• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2012] SCAM - Occidental Vacation Club

OVC

Reaction score
Karen,

The letter is legitimate. Mr. Luis Namnum likes to personally take care of the members and that's one thing that sets us apart as a company.

His email is publicly available to all members and anyone who wish to contact him directly for any reason. We are very transparent in the way we handle our business.

Even though at times unfortunate things may happen, we are always open to work things out and encourage our members to reach us directly and give us a chance to prove our value and commitment to serve.

Kind regards,

Ignaura Tejeda Solimán
Social Media Coordinator and Community Manager

swatts

Reaction score
Yes, I have just written this "president" with a very lengthy letter. I have had so many problems, some similar, but I have written him first, to give him the chance to fix it. If I do not get a satisfactory response I will post my story as well.

Huntgas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Occidental Vacation Resort

Hi Everyone,
We purchased our first timeshare with these folks in 1994. It was a different product at that time. Started as the Diamond Resort, then Allegro Diamond Resort, Allegro Cozumel, and finally Occidental Allegro Cozumel (at least that is the way I recall). We bought fixed week units and fixed units because we wanted this resort every year as we were new divers and loved the "home atmosphere" we felt here. We have met people from all over which we meet at the resort each year and have become close friends. Also, there are staff at the resort that we have been friends with since the beginning. Our kids were 9,7 and 4 when we started this journey. They too have grown up here at our "beach home"and have made great friends also.
OK, enough of this.....We too have had some problems with promises and reservations not being honored when we arrived. You are right, they want to ignore you until you go away. Only problem was, we didn't go away. Finally, I learned the secret to getting exactly what we paid for and getting it at the right time.
Yes, it was Luis Namnum, the president of Occidental Vacation Club. Seems he is about the only original from the original Diamond resort. Also, he can sometimes be the only one who will stand up for the customer and do the right thing. Each and every time I have contacted him with a problem, ha has taken a personal interest and actually solved every one of my concerns. Now, I am not speaking for others, but I think if you will take him up on the offer and contact him, he will try. He may not be happy for me offering his services, but he did offer....
Danny (original Diamond-Allegro-Occidental owner)

OVC

Reaction score
Hello Danny,

Thank you for message. We at Occidental Vacation Club work very hard to always take care of the needs, concerns and requests for all our members. As you said, Mr. Luis Namnum is always there for our members. He personally answers every email members send him and is willing to solve any concern you may have.

If you need assistance or have any requests or concerns, you can email concierge@occidentalvacationclub.com. it's an official Customer Service email address. We will take care of whatever it is that you need for your vacations.

Hope to see you soon in Mexico!

Best regards,

Ignaura Tejeda Solimán
Community Manager for Occidental Vacation Club

Reaction score
Beware!

[You are welcome to repost without the profanity. -DeniseM Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
these folks are creative...they contacted google and claimed their privacy was being violated by having a picture of their handwritten signature posted.

note that image isnt even hosted on TUG, but on a private photobucket account.

ive of course asked the OP to black out the handwritten signature part to comply with googles request =)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
use the email posted above:

concierge@occidentalvacationclub.com

let us know the response, im sure everyone here would be interested in their excuse for not honoring the refund.

(also please add/edit your existings posts, vs making duplicates)

Last edited:

Villager91

Reaction score
Laura,

Sorry to hear that you got caught up in the Occidental Vacation Club scam too. They falsely promised that 30% discount off of airfare too when we were in the sales room. When I called the occidental reservation line ad RCI, both had no idea what I was talking about and said that there was no such discount.

I just hope that anyone who falls for this scam has time to send a cancellation notice within the 5 business day window of opportunity. That seems to be the only surefire way of getting your money back (and even then only because of the credit card companies, not because of Occidental Vacation Club actually following the law and their own contract). This Luis Namnum contact seems like another delay tactic to push people outside of the 5 day rescission period.

