• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2011] DRI to Buy Monarch Grand Vacation

drguy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
According to the update we attended this morning at Cabo Azul, the trust is being closed in the next few weeks and 4 of the 8 completed buildings will remain in the trust, the rest will be DRI as will the former hotel which will be finished as timeshare condos. 4.25 per credit per year maintenance fees is what we were quoted.
Internet in the room has been repaired at least 4 times since we arrived 24 hours ago.
Quite a few renovations are underway, replacing structural items built in the past couple of years. Salesman was not impressed with the CA resorts, calling them average and worn, expecting DRI to raise prices and fees across the board. Heck of a pitch to get us to buy more...

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
According to the update we attended this morning at Cabo Azul, the trust is being closed in the next few weeks and 4 of the 8 completed buildings will remain in the trust, the rest will be DRI as will the former hotel which will be finished as timeshare condos. 4.25 per credit per year maintenance fees is what we were quoted.
Internet in the room has been repaired at least 4 times since we arrived 24 hours ago.
Quite a few renovations are underway, replacing structural items built in the past couple of years. Salesman was not impressed with the CA resorts, calling them average and worn, expecting DRI to raise prices and fees across the board. Heck of a pitch to get us to buy more...

DRI will make the necessary upgrades/repairs and, owners will pay for those upgrades, including DRI for the unit weeks they still own in their sales inventory.

The bad news, owners will be putting more money into their resorts.

The good news is the resorts will improve in quality. Once the initial MF shock is over, they'll level out.

Our ownership at Polo Towers had fallen behind some (financiall wise) when Mr. Cloobeck had stepped away from an active role in management. After a stiff SA and some 7% increases in MF's for a couple of years, things have leveled out. This year one timeshare had a 0% increase and the other was 4.9%. The resort no longer looks dated but fresh and now compares with the better resorts in Las Vegas.

jbercu

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Sale is Complete!

Has anyone heard anything yet? Has the sell gone through?

The Sale is Complete!

The Bankruptcy Court judge ruled in favor of the sale on Friday the 13th. (January 13, 2012)
If you send me a PM with you e-mail address, I can send you a PDF of the Court order titled:
“ORDER PURSUANT TO BANKRUPTCY CODE SECTIONS 105, 363 AND 365 AUTHORIZING THE DEBTORS TO SELL CERTAIN ASSETS TO DPM ACQUISITION, LLC OR TO THE SUCCESSFUL BIDDER”

There was no other bidder since the bankruptcy was a formality to get rid of the unsecured creditors. The unsecured creditors, including MGV will have to recover peanuts on the dollar from the sale of the Pacific Monarch headquarters building, if it is sold for an amount that exceeds the mortgage and selling fees. (Doubtful)

cgartly

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem with MGV is the maintenance fee's are already through the roof in comparison to other timeshare systems. I own 576 points and the MF for is 8.60/pt. If I lived closer to my timeshare's I could get good value by just staying Mon-Thu.

For example a Friday night stay at Cancun is 42 points for 2 br, which equates to $361.20 for a night. I can buy the same night on Expedia for much less, although there is currently no availability on 2br units for the night I want. Escape time if available is only $126.00 for the same night.

I'm just not sure I could afford to keep paying my maintenance fee's if they went up 7% for the next couple of years, not with the value I am currently receiving.

Perhaps if MGV quit selling weeks to Expedia for less than what it costs an owner and passed some better getaway deals to owners I'd feel I was getting a good value for my dollar but currently it feels like as an Owner I am being taken advantage of.

Reaction score
Want out of Monarch Grand Vacation TS? - Class Action Lawsuit

I am trying to find other victims of Monarch Grand Vacation timeshares who may be interested in a Class Action Lawsuit.

I have set up the following email for this purpose: grandmonarch_ClassActionLawsuit@yahoo.com

Please email there is you are also a victim and want to do something about it or want out. Please feel free to pass along this email address to others you may know who have also fallen victim to their unscrupulous business practices.

