• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Pictures from our Disney Aulani resort stay in Hawaii

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
We had an ocean view room deep in the U facing the pool. An unexpected benefit is that we were right above the bar. Don't worry- your room is SILENT once you shut the sliding glass doors to the balcony. But if you leave the doors open or go sit on the balcony, you will hear lovely live Hawaiian music every night. It was awesome to sit on the balcony in the evenings, cocktail in hand, ocean in the distance, Hawaiian music floating through your head.

H

That sounds really nice. After looking at multiple pictures from different view locations (with the exception of the Grand Villas), I think the view from the center U facing the pool/ocean is one of the nicest views. I hope to be fortunate enough to get one of those views.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aulani Disney Vacation Club Resort

Need Airline suggestions from East Coast
Washington DC, BWI area and Las Vegas.

Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa in Ko Olina, Hawaiʻi
92-1185 Aliʻinui Drive - Kapolei, HI 96707

FYI
Aulani is part of the Ko Olina Resort Community & Marina

Located on the western shore of Oʻahu about 17 miles (27.4 Km) from the Honolulu International Airport in Hawai‘i and a short drive from lively Waikiki, Aulani rests on 21 acres (85,000 m2) of beachfront property.

This beachfront Resort is nestled between the lush green mountains and beautiful ocean waters in Ko Olina on the leeward side of the island - far enough away from the crowds but close enough to enjoy all the wonders of Oʻahu. Property

Cisit Turtle Bay and the beautiful North Shore beaches, hike the emerald-green rainforests, admire a sparkling waterfall or simply explore Oʻahu.

Halihali Shopping Shuttle: Enjoy round-trip transportation—available at a fee—to Waikiki with stops at the Ala Moana Center, DFS Galleria (duty free) and Waikele Premium Outlets—all offering world-class shopping and dining. The shuttle runs 3 days a week. For reservations, visit the Holoholo Tour Desk in the lobby.

Rentals: Cars, mopeds and motorcycles are excellent options for travelling around Oʻahu on your own. Reserve a car in advance at the Honolulu International Airport or visit the Alamo car rental counter at Aulani, located at the Holoholo desk. Alamo offers competitive rates, unlimited mileage, a hassle-free rental experience and a variety of vehicles.

The Bus: Known as TheBus, this public transportation option offers extensive routes and destinations, with special visitor passes for multiple day use. The nearest bus stop is 1 mile from Aulani.

Trolley: While its coverage is not as extensive as the bus, the trolley does go to the most popular tourist destinations and offers special tickets with unlimited rides over a number of days.

The Hawaiʻi-Aleutian Standard Time (HST) is 5 hours behind Eastern Standard Time (EST) and 2 hours behind Pacific Standard Time (PST). Hawaiʻi does not recognize daylight savings time. During those months, add an extra hour to EST and PST times.

Boonie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was there last month and we LOVED it and can't wait to return! I used DVC points for a 5 night stay, I was married in Hawaii than was able to honeymoon after which was the best decision. I was in Ko'Olina about 10 years and it has grown. Everything at the resort is new and top notch including the service. I highly recommend it - go to Aulani if you can!:cheer:

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Beautiful photos! :) Thank you for posting them. The rooms look lovely and the grounds, fantastic! Love the landscaping and aquarium features!

A couple questions for DVCers who've stayed at Aulani:

I noticed that the jacuzzi tub in the MBR suite is a deep single-width. I thought DVC generally offered over-sized jacuzzi, double-width. Is this the only DVC with smaller jacuzzi tubs?

The pool and beach shots all looked pretty deserted but the buildings look huge, able to accommodate a LOT of people. Were the water pics taken very early in the AM or on a chilly day? Does the pool area seem well-sized for the number of people using it on a hot day?

Are you able to snorkel with those tropical fish (thinking of Typhoon Lagoon in FL) or feed the rays?

Did you try the onsite restaurant(s), besides room service? Did you like the food? Was it reasonably priced for a resort restaurant and for its quality? Are there other restaurants nearby?

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thx for sharing! I've only stayed in the studios so it was nice to see the villas! Btw we just closed on vgc earlier this weel ;) thx so much for your help in the past year helping me to decide!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
The pool and beach shots all looked pretty deserted but the buildings look huge, able to accommodate a LOT of people. Were the water pics taken very early in the AM or on a chilly day? Does the pool area seem well-sized for the number of people using it on a hot day?

