• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Fairmont / Sunchaser / Northwynd official thread with lawsuit info!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmont
To my knowledge unless you were sued in AB you cannot be part of the appeal in AB as your personal individual court file would not be in AB hence you would not be part of the "Reid"action.

Those sued in BC probably can not be a part of the appeal by doing the dispute notes, etc. However, they can still fax their story to the court house and it may be presented to the judge. Any thoughts? It may work to strengthen the Alberta appeal and if successful, I would think the BC decision would be in question as this is not turning out to be fair already with the Alberta interest decision. It may be elevated up to the federal level with conflicting judgements. Any thoughts and does someone have a fax number for the appeal judge?

Last edited:

truthr

Reaction score

dotbuhler

Reaction score
Email this if you are an owner!!

It has been suggested that all owners send the email noted below to Resort Villa Management (as long as you are comfortable in doing so).

We suspect that Petitioner and Respondent will be arguing that because some owners managed to file a response before May 31st that this is an indication that everyone had sufficient time to do so.

In order to provide the owners with a viable argument in rebuttal, a wave of emails from as many owners as possible would be of great value going forward (even if they have filed and served their Response). We want to have as many people who are willing do this in advance of May 31st.

They can do so by sending an email to the lawyers of record for both Trustee and Northmont:

Respondent (Northmont) / Judson E. Virtue: jud.virtue@nortonrose.com
RVM Email Address: resortvillamanagement@northwynd.ca
Petitioner (Trustee) / Warren B. Milman: wmilman@mccarthy.ca
ScumBag Northwynd CEO: kwankel@northwynd.ca

Copy and paste the following to the email:

As an Owner of a timeshare at Sunchaser Vacation Villas at Riverside, Hillside and Riverview in Fairmont BC that is affected by the Petition between Philip K. Matkin Professional Corporation and Northmont Resort properties Ltd., I/We hereby request: and provide notice:

1) That the hearing be adjourned to a later date to allow more owners to prepare for it;
2) That the current amount of time scheduled for the hearing is not sufficient to allow the owners to make their submissions before the court;
3) That their May 31st deadline to file Form 67 with their affidavit has not allowed them sufficient time to hire a lawyer and ensure that their submissions are complete;
4) That the “Freedom to Choose, Reason to Stay” letter has effectively put the owners under duress with respect and has not allowed owners to make a fair and reasoned decision.
Going forward, here's a "blast from the past" that actually addressed the B.C. Court case and is worth getting in front of Justice Gill's eyes. Can everyone say "AFFIDAVIT"!!!

aden2

Reaction score
The big issue with the appeal would be that the Reid vs Northmont people did not sign the amendments to the contract that Northmont keeps saying they are following the contract. In my contract there is no charge to terminate Vacation Lease, the 26.82% interest charge was intended to VIA/s that were staying at the resort. NM is charging me the interest because they refused to accept my letter of termination in 2013.

dotbuhler

Reaction score
Reply to Northwynd CC

Thanks Northwynd CC for your reply, and allow me to respond.

I am disappointed that you could not have provided something more substantive for the purpose of providing clarity than a list of what amounts to little more than talking points or public relations statements. (TUG Canada site Misconception #1 to Misconception #22). For the most part you gave only examples of fringe “misconceptions” that serious owners may have heard in the general scuttlebutt but are not really serious issues on which to dispute the claims. Some are little more that strawman issues where you take a fringe statement, build it up into something big, and then spend a lot of time tearing it apart, thus questioning the credibility of the resisting TS owners. You did not comment on one substantive issue such as might be found in affidavits owners lodged with the court in disputing the two fees.

An example is Misconception #1 where you describe a conspiracy theory allegedly believed by TS owners that involves eleven different major organizations. Well, cool it. No responsible TS owner is seriously alleging a conspiracy of that magnitude, and you wasted about two pages of ink debunking it. Which is not to minimize the possibility of malfeasance, but that is a different issue.

I will reply within the context of two premises:

1. That my comments refer to my type of contract which is a Vacation Villa Lease signed in year 2000. This is important because as you know there are two classes of contract, the original lease contract where the TS owners are lessees or tenants, and the later or the conversions to Legacy for Life contracts where the TS owners are co-owners or owners in fee-simple. Strangely, Justice Loo in her decision noted the two types of contracts and then proceeded to treat them as synonomous. In fact they are far from equals as tenants have quite different rights and obligations than do owners.

