• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2011 ] Questions about Summer Bay/The Desert Club Las Vegas

roadtriper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks - that is what I expected. We have lost the SB affiliation regardless of whether we join HIVC or not. That ship has sailed.

So, my Houses at Summer bay will remain a fond memory....at least as I tried to avoid the 1 in 4 rule for the houses...

Lots of fond memories with Summer Bay! they were very generous with us in Las Vegas! BUT, I see bright horizons with Orange Lake/HIVC. Orange Lake Resort is basicaly next door to Summer Bay in Orlando! the place is massive! we were down in Orlando a few months ago and got them to agree to let us explore the place! it's big and looks to have about everything! maybe too big! RT.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree

Comparing OL to SB is no comparison! OL is huge and has many more amenities overall.

But there is nothing like the House at SB, IF you can get one. We were fortunate to get one (2x) and avoided the 1 in 4 rule RCI imposes because we owned at SB las vegas. Nothing like having your OWN pool, lakeside, screened in, three bedrooms, garage, etc.....AAAHHHH.

Anyway, now that we are no longer affiliated with SB, I am at the whim of RCI. For the time being, when we next go to Orlando, I will be quite happy to trade into the HI Orange Lake!

sandy

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got my Priority Club rewards welcome

This notification was in an email. Still nothing from the HICV membership.

Did anyone else get this email? It says I am "gold" but have no points yet. I guess that is because I have not yet put any points into the account.

My RCI annual is coming up on Aug 1st, so I think I have to notify RCI that I want future deposits to be via HICV. Hope I got that right. Or perhaps it will be automatic?

Anyone else who converted and completed this process yet?

sandy

fluxmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sandy,

I think that's the free Gold membership we get from Holiday Inn Priority Club Rewards. The hotel part of the club. You would get points by staying in the hotels or transferring points from HICV to the HI hotel rewards program.

Here is the section from the HICV guide page 22.

"With membership, you are also automatically enrolled in Priority Club’s Gold Elite level (a $50 value). With this
complimentary upgrade, you’ll receive a 10% Elite bonus on all points during hotel stays within the Priority
Club Rewards Family of Brands*. And that’s just the beginning:"

I'm still waiting for all my stuff too. :)

Ed

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received my HICV membership email

So, now I have both the Priority Club membership material, as well as my HICV membership info. I am going through the website and learning some of the details,

I was "promised" that my adult children could be put onto the account so that they could use the trading power and visit without a guest certificate, like is required through RCI. So far, I cannot locate that information.

Also, I cannot make out the account information, which dates back several years. I guess they forwarded my ownership info, but it is a bit confusing.

One more thing: they say that membership begins on January of each year, but obviously we just joined this June. Not sure if we have to "up again" in January, or if it carries over one full year from now.

When I find out the answers to these questions, I will post for other who may be interested. If someone knows the answers, please advise.

Otherwise, it looks good, and I am (so far) happy with the decision to join HICV.

thanks,
sandy

MikeV-97

Reaction score
HIVC membership

I joined hivc in June however,I found it all too confusing too many unanswered questions so I cancelled the membership ,I don't anyone else had the same issues ...Mike

roadtriper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I joined hivc in June however,I found it all too confusing too many unanswered questions so I cancelled the membership ,I don't anyone else had the same issues ...Mike

I Joined in June, Contract and paperwork was a bit one sided but still went through with it. just getting the hang of the system, but happy so far. as with anything there will be plusses and minuses. but overall I think it will work to my advantage in the long run. wish I had a Crystal ball when I was purchasing some of my units, as some are worth a lot more points than others! RT

roadtriper

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI link from HICV Site

Ok, I finaly got my membership # and got signed up onto the HICV Website. everything works great, except the link to RCI. I've made several calls to CS and they can't seem to fix it? anyone else been able to get to RCI through the "Go to RCI" Link on the HICV Site??? Thanks RT

elim12345

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got my HIC membership cards

Got my membership cards. Made 2 reservations. Borrowed from next year's points and worked as I read it would. So far very happy with my HIC membership.

If by some chance you have not seen "The Linq" project yet. This is the greatest thing to happen to Summer Bay (oops DC) since the move. Check it out at:

http://www.caesars.com/thelinq/

We now know what is going in the old Summer Bay area. Love the world's largest Ferris Wheel "Observation Wheel". The DC will be right next to all of this!!!!

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Using HIVC for airfare - I found the link

Ok - so most of you have by now either not joined the HIVC or joined and exploring. I joined and I am exploring the options. I figured that it was a cheap way to get into the HICV club, considering that other "conversion" schemes cost thousands of $$. When I saw the low cost, I thought long and hard, but then joined.

One of the things I was interested in was the option to use the Priority Club points for airfare. I know, I know, this is not the best use of points usually. Probably correct. But this is the same conclusion with using RCI points for airfare, so maybe I am no better off. With RCI, I was limited to the a certain percentage of my alloted points for the year.

