• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] Peregrine Townhomes San Luis Pass-Whacked by Ike

Texasbelle

TUG Member
Reaction score
About trading value, what is "marginal" to you is not to RCI. Beach location is everything. We do not own here, but enjoyed a week there before we owned in Galveston. I have no idea how you would get all the owners to agree to sell.

donnaval

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Could you tell us what the update said? The site seems to be down now.

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is the info. from the web site:

September 28, 2008

Both the Windstorm and Flood Insurance Companies have been contacted and have responded back to Peregrine. The Flood Insurance adjusters have been assigned and will make their site assessment on October 2nd. The Windstorm Insurance adjuster has been assigned but a site assessment date has not been set. A property inspection by the State of Texas and Brazoria County officials is scheduled for the first week of October.

Peregrine management inspected the property on September 22, 23, 24 and 28. A brief summary of their findings is as follows: The units themselves are in surprisingly good shape – most of the siding is in place, portions of the roofs on 4 units have been damaged (a detailed roof inspection has not been completed), only one window of the units was broken out, some of the units received no water damage but the effect of wind driven rain is not known at this time.

Most of the known to date damage occurred at ground level. The laundry building was washed away. The swimming pool area was filled with debris from the properties located across the road from Peregrine when the storm surge reversed itself back to the Gulf. There is major water erosion to the slabs under the units and to the roadways of the property. The bulkhead surrounding the property on three sides was breached by wave action in four areas. The office had two broken windows but received no storm surge – how we don’t know why. The water well, sewer and water systems received major damage.

While this summary is not all-inclusive with regard to other potential damage, it gives you a feeling of how Peregrine fared through Hurricane Ike.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 20, 2008

Peregrine took a direct hit from Hurricane Ike on September 13, 2008. The roads to and from Peregrine are washed out with sections missing, making them non-passable. Damage assessment of Peregrine has started today, September 20, 2008, when authorities allowed access to the island. We will be updating the web page as information becomes available.

Board of Directors, Peregrine Town Home Association

Happytravels

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
owners letter

New Update!!!

stugy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
there seems to be a problem with that site. Can you tell me what it said.
Thanks
Pat

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would someone please post the info. My Windows 98 (I know, antique!) won't download Acrobat. Thanks.

stugy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Was finally able to get the update. Here goes

PEREGRINE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION, INC.
10202 Bluewater Hwy. Surfside Beach, Freeport, TX 77541
Telephone (979) 239-1433 Fax (979) 233-4562
Web Site: www.peregrineresort.net
October 5, 2008
Dear Peregrine Owners,
As most know, Hurricane Ike came ashore on the Texas coast in the vicinity of Peregrine Town Homes on
September 13, 2008. Brazoria County officials issued a mandatory evacuation order on September 10th and
Peregrine completed an orderly evacuation by that afternoon. Many thanks to Sam Wax, Site Manager, and his
staff for getting everyone out of the area safely.
Hurricane Ike came ashore as a class II Hurricane with sustained wind in excess of 110 miles per hour and a 12-
foot tidal surge with breaking waves on top of the surge. On September 20th, when Brazoria County allowed
access to the island, Sam and his maintenance staff made the first inspection of Peregrine. A brief summary of
their findings is as follows. The highway to Peregrine in both directions has large sections that are washed out.
Electrical service from Surfside to Peregrine has about 6 miles of electrical poles and lines that will have to be
replaced before Peregrine has electrical power. At Peregrine, the laundry building was washed away. The
swimming pool area was filled with debris from the properties located across the road from Peregrine when the
storm surge reversed itself back to the Gulf. There was major water erosion to the slabs under the units and to
the roadways of the property. The bulkhead surrounding the property on three sides was breached by wave
action in four areas. The water well, sewer and water systems received major damage due to the surge erosion.
With regards to the units, most of the siding is in place, but we have major damage to 5 unit roofs and a lesser
degree of damage to the remaining unit roofs. While this summary is not all-inclusive with regard to other
potential damage, it gives you a feeling of how Peregrine faired through Hurricane Ike.
Both the Windstorm and the Flood Insurance Companies have been notified. The Flood Insurance adjusters
have been assigned and they made their site assessment on October 2nd. The Windstorm Insurance adjuster
has been assigned, and their site inspection is set to occur the week of October 13th. A property inspection by
the State of Texas and Brazoria County officials occurred on October 2nd .
Once the complete damage assessment has been made, we will be in better position to estimate the time frame
for the repairs to begin and the future re-open date.
We feel that it is very important to keep the Owner informed of the repair progress in a timely manner, while
minimizing the cost and time required for 1500 individual mail outs. Please see the Peregrine web site
www.peregrineresort.net for future updates (“Hurricane Ike Status” page) as information becomes available.
Current plans are to update the web page on a weekly basis.
Peregrine is currently in the progress of setting up a temporary office on the mainland. Once this office is
established with phone lines and Internet access, the web page will be updated with this information. The office
staff request that questions to Peregrine is sent via the web site “Contact Us” page, (once their Internet is
operational), and they will be answered by e-mail reply in the order received.
On behalf of the Board of Directors and the Peregrine Staff, we want to reassure each of you that every possible
action is being taken to repair and restore Peregrine as quickly as possible. Please check the web site often for
further updates.
Sincerely,
Board of Directors
Peregrine Homeowners Association, Inc.