As you are aware, all the early TS owners were lessees or tenants. The agreement was pretty much a basic lease arrangement and operated well for the first ten years or so. We got what we bargained for, which was a one or two week vacation at a quality resort, and we paid our proportionate share of operating expenses. The lease was for fourty years, which seemed safe enough because well constructed buildings should easily last sixty years with only routine maintenance. As tenants we were entitled to the standard right of quiet enjoyment and the implied warranty of habitability (the units must meet a certain standard of livability). Then things started to unravel. Buildings that should have lasted 60 years were showing major deficiencies after only nine to twenty-three years. Between 2005 to 2007, $41.5 million of funds disappeared, and shortly after in 2009 Fairmont defaulted and went into bankruptcy. Not to worry - not our problem. We’re tenants and not responsible for building construction or building re-construction. We’ll let the lawyers and the investors fight over ownership because we have our timeshare leases to protect our rights. Furthermore, the lease agreement specifies we are responsible only for maintenance or operating expenses. There are no references to capital costs or costs to restore capital structure. If we were responsible for capital costs, such a major item would not have been left to chance in the lease or buried in with a long list of operating expenses. It would have been very clearly stated and probably given separate paragraph status.

We can only assume that in about 2009 Northmont, wondering how they can saddle the TS owners with reconstruction of a failing resort and reward the REIT investors for a bad investment, realized they were on shaky grounds in asking tenants for capital funds to restore the resort for the benefit of the real owners. So they cleverly blitzed the TS owners to convert lease agreements to co-ownership agreements to which they added the phrase to Paragraph 11 “.....and to pay the costs of capital improvements that may from time to time be required.” That wording would not have been added if capital costs were clearly included in the original lease agreements. To add insult to injury, the new co-owners were charged something in the vicinity of $6,000 to $9,000 for the privilege of being owners and responsible for capital reconstruction.

Bottom line, there are two distinct classes of TS owners - lessees or tenants, and lessors or co-owners. How Justice Loo could lump them together in one decision is one of the mysteries of the Special Case hearing. But it certainly seems like it’s a point that could be contested. Or perhaps you could shed some light on the matter.

2. My second premise is that my lease is a valid contract from inception of the agreement to the present. Timeshare owners don’t really care if there were one or fifteen owners of the resort for the term of the lease. A contract is a contract and the rights and responsibilities pass from one lessor to the next. I know, Wyndy, you will claim that as part of the CCAA proceedings, Justice Romaine transferred all the assets including the VIA agreements to Northwynd free of liability. But me residing our here in Logicville, I’ll say two things about that. One is that another judge at another court level might see it differently. Two is that even if we concede on the “free of liability,” that could be interpreted to mean we are unable to sue for damages, but does not preclude us from voiding the contracts for numerous breaches of contract and misrepresentations. In other words we simply hand back the timeshare and walk away from a breached contract. TS owners are having a hard time understanding how rights and protection provided under the contract can be voided by the CCAA, but the obligation to pay maintenance and special assessments remain intact. Perhaps you can explain that slight of hand to we the dullard TS owners.

To cut to the chase, I’d be pleased if you would comment specifically on these issues:

1. How can you justify the lessees or tenants being responsible for capital costs? To use an analogy, if you were a tenant in an apartment block and the owner came to you for funds to replace the foundation, what would you tell him? Right, your answer would be a short and sweet negative. On the other hand if you were residing in a condominium in which you have ownership in fee simple, you would be obligated to contribute toward the capital cost of replacing the foundation. And that basically is the difference between being a lessee and being a co-owner.

2. How can you justify attributing ownership responsibility to the TS owners, but the TS owners never having had a voice in management. Paragraph 19 spells out creating a Lessee’s association, yet one was never established, which is just one more breach of contract. The result being that TS owners never had a voice or an ear in management deliberations. Again, using the condo analogy, if I was an owner in a condo complex I would have the opportunity to sit on the board of directors and attend all directors and annual meetings.