Anyway, I finally found out how to play around with using points for airfare after speaking with a rep today. Here it is:

Go to www.priorityclub.com (use your priority club member number)
- Rewards
- Travel
- Flights anywhere
- - flights anywhere (again, on the left side)
- Search for flights

Then you can play around with flight options. Looks like it is live, as with expedia or travelocity type websites.

Since I don't have any points in the account yet, it says something like "You don't have sufficient points, but view the possibilites..."

This gives me an idea of points values for airfares. Of course, these change just as real-time money costs for airfares, but I thought others might like to know how to find this info.

Looks like this HIVC might work out, especially for hotel stays at places we want to visit that do not have timeshare options.:D Such as Charleston, SC; New York; and especially European vacatons; also for those international travellers, the resorts and hotels across the globe through IGH group look scrumptuous!:cheer:

sandy

Last edited:

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got my membership cards. Made 2 reservations. Borrowed from next year's points and worked as I read it would. So far very happy with my HIC membership.

If by some chance you have not seen "The Linq" project yet. This is the greatest thing to happen to Summer Bay (oops DC) since the move. Check it out at:

http://www.caesars.com/thelinq/

We now know what is going in the old Summer Bay area. Love the world's largest Ferris Wheel "Observation Wheel". The DC will be right next to all of this!!!!

Edited to add: I see that this will be on the construction site
right across from our resort! Happy happy, lots to see and do coming.
Thanks
sandy

Last edited:

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Ok, I finaly got my membership # and got signed up onto the HICV Website. everything works great, except the link to RCI. I've made several calls to CS and they can't seem to fix it? anyone else been able to get to RCI through the "Go to RCI" Link on the HICV Site??? Thanks RT

My link to RCI does not work well with Internet Exporer,but it works with Google chrome.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Hi, I have looked at the press, but cannot determine the location of the wheel? Looks good, but will it be on the strip or across the strip near Caesars, or on the back street near our resort?

Thanks
sandy
It's behind the Imperial Palace & Flamingo. There's a pathway cut through from the Strip directly across from Caesars Palace that will be lined with restaurants, bars, shops, etc. The wheel will be across the street from Desert Club.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's behind the Imperial Palace & Flamingo. There's a pathway cut through from the Strip directly across from Caesars Palace that will be lined with restaurants, bars, shops, etc. The wheel will be across the street from Desert Club.

WOW! Can't wait. We really are in the right place at the right time.

sandy

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread, but what are those of you who are not joining HIVC planning to do with your week at the Desert Club? I just received a check in the mail from RCI for the membership fees I paid for my weeks and points accounts back in June. I have no intention of joining the Club, but it seems that we are being forced to do so. The Vacation Guide at RCI could not explain what was going to happen since I've opted out of becoming a member of HIVC. I was planning to keep my unit in points to be used for other vacations. Since I've been a weeks member since 1998, it seems that it will not matter. My RCI account shows that my membership is only valid through 4/13. I paid the $178.00 for the buy two get one free year membership. The RCI VC told me that I should have never received the offer via weeks. Now, I'm really confused. I guess this will be another phone call to HIVC tomorrow. I am not a happy camper.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Hijjah

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread, but what are those of you who are not joining HIVC planning to do with your week at the Desert Club? I just received a check in the mail from RCI for the membership fees I paid for my weeks and points accounts back in June. I have no intention of joining the Club, but it seems that we are being forced to do so. The Vacation Guide at RCI could not explain what was going to happen since I've opted out of becoming a member of HIVC. I was planning to keep my unit in points to be used for other vacations. Since I've been a weeks member since 1998, it seems that it will not matter. My RCI account shows that my membership is only valid through 4/13. I paid the $178.00 for the buy two get one free year membership. The RCI VC told me that I should have never received the offer via weeks. Now, I'm really confused. I guess this will be another phone call to HIVC tomorrow. I am not a happy camper.

That seems strange. Are you saying that RCI basically kicked you out? Why would they do that? Not everyone signed up for the HIVC, and my understanding is that you still own your weeks or points connected with your deed. Also, you should still be able to trade them through RCI.

Granted, I got into this right under the deadline, so I may have missed the point you are raising. But I don't recall reading anything that says you will be disaffiliated with RCI if you did not join HIVC.

Anyone else getting refund checks from RCI?

sandy

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
My link to RCI does not work well with Internet Exporer,but it works with Google chrome.

I tried to get to RCI from the site, and had the same problem. I just signed into my regular RCI account, but want to know how to do it through HIVC. I am interested in others who have figured out. I do not have Chrome.

roadtriper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hajjah, as I understand it... those owners with weeks accounts and or RCI Points accounts will see no difference if they did NOT Join HICV. I'm guessing the problem you are having with RCI is an RCI Problem. and has nothing to do with HI? Maybe they did send you the offer in error and just undid it? let us know what you find out.