OVC

Reaction score
Dear Mrs. Downey,

We would like to address some of your concerns:

Our commitment as a company is to offer our members superior accommodations, facilities and service while not having to pay more for COMPARABLE accommodations. Our facilities are bigger, regularly remodeled and with better furniture and décor package than regular hotels rooms, usually sold through on line travel agents.

Additionally, our service levels are higher. In every affiliated property we have dedicated club staff that caters to ours member’s needs, members only lounge and specific areas that regular hotel guests can’t have access to. That makes our product very different.
We understand that any on-line players could best our price usually for very specific booking windows; we are not so sure they can compete with our level of accommodation’s and services. It is not part of our product offering to compete with these agencies.
Even so, tailored for those cases, we implemented and published our Discount Pledge (which you can find on our website). This pledge states that if you find a better rate than what you are trying to book or have booked, we will not only match that discounted rate, but grant a 15% discount on top of it. Obviously accommodations have to be comparable.

Our contracts are very clear regarding the cancelation period. After buying the membership, you have up to one week (depending on location) to cancel it and receive a full refund. Internally we usually allow up to 30 days.

In your particular case, for over 14 months after buying you showed having no issues with your purchase, including two positive feedback calls within the first 60 days. 14 months later you started communications with customer service and eventually Mr. Namnum indicating dissatisfaction, centered mostly on the price differential when compared to online travel agencies.

Although you refund requested was long overdue and that based on your written commitment (our contract) the company incurred in all the expenses associated with the sale including taxes, registration, fees and commissions, in an effort to solve the situation instead of sending your account to delinquent collections and the possible negative effect that may have on your credit history, we accepted your cancelation request and agreed on a refund amount

We mailed you a standard disclosure document which you declined to sign. We tried our best to make things happen, but you walked away promising to do your best to tarnish our reputation on line.

In regard to your constant statements that Mr. Namnum lied to you. What Mr. Namnum said regarding refund was that if you found, in one particular holiday you wished to book, a better price for a comparable holiday, he would refund you right there and then, both examples that you sent in did not meet that criteria.

We do our best to fix things; give a good service and find a middle ground, what we can't and won't accept is unreasonable blackmail. We have more than 24,000 happy families that speak on our behalf. We work day after day to serve them and provide them with exceptional vacation experiences.

We create ample channels for our members to communicate their issues, giving us an opportunity to fix them. We are believers of open communication; we strongly believe in our product and have nothing to hide.

Regards,

Ignaura Tejeda Solimán
Social Media Coordinator & Community Manager

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
refund

Three posts have been deleted at the request of the poster as a condition of getting her money refunded. Occidental required that her negative comments be removed before they gave her the refund, so I did that.

Nev

Reaction score
Ugh...I beside myself. Please don't feel sorry for me. I just can't believe I let myself get into this situation. I know...knew...better each time.

I think the letter I just emailed to lnamnum@do.occidentalhotels.com sums it up. Would be interested to know everyone's thoughts.

My name is ______, account #_____.

We've stayed twice at your resorts, first time Xcaret, second time Punta Cana.

On our first visit we signed up for the First Club. On our second visit we upgraded to Royal Club.

NEITHER time during the sale was it ever stated that we have to "pay" additional for all-inclusive service. We were NEVER told this. Ever.

I just tried to book a vacation using our week, and found out it's going to cost me an additional $1071. So on top of the $399 a month I'm paying, that will make this vacation cost me $5859 for this year!

EACH time the rate sheet we were show it was explicitly stated that those prices were for additional days outside our week should we want to visit a resort, which was a very important selling point for us. It was NEVER stated those prices are what we need to pay just to use our week. We were told once our loan was up, we would only have our yearly maintenance fee to pay. This is what we were told during BOTH SALES.

Is my new understanding correct, that I have to pay for the "all inclusive" access every time I use my week? That's unacceptable and NOT what we were told.