3. Why does Northwynd think they have the right to ignore Paragraph 13 of the lease which provides a formula in the event of default. As you know, basically the formula says that after a period of default the lessor can take back the timeshare and reimburse the lessee at 25% (or 50%) of the original cost for the remaining time on the lease. The formula weighs the numbers in favour of the lessor, which is to be expected, but at least there is a fair and logical way of settling a default. I know, you will say that the clause is permissive and that the lessor doesn’t have to accept the “deemed offer” of giving back the remaining timeshare. But in fact you ARE accepting the deemed offer. You are accepting the deemed offer once you agree to take back the timeshare as does happen in your cancellation proposal. Its just that you don’t want to pay up according to the terms of the lease. I have to believe that paragraph 13 was included in the lease for a reason. In fact there are consumer protection laws that prohibit the use of deceptive marketing practices and misleading contracts that could lull prospective purchasers into a false sense of security and have them think they have some protection when in fact the one party to the agreement can just arbitrarily change the rules to suit their interests.

The cancellation fee agreement you have devised results in the ridiculous situation that I pay about $16,000 to acquire the timeshare, then I pay you another about $4,000 to take it back from me, plus another year of maintenance for which I get no value, for a total cost of about $21,000 and I am conned out of about 27 years of timeshare. It would be like if I bought a car for $16,000 cash and for some reason I have to return it to the dealer. But I not only have to return the car for no reimbursement, I also have to hand over $4,000 as well. But we’re not done yet. I also have to pay $1,000 for the next year’s gas, oil, and repairs on the car I no longer have. Tell me, if someone offered you that deal, what would be your response? Yeah, me too.

4. Why do you think the Fairmont CCAA proceedings have voided the TS owners rights under the lease agreement as it relates to breaches of contract, such as “to manage and maintain the Project in a prudent and workmanlike manner,” but retained the responsibility to pay maintenance and special assessments? I touched on this question above and I would like your response, as it seems to me that you are wanting your cake and eating it too. I don’t want a response that amounts to “because it is in our best financial interest and Justice Loo said we could.” Greed doesn’t count. I’m looking for logical principles to justify me shelling out hard earned money.

5. Am I right that funds from the cancellation fee go to the REIT investors and the RPM funds less management fee go toward resort renovations?

6. Miscon #3: Okay, there are several levels of breach of contract. I’ll say minor, material, repudiatory, and anticipatory. Why do you think that modifying the interpretation of a simple lease agreement into Northwynd’s and the REIT investors personal money machine is not a repudiatory breach? Seems to me that is right up there with your example of the hairdresser reopening as a massage parlor.

7. Miscon #11: You say that whether or not Northwynd lives or dies, the resort will survive. Even if Northwynd goes bankrupt, the resort carries on and the judge transfers the contracts and management of the resort to a new property manager and life goes on. I presume you are also saying the courts would have extinguished the lessees right of legal recourse for breaches of contract (free of liability), but have retained the lessee’s obligation to pay maintenance and special assessments. In other words, no matter how egregious the breaches, no matter how badly we are treated, we are obliged to send in our money on demand by the owners for evermore or 40 years, whichever comes first. You say that even if we win, we lose. I find that not only strange but bizarre. If that were true, no person in their right mind would ever enter into a contract with a timeshare resort owner. Or for that matter enter into any contract. Parties to contracts should not have their rights legally extinguished so easily. You’d better rethink that “misconception.”

8. Your three-legged stool includes approval of the renovation fee, the cancellation fee, and downsizing the resort. Justice Loo approved the two fees but no mention of the downsizing. Where does downsizing stand? If your answer is that approval for downsizing is included in the renovation agreement, my next question is - how many TS owners have agreed to the renovation fee to date?

9. The British Columbia Real Estate Association requires that its members complete a Property Disclosure Statement for real estate transactions. Among the questions are the following:

G. Are you aware of any structural problems with any of the buildings?
J. Are you aware of any problems with the heating and/or central air
conditioning system?
K. Are you aware of any moisture and/or water problems in the walls, basement
or crawl space?
L. Are you aware of any damage due to wind, fire or water?
M. Are you aware of any roof leakage or unrepaired roof damage? (Age of roof
if known: ____________ years)
O. Are you aware of any problems with the plumbing system?

Was a Property Disclosure Statement completed for all Vacation Villa Leases, Vacation Interval Agreements (co-ownership agreements), and conversion to Legacy for Life Agreements?

Thanks in advance for your response.

GypsyOne
EXCELLENT REBUTTAL!!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmount
I have ordered the transcript for the Thursday, March 8th, 2018 Appeal Speak to Appeal in AB and expect to receive them tomorrow.