Sandy, I have not been able to get the RCI link to work off the HICV site since I got access to the site, I've tried both IE and Chrome. have been in contact with folks at HICV CS and they tried a bunch of things that didn't work, and now are telling me the site is "Down for Maint." and they will call me when it's back up. I think that translates to... it's broke and we don't know how to fix it just yet!
as for the Linq Project... I think it will be great for the neighborhood to get those empty lots developed and lit so there is a clean safe route from the Desert Club to the strip. I think it may possibly (but I wouldn't put money on it) breathe a little life back into the Monorail??? as the Flamingo Station is smack dab in the middle of all this??? if CET is smart they will figure out a way to take advantage of this as it can bring folks from both ends of the strip right to their new HUB. something like Validating parking?! someway of crediting folks the price of their Monorail ticket if they get off at the Linq?

Having the Worlds Largest Observation wheel 550' all lit up and looming Large over our Resort ??? Yeah, still not sure how I feel about that! I predict the cool factor may wear off pretty quick? time will tell! RT

Last edited:

roadtriper

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW! Can't wait. We really are in the right place at the right time.

sandy

we were there in June and standing on the upper Level in front of Caesars looking down the Alley Way they cleared for the Linq project, you are looking right at the Desert Club and the Meridien Condo's next door RT

If you go to the Live cam on the (Linq) Link that was provided, and watch the Time lapse view you can see the same vantage point of which I speak, you can also watch O'Sheas Parking garage and most of O'Sheas disappear! off to the right you get a good view of the Flamingo Timeshares and out back you see the Desert Club

Last edited:

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
Sandy, I'm not sure what is going on. I've always had an RCI weeks account since 1998. When I bought the SBLV I began to pay only one fee to RCI. That's the check that was returned to me yesterday. I am still at a loss and did not have time to call RCI. I will try to call today. The last person I spoke to told me that the weeks account would eventually be closed. I will have to call HIVC tomorrow for more clarification as well. I had planned to sell the week if I found a buyer. I got it on Ebay when the resort first had those units for sale in points. Initially I had planned to leave RCI, but then decided to keep my account open for last calls and extra vacations. Now, I'm not so sure about this. I really did not think that joining HIVC was a good thing for me. I'm not interested in their resorts other than Orange Lake, but that's an easy exchange outside of high demand. I am also sorry that I got rid of my SB Orlando two years ago. I would have done better selling the LV instead of FL. We had no idea that LV would be taken over by HI. Exchanging into those houses at Summer Bay was the best ever! I think we stayed in the houses 3 times. That's over now since the points needed to stay there are so high.
I would still like to see what other SBLV owners are doing with their units if they are not joining HIVC.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hope you can get it straight

Sandy, I'm not sure what is going on. ... I'm not interested in their resorts other than Orange Lake, but that's an easy exchange outside of high demand. I am also sorry that I got rid of my SB Orlando two years ago. I would have done better selling the LV instead of FL. We had no idea that LV would be taken over by HI. Exchanging into those houses at Summer Bay was the best ever! I think we stayed in the houses 3 times. That's over now since the points needed to stay there are so high.
I would still like to see what other SBLV owners are doing with their units if they are not joining HIVC.

Hi Hijjah,

I know what you mean about the houses at summer bay. I think you and I corresponded on a way to get into these houses by being a SB owner and avoiding the 1-in-4 rule. I was successful with your guidance on that trade. I think one time I get the houses using my weeks deposit in SB.

Now that SB LV Desert Club is no longer affiliated with the SB in Orlando, we are no better off. Just have to trade through RCI to get into the houses, and it is indeed a steep trade.

But back to your original question, I think your issue is with RCI, not HICV.. I could be wrong, but since you did not join you will still be an owner at Desert Club, and capable of using your RCI points or week to stay there or to trade through RCI.

Whatever the outcome, please post here so we can know how you resolved this issue.

Take care,
sandy

roadtriper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just told that it takes 6-8 weeks for me to see RCI directly through the HICV website link.

Sounds odd to me, the link is on the HICV Site and comes up with an ERROR msg. I think the Reps are making it up as they go along. let me try and get an answer from the top. RT

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I was just told that it takes 6-8 weeks for me to see RCI directly through the HICV website link.

Really? I didn't have to wait that long at all.

Anyone can get google chrome for free. It's a free download. I don't use it that often because I am comfortable with Internet Explorer, but I need it to access the RCI points correctly.

dwojo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds odd to me, the link is on the HICV Site and comes up with an ERROR msg. I think the Reps are making it up as they go along. let me try and get an answer from the top. RT
It took almost 8 weeks for RCI to be functional when I signed up with HIVC a few years ago