I'm screwed, right? So in addition to my monthly $ to pay off the loan, once it's over I'm still in for $$ AND the maintenance fee.

Thanks,
Nev

masonam1

Reaction score
Occidental Playa Del Carmen

We recently made the mistake of falling for this scam. Thankfully we found this forum in time and have sent cancellation letters within the five days. We are optimistic we will get our money back and now have realistic expectations for how hard it will be. We sent letters in Mexico and again once we were in the US. We were told many half-truths in the sales meeting and then upon further review of the contracts and online information found out they had lied to us. We felt very stupid afterwards.

We were given $250 in Occidental Money (to be used at the resorts) as part of the contract, different than the "gifts" for attending the presentation". I assume this will be removed from our returned funds. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with dealing with this situation? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

OVC

Reaction score
Ugh...I beside myself. Please don't feel sorry for me. I just can't believe I let myself get into this situation. I know...knew...better each time.

I think the letter I just emailed to lnamnum@do.occidentalhotels.com sums it up. Would be interested to know everyone's thoughts.

My name is ______, account #_____.

We've stayed twice at your resorts, first time Xcaret, second time Punta Cana.

On our first visit we signed up for the First Club. On our second visit we upgraded to Royal Club.

NEITHER time during the sale was it ever stated that we have to "pay" additional for all-inclusive service. We were NEVER told this. Ever.

I just tried to book a vacation using our week, and found out it's going to cost me an additional $1071. So on top of the $399 a month I'm paying, that will make this vacation cost me $5859 for this year!

EACH time the rate sheet we were show it was explicitly stated that those prices were for additional days outside our week should we want to visit a resort, which was a very important selling point for us. It was NEVER stated those prices are what we need to pay just to use our week. We were told once our loan was up, we would only have our yearly maintenance fee to pay. This is what we were told during BOTH SALES.

Is my new understanding correct, that I have to pay for the "all inclusive" access every time I use my week? That's unacceptable and NOT what we were told.

I'm screwed, right? So in addition to my monthly $ to pay off the loan, once it's over I'm still in for $$ AND the maintenance fee.

Thanks,
Nev

Hello, Nev;

I have read your comment and would like to reach directly. I have sent you a DM on this matter.

Best regards,

Ignaura Tejeda Solimán,

Community Manager

Reaction score
Scammed on our honeymoon

Unfortunately my husband and I fell victim to this scam too! I felt ify about the whole thing and when I told them I needed to talk it over with my husband In private Greta walked out and the sales staff barged in. We had be there since 10am ..it was already 5pm and I was dizzy from the drinks they offered. They had our I'd and credit card. I kept thinking we had gotten scammed so as soon as we touched down it Huston . I googled the occidental ... I was shocked how many people had been scammed. I feel stupid for not walking out of the office or wasting a whole day there. After all my honeymoon was only for 3 days. One which we wasted with this scam.

We are hardworking parents ... I really pray to God we can get back our refund $1,706.50 ... Yes they gave us 150 dollars but they took up our whole day :( which we will never get back. They wrote that they gave us taxi tickets but we didn't take them because we had rented a car.

I'm sure they will keep the 575 they claim they spent on a scuba trip they took us on... But anything beats ruining my credit with this scam.

If anyone reads this please stay away from this place...!!!

Signed8/6 can't wait to get to the post office tomorrow in l.a

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Signed8/6 can't wait to get to the post office tomorrow in l.a
Be sure to mail your letter of rescission with proof from the post office of the date you send it. It would be good to notify your credit card company as well and dispute the charge.

You shouldn't be charged for any of the gifts they enticed you with to come to the presentation.

It's great that you are within the rescission period according to Mexican law. You should be okay as long as you rescind in time.

Reaction score
Be sure to mail your letter of rescission with proof from the post office of the date you send it. It would be good to notify your credit card company as well and dispute the charge.

You shouldn't be charged for any of the gifts they enticed you with to come to the presentation.