If anyone is interested in contributing to the cost and receiving a copy please send me a private conversation here on Tugbbs.

The cost per person is $30.00.
I would love to share this entire transcript but feel it only fair to share some highlights with my own narrative out of respect for it costing Truth so much money to purchase it - the transcript is a short read but a telling tale in my opinion how two lawyers are collaboratively working a Judge for a collective goal.

In doing an initial read of the Reid Vs Northmont_March 8, 2018_Transcript I am finding it very informative as to the attitude our own counsel has taken towards us, their clients, which I would have thought would have come more from the Northmont lawyer MR. VIRTUE than someone who is payed to serve and protect our interests.

I will post a few exerts starting with these that in my opinion appear to imply that we all look at this matter with Northmont as a trivial in nature and are embarrassed as to what Michael Geldert coerced us into paying via the extorted settlement agreement amount to Northmont who he negotiated us to quite handsomely sell out our future memories and investments as expressed by Barry King from Strathcona Law Group below who at this point still continues to represent us in front of the Courts in public and behind closed doors to prevent us from hearing everything he has to say.

I would imagine anyone who was put in a position to move forward with self-litigation and was present at this hearing should have had the right to attend the private session at the end of this proceeding – seems inappropriate you were asked to leave and shown the door by the Dream Team!!

Action No.: 170322524
Presiding, Judge Gill – Court of Queen’s Bench

Exert 1:
Page 28

3 Ms. -- Ms. Avery will make that a priority. And
4 they will get a copy of the affidavit. It doesn't have anyone's contact information because
5 in my view, I agree with my friend, that's -- some of these people, even if they're non-
6 settling, may not want to talk to anybody about this, you know? This is -- this is not
7 probably the highlight of their lives
, Sir. And so, I -- the information can be made available
8 as its filed, and I'm prepared to continue to do that.

Option 2 people – is this issue with Northmont important to you?

Exert 2:
Pg 42
MR. KING talking,
29 .... there are also privacy issues which prevail I
30 think, in terms of my individual clients who have settled, that this is not what they would
31 consider a high point in their lives and they would just assume that the general public wasn't
32 aware of what it cost them
to extract themselves from this situation which many of them
33 have described in similar manners as the folks in front of you today.

Option 1 people – are you suffering as a result of this issue with Northmont and if you could, would you scream from the top of a hill how badly you have been abused?

Next up – Who was best prepared for this hearing to provide “Precedent” and “Rules of the Court” information to the Judge.

LilMaggie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own Nothing!
I appears that the actual paper copy of the release agreements will not be sent out until May 31 as they are waiting for the hardship request folks to pay up as well and send them all out at once?
That's the way I understand it.

GypsyOne

Reaction score
Wow. You are hired. If you argued this case we’d be celebrating in the streets!!

I wrote that post in TUG BBS some time ago when for a short time Northmont was openly discussing the case in open forum with TS owners. The conversation didn't last long, probably because they found themselves on the losing end of the logic and merit discussion. At that time life seemed much simpler. We assumed that contracts and leases meant something, words meant what they said, the courts were fair arbitrators of truth, cases were won and lost on the merits of your arguement, not on your influence and the size of your war chest, and enough people had integrity to assure that truth would prevail. That has all proven to be terribly naive. Not only did we lose several times in court, but not one snippet of our case was found to have merit by the judges. I find it almost incredible that the courts could be so one-sided and myopic. I bought out when it became painfully obvious that we could not win, at least with the JEKE test case approach. However, I continue to follow the case and I'm hoping that those currently carrying on the battle have found an approach that works. Perhaps an honest judge will be found who believes in the integrity of a contract and justice will prevail. Good luck to those fighting on.

MarcieL

Reaction score
I would love to share this entire transcript but feel it only fair to share some highlights with my own narrative out of respect for it costing Truth so much money to purchase it - the transcript is a short read but a telling tale in my opinion how two lawyers are collaboratively working a Judge for a collective goal.

In doing an initial read of the Reid Vs Northmont_March 8, 2018_Transcript I am finding it very informative as to the attitude our own counsel has taken towards us, their clients, which I would have thought would have come more from the Northmont lawyer MR. VIRTUE than someone who is payed to serve and protect our interests.