reddiablosv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marginal.

About trading value, what is "marginal" to you is not to RCI. Beach location is everything. We do not own here, but enjoyed a week there before we owned in Galveston. I have no idea how you would get all the owners to agree to sell.

Marginal yes, Heh, more power to ya if you disagree! But, if you want to put your money were your mouth is ,, drop me an email. I will sell my unit to you for cheap!!! Just don'e ask me to pay the Hurricane special assesment. ;)

Happytravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
New update with pictures

Its not looking good for owners right now.:bawl: :bawl:

The Windstorm insurance adjuster made his initial Peregrine site inspection on October 10th. Additional site inspections by Windstorm are being planned. Approximately 50% of the roofs received wind damage with unit interior damage. Total damage assessment of other units is not completed at this time.

The Peregrine’s temporary office became operational on October 13th. The new phone # is 979-848-8899 and mailing address is 2815 CR 543, Angleton, TX 77515. The old phone # 979-239-1433 will continue to roll over to the new number and mail sent to the old address will be forwarded to the new address.

Before and after Hurricane Ike’s landfall, Peregrine has been in contact with RCI and II. In order for RCI and II to conduct Peregrine business, both companies have requested Peregrine to estimate a potential re-opening date for the resort. RCI and II understand that the road and electrical power to Peregrine are damaged. Repairs to Peregrine can not be started until the electrical infrastructure and access to Peregrine is repaired. With this repair uncertainty, all parties have agreed to set the tentative re-opening date for 9/27/09.

Click here for a 10/11/08 article in the Houston Chronicle Newspaper on the status of the Blue Water Highway to Peregrine.

Click here for pictures of Peregrine post Hurricane Ike.

As requested in the letter to the Owners, please send questions to the Web site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone considered taking the insurance money; using some of it to tear down the resort; and sending the rest to the owners. I know that no two timeshare are the same but in today's market the distribution would probably pay for a new Week at another resort with maybe something left over vs. saddling owners with a large Special Assessment.

George

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
No one knows how much the insurance companies will cough up. No one knows for sure that there will be a S.A. Let's wait and stay positive. Ya, I know it's hard. :)

Last edited:

Happytravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
be thankful..

Yes, I know it's hard. I own three weeks there and one in Galveston. :bawl: If they stay closed for as long as they say, it will mean three weeks I will be out of pocket. (MF's):bawl: :annoyed:

I usually bank my week 11 but last year we decided to go in 2009 :confused: . Then my week 31 usually rents with not too much trouble. My week in Galveston is for Christmas week. I know that Galveston will not be ready by then either.

