• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Fairmont / Sunchaser / Northwynd official thread with lawsuit info!

truthr

Reaction score
Alberta Legislative Assembly - June 4th, 2018

On Monday, June 4th, 2018 at the Alberta Legislative Assembly, Richard Gotfried MLA Fish Creek Calgary brought up the timeshare Northmont to Stephanie McLean Minister of Service Alberta

Have a listen - Is someone finally taking this issue seriously???
blog-post_4.html

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Final release papers were promised by the end of May. I have not received mine. What kind of lawyer hands over millions without the release documents first?

torqued

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchaser
Does anyone have any information about any business dealings in the states relative to nw?? Especially anything questionable. Please please let me know. Thanks

dotbuhler

Reaction score
Alberta Legislative Assembly - June 4th, 2018

On Monday, June 4th, 2018 at the Alberta Legislative Assembly, Richard Gotfried MLA Fish Creek Calgary brought up the timeshare Northmont to Stephanie McLean Minister of Service Alberta

blog-post_4.html
...for anyone wishing to contact the Honourable Stephanie McLean her email is calgary.varsity@assembly.ab.ca, her legislative phone # is 780-422-6880, her fax is 780-422-2496. If you'd like to thank Richard Gotfried, MLA for Fish Creek, Calgary, his leg. #s are phone: 780-643-6541 and his fax is 780-415-0968. His email is: calgary.fishcreek@assembly.ab.ca.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmont

Stephanie McLean claims few or no letters to Service Alberta, really? For those of us who are still reading this and sent letters to Service Alberta, please forward them again. Also we should ask that she respond to the questions, why is there no interest in enforcing the consumer protection act? For some it is probably too late. But for many, this mess is still going and will for a long time.

servemeout

Reaction score
Glad to see this come up in Question Period. At one time we had a friend that asked why do they call it "Question Period". The reply - there are no answers. I called Service Alberta in Jan. and was told that there was nothing they could do. Did some underling not give or call attention that many letters that went to Stephanie McLean's office. There is something WRONG with the minister that is responsible for Consumer Protection not being completely informed of the actions of Northmont and the utter lack of consumer protection in this case.

GypsyOne

Reaction score
Glad to see this come up in Question Period. At one time we had a friend that asked why do they call it "Question Period". The reply - there are no answers. I called Service Alberta in Jan. and was told that there was nothing they could do. Did some underling not give or call attention that many letters that went to Stephanie McLean's office. There is something WRONG with the minister that is responsible for Consumer Protection not being completely informed of the actions of Northmont and the utter lack of consumer protection in this case.
For the Minister of CP to take this on she would be up against court decisions in two provinces. And the unspoken question is how much of those court decisions were politically motivated or influenced? Does she have the gonads to take that on?

dotbuhler

Reaction score
I forwarded my original email to Premier Notley to both Richard and Stephanie. Attached was the Petition that you have all been so great in signing and commenting in. I must say that I found the quick response from Mr. Gotfried's office to be absolutely encouraging. Looks like we may have a 'bull-terrier' taking up our cause. Let's use this to our advantage! Once again here is the contact info for Richard Gotfried:
T: 403-278-4444 C: 403-860-1162
E: calgary.fishcreek@assembly.ab.ca
www.RichardGotfried.ca

LilMaggie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own Nothing!
Final release papers were promised by the end of May. I have not received mine. What kind of lawyer hands over millions without the release documents first?
I am still waiting on mine as well.
Our lawyer was/is totally in cahoots with NM!

LilMaggie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own Nothing!
Stephanie McLean claims few or no letters to Service Alberta, really? For those of us who are still reading this and sent letters to Service Alberta, please forward them again. Also we should ask that she respond to the questions, why is there no interest in enforcing the consumer protection act? For some it is probably too late. But for many, this mess is still going and will for a long time.
I just sent my letter again to Ms. McLean (the exact one I sent Jan 16).
I know many of us wrote letters to her back in January when we were a larger, more vocal group. She must have received dozens of letters and phone calls at that time.
Please resend your letters or compose a new one to the minister. Ask her why we have no protection in this province.

dotbuhler

Reaction score
I just sent my letter again to Ms. McLean (the exact one I sent Jan 16).
I know many of us wrote letters to her back in January when we were a larger, more vocal group. She must have received dozens of letters and phone calls at that time.
Please resend your letters or compose a new one to the minister. Ask her why we have no protection in this province.
...good advice, Mags...Today's sitting saw McLean pull out the old saw that " it's been dealt with in the Courts...", after once again claiming that it is B.C.'s jurisdiction. Richard has advised her that he won't just let this lie. Whereupon McLean suggests that Gotfried and his position are "a scam". Looks like SHE wouldn't recognize a scam if it came along and bit her in the ass! Glad to see Gotfried address the senior abuse aspect.