I will post a few exerts starting with these that in my opinion appear to imply that we all look at this matter with Northmont as a trivial in nature and are embarrassed as to what Michael Geldert coerced us into paying via the extorted settlement agreement amount to Northmont who he negotiated us to quite handsomely sell out our future memories and investments as expressed by Barry King from Strathcona Law Group below who at this point still continues to represent us in front of the Courts in public and behind closed doors to prevent us from hearing everything he has to say.

I would imagine anyone who was put in a position to move forward with self-litigation and was present at this hearing should have had the right to attend the private session at the end of this proceeding – seems inappropriate you were asked to leave and shown the door by the Dream Team!!

Exert 1:
Page 28

4 they will get a copy of the affidavit. It doesn't have anyone's contact information because
5 in my view, I agree with my friend, that's -- some of these people, even if they're non-
6 settling, may not want to talk to anybody about this, you know? This is -- this is not

Exert 2:
Pg 42
MR. KING talking,
30 think, in terms of my individual clients who have settled, that this is not what they would
31 consider a high point in their lives and they would just assume that the general public wasn't

Option 1 people – are you suffering as a result of this issue with Northmont and if you could, would you scream from the top of a hill how badly you have been abused?

Next up – Who was best prepared for this hearing to provide “Precedent” and “Rules of the Court” information to the Judge.
Omg who is King working for? This is something ,heart breaking after settling for 40 grand I would like everyone to know about this abuse and extortion. Option 1 people cannot appeal however why not,prior to 2003, judge young declared 5% interest on contracts during the Feb 28. hearing. Our releases are dated March 1. I think we should all collectively appeal as she obviously did not recognize the unilateral changes to those of us that purchased prior to 2003, ours was 1994.

Petus@18

Reaction score
Going forward, here's a "blast from the past" that actually addressed the B.C. Court case and is worth getting in front of Justice Gill's eyes. Can everyone say "AFFIDAVIT"!!!

Hopefully this time people in this forum will get your message Dotbuhler! If anyone wants to make their voice be heard by Judge Gill, then file an Affidavit and tell him your story. If you are part of the Reid's action, get involved in the appeal even if you settled. The chances of getting back and fight to get your money back is worth a try. Chances of succeding with this judge are 30/70, but that can change if the court receives hundreds of affidavits filed before May 10th. If you were sued in BC, helping the AB appeal, by filing your Affidavits, you would be helping yourself as well. If God help us and we win this appeal, then you all can appeal as well.

As Dotbuhler said, can you say AFFIDAVIT?
I can A F F I D A V I T :cheer:yayyyyy

truthr

Reaction score
If you want to know what REALLY happened in Edmonton on March 8th, 2018 - I have the official transcripts.
Although there were people there - thanks to those who showed up and spoke - a transcript is recorded by a neutral party sans personal feelings, biases and prejudices.

If you want a copy just send me a message here in the conversation section.

Cost to you - $30.00.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmount
Who was best prepared for this hearing to provide “Precedent” and “Rule of the Court” information to Judge Gill?

Non other than Barry King from Strathcona Law Group - MR. VIRTUE only needed to be a bobble head doll and nod his head to show the Judge his consent as Barry provided everything that was needed to seal the deal (wonder it he brought this info with him to the court or if someone gave it too him? Kind of stinks of collaboration in my opinion)

Funny how Barry conveniently forgot the most important document for this court date which was the "non-settling client list" which naturally Judge Gill requested as this was the primary reason everyone was getting together (da) and it wasn't filed with everything else (I guess it isn't a big surprise for the Court this time but go figure it wasn't filed) but that's worth another whole highlight (looking back to our other trial transcripts this seems to be a convenient presentation trend / strategy of Barry's - wonder it this worked for him much in grade school - next court date I wonder if his dog will have ate something he needs to present)

Context - this exclusive and private conversation occurred after the court was cleared between the Dream Team and Judge Gill to have the Court suppress records both Counsels do not want as part of the court records to prevent it becoming available to the media.