The photos were taken in late February 2012. The occupancy level was reported at 51%. The water pics were taken between early afternoon and sunset.
There are concerns that the pool is not well sized for the resort during peak occupancy.

Are you able to snorkel with those tropical fish (thinking of Typhoon Lagoon in FL) or feed the rays?
Yes, you can snorkel in Rainbow Reef - http://resorts.disney.go.com/aulani...ies-amenities/pools-beach/pools/rainbow-reef/
I've read that the stingray encounter at Makai Preserve is no longer available.

Did you try the onsite restaurant(s), besides room service? Did you like the food? Was it reasonably priced for a resort restaurant and for its quality? Are there other restaurants nearby?

Yes, in addition to room service, we ate at the beachside lounge called the Hook and 'Ama'Ama. The food was ok. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great. It was good enough. We would eat onsite again. I guess I always expect prices for onsite resort restaurants to be extremely high compared to local restaurants offsite. It's the price you have to pay for the convenience of dining onsite. Aulani was no different.

Here are some sites regarding onsite and offsite options

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-resorts/aulani-hawaii-resort/#dining
http://allears.net/acc/aul/aulani_links.htm
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2906269
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2858912
http://www.mousesavers.com/other-di...ort-aulani-a-disney-resort-spa/#diningoptions

We loved it. We're going back with extended family in 2014 :banana:

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
What a coincidence! Later this year, we're doing a week in HHV Lagoon Tower and a night at Aulani, too.

I'd love to do a longer stay, but it's more than we're comfortable spending per night. One night to check it out, no problem. But for a longer stay I'll wait until I can exchange in.
Michael, its time to up your DVC points and live a little . Is Aulani actually ever available as an exchange?

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
No one has reported an exchange yet, but I'm sure it will happen at some point. There are just too many rooms, for it not to happen. Even if DVC doesn't bulk deposit an owner can make an RCI exchange that will force a deposit. I think many Tuggers have ongoing request, so if they care to share, we'll hear when it happens. ;)

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I have an ongoing request thru HGVC for about 17 months now. Hope someone reports when the trade happens. I know I will if or when I get it.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
No more points for me. It's a poor value. I only have 25 (the minimum) for the perks.
Michael, its time to up your DVC points and live a little í ½í¸Š. Is Aulani actually ever available as an exchange?

johnf0614

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beautiful Photos!

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
No Disney Hawaii weeks have been deposited to RCI, yet. I was told it will be another couple of years and I heard this right from the woman who manages the RCI account for DVC.

One day, I may share my very long and shocking DVC/RCI experience but right now I am singing the praises of both RCI and Disney. Disney made a big mistake with one of my DVC reservations (my first and only DVC trade through RCI, actually). Anyway, the mistake was so horrific that Disney compensated me very handsomely when it happened and promised me a "favor" to redem in 2014. Anyway, when I was communicating with the Disney and RCI people I asked about Hawaii and was told there hasn't been a deoposit yet and it would not happen for a couple more years. It costs so much to fly to Hawii from Cleveland, I don't see the no Disney Hawaii deposits as a huge loss for me, personally.

I have to admit, I have a whole new respect for RCI and Disney, now. I have a much more clear understanding of what trades I had hoped for that are actually possible and what trades are not. The deposit process (at least in my case) is managed by two people. The RCI account manager I dealt with had a direct line to the woman at Disney who gives RCI the deposits. The two contacts communicate instantly with each other.

I'm confident I was dealing with the two people who are responsbile for the entire DVC and RCI relationship and they told me no Hawaii deposits.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is interesting info. If this person at Disney insisted that no Aulani units would be deposited, I would presume that Disney can substitue one resort for another. I had always assumed that if a DVC owner made an RCI exchange, that DVC would make a deposit from their home resort.

Any insight you could share with respect to deposits at VGC?

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
No Disney Hawaii weeks have been deposited to RCI, yet. I was told it will be another couple of years and I heard this right from the woman who manages the RCI account for DVC.

One day, I may share my very long and shocking DVC/RCI experience but right now I am singing the praises of both RCI and Disney. Disney made a big mistake with one of my DVC reservations (my first and only DVC trade through RCI, actually). Anyway, the mistake was so horrific that Disney compensated me very handsomely when it happened and promised me a "favor" to redem in 2014. Anyway, when I was communicating with the Disney and RCI people I asked about Hawaii and was told there hasn't been a deoposit yet and it would not happen for a couple more years. It costs so much to fly to Hawii from Cleveland, I don't see the no Disney Hawaii deposits as a huge loss for me, personally.