It's great that you are within the rescission period according to Mexican law. You should be okay as long as you rescind in time.

Ty Karen .. I hope it all works out.. They made me sign a letter saying that the stuff we got was not a gift and that if I cancelled they would charge me 575.
I called citi mc while in Huston during the layover and told them to hold the charge. That i was disputing this scam.Tomorrow before I go to work ill mail the letter I emailed earlier today.
I will definitely request it to be certified ... Wondering if I should fedex one too ?

Scared straight --.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I will definitely request it to be certified ... Wondering if I should fedex one too ?

Scared straight --.
Fedex isn't necessary. Once you have proof from the post office that you mailed the letter today, that's all you need. If they do try to charge you for any gift they used to entice you to come to their presentation, dispute that, too. When the OPC (outside personal contact) people sign you up to go to a presentation, they offer all kinds of goodies or cash to get you to go listen to the sales pitch. When you show up, you have fulfilled your end of the bargain and you are entitled to whatever they promised you. When the OPC makes his offer, he doesn't say you'll get the gift if you buy what they are selling. He says you'll get it if you go to the presentation.

Is that how the gift was offered to you?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Technically, 'rescission' means to set the sale back to the condition it was in before the sale. Exactly as it was, as if nothing had happened. Profeco has ruled that 'gift offered for attending a timeshare presentation' are just that 'gifts' and the property of the recipient.

Now, that said, if you were offered the scuba trip valued for $575 on condition of buying the TS, that's something different. It boils down to when the offer of the scuba trip was made. If before the presentation as incentive to attend, it's yours and letter or not, they can't charge you. Collecting it may be another issue. If the scuba trip was offered as a discounted perk, and absorbed by the resort because you are 'new owners', you might have a harder time getting your full refund.

On the bright side, even if you have to pay the $575- and you get out of the TS purchase, you got a nice scuba trip and what you save by rescinding will easily pay for another 'make-up' honeymoon later.

Welcome to TUG. We're overjoyed you found us in time.

If you don't mind, tell us how much the weasels were going to charge you for their TS. We're keeping track of the verifiable savings that TUG has saved people. So far it's over a million dollars in the last few years. Can you help add to that amount?

Jim

Reaction score
Technically, 'rescission' means to set the sale back to the condition it was in before the sale. Exactly as it was, as if nothing had happened. Profeco has ruled that 'gift offered for attending a timeshare presentation' are just that 'gifts' and the property of the recipient.

Now, that said, if you were offered the scuba trip valued for $575 on condition of buying the TS, that's something different. It boils down to when the offer of the scuba trip was made. If before the presentation as incentive to attend, it's yours and letter or not, they can't charge you. Collecting it may be another issue. If the scuba trip was offered as a discounted perk, and absorbed by the resort because you are 'new owners', you might have a harder time getting your full refund.

On the bright side, even if you have to pay the $575- and you get out of the TS purchase, you got a nice scuba trip and what you save by rescinding will easily pay for another 'make-up' honeymoon later.

Welcome to TUG. We're overjoyed you found us in time.

If you don't mind, tell us how much the weasels were going to charge you for their TS. We're keeping track of the verifiable savings that TUG has saved people. So far it's over a million dollars in the last few years. Can you help add to that amount?

Jim

They offered to give me passes for a few trips which they did (18 dollars for tulum and two tickets for punta sur) but I had no time to use them. Because tulun closed at 7 and they didn't let use leave till 530. We were about 35 mins away ....
We were waiting for our fairy tickets back and my I'd and credit card. I told them that i was upset how much time they took away from my day especially since it was only going to be 90mins according to the guy at the airaport but they had us there from 10 am to 545pm.