truthr

Reaction score
...good advice, Mags...Today's sitting saw McLean pull out the old saw that " it's been dealt with in the Courts...", after once again claiming that it is B.C.'s jurisdiction. Richard has advised her that he won't just let this lie. Whereupon McLean suggests that Gotfried and his position are "a scam". Looks like SHE wouldn't recognize a scam if it came along and bit her in the ass! Glad to see Gotfried address the senior abuse aspect.
I will be posting the video of the part of the Legislative session regarding this later today/tonight.
Yes the senior abuse aspect is an important component of this fiasco - not to minimize the affect this has had on everyone.

truthr

Reaction score
As MLA Richard Gotfield tries again to get Stephanie McLean, the Alberta Minister of Service Alberta, to take this issue seriously he is shot down again and not in a nice way. Keep watching as she is taken to task.

GypsyOne

Reaction score
Richard Gotfield's comments were a scam??? What parallel universe is she living in? I'd like to know if McLean was receiving campaign contributions from Northmont! Now that would be a scam - our money being used to grease the wheels of Consumer Protection against we the consumer.

dotbuhler

Reaction score
Richard Gotfield's comments were a scam??? What parallel universe is she living in? I'd like to know if McLean was receiving campaign contributions from Northmont! Now that would be a scam - our money being used to grease the wheels of Consumer Protection against we the consumer.
Maybe the fact that she is spread too thin, being also Minister on the Status of Women, has not given her sufficient time to peruse the Alberta Fair Trading Act/ Alberta Consumer Protection Act, wherein it states that protection is afforded to the Alberta consumer regardless of where they bought, and especially since the seller was also doing business in Alberta out of their office in Alberta. The location of the timeshare is not relevant. (McLean will not be seeking re-election as she has decided to concentrate on her Law career.)

Huckleberry

Reaction score

Please once you have re-forwarded your original message to McLean forward the entire thread to Richard Gotfield. And thank him to being the only one to care in the entire government.

LilMaggie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own Nothing!
Did everybody get their sorry we can't do anything this is a legal matter email back from the minister McLean's office? I had a response by the afternoon. Funny how quickly her office responded after the matter was brought up in the Legislature!
Great idea Huckleberry, to send the thread to Mr. Gotfried. I'm on it!

Last edited:

LilMaggie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own Nothing!
Emailed response from Stephanie McLean's office.
"Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding Northmont Resort. I am disheartened to hear about the financial burden and hardship that you and many other Albertans are facing.
For too long, Alberta’s consumer laws lagged behind the rest of Canada, and Alberta families were often left in the lurch over bad contracts or unfair deals. That’s why we took action and strengthened our consumer laws so that hardworking Albertans are protected whether they are buying a new home or condo, tickets to their favourite concert, or getting work done on the family car.
When it comes to this particular case, our government has been actively monitoring the situation since it was first raised with us. As Justice and Solicitor General has indicated, court matters are outside of the influence of government and are protected by judicial independence. Ministers of the Crown, including myself, the Minister of Justice and Solicitor General for Alberta, the Premier of Alberta, or even the Prime Minister of Canada, cannot interfere with or comment on court outcomes. These are private legal matters that have been heard and determined in two provinces and are, outside of possible appeals, closed. However, we will continue to listen to Albertans impacted regarding their concerns and provide any other supports that may be available through other avenues.
Sincerely,
Honourable Stephanie McLean
Minister for Service Alberta and Status of Women"

The only reason that this whole mess became a "private legal matter" was because we had to fight for our rights as consumers as clearly our laws or politicians had no ability to protect us. Listen away minister...that doesn't help us one bit!

LilMaggie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own Nothing!
Maybe the fact that she is spread too thin, being also Minister on the Status of Women, has not given her sufficient time to peruse the Alberta Fair Trading Act/ Alberta Consumer Protection Act, wherein it states that protection is afforded to the Alberta consumer regardless of where they bought, and especially since the seller was also doing business in Alberta out of their office in Alberta. The location of the timeshare is not relevant. (McLean will not be seeking re-election as she has decided to concentrate on her Law career.)
OK...I'm a woman that has no status. It is a weirdly combined portfolio!
You are absolutely right Dot!

