• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] Successful cancellation of Westgate purchase

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The cancellation/rescission instructions can be quite hard to find for Wastegate. They should be in the folder, possibly behind a flap, velcro or zipper.
Send the cancellation via certified mail, return receipt requested.

Feel free to drop the items off, take pictures, get signatures, and hand them a copy of the 'already mailed cancellation letter' Make sure you get a piece of paper that acknowledges the return of the items.

Just don't fall for any tricks or better offers.

I respectfully disagree, in small part. No possible good can come from a "personal visit". It's inviting being subjected to some "browbeating" and / or an aggressive song and dance routine performed to the catchy tune "Salvage that Sale".

I would send the rescission letter by certified mail, all the other junk back by cheapest method --- and never again communicate with anyone associated in any way with Westgate; not by phone, email, text, in person or by smoke signals.

Just my own personal opinion and recommendation. :shrug:

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Yup @theo , that is the safe approach....

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Day all.
My husband and I had bought a timeshare on April 14 2018 and came home and realized it was a big mistake, now I am busy writing the cancellation letter and I have a few questions as to, if we live right close to the address westagate resort 2081 old winter garden road, ocoee, Florida 34761, is it fine if we personally hand deliver the letter with the rest of the stuff we got ( laptop and briefcase) at the address mentioned above or is it best to use the UPS mail delivery system? we are still within the 10 day period and would like to get this done ASAP!

Can I also add on the cancellation letter that we are hand delivering it and would like a receipt or confirmation upon delivering the letter.?

any additional information on how we can go about this will be so helpful,

Thank you in advance.

The ONLY way you can be sure to cancel and get ALL your money back is to follow the instructions PRECISELY. Do not deviate whatsoever because you will risk being able to obtain a full cancelation and full refund. Use USPS Certified Mail with Return Receipt Requested. DO NOT wait; do it right away for your own benefit.

You can buy the exact same thing on the resale market for as little as $1 if you really want, but I would not advise anyone to buy into the Westgate system.

Jessy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Villa Resort
I got my cancellation letter from Westgate Resort!! It went through!!!! All of our names are on it and it says the timeshare unit “agreement” has been cancelled! Woohoo. They opened a $500 credit card in my name as part of the deposit. There’s a $350 return and I have a balance of $150 because I haven’t shipped the member papers and tablet yet. I will do it on Monday. I’m so happy! Just wanted to give you guys an update

WackyLucy

Reaction score
I got my cancellation letter from Westgate Resort!! It went through!!!! All of our names are on it and it says the timeshare unit “agreement” has been cancelled! Woohoo. They opened a $500 credit card in my name as part of the deposit. There’s a $350 return and I have a balance of $150 because I haven’t shipped the member papers and tablet yet. I will do it on Monday. I’m so happy! Just wanted to give you guys an update

Good news. It's fortunate that there are laws giving developers absolutely no choice other than to process a cancellation which has been submitted properly and on time. They didn't actually do you any favors --- they simply complied with the law.

If you had already returned the "other materials" as was suggested to you previously, you could now cancel that credit card permanently. However, you will have to now leave the card active until you return the junk and a credit for the returned junk is applied to the card before cancelling that card.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got my cancellation letter from Westgate Resort!! It went through!!!! All of our names are on it and it says the timeshare unit “agreement” has been cancelled!

Awesome! Now you can take the time you need to research all the ins and outs of owning and using timeshares. Don't jump into anything too quickly, even if you are offered one for free. A good suggestion would be to try renting from current owners for the first one or two vacations you go on to test out timesharing.

Jessy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Villa Resort
Good news. It's fortunate that there are laws giving developers absolutely no choice other than to process a cancellation which has been submitted properly and on time. They didn't actually do you any favors --- they simply complied with the law.

If you had already returned the "other materials" as was suggested to you previously, you could now cancel that credit card permanently. However, you will have to now leave the card active until you return the junk and a credit for the returned junk is applied to the card before cancelling that card.

Yes I know it’s the law. I’m just happy I received the letter!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
thread still delivering good westgate news since 2008!!! =)

Iris Mantlo

Reaction score
Im in the process of trying to cancel my timeshare that I stupidly signed up for on 4/20/18. On Monday 4/23/18 I sent my rescission letter and all materials to the address on the CD per the contract. Sent it NDA with send reciept. Here it is Thursday 4/26/18 and my package hasn't been delivered. I'm a mess and can't sleep. I plan on going to post office today to find out why its held up at the Ocoee po. Anything I need to know or can do to make sure it gets cancelled within the rescission 10 day limit?