They claim to feel bad because they new I was only there for 3 days and I wouldn't get to do the Tulum trip so the sales rep said they would take us on a Snorkeling trip (sorry not scuba) at the allegro . We agreed. But they maid us sign a sheet saying they would charge us back the continental money and even taxi fair .. But I explianted that I had a rented a car and didnt need it. I even picked up the sales rep from the Cozumel dock to go on the snorkeling trip at the allegro . It's such a joke I honestly feel stupid for not walking out.
My husband and I were fooled.

They pitched us a studio for 13k but after financing charges we were going to pay 16k and asked for 1755 cash as a deposit payments were going to be about 245 a month. It was for bi-annual benefits and they told us we would get 33% off the written all inclusive fee...but when we asked why it wasn't in writing in our contract they brushed us off . Carlos Sosa sales rep said he would take care of it personally but Greta couldn't included in the contract.

All I needed was a taxi to the melia to enjoy my honeymoon instead I ended up falling for a scam wasted one whole day out of three.
I'm glad I found this website. It's helped my husband and I so much .

Thank you all

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They offered to give me passes for a few trips which they did (18 dollars for tulum and two tickets for punta sur) but I had no time to use them. Because tulun closed at 7 and they didn't let use leave till 530. We were about 35 mins away ....
We were waiting for our fairy tickets back and my I'd and credit card. I told them that i was upset how much time they took away from my day especially since it was only going to be 90mins according to the guy at the airaport but they had us there from 10 am to 545pm.

They claim to feel bad because they new I was only there for 3 days and I wouldn't get to do the Tulum trip so the sales rep said they would take us on a Snorkeling trip (sorry not scuba) at the allegro . We agreed. But they maid us sign a sheet saying they would charge us back the continental money and even taxi fair .. But I explianted that I had a rented a car and didnt need it. I even picked up the sales rep from the Cozumel dock to go on the snorkeling trip at the allegro . It's such a joke I honestly feel stupid for not walking out.
My husband and I were fooled.
Once your credit card deposit is refunded since you rescinded the contract, if they try to charge you for that snorkel trip, I'd fight that. They did not live up to their end of the bargain of giving you the things they promised. They kept you so long at the presentation by not returning your credit card and ID that you missed the other activities. Plus, they shouldn't be charging you for transportation to the snorkel site since you picked up the salesman in your own rental car! What a sleazy bunch!

Report them to Profeco if you get anything less than all the money you paid them on your credit card.

Reaction score
Once your credit card deposit is refunded since you rescinded the contract, if they try to charge you for that snorkel trip, I'd fight that. They did not live up to their end of the bargain of giving you the things they promised. They kept you so long at the presentation by not returning your credit card and ID that you missed the other activities. Plus, they shouldn't be charging you for transportation to the snorkel site since you picked up the salesman in your own rental car! What a sleazy bunch!

Report them to Profeco if you get anything less than all the money you paid them on your credit card.

Seriously ... I can't believe we got sucked in to all this load of crap.
I've been so stressed out with this whole thing that it causing tension at home now. I can't wait to put this nightmare behind us.
A rep from the ovc emailed me through this site.
Should I reply ?

I'm sure all of you have had this happen too.
Btw the email I sent the sales rep and Greta advising that I was canceling
Was never replied. Yesterday that I left the post office during my lunch
I couldn't help but feel so helpless. I hope other visitors
To Cozumel have Internet access to read this before they agree to the tour.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A rep from the ovc emailed me through this site.
Should I reply ?
There is nothing to be gained by having any further contact with the sales dept., in my opinion. Since you rescinded within the time specified by Mexican law, you should be okay.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
As Karen said, there is nothing to be gained by any interchange with the sales weasels. However you might just copy if back to them with the addendum that you are exercising your legal right of rescission within the allowed time and that you expect a full refund of every cent you paid. And you expect it as soon as possible. And indicate thay you are cc'ing Profeco.

KingCupcake

Reaction score
[removed]

[Post text removed at request of Original Poster. This is required by the developer as a condition of settlement. -- Makai Guy, TUG BBS Administrator]

Last edited by a moderator: