• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2011] Anyone used "Donate for a Cause?"

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Posted an obselete link in an obselete thread Perhaps a lock is in order

This is what I can still see

Clark Howard is no longer recommending DonateforaCause.org as a legitimate way to get rid of a timeshare

For the last eight years, Clark has guided timeshare owners who wanted to get rid of their obligation to DonateforaCause.org. This group allowed you to donate your timeshare to charity and claim a tax deduction of up to $5,000 with no costs involved. It eliminated all maintenance fees, taxes ...12:00 a.m. Monday, Aug. 9, 2010 Comments (31)
The link takes me to 31 user comments about the article, but not the article, they have left the headline and summary on the website. Most of the user comments were favorable to DFC

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I once went to contract with DFC to buy a unit for $1 with free closing and free usage. They had told the seller that they would get a tax deduction of $20K. The seller went with the deal but never received the proper ducuments for the $20K deduction. They kept asking for them and DFC kept saying "That's what similar units are valued at". The final notes that I could see were DFC notating that "Seller is asking for an appraisal". I doubt they received anything official but maybe a piece of paper with a slew of disclaimers. I have never seen DFC's paperwork from the seller side but I imagine it cannot possible support what they verbally claim in order to convince someone to pay a large up front fee.

CrazyAcres

TUG Member
Reaction score
if this is the people on ebay selling ts's with no closing costs or any other fees - i was gonna buy one on there at silverleaf in fox river but had sent them at least 4 emails and pms asking for sure that there would be no surprise costs if i got the auctions and no one ever got back with me to answer any questions about it

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
if this is the people on ebay selling ts's with no closing costs or any other fees - i was gonna buy one on there at silverleaf in fox river but had sent them at least 4 emails and pms asking for sure that there would be no surprise costs if i got the auctions and no one ever got back with me to answer any questions about it

It's only because of the volume they process. They are safe to buy from. I had one with them and it went through just fine. How they handle problems is the true test. I had another that advertised free usage. When I asked them to book a week prior to beginning the deed recording there was nothing available. They offered me $100 or a full refund and I opted for the refund. They processed it immediately. I would not expect any hidden cost if you are buying. Selling is another matter.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks much for the info ! that puts my mind at ease.. always scared of being scammed with extra fees - lol :D

To guard against this make sure the purchase agreement matches the ad. The purchase doc has to disclose everything. I also keep the original ad just in case. You have to save the HTML to your computer because eBay will purge it at 60 days and many closings take longer. Unknown fees from reputable sellers has more to do with sloppiness than being scammed but you want to cover your bases so you have ground to stand on later if it comes up. Make sure you know who is responsible for the current year maintenance fees. Make sure it is clear.