Exert 1:
Page 41
37 MR. KING: My Lord, there -- there is an issue and as you can
38 tell from some of the questions that were addressed to you, these people who continue to
39 defend this matter, to some extent, have a perception that they have an interest in what
40 transpired between my settling clients and Northmont. And the difficulty that we want to
41 address is that there is an affidavit that has been filed which sets out in some degree of
Page 42 <con’t>
1 detail, those settlement terms, the amounts paid, and even attaches an exhibit of the actual
2 cheque that went from Mr. Geldert to Northmont.
4 My friend and I have talked about this, he's -- we filled the gap by doing the reverse image
5 which is to say these are the 76 people who haven't settled. And -- and so, the evidence
6 before you today is simply Ms. Avery's (FYI this person works for Barry King) affidavit as opposed to the larger more omnibus
7 affidavit. And I was going to bring an application (a) to seal that affidavit so that nobody
8 could obtain a copy from the clerk, and secondly, have it withdrawn from the court record
9 and returned to my friend. And my friend as I understand it, is content to have the affidavit
10 withdrawn.
12 The difficulty with sealing of course, is that --
14 THE COURT: Got to give notice and all sorts of things.
16 MR. VIRTUE: Yeah.
18 MR. KING: -- there's notice to the media, there's -- pretty
19 soon everybody knows about it before you seal it and then you have a problem. Now I
20 know there are decisions by some such as former Chief Justice Wachowich in which
21 sealing happened on an ex-parte basis but that was a pretty narrow issue.

35 THE COURT: Okay I'm just going through my mind here in
36 terms of what might be the -- you know, something that's been filed, un-filing it, it sounds
37 -- sounds like Harry Potter or something. I don’t know if I can do that.
39 MR. VIRTUE: Yeah. (not agreeing this is Harry Potter – agreeing with Barry’s Chief Justice stuff)
41 MR. KING: There --43
2 THE COURT: But what I --
4 MR. KING: There is precedent --
6 THE COURT: Well what I --
8 MR. KING: -- for that, Sir.
10 THE COURT: There is hey?
12 MR. KING: But it is from Ontario. (how long did it take to find this I wonder)

Exert 2:
Page 44
23 MR. KING: Under the Rules Sir, you have the authority under
24 368(4) to strike out all or any part of an affidavit that contains frivolous, irrelevant or
25 improper information. And I'm not going to characterize the information in question --
27 MR. VIRTUE: The --
29 MR. KING: -- but you could issue an order sealing that so the
30 clerk can't disseminate it, and then the order would also require them to remove the exhibits
31 as being filed -- basically irrelevant to the matters before you

Next up – Barry King is late

dotbuhler

Reaction score
Who was best prepared for this hearing to provide “Precedent” and “Rule of the Court” information to Judge Gill?

Non other than Barry King from Strathcona Law Group - MR. VIRTUE only needed to be a bobble head doll and nod his head to show the Judge his consent as Barry provided everything that was needed to seal the deal (wonder it he brought this info with him to the court or if someone gave it too him? Kind of stinks of collaboration in my opinion)

Funny how Barry conveniently forgot the most important document for this court date which was the "non-settling client list" which naturally Judge Gill requested as this was the primary reason everyone was getting together (da) and it wasn't filed with everything else (I guess it isn't a big surprise for the Court this time but go figure it wasn't filed) but that's worth another whole highlight (looking back to our other trial transcripts this seems to be a convenient presentation trend / strategy of Barry's - wonder it this worked for him much in grade school - next court date I wonder if his dog will have ate something he needs to present)

Context - this exclusive and private conversation occurred after the court was cleared between the Dream Team and Judge Gill to have the Court suppress records both Counsels do not want as part of the court records to prevent it becoming available to the media.

Exert 1:
Page 41
38 tell from some of the questions that were addressed to you, these people who continue to
39 defend this matter, to some extent, have a perception that they have an interest in what
40 transpired between my settling clients and Northmont. And the difficulty that we want to
41 address is that there is an affidavit that has been filed which sets out in some degree of
Page 42 <con’t>
1 detail, those settlement terms, the amounts paid, and even attaches an exhibit of the actual
4 My friend and I have talked about this, he's -- we filled the gap by doing the reverse image
5 which is to say these are the 76 people who haven't settled. And -- and so, the evidence
6 before you today is simply Ms. Avery's (FYI this person works for Barry King) affidavit as opposed to the larger more omnibus
7 affidavit. And I was going to bring an application (a) to seal that affidavit so that nobody
8 could obtain a copy from the clerk, and secondly, have it withdrawn from the court record
9 and returned to my friend. And my friend as I understand it, is content to have the affidavit
10 withdrawn.
19 soon everybody knows about it before you seal it and then you have a problem. Now I
20 know there are decisions by some such as former Chief Justice Wachowich in which