I am staying positive through the whole process. There is a lot of devastation that still needs to be cleaned up. Let's be thankful that we don't live there. We can also look at it another way................my unit 10 and two others burned down to the ground a few years back.....We lost our usage that year but, we got completely rebuilt units with new everything. I did not get a SA then. :cheer:

I really don't want to go through the hassle of finding another unit to buy (at another resort)....
these are close to home and really do serve their purpose for me. Weather we decide to bank them or go..

Last edited:

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm going to try and deposit my June, 2009 week with RCI today, via their website. Will report back with results.

Update:I could not dep. online & when I called they said "sorry". They indicated that if your week was in Sept., 2009 or later, they might be able to bank it. This confirms what Marilyn said above. Dang! $460 down the drain.

Last edited:

Happytravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
I'm going to try and deposit my June, 2009 week with RCI today, via their website. Will report back with results.

Update:I could not dep. online & when I called they said "sorry". They indicated that if your week was in Sept., 2009 or later, they might be able to bank it. This confirms what Marilyn said above. Dang! $460 down the drain.

They did not say that we would or would not get a replacement week. So let's stay positive.

Inverness by the Sea in Galveston did write a letter saying that we would loose our usage and not get anything in return...This is my first year of owning there too.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They did not say that we would or would not get a replacement week. So let's stay positive.

Have you ever heard of RCI giving out replacement weeks? Did they do that for any of the hurricane victims in Florida? That would be a nice gesture. Think positive. :)

Happytravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
Peregrine

Have you ever heard of RCI giving out replacement weeks? Did they do that for any of the hurricane victims in Florida? That would be a nice gesture. Think positive. :)

RCI gave me a week back when I was evacuated (they closed the resort) in Aug this year. So I guess you could say yes they have. but if we haven't deposited with RCI then they have nothing to give back. What I am asking for is the resort to give us a replacement week. They said it was too early to tell what they where going to do..

Happytravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
Peregrine

I bought my first week (back in 2001) at this resort from a company called ICW. Has anyone else purchased from them?

I feel like they are slandering the resort managment and staff.....Saying they are eating at the reserves...Telling me it is a family run resort (father and two daughters which I already knew).

They called two days ago and I returned their call yesterday. They want to deed back the week we own to the resort and LET US BUY A VACATION CLUB.

Here is the outline of the whole deal:

I want to share with you this great deal we now have available!

This opportunity is really awesome because they have 6 resorts in their system through which you can trade internally! There is 1 in Texas in the Hill Country, 2 in Florida on the beach, 1 in the Dominican Republic and 2 at Lake Tahoe.

This resort in also dual affiliated! You can deposit it into either RCI or

II ( Interval International).

There are one and two bedrooms available. The yearly membership fees are as follows:

Annual Membership Biennial Membership

One Bedroom $524 $262

Two Bedroom $566 $283

Biennial means you get the week every other year EOY but you pay half a maintenance fee each year.

Annual means you get a week each year.

Below is information about the resort.

It is also a Right to Use for Perpetuity or forever.

This means you can pass it on to your heirs.

Basically it is a Vacation Club which means you get to choose which week you want each year. You are not stuck into any one set week.

Wow,

· you can trade internally,

· trade with RCI which has over 4900 resorts worldwide including Hiltons, Fairfields and Sheratons

· or trade with II which has about 1700 resorts which includes Marriotts!

· if you go during off peak season you can go for 10 days instead of 7!

· or put into any other exchange company of your choice.

All this for the low low price of $2495 plus the 2009 fees for the Biennial week and $2995 plus the 2009 fees for the Annual weeks!

If you want to join RCI it is $229 for 3 years which we can set up for you in

about 3-4 weeks from purchase. Remember, RCI has over 4900 resorts worldwide

from which to choose from!

It is a great value that usually sells from $7000-$10,000!

Our company sells at Wholesale prices which we pass onto you!

What a great gift to give your family this holiday season!

Gifts are forgotten but a vacation lasts a lifetime of wonderful memories

spent with family and close friends.

Don’t miss out on this great opportunity to have your dream vacation come true.

This is what you have been waiting for!

Great price, great value and wonderful places to go you never dreamed of!

Call now to reserve your vacation of a lifetime and enrich your family with memories

that never fade.