I have to admit, I have a whole new respect for RCI and Disney, now. I have a much more clear understanding of what trades I had hoped for that are actually possible and what trades are not. The deposit process (at least in my case) is managed by two people. The RCI account manager I dealt with had a direct line to the woman at Disney who gives RCI the deposits. The two contacts communicate instantly with each other.

I'm confident I was dealing with the two people who are responsbile for the entire DVC and RCI relationship and they told me no Hawaii deposits.
That's what I figured. It almost never has consecutive 7-day availability inside of 7 month window, so would be hard to find inventory to deposit with RCI. And the way DVC deposits exchanges, just because an Aulani owner exchanges into RCI doesn't mean Aulani will be deposited -- DVC chooses what they deposit around 6 months out based on where they have excess inventory, since even with less popular dates/rooms/resorts, you're almost always trading up in value into DVC anyways. So, makes sense until (and if) Aulani becomes less popular, it won't be available in RCI. That said, another great reason to buy a cheap resale (e.g. SSR) in DVC so you can at least book Aulani at 7 months. jdunn1, I'd be interested to know more about your DVC/RCI nightmare -- PM me if you get a chance since I'm still convinced the whole DVC/RCI setup is a nightmare simply due to automatic confirmation and all the things that could go wrong with that (e.g. wiping out 2+ years of DVC points that you can't get back -- which based on what I'm inferring sounds like what happened to you).

Russ

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
DVC chooses what they deposit around 6 months out based on where they have excess inventory
I think we're both speculating based on what we've observed, but this doesn't mesh with my observations. For DVC owners, Studios are the hard-to-get "holy grail", yet those are much more plentiful on RCI. 2BR units are more scarce on RCI, yet they are frequently "excess inventory" on DVC.

My suspicion is that they deposit something that's a fairly representative mix of unit sizes and resorts.

What makes it hard is that we don't see the deposits. Only what's left over. And only for a very short period of time.

Boonie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beautiful resort and wonderful cast members! We went in June and hope to return soon! I have no regrets of buying DVC and Aulani confirmed that!

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
The photos were taken in late February 2012. The occupancy level was reported at 51%. The water pics were taken between early afternoon and sunset.
There are concerns that the pool is not well sized for the resort during peak occupancy.

DISBoards Aulani thread has new pictures from the Grand Villa overlooking the expanded pool area. A new pool was added as well as additional pool chairs.

The link below shows photos of the new updates as well as what it looked like prior to the reno. A good move in my books. Looking forward to our stay in May.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=50534513#post50534513

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
DISBoards Aulani thread has new pictures from the Grand Villa overlooking the expanded pool area. A new pool was added as well as additional pool chairs.

The link below shows photos of the new updates as well as what it looked like prior to the reno. A good move in my books. Looking forward to our stay in May.

The Ka Maka Grotto opened in the fall of 2013 as part of the Resort expansion project - http://resorts.disney.go.com/aulani-hawaii-resort/about-aulani/aulani-resort-expansion/

It looks awesome. :)
Here are some additional disboard photos I saw last year of the new Ka Maka Grotto pool & Ulu Cafe - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3179908
Here's a recent video of the new Ulu cafe (with some prices displayed) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj-IA5A8c40

I'm hoping to book a Grand Villa for a couple of nights in late August. ;)

Last edited:

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thank you.

It would be great if the new Poly DVC would be similar :rolleyes:

Dandc3

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a terrific stay at Disney's Aulani in Ko Olina. We loved the look and feel of the resort. We're looking forward to staying here again during our trips to Oahu.

We used our DVC points to reserve a one bedroom poolside garden view room for a one night stay. I was told that occupancy was at 51% which was perfect. We would definitely return during low season.

We saw the Starlit Hui evening show which was ok (nothing special but it was free). They place mats on the ground for you to sit on during the show. It's not very comfortable. I would not go out of your way to see it if you've seen other Hawaiian performances.

TIP: Skip the drinks on ice at the beachside lounge called Off the Hook. My pricey cocktail was mostly ice. Either request a frozen drink, soda without ice, or beer.

Here's a link to my photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/sets/72157629608370877/show/

Enjoy !!

Very nice photos, thanks.