Iris Mantlo

Reaction score
Also to add, what does it mean in the contract when it says...occupancy prior to rescission for which no seperate payment is made is a contract benefit with an agreed upon value of $200 per night?

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Im in the process of trying to cancel my timeshare that I stupidly signed up for on 4/20/18. On Monday 4/23/18 I sent my rescission letter and all materials to the address on the CD per the contract. Sent it NDA with send reciept. Here it is Thursday 4/26/18 and my package hasn't been delivered. I'm a mess and can't sleep. I plan on going to post office today to find out why its held up at the Ocoee po. Anything I need to know or can do to make sure it gets cancelled within the rescission 10 day limit?

I have no idea what "NDA" means, but if you sent the rescission correspondence by USPS certified mail (as you should have), you obtained a certified mail receipt from the USPS counter bearing a hand-stamped postmark date. That postmark date is the only date that really matters in terms of complying with the applicable state law deadline to rescind (cancel). It doesn't matter when they receive it, as long as you can document and prove a timely postmark date if challenged.

If you sent your rescission by some means or method other than USPS certified mail, I suggest you repeat the exercise all over again and utilize USPS certified mail while you are still within the rescission period to be able to do so. Tick tock.

The other mumbo jumbo you asked about refers to potential charges if you actually occupied the premises before rescission, which you may not have done anyhow, so don't fret over that particular mumbo jumbo. If you owe that money, they will deduct it from your refund, but that is highly unlikely (IMnsHO).

Do not answer any incoming phone calls from unknown numbers during this rescission period. No possible good can come from any conversation with hungry Westgate sales weasels desperately seeking to salvage their commission --- and any such conversation would be legally meaningless anyhow in regard to your signed contract and / or its' cancellation.

It may be weeks before you see refund of your deposit. By law, it could take up to 45 days, but likely won't take that long.

Last edited:

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also to add, what does it mean in the contract when it says...occupancy prior to rescission for which no seperate payment is made is a contract benefit with an agreed upon value of $200 per night?

It means that if you were given a free night or two as an inducement to buy and then you rescind you will be charged $200 per night for each "free" night you stayed. They may or may not actually charge you if you received a free night. I did this at Westgate Smokey Mountains 2 years ago. We bought a 3 night package for like $99 that included a mandatory presentation. We ended up buying and complained that they wasted our whole day- so they offered us an additional free night which we gladly accepted. I found TUG and rescinded the contract- but they did not charge us for the free night or the free new owners breakfast that the contract legally allows them to charge for as well.

FamilyEsq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ESJ - Puerto Rico
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North
Hello All,

I am helping a family friend cancel a Westgate timeshare they purchased on December 22, 2023 for 18k. I reviewed the Contract of Sale. There is no form Notice of Cancellation. The contract gives you a mailing address and 10 days to cancel. Is there any specific language that has to be included? Is there anything besides "I hereby exercise my right under applicable state law to cancel this contract"? I reviewed the Florida statutes and couldn't find any language. Thank you.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am helping a family friend cancel a Westgate timeshare they purchased on December 22, 2023 for 18k. I reviewed the Contract of Sale. There is no form Notice of Cancellation. The contract gives you a mailing address and 10 days to cancel. Is there any specific language that has to be included? Is there anything besides "I hereby exercise my right under applicable state law to cancel this contract"? I reviewed the Florida statutes and couldn't find any language. Thank you.
No specific language is necessary. Plain English that conveys intent to not carry out the purchase. Send it USPS Certified (w/return receipt if the sender wants notification)

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Good move for your friend to cancel. He likely can buy the same thing on eBay for just $1.00

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please assist your friend to cancel this contract and refer them to TUG website section Advice Section.
Wishing you and your friend a Happy New Year. You just saved your friend $18K.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
[SPAM deleted]
Since your highly dubious and entirely unconvincing first post / shill endorsement is very likely to be promptly removed by moderators here, please allow me to wish you Happy Holidays — and Adios — before you get sent off to disappear back into the ether. :wave:

Last edited:

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
Hello All,

Make sure that everyone who signed the contract also signs the recission letter.

FamilyEsq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ESJ - Puerto Rico
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North
Thank you all. Notice of Cancelation sent via certified mail return receipt requested.