• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2011] What is there do in Branson beside shows

Indy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are heading to Branson at the end of May. We were wondering if there is anything fun in the area to do besides the obvious shows.

Also does anyone have any favorite restaurants?

Thanks as always!

libraria99

Reaction score
Well, everyone has their own idea of fun, but I'll toss out a couple of things. I understand that visiting the fish hatchery at the dam is interesting, especially if you have kids.

If you like to hike, there is Dogwood Canyon.

The Showboat Branson Belle is a combination dinner (or lunch); show and a nice boat ride around the lake.

I know you said besides shows, but you must see SIX; make reservation now; they often sell out. You can check schedules at www.reservebranson.com

One restaurant I would always recommend is the Keeter Center at the College of the Ozarks.

Another is Devil's Pool Restaurant at Big Cedar.

If you are into shopping, the Landing on the very East end of Hwy 76 (known as the strip) is great and has several good restaurants. If you like bbq, Famous Dave's is a good choice.

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,
We are heading to Branson at the end of May. We were wondering if there is anything fun in the area to do besides the obvious shows.

It will be warm, but not hot. Would you consider boating or fishing fun activities? These are popular things to do. There's also Silver Dollar City and "Duck" rides.

Mike

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Branson Shows, Etc.

Click here for an account of our week in Branson, seeing shows, etc., a few years ago.

Next time we're there, we'll try the Keeter Center at the College of the Ozarks & Devil's Pool Restaurant at Big Cedar.

We won't be going back to the restaurant at Baldknobbers.

The Six were new in town when we attended their show, & the auditorium was barely half full. They are a talented bunch, & it's nice hearing that their shows are now selling out. More power to them.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

Indy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. The fish hatchery sounds interesting. And I always love the restaurant ideas. I think we will look into that coupon book you mentioned and definitely stay away from Baldknobbers.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
There is a little museum in the College of the Ozarks where they have the buggy from the Beverly Hillbillies and a bunch of Americana historic items.
The restaurant onsite is great. The historic tour of the university was very interesting.

We ate dinner at Chateau on the Lake at sunset with a beautiful view. The food wasn't the greatest but the view was.

We had lunch at Big Cedar in one of the restaurants. It's also a nice trip out but the GPS will get lost.

The Duck tour was fun and takes you high up a hill for a nice view of the lake.

The Dixie Stampede was also nice seeing the horses and eating camp style with your hands.

There is an outlet mall but nothing to write home about.

There is a Titanic museum but I didn't do it.

Fishing seems to be a big thing there so if you like that kind of stuff the Hatchery is interesting and there is a Big Outdoor World store in the downtown area. I'm not that into fishing and found the hatchery interesting.

We did the railroad to Arkansas from across the downtown but it was no big deal as you mostly face the rock on the way out til you get to the end and then turn back.

Table Rock state park is worth a visit and is free. Beautiful views of the lake and a video with the history of how the lake was made by the Army Corp. Engineers.

You could always do a timeshare tour for a little added fun. :rofl:

Have fun.:hi:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Next time we're there, we'll try the Keeter Center at the College of the Ozarks

Had lunch here when I was visiting my sister, who lives not far from Branson. Very impressed. If you don't know about the College of the Ozarks, look it up. Almost all of the students are on 100% scholarship and they all have to work. The nickname for the school is "Hard Work U". So all of the servers are college students and they are wonderful.:D

weezie

TUG Member
Reaction score
branson

if you are going to be in branson on May 22 go to Faith Life Church for Sunday Service at 10:00 a.m. then stay after the service they are having their Celebration Sunday and its alot of fun Ive been going for the pass 3 years and enjoyed it. My children especially love it. Lots of fun

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
did anyone mention golf... ?? is there golf there.. i am sure somewhere there is a golf course, a putt putt, or a par 3 place to play..

and shows.. :whoopie:

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
did anyone mention golf... ?? is there golf there.. i am sure somewhere there is a golf course, a putt putt, or a par 3 place to play..

and shows.. :whoopie:

Yep, there's golf, putt-putt, bumper boats, go-karts and a lot of activities. Don't recall the par 3, however.

Mike

BigRedOne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Fishing is Great

Excellent trout fishing on Lake Tanacomo, both rainbow and browns. Also good fishing on Table Rock lake, bass, crapie, catfish, bluegill, etc.

fishingguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
fishingguy likes his trout fishing

The whole area is great for fly fishing. Below the dam is Tanneycomo and it's hatchery you can tour, or you can fish some of the creeks that drain into it. Roaring River is about 45 minutes away, Crane Creek is about 40 minutes, and the tailwater below Bull Shoals and Norton lakes are about 1 hour and 15 minutes. We go often for nice browns, rainbow and brook trout. There are also many hiking trails in all of the parks.

The Ranger boat factory is about an hour south east of Branson in Flippin, AR and of course the big Bass Pro in Springfield is about 40 minutes to the north. (Don't forget to stop at Lamberts in Ozark, MO for some decent eats on the way from Springfield.)

squeeze

TUG Member
Reaction score
bumping, what seems to be last years thread, but those travelling to this area for this summer may be interested again.

Branson is only 30 minutes from Lake of the Ozarks, so if you want to rent a boat, jet skis, or any water activities and get away from the 'shows' head to Lake of the Ozarks.

Also, there is an extremely large Outlet Mall. Not sure how many stores exist there (seems like a few hundred); I've never seen a larger one and people travel from all around the area to shop at the Outlet Center (plan to spend several hours here, if you go)

There are many many more restaurants to choose from at Lake of the Ozarks as well (enjoy the nice seafood restaurants and the ones out on the water are really nice).

You can also do bumper cars, go karts, mini golf, and those sort of things w/the kids @ Lake of the Ozarks.