Thank you,
Burned by the Monarch

WALLstAL

Reaction score
Back in May I attened an owners update meeting at palm Canyon. The entire nine resorts have been taken over by DRI, they stated they would give me credit for my ownership. For only $10,000 and give them my existing plan with points, I would be eligible to use all of DRI's properties. Under their points plan I would only be eligible for one weeks use per year. Under my current plan with 421 pts, depending on how I use it, I have almost 42 weekdays at Palm Canyon every other year. They want me to through all that away, for one week at DRI, they said with their plan I can go all over the world with just one phone call. I told them I was not interested, they gave me a $75 Visa debit card for my time.

Last edited:

TNSexton

Reaction score
Mgv Owners: Do Not Transfer To Diamond!!!

Let me first share the experience my wife and I had at our recent "Owner's Update" at the Palm Canyon Resort in Palm Springs this past week, then I’ll share my thoughts on that experience.

When we checked in, we signed up for an Owner’s Update as we were curious to learn how Diamond’s new ownership of MGV would affect our Monarch points etc. When we sat down with a sales rep, he didn’t even bother to butter us up at all, he just went right in with how the program we’d bought into would no longer be available. When we last purchased points, Monarch had sold us on a program that would give us numerous extras and benefits once we got to 600 total points. We are currently at 399 and had planned to reach the 600 points in the next 4-5 years. Now, that was no longer available.

Next, he explained what our options would be if we wanted to transfer our points to the Diamond system. This is where things got really weird. He first informed us that our points would transfer at an exchange rate BETWEEN 15 & 30x as Diamond operates on thousands while Monarch operates on hundreds. When we asked why there wasn’t a fixed rate of transfer for the points, he said "I don't know." We then immediately asked, what is the variable in the exchange rate based on, credit, length of time as owners or something else. His answer again was, “I don’t know.”

He then showed us a couple of examples of their points system and what would be required to stay at certain resorts. Right now, our 399 points are good for 3 weeks total in a one bedroom at Cabo Azul where the time was originally purchased over two years. At the low end 15x exchange rate, we’d have 5,985 points in the Diamond program for one year, but a number of the resorts we were shown required close to 7,000 points for a week in a one bedroom. We were less than thrilled.

So, our next question was how many points in the Diamond system would it take to stay in a one bedroom at Cabo Azul for a week. He couldn’t answer this question either. His response was, “we won’t know until January 1st, 2013 when Diamond takes control of their portions of the MGV properties." At this point, we were pretty unimpressed and somewhat perturbed by this whole situation and so the saleman asked his supervisor over to help clarify some of the points. She basically went through the same exact pitch, unable to answer the same questions, but instead of approaching the exchange from the low end, she used examples of the 30x exchange ratio. When we asked her what the exchange ratio was based on, she said, “I don’t know.”

WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!? This is like a crap shoot or a lottery. I’m not gambling with the value of our existing timeshare, hoping it will work out in our favor! Who would take this offer, it’s INSANE!

So, then they said, “we’ll be willing to waive the new member fee of $2,995 if you sign up with us today, but you’ll need to purchase a minimum of 2,500 points with us as well.” We told them there was no way we’d gamble with our Monarch points when they couldn’t tell us what the exchange rate was based on and because there is no example of how many Diamond points will be needed to stay at any of the Monarch resorts, there is no way for us to quantify the value of Diamond’s points system. To this, the woman supervisor said, “I just showed you a number of examples of how many points would be required to stay at different Diamond resorts.” I retorted, “I haven’t stayed at any of these places, I haven’t seen the stats on these rooms, a list of the amenities, or more than one picture of the front of the resort. I cannot possible assess the value of a one bedroom at these resorts we’ve never been to or had the chance to research.

With that, we said we would not be switching to Diamond at this time and they asked us to sign a form that said we acknowledged we were offered the deal where they’d waive the $2,995 entrance fee and it would not be available to us again. We refused to sign it. I told them it was not fair to be given an ultimatum when we only wanted an update on the goings on of the company. Especially when there were so many unanswered questions and we had not been given substantial time to review the Diamond program or their many properties.

They did not make us sign it and neither should anyone else. This sales pitch was the worst I’ve ever heard, we were literally floored by the unprecedented approach they took in trying to convince us to switch with minimal information being provided. Why would anyone make a decision of that magnitude based on hearsay and speculation?!?!? Until Diamond can offer rock solid information about how they are converting Monarch owners and are able to give comparison points rates for the existing Monarch properties using their points system, it is absurd that anyone would even consider switching over.

Don’t be fooled by their pitch, don’t buy into something where a company is asking you to gamble with the value of your existing timeshare and they have no way to give you a quantified value to compare your existing points to.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I didn't read much past the line where the salesman told you your original ownership wasn't worth anything...........that is a big 'ol LIE! Anytime a TS salesman tells you what you were originally sold is worthless, just stop listening at that point.

The salesman has you upset with what amounts to a pack of lies in his attempt to make a few bucks off you. Give it two or three years and let DRI clean these clowns out off the sales floor, then go back to see what they say.

Your ownership as you own it now won't change. Look around TUG and see how many complaints you can find from those who were in systems before Sunterra bought those systems out. Find some legitimate complaints from owners of recent systems or resorts purchased by DRI. I believe you'll have trouble finding any where owners report actually issues getting what they own.

You will find reports of salesmen telling owners what they were sold isn't worth anything. So, you can find salesmens lips flapping but no evidence that their threats ever come to reality. That should tell you that jumping off a bridge based on a TS salesmens lies isn't worth doing.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Wise Move!

Let me first share the experience my wife and I had at our recent "Owner's Update" at the Palm Canyon Resort in Palm Springs this past week, then I’ll share my thoughts on that experience.

When we checked in, we signed up for an Owner’s Update as we were curious to learn how Diamond’s new ownership of MGV would affect our Monarch points etc. When we sat down with a sales rep, he didn’t even bother to butter us up at all, he just went right in with how the program we’d bought into would no longer be available. When we last purchased points, Monarch had sold us on a program that would give us numerous extras and benefits once we got to 600 total points. We are currently at 399 and had planned to reach the 600 points in the next 4-5 years. Now, that was no longer available.

Next, he explained what our options would be if we wanted to transfer our points to the Diamond system. This is where things got really weird. He first informed us that our points would transfer at an exchange rate BETWEEN 15 & 30x as Diamond operates on thousands while Monarch operates on hundreds. When we asked why there wasn’t a fixed rate of transfer for the points, he said "I don't know." We then immediately asked, what is the variable in the exchange rate based on, credit, length of time as owners or something else. His answer again was, “I don’t know.”

He then showed us a couple of examples of their points system and what would be required to stay at certain resorts. Right now, our 399 points are good for 3 weeks total in a one bedroom at Cabo Azul where the time was originally purchased over two years. At the low end 15x exchange rate, we’d have 5,985 points in the Diamond program for one year, but a number of the resorts we were shown required close to 7,000 points for a week in a one bedroom. We were less than thrilled.

So, our next question was how many points in the Diamond system would it take to stay in a one bedroom at Cabo Azul for a week. He couldn’t answer this question either. His response was, “we won’t know until January 1st, 2013 when Diamond takes control of their portions of the MGV properties." At this point, we were pretty unimpressed and somewhat perturbed by this whole situation and so the saleman asked his supervisor over to help clarify some of the points. She basically went through the same exact pitch, unable to answer the same questions, but instead of approaching the exchange from the low end, she used examples of the 30x exchange ratio. When we asked her what the exchange ratio was based on, she said, “I don’t know.”

WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!? This is like a crap shoot or a lottery. I’m not gambling with the value of our existing timeshare, hoping it will work out in our favor! Who would take this offer, it’s INSANE!

So, then they said, “we’ll be willing to waive the new member fee of $2,995 if you sign up with us today, but you’ll need to purchase a minimum of 2,500 points with us as well.” We told them there was no way we’d gamble with our Monarch points when they couldn’t tell us what the exchange rate was based on and because there is no example of how many Diamond points will be needed to stay at any of the Monarch resorts, there is no way for us to quantify the value of Diamond’s points system. To this, the woman supervisor said, “I just showed you a number of examples of how many points would be required to stay at different Diamond resorts.” I retorted, “I haven’t stayed at any of these places, I haven’t seen the stats on these rooms, a list of the amenities, or more than one picture of the front of the resort. I cannot possible assess the value of a one bedroom at these resorts we’ve never been to or had the chance to research.

With that, we said we would not be switching to Diamond at this time and they asked us to sign a form that said we acknowledged we were offered the deal where they’d waive the $2,995 entrance fee and it would not be available to us again. We refused to sign it. I told them it was not fair to be given an ultimatum when we only wanted an update on the goings on of the company. Especially when there were so many unanswered questions and we had not been given substantial time to review the Diamond program or their many properties.

They did not make us sign it and neither should anyone else. This sales pitch was the worst I’ve ever heard, we were literally floored by the unprecedented approach they took in trying to convince us to switch with minimal information being provided. Why would anyone make a decision of that magnitude based on hearsay and speculation?!?!? Until Diamond can offer rock solid information about how they are converting Monarch owners and are able to give comparison points rates for the existing Monarch properties using their points system, it is absurd that anyone would even consider switching over.

Don’t be fooled by their pitch, don’t buy into something where a company is asking you to gamble with the value of your existing timeshare and they have no way to give you a quantified value to compare your existing points to.

You made a wise move by not buying in that situation. I would not have either, and you are talkiing with a very happy DRI owner. You need to get more information as you stated. At the very least, you want to make sure that the value of the points you have now will have the same transfer value in DRI points. You want to make sure you can not only get those three weeks in a one bedroom, but you also want to make sure you can get the same three weeks in the same seasons you could get it in your Monarch system. For example, when my original timeshare points from Epic Resorts allowed me to get a two bedroom unit during peak season, Christmas & New Years, in Scottdale, Arizona. However, when Sunterra (pre DRI) bought Epic Resorts and implemented their points system on the surface it looked as if I would still have 2 bedrooms all year. However, I did not realize that there was a high season and a peak season in the Sunterra system. Epic had a red season which was their peak season and I did not realize that red season did not include Sunterra's peak season. It was not until I tried again to make reservations at Christmas time a few years later that I learned I did not have enough points and I was very, very upset with them and myself for missing that detail.

The salesman will do just about anything to get you to sign on the dotted line. There is no way you can make an informed decision on switching until DRI has put together a conversion matrix for you to compare their point values to what you currently have. That will happen within a year. I would just be patient and as Doug suggested enjoy what you have and in time you will be able to compare what DRI has to offer. There are many happy DRI owners that look to maximize their ownership. There are some that are unhappy right now at the Kauai Resort at Poipu because a major special assessment was placed upon them for almost $6000 last year. The resort had major damage. A water intrusion problem that was not handled prior to DRI's buying the company that owned it. I believe the damage was caused by a hurricane a while back. The owners are suing DRI because of that assessment. On a positve note, DRI does offer lots of flexibility, opportunities to get a lot out of your points, lots of choices to take advantage of DRI resorts and others, and a variety of locations. I don't live far to Monarch resorts in Capistrano and DRI in time will give them a much needed face lift and refurbishment. Your maintenance fees may go up as well, but when you see the improvements in time you may find it worth it. With that said, continue to be vigilante before making your next move.