I look forward to speaking with you soon!

kindest regards,

WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN THE DEAL. :hysterical: :wave:

If you are let me know and I will send you the contact information....

stugy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had already deposited our week 22 at Peregrine and have also made a trade with it. I understand that already deposited weeks with RCI will be honored for trades. So glad that we deposit early.
I'm hoping there will not be a special assessment, buy hey what can you do. In this economy, we just don't need that.
Pat

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought my first week (back in 2001) at this resort from a company called ICW. Has anyone else purchased from them?

Yes. I bought a Week from them as an ultra cheap entree into RCI Points. They were straightforward and did exactly what they said they would do. No complaints from me.

I wouldn't take the deal you were offered either, but it doesn't bother me that they offer it. Just say "Thank You, but No".

George

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to share with you this great deal we now have available!

This opportunity is really awesome because they have 6 resorts in their system through which you can trade internally! There is 1 in Texas in the Hill Country, 2 in Florida on the beach, 1 in the Dominican Republic and 2 at Lake Tahoe.

This resort in also dual affiliated! You can deposit it into either RCI or

Basically it is a Vacation Club which means you get to choose which week you want each year. You are not stuck into any one set week.

If you are let me know and I will send you the contact information....

This is Perennial Vacation Club. I used to own there and it is well managed and the resorts I have been to have been nice but you can buy it for $1 on ebay.:shrug:

Happytravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
pics

ICW has proceeded to send pictures of the distruction of Peregrine. I live in Houston did she think I didn't know what it looks like there...Strange...

Happytravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
vacation club

I was looking around on various sites and found one for sale. $5.00 plus closing and transfer fee. I sent her a copy of the ad.

She said she wished she could buy it this cheap and wanted to know where I saw the ad.

So if any of you bought from this company and still own at Peregrine you just might be getting a call or letter in the mail trying to get you to give up your week either to them, or they said deed it back to resort which I am not sure they could do....

Happytravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
update

Latest update from their website.

November 7, 2008

During the last three weeks, we continued to work with the Flood and Windstorm adjusters on their damage estimates. We expect to receive their settlement offers within the next three weeks. Grounds clean up began two weeks ago. The Peregrine property next to the laundry area has had the debris removed and leveled. The debris in the pool area has also been removed. It doesn’t appear that the pool itself received any major damage, but some repairs will be required on pool walls. Bids are being obtained for ground level concrete removal and backfill of ground's area. This will be our first major expenditure and insurance settlement funds will be required before proceeding.

All of the units have now been inspected. We are using our maintenance staff to remove damaged sheet rock, carpet, kitchen cabinets and furniture from the units that we have safe access to. These units are being washed down for mold control. To date, 16 units have been completed by this process. A water well company has been contracted to see if we can salvage the existing well or bid the cost of a new one.

The county has begun the construction of a one-lane gravel road from the San Luis Pass Bridge to Peregrine. Also, the electric company has installed electric poles from the bridge to Peregrine, and this line is energized. We are working with the electric company to see if we can get a temporary electric service from the road pole to Peregrine.

The next web page update will be made, as new information is available.

Happytravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
New Update

December 22, 2008

Since the last update a lot of work has been accomplished. Tons of storm debris has be removed from the Peregrine site and moved to the county road. The county has removed this debris to their landfill. We have completed removing the dry wall material from all 26 units that were damaged by storm water, and these units have been treated for mold. The stairs to 20 units that were damaged by the storm have been demolished and removed. The roofs of all units that were damaged by the storm have had temporary repairs made. The scope of work for removal of concrete driveways undermined by the storm and sand backfill of the entire property has been completed. We are currently out for bids for this portion of the repairs. The water well repair company has visited the site, and they believe that the water well can be repaired, and a new water well is not required at this point. We have begun work with an engineering firm and county officials to determine how we are going to proceed with the sewer replacement. We continue to work with state and county officials to obtain permission to repair the bulkhead surrounding the property. We continue to work with the Windstorm and Flood Insurance companies to answer their settlement questions, and no settlements have been offered to date.