Update: As ace2000 corrected my post. He is correct, I was thinking of Springfield, MO being 30 minutes away. Lake of the Ozarks is much further. However, if you are looking to get away for the Show Scenery to may make a nice trip for the day. It's the water location to be. Yes Branson has water, but on a much smaller scale. The boats on the water at Branson are small compared to the extremely nice large boats you will see at Lake of the Ozarks. Many stars own condos at Lake of the Ozarks just to get away. Their are million dollar condos and much higher.

Lake of the Ozarks may still remain an outing for you, but it is 140 miles away. Tons of party coves at the Ozarks. Essentially, many parts are family oriented while many are party coves. In fact, they have gas stops for boats to re fuel out on the water and tons of restuarants on the water. And, the gas girls are in itsy bitsy bikkini's (but they are on the water).

Thanks for catching that ace2000.

Last edited:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
bumping, what seems to be last years thread, but those travelling to this area for this summer may be interested again.

Branson is only 30 minutes from Lake of the Ozarks, so if you want to rent a boat, jet skis, or any water activities and get away from the 'shows' head to Lake of the Ozarks.

Also, there is an extremely large Outlet Mall. Not sure how many stores exist there (seems like a few hundred); I've never seen a larger one and people travel from all around the area to shop at the Outlet Center (plan to spend several hours here, if you go)

There are many many more restaurants to choose from at Lake of the Ozarks as well (enjoy the nice seafood restaurants and the ones out on the water are really nice).

You can also do bumper cars, go karts, mini golf, and those sort of things w/the kids @ Lake of the Ozarks.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Lake of the Ozarks is at least a 2 1/2 hour drive from Branson. Yes, a lot of the things you mention are located in Lake of the Ozarks, but you'll find the same in Branson also.

Table Rock Lake is the lake that is located near Branson, which is about a 10 minute drive.

fishingguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought the same thing when I read that post, but figured the poster actually meant Lake Springfield and Springfield, MO maybe. Springfield, MO is ~1/2 hour or so to the north.

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, a lot of the things you mention are located in Lake of the Ozarks, but you'll find the same in Branson also.

But no "party cove".... :D ;) ;)

Yep, Branson to Lake of the Ozarks is about 140 miles m/l.

Mike

Last edited:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought the same thing when I read that post, but figured the poster actually meant Lake Springfield and Springfield, MO maybe. Springfield, MO is ~1/2 hour or so to the north.

Even Lake Springfield would be a stretch. You can't ski on Lake Springfield, and fishing is sub-par anyway. Lake Springfield by itself is not worth the drive from Branson.

squeeze

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Lake of the Ozarks is at least a 2 1/2 hour drive from Branson. Yes, a lot of the things you mention are located in Lake of the Ozarks, but you'll find the same in Branson also.

Table Rock Lake is the lake that is located near Branson, which is about a 10 minute drive.

Yep, you are correct. ha! I am confused. Springfield is 30 minutes away, not Lake of the Ozarks. However, Branson is not near the shopping site or water site of Lake of the Ozarks. Everything @ Lake of the Ozarks is on a much larger scale (but some may not want that drive).

Although not a 30 minute drive, still might be worth the sights for those not from the area. Lake of the Ozarks is massive compared to Branson.

I will update my post, sorry.

Last edited:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everything @ Lake of the Ozarks is on a much larger scale (but some may not want that drive).

Although not a 30 minute drive, still might be worth the sights for those not from the area. Lake of the Ozarks is massive compared to Branson.

Edit. post deleted. I've beat this horse enough. :)

Last edited:

squeeze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Edit. post deleted. I've beat this horse enough. :)

Sorry if I offended you ace2000.

Branson is the home of the shows scenes. (basically a theatre, country music scene).

I was trying to post things other than the show scenes (as the OP was asking this question). Millions descend upon Branson every year for the one of a kind show scenes that will surround you. Year round population there is only 5,000 (maybe a little less).

Branson is very much a tourist area open and known for a seasonal basis (summer time).

It's a great area and I've been there several times. Love all the shows, but the water is not near the sites of Lake of the Ozarks.

I plan to go again for the show scenes; I think a full week can be made out of Branson, but I can also understand the question about what else is there.
Branson is a 'broadway version of the Nashville country scene' with some other very interesting and humorous shows mixed in.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I offended you ace2000.

Branson is the home of the shows scenes. (basically a theatre, country music scene).

I was trying to post things other than the show scenes (as the OP was asking this question). Millions descend upon Branson every year for the one of a kind show scenes that will surround you. Year round population there is only 5,000 (maybe a little less).

Branson is very much a tourist area open and known for a seasonal basis (summer time).

It's a great area and I've been there several times. Love all the shows, but the water is not near the sites of Lake of the Ozarks.

I plan to go again for the show scenes; I think a full week can be made out of Branson, but I can also understand the question about what else is there.
Branson is a 'broadway version of the Nashville country scene' with some other very interesting and humorous shows mixed in.

Not offended at all. I think both locations are great.

squeeze

TUG Member
Reaction score
OMGosh,

How could I forget. Make sure to see the Circque DeSoleil show. It's amazing!
If you've never seen one of their shows you will be amazed.:clap:

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
OMGosh,

How could I forget. Make sure to see the Circque DeSoleil show. It's amazing!
If you've never seen one of their shows you will be amazed.:clap:

Is the Circque show a permanent attraction? If so, which one is it? DH and I have seen 7 (me)/8 (DH) of them and our goal is to see them all!

We'll be in Branson for a week this summer with MIL for her 90th. She has mobility issues, so we're interested in other activities besides shows, however, need to keep her limited mobility in mind.

Ingrid