36 terms of what might be the -- you know, something that's been filed, un-filing it, it sounds
39 MR. VIRTUE: Yeah. (not agreeing this is Harry Potter – agreeing with Barry’s Chief Justice stuff)
12 MR. KING: But it is from Ontario. (how long did it take to find this I wonder)

Exert 2:
Page 44
24 368(4) to strike out all or any part of an affidavit that contains frivolous, irrelevant or
25 improper information. And I'm not going to characterize the information in question --
30 clerk can't disseminate it, and then the order would also require them to remove the exhibits

Speaking to Barry King and the non-settling client list, has anybody had any communication from his office? No acknowledgement of emails, no response to voice mail messages! What kind of a shyster is he? Oh, right...birds of a feather!!

CleoB

Reaction score

Exert 1:
Page 28

Exert 2:
Pg 42
MR. KING talking,

Is there anything in the settlement agreement that states option one people that settled can not file an appeal?

CleoB

Reaction score

Exert 1:
Page 41
Page 42 <con’t>
10 withdrawn.

Exert 2:
Page 44

OMG, whose side is King on????????? This is something that I would expect to come out of the mouth of Virtue not King.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmount
Is there anything in the settlement agreement that states option one people that settled can not file an appeal?
Let us take the opportunity to present it to the Judge in May via an Affidavit and he can decide what he is willing to accept.

We cannot ask our current (or past counsel) as they have done and continuing to do everything to obstruct us so whatever they say is mute.

An example, has any Option 2 people received their Geldert/King request to release contact info or documentation care packages yet? Didn't think so - guess this speaks for itself.

The settlement agreement was obtained fraudulently in my opinion and is not mutually beneficial to any of the Option 1 people compared to what Northmont received in return - as people who can self represent, we have a more latitude to ask for the Court's direction then what lawyers are bond to when presenting and trust me, we will not be working mutually to bury stuff other parties want stifled.

Appealing may not immediately get Option 1 peoples money back but it's a stepping stone and possibly an opportunity to get the truth heard which is a goal in itself for something monetarily beneficial down the road.

I can pretty much bet on Northmont not thinking the Option 1 people would still want to support Option 2 people in the appeal but we are still all comrades, there is new evidence, a new Judge, and a retired legal team that will not be able mess things up or hinder us any longer which are being replaced by people with the motivation to succeed who still have a lot going for them.

If we don't try, we truly have lost!!

truthr

Reaction score
My apologies to all who have asked me to be their voice for taking so long to get back to this very important task but I am back at it and will get to all of them - one day at a time.

Please everyone - share this on your various social media pages.

CleoB

Reaction score
Let us take the opportunity to present it to the Judge in May via an Affidavit and he can decide what he is willing to accept.

We cannot ask our current (or past counsel) as they have done and continuing to do everything to obstruct us so whatever they say is mute.

An example, has any Option 2 people received their Geldert/King request to release contact info or documentation care packages yet? Didn't think so - guess this speaks for itself.

The settlement agreement was obtained fraudulently in my opinion and is not mutually beneficial to any of the Option 1 people compared to what Northmont received in return - as people who can self represent, we have a more latitude to ask for the Court's direction then what lawyers are bond to when presenting and trust me, we will not be working mutually to bury stuff other parties want stifled.

Appealing may not immediately get Option 1 peoples money back but it's a stepping stone and possibly an opportunity to get the truth heard which is a goal in itself for something monetarily beneficial down the road.

I can pretty much bet on Northmont not thinking the Option 1 people would still want to support Option 2 people in the appeal but we are still all comrades, there is new evidence, a new Judge, and a retired legal team that will not be able mess things up or hinder us any longer which are being replaced by people with the motivation to succeed who still have a lot going for them.

Yes, you are very right and I follow your thoughts. What new evidence are you referring to? If you do not want to post here, please pm me.

Shake Down

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmont/Sunchaser 92'
Everyone has shown each other their goodies now, lots of new info. Its about filtering out the noise during presentation! Hard facts and evidence to overwhelm them!

Quick question: Whatever came about “Lease Hold Interest Certificates” some of us still have? I understood these must be legally transferred back to Northmont or must have your written consent to surrender, a court order etc. No mention of them, or just swept up.