Last edited:

Spark1

Reaction score
The Scam is both the Justice System and Service Alberta which is suppose to protect consumers. Stephanie is a lair. My partner and i Email every member of Parliament do you not remember Stephanie it was Scam,Fraud,Extortion,White Collar Crime, and Seniors abuse. You should resign from your position and you should be ashamed of yourself allowing bullies like Northwynd to steal money from the innocent seniors and any other people that had a right to use timeshare being a lease contract. This is now a 400 million dollar nightmare because you didnot do your job. I talked with a Judge That happens to be my daugher in laws second cousine and a first cousine of her dad. He could not comment on the case because he was connected to Justice Young. He did say that every weekend he reads the paper and there is at least 6 white collar crimes going on all the time. He said the only way we can change this is we have to go after the Politicians. That was alot of work and all we got back from you people was form letters. You did not take this seriously, it was your job to do so. You are the Scam not Richard Gotfried. I met with Ron Orr at his office in Lacombe and i am sure he could give you a copy if you conveniently forgot.

dotbuhler

Reaction score
Emailed response from Stephanie McLean's office.
"Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding Northmont Resort. I am disheartened to hear about the financial burden and hardship that you and many other Albertans are facing.
For too long, Alberta’s consumer laws lagged behind the rest of Canada, and Alberta families were often left in the lurch over bad contracts or unfair deals. That’s why we took action and strengthened our consumer laws so that hardworking Albertans are protected whether they are buying a new home or condo, tickets to their favourite concert, or getting work done on the family car.
When it comes to this particular case, our government has been actively monitoring the situation since it was first raised with us. As Justice and Solicitor General has indicated, court matters are outside of the influence of government and are protected by judicial independence. Ministers of the Crown, including myself, the Minister of Justice and Solicitor General for Alberta, the Premier of Alberta, or even the Prime Minister of Canada, cannot interfere with or comment on court outcomes. These are private legal matters that have been heard and determined in two provinces and are, outside of possible appeals, closed. However, we will continue to listen to Albertans impacted regarding their concerns and provide any other supports that may be available through other avenues.
Sincerely,
Honourable Stephanie McLean
Minister for Service Alberta and Status of Women"

The only reason that this whole mess became a "private legal matter" was because we had to fight for our rights as consumers as clearly our laws or politicians had no ability to protect us. Listen away minister...that doesn't help us one bit!
Gee whiz...a word for word duplicate of my reply from her office. Makes one feel SO special!

servemeout

Reaction score
Brian Mason was a bus driver. If the bus got a flat tire, and I was a passenger, would I be responsible to pay the cost to repair the tire? This is the same scam that Northmont had done to the VIA holders when we were told that it was our responsibility to repair the sidewalks, catch basins, the faulty plumbing, and on ad nausea. Also when you ride the bus or other public transportation you are restricted by the amount of time you can ride - does this sound the same as a time share? If you need a lawyer down the road, concerning a time share, steer clear of the present Minister of Consumer Affairs.

Spark1

Reaction score
Gee whiz...a word for word duplicate of my reply from her office. Makes one feel SO special!
So Stephanie you are saying Fraud and Scam is legal in Alberta. You also said this case is handled by Protection BC. You are wrong. I contacted Protection BC several times and they told me because the Supplier is from Calgary Alberta and the unfair practice being the Freedom To Choose was done in Calgary and you are from Alberta sorry but you have to deal with Service Alberta. That is you and you did nothing to protect Alberta Consumers from these crooks. You talk about the unilateral amendments to contracts that became Law Dec17/2017 the reason this happened was because of this case. What you did wrong was not grandfathering it back to Jan01/2016. Again your effects that you think is so important does not help Albertans dealing with this case. Did you even talk to Protection BC? What is your opinion on Geldert Law becoming one of them and using the Gag order to steal more money from seniors and treating time owners if they do not pay the 27% compounded interest plus 20% on top of that he will than nail us with 162% interest. The SIF forms he is using have no signatures and nothing is itemized when you get the bill all it says is pay this. Stephanie do not bull shit me because I am much older than you and much smarter we sure the hell have not come along way when it comes to consumer Protection. This NDP Government is very disappointing for Alberta Consumers. Stephanie seeing you are the top person for Service Alberta tell us what we are paying for and what are we getting. Also tell me where I have this property that Northwynd says I own registered in BC. if I do not have this property registered in B.C. they know what they can do with their Capital expenses.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Northwynd/Northmont/Sunchaser
Brian Mason was a bus driver. If the bus got a flat tire, and I was a passenger, would I be responsible to pay the cost to repair the tire? This is the same scam that Northmont had done to the VIA holders when we were told that it was our responsibility to repair the sidewalks, catch basins, the faulty plumbing, and on ad nausea. Also when you ride the bus or other public transportation you are restricted by the amount of time you can ride - does this sound the same as a time share? If you need a lawyer down the road, concerning a time share, steer clear of the present Minister of Consumer Affairs.
. Perhaps Mr. Mason, as driver and operator of the bus, could hand his passenger an amended ticket that made said passenger responsible to pay for everything involving the bus along with the information that, as a very clever bus driver, he had decided he was not going to take any passengers the full forty miles that they had paid for in advance either.

Last edited: