably have not answered all of the comments or have missed something, please write to me if I did and I will face it, take care of it or give you your money back.

Buying my product should not be a source of tension or unhappiness, and most important it should not make anyone feel that there is no recourse. Our club be a source of good stuff. If it's not, allow us to fix it, if we can’t, then it is fair to end the relationship with as few losses to each other as possible.

Luis Namnum
President
Occidental Vacation Club
[/QUOTE]

Nursed46

Reaction score
Congrats. Gotta give this company credit where credit is due. It might take some hassle to get it done, but even that won't help get a lot of contracts cancelled.

How did you make it happen and do you have the Presidents email address? I have got to get out of my contract.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
How did you make it happen and do you have the Presidents email address? I have got to get out of my contract.
See post #138 above:
Hello, please email us at concierge@occidentalvacationclub.com. Don't forget to include your contract number and the dates/resort where you bought your membership, so that we are able to locate your account and take a look at your situation.

Nursed46

Reaction score
OVC

I did contact that email and they told me they really couldn't help me so I have contacted Greta Sachez at OVC. I am working to get this solved.

Ljayae

Reaction score
Started my Cancel process within my 5 days

These posts have given me hope. I got suckered in, came home and started reading my options. I've sent my certified letters 2 of them in fact. 1 to the address in the contract and 1 to the resort where I purchased. I also emailed a copy to the sales person, operations manager, customer service manager and copied Perfeco. Should I dispute with my card or just wait the 15 days out to see if they do the right thing? The Operations Manager is Jennifer Erosa Sonda.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Should I dispute with my card or just wait the 15 days out to see if they do the right thing? The Operations Manager is Jennifer Erosa Sonda.
I think I'd go ahead and notify the credit card people right away. Nothing to lose by trying and it would put them on notice that you've rescinded your contract.

Glad you found TUG in time to rescind. Let us know what happens.

Ljayae

Reaction score
I think I'd go ahead and notify the credit card people right away. Nothing to lose by trying and it would put them on notice that you've rescinded your contract.

Glad you found TUG in time to rescind. Let us know what happens.

Thanks. I have started that process. I did get a call from the salesman today as he got word from the email I sent yesterday that I wanted to cancel. He tried a few things to change my mind from lets price a vacation so I can show you what you will save, to waiving maintenance for more years. I stood my ground and said no. At the end he asked what else can I do. I said continue with my cancellation, provide confirmation of that, along with my refund. He advised they are going to work on it. So here's to hoping they will keep their word on that.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Glad they are working on your rescission. Stay strong!

Tuzo

Reaction score
Thanks. I have started that process. I did get a call from the salesman today as he got word from the email I sent yesterday that I wanted to cancel. He tried a few things to change my mind from lets price a vacation so I can show you what you will save, to waiving maintenance for more years. I stood my ground and said no. At the end he asked what else can I do. I said continue with my cancellation, provide confirmation of that, along with my refund. He advised they are going to work on it. So here's to hoping they will keep their word on that.

Hello, I bought a OCV in March 2017. Very good sales people, very good alcohol, very beautiful resort Xcaret. I put half down payment. Suffered buyers regret that evening. There is a 5 day cooling off period in the contract. Even if sales people tell you that you can not cancel, it is not true. I sent a registered letter within the 5 days that they had to sign for. This is extremely important to do - make them sign otherwise they could say they didn't receive. Shortly thereafter, their salesperson sent me an email saying I could not cancel but OCV would rewrite another contract for me. Then my lawyer sent a letter explaining Mexican law, that the contract says that I was to be refunded as per the contract. After that, OCV started the refund process and I received the full refund. Somewhat stressful. Very stressful at times - everytime I thought about how much money I stood to loose. A good lesson learned overall.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shortly thereafter, their salesperson sent me an email saying I could not cancel but OCV would rewrite another contract for me....

Which is why we TUGgers usually suggest to people (usually newbies) who come on these boards wondering about rescinding, to not:

1) Take any unknown phone calls as this could be the people at the resort telling you that you can't rescind, yadda, yadda, yadda.
2) Go to the sales office to try to rescind for the same reason as number 1. Besides, that's not the method stipulated in the contract anyway.
3) Call the resort because you are wondering if they received the letter or when your refund might come.

Good for you for rescinding in time using the proper method and not falling for that line they tried to feed you. :thumbup:

Tuzo

Reaction score
Hello all who wish to rescind their OVC contract, this is what worked for me (but I really suggest that you immediately go to your lawyer back home and have them do this for you!).
Read the contract carefully (as hard as that is because of the legal jargon DO IT!)- you have 5 Mexican business days to rescind, so that does not include Saturday or Sunday. You MUST do it in writing and look very carefully for the address the contract tells you to send the written and signed rescind. Do it by registered mail so they have to sign for it and you have a paper trail of when you sent and when they signed. There are websites, including this one, that tell you what to include in your rescind letter - all very formal language. I sent three letters: one from Mexico, regular mail but time-stamped, and two from Canada, one time stamped regular, the other registered mail, so I knew when they received it. All within the 5 rescind days (phew - bought Tuesday in Cozumel, Mexico and sent letters back in Canada on the following Monday). Then OCV contacted me, by phone and email, to tell me that I can not rescind and that I verbally waived my rights, but they did not use their official email to do this. It needs to be written down folks. Then I went to my lawyer. The lawyer's office sent a letter, registered mail, ''the representation was not confirmed in writing and the right of cancellation was not removed from the contract ...Please be advised that if a full refund is not received within 10 business days, we will retain local counsel to sue to recover the money." And I received the full refund minus the costs of the 'gifts'. Make sure that part is in your rescind letter too. OCV will follow the law; they have to, don't they. But so do us, the consumers. And I suspect that 'businesses' like OCV rely on consumers not doing their due diligence. I reiterate, the best thing to do is immediately go to your lawyer and have them deal with this. I hope this helps.

Tuzo

Reaction score
No secret that they and a whole lot of other Mexican TS outfits lie like rugs. Nothing they promise is in the contract. I feel certain that eventually you will get what they took from you, but it will be neither quick nor easy.

Best wishes and keep us informed as this progresses. We LOVE to hear success stories from people who rescind in time. Congratulations!

Jim Ricks
Hello all who wish to rescind their OVC contract, this is what worked for me (but I really suggest that you immediately go to your lawyer back home and have them do this for you!).
Read the contract carefully (as hard as that is because of the legal jargon DO IT!)- you have 5 Mexican business days to rescind, so that does not include Saturday or Sunday. You MUST do it in writing and look very carefully for the address the contract tells you to send the written and signed rescind. Do it by registered mail so they have to sign for it and you have a paper trail of when you sent and when they signed. There are websites, including this one, that tell you what to include in your rescind letter - all very formal language. I sent three letters: one from Mexico, regular mail but time-stamped, and two from Canada, one time stamped regular, the other registered mail, so I knew when they received it. All within the 5 rescind days (phew - bought Tuesday in Cozumel, Mexico and sent letters back in Canada on the following Monday). Then OCV contacted me, by phone and email, to tell me that I can not rescind and that I verbally waived my rights, but they did not use their official email to do this. It needs to be written down folks. Then I went to my lawyer. The lawyer's office sent a letter, registered mail, ''the representation was not confirmed in writing and the right of cancellation was not removed from the contract ...Please be advised that if a full refund is not received within 10 business days, we will retain local counsel to sue to recover the money." And I received the full refund minus the costs of the 'gifts'. Make sure that part is in your rescind letter too. OCV will follow the law; they have to, don't they. But so do us, the consumers. And I suspect that 'businesses' like OCV rely on consumers not doing their due diligence. I reiterate, the best thing to do is immediately go to your lawyer and have them deal with this. I hope this helps.