Also from my 1992 Lease #37-Modification to lease;
"The lessor reserves the right to modify this lease from time to time for the benefit of existing and future lessees, provided that any such adjustment or modification will not in any way materially prejudice the rights of existing lessees. If any such adjustment or modification is effected, the Lessor will provide notice to each Lessee setting out the nature of the adjustment or modification, the reasons of giving rise to such adjustment or modification and the effects thereof"

Did the landlord breach a material obligation?
:shrug: man is it 5:00 yet.... lol

MarcieL

Reaction score

Exert 1:
Page 41
Page 42 <con’t>
10 withdrawn.

Exert 2:
Page 44

Question and pardon my ignorance, but he wants the affidavit concerning the S.A. and it's contents struck from the record is that what King is saying? Alwayer for someone must've filed this if it has a copy of the cheque from M. G. to N.M. Please enlighten me?

J's Garage

Reaction score
I've been just in read only mode for a while, but once again Ultimate_Betrayal posts something that I hope we all pay attention to.

What I have given up trying to understand is how our "lawyer" thinks it's reasonable for him to have only ever provided the information "he" thinks we need. That's how you coerce or manipulate someone into unfavorable. In what country do we grant law degrees, where one would ever expect to be bound to a contract that has not been reviewed by the "signee". Am I naive to believe, that reputable lawyers would expect to review the document with the client, after the client has reviewed on their own?

From a government of Canada website:

Before signing a contract there are a few things to keep in mind:

• Always read the contract carefully, including the fine print.
  • Only sign if you understand and agree with everything in the contract.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/oca-bc.nsf/eng/ca02654.html

We aren't lawyers, but was it really unreasonable to expect that we ought to review the agreement before signing in.

Is not what the "lawyer" did to his clients also an unfair trade practice? Paraphrasing a concept from the regulations states, that if something is vague or uncertain, the terms are to be interpreted to favor the consumer.

In western society law, there is also the concept of "intention to be legally bound". As I understand it, the concept would mean that if parties wish to form an enforceable agreement, it becomes enforceable only if the (both) parties intended it to be an enforceable contract.

"Is an agreement the same thing as a contract?
A contract is a written or verbal agreement that is enforceable by law. An agreement is the same, however it is typically not enforced by the law."

• MG - made several documented notes that led us to understand that we would be able to review the settlement agreement before a commitment was required.
  • MG - failed to provide ALL (or even arguably most) pertinent information that his clients could require to make their each informed decisions.
  • MG - has stated something along the lines that certain individuals failed to provide the instructions he sought. (Yeah, does that even sound like he was taking instructions from the retainer owners
One instance I read up on was where reference was made to having an unassociated bystander given the facts, background, and conditions to which an agreement was reached. Then the bystander is asked what they felt was the intent of the agreement entered into.

I know lawyers have been asked about the SA itself. What about the agreement upon which MG has signed on the clients behalf? I think the importance of signing the agreement to alleviate solicitor responsibility can be noted in the attempts of MG to still get signatures through the hardship waiver's. Unfortunately, my best guess is that by signing the settlement agreement, (directly or through the hardship waiver), contesting the conditions in which the settlement agreement was presented to the clients will produce some difficulty.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmount
Question and pardon my ignorance, but he wants the affidavit concerning the S.A. and it's contents struck from the record is that what King is saying? Alwayer for someone must've filed this if it has a copy of the cheque from M. G. to N.M. Please enlighten me?
You hit the nail right on the head!!!

Reading this transcript and the last one is very disconcerting to me that Geldert and SLG were supposed to be on our side.

What's telling is what was said and we are told over time - there definitely is a HUGE grey area these guys are using that keep us in the dark.

No wonder they don't want us to review the documentation and are trying hard to filter/prevent us from getting it using things like litigation privilege or confidentiality - it's a load of BS.

Our retainer agreement clarifies the confidentiality part and the lawyer client relationship eliminates the privilege (we payed for it and are entitled to everything but say my individual correspondences with Geldert - anything that related to the group should have been presented to the group)

MarcieL

Reaction score
Why is King doing this to the very people he was paid to defend? The settlement agreement had a gag is that why. The Judge shouldn't be aware of the extortion that was inflicted upon us to leave. I am disgusted with B.K. I thought he was dropping the option 2 clients why is he involved? Why did he get his associate to post an affadavit can someone clarify I do not understand .