• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

(2007 thread) Shell Vacation Club (SVC) Points Knowledge thread

Picker57

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm...interesting about Kona Coast II. I wonder..is there a "rule of thumb" as to how often these places get upgrades/makeovers? We LOVED Suites at Fisherman's Wharf (this summer), and I think they'd been redone in the last year or so.

ZK

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We may be staying at Kona Coast II in March on an exchange with II. I have the week as a back-up, in case I cannot get Maui for that week.

I hope Kona Coast is decent to stay, because I will make known that we own Shell. We will see, maybe.

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
I admit to being a bit of a lowbrow, but I'm thinking "It's a great facility, on a great golf course, with a great view, and, oh yeah, it's in Hawaii. How bad can it be?" A few years ago we did notice that Paniolo's carpeting was getting tired (not to mention the dated style). By the next year it had been replaced.

Question on Maui: How easy have you found it to trade into Maui via SVC?

Mahalo,
Zach

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
So far, trading into Maui through Shell and II is impossible. But Shell has only been in II for a short while, and i entered an ongoing search for Maui. I hope to get a match, but I have about nine or ten searches ongoing for Maui. Overkill, yes, but sometime you do what you must.

I originally set up a search with my week 13 Foxrun through my regular II account, and II has matched nothing in ten months of that ongoing search. I entered a search for the BI for the same date, got a match to a 2 bed (I can only take a two bedroom) the very next day. That got me to thinking that maybe my ongoing searches wouldn't match to anything on Maui with that week 13. So I set up the search with Shell, using 4,500 points (ouch), and I used my Sheratons to set up no less than four searches for Maui.

I have ongoing searches in RCI for Maui as well, but ongoing searches do not work at all with RCI, I have been disappointed to discover.

So I have a total of eight between RCI and II, and I have another search set with Hawaiian Timeshare Exchange, and another through Trading Places. I am grasping at straws here and will take anything I can get, as long as Mom has her own room, and so do wel. Mom is 85, and we are no spring chickens.

Hoping for the best.... but I will insure anything with RCI that I get, because RCI generally doesn't have the best on Maui. If I can get Sands of Kahana, or any of the other Consolidated resorts through RCI, I will be happy. But is that going to happen now? Not likely. :crash:

Rumpled

Reaction score
We're looking at Kona Coast or Holua in August.
Advice on either one and differences in Kona Coast I and II?

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Cindy - Yeah, that's been pretty much our experience as well. SVC did get us into Maui Schooner a few years ago, after a fairly lengthy search, but I'm hoping that SFX can have access to a wider selection for our next Maui outing (this year is BI and Kauai - no problems there).

Mahalo,

ZK

Last edited:

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've stayed at Holua several times and love it. All parking is in a garage toward the front of the property, so there's a little walk to the units. The tradeoff is that there's no traffic noise. Lots of tropical greenery and spacious units. We've not stayed at Kona Coast but walked around there a bit and seen the units. It seemed "busier" by comparison, but still very nice. Again, large units. Not sure of the differences between KC I and KC II. Terriffic golf course. Enjoy !!

-----------Zach

We're looking at Kona Coast or Holua in August.
Advice on either one and differences in Kona Coast I and II?

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am now in possession of the Hawaii club bylaws, if anyone needs them, please PM me. Thanks.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Shell owners. I just picked up a small Shell package on Ebay and the closing company has sent me lots of stuff to sign - much more than any other resale transaction I've ever had. Does Shell really require copies of our Driver's Licenses and our SS#s, even though we aren't doing any financing?
Thanks

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does Shell really require copies of our Driver's Licenses and our SS#s, even though we aren't doing any financing?

For your first purchase, this seems to be SOP. Be sure to freeze your credit first with the credit reporting agencies. I don't think they really actually do a credit check, but the above poster was told they do.

Like I want some strange people in a timeshare closing office to have my SS#'s, let alone an entire timeshare operation like Shell. But I did give them our numbers and refused to give them the kids' numbers. They wouldn't let the kids be on the ownership without the numbers.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
For your first purchase, this seems to be SOP. Be sure to freeze your credit first with the credit reporting agencies. I don't think they really actually do a credit check, but the above poster was told they do.

Like I want some strange people in a timeshare closing office to have my SS#'s, let alone an entire timeshare operation like Shell. But I did give them our numbers and refused to give them the kids' numbers. They wouldn't let the kids be on the ownership without the numbers.

Okay, thanks.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Being the lazy person that I am, I wouldn't have purchased if I knew I had to go through all of that. :p My contract says I can cancel within 10 days.

Can anyone give me any motivating reasons to continue with my purchase?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

What resort group (CA, HI, AZ), how many points, and did you get some free, and what did you pay altogether?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
What resort group (CA, HI, AZ), how many points, and did you get some free, and what did you pay altogether?

1750 CA club points. My goal was to use for short stays San Fran & Napa valley mostly. I wanted the lowest possible annual dues, thinking I could just rent additional from Shell when needed.

Now, I am looking at the 2 pages of contract that need to be notarized and not seeing a time in the very near future that my husband can get to a notary with me.

I paid $1., closing and transfer were free. Shell is going to charge my card $45. when they do the transfer for MFs.

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Being the lazy person that I am, I wouldn't have purchased if I knew I had to go through all of that. :p My contract says I can cancel within 10 days.

Hmm...didn't realize there was a recission period on eBay purchases; good to know. It IS important to have all your points in the same resort group or "Club" - otherwise the MF's are a lot higher. Also important that your resort group is the area which you would use most.

All in all, we've not regretted our Shell involvement. But it's also been nice to learn (via TUG) how to leverage the system for maximum benefits).

--------Zach

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hmm...didn't realize there was a recission period on eBay purchases; good to know. It IS important to have all your points in the same resort group or "Club" - otherwise the MF's are a lot higher. Also important that your resort group is the area which you would use most.

The contract recission may just be part of CJ Timeshares contracts. I decided to cancel my purchase. I just don't feel like giving out all that info to a third party. :(

team2win

Reaction score
new shell vacation club owner

Well, I finally joined the Shell Vacation Club brotherhood in the Hawaii Club and got 11,500 points... so far I'm enjoying the point and play feature.. seems like most resorts are available with enough advance notice...

I read this entire thread and not fully sure of the II account and how it works, but seems like I would contact shell to worry about exchanges.. Since I live in Cali, this seems like a perfect fit...

Here's my question however, it seems that if you own in the Hawaii Club and purchase another club, you would pay the club fees of $152 each approximately? Would Shell combine the clubs and points so you have one club fee?

Last edited:

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No Shell would not combine the clubs, you would have to pay two fees. So if you ever add more points, they should be from the same club.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Inn at the Park?

Has Inn at the Park in San Diego been added to a Shell club yet?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has Inn at the Park in San Diego been added to a Shell club yet?
I am on the Shell site now and nothing new in San Diego. Shell manages some that we cannot reserve as Shell members (at least not as resale members, maybe?).

Mickey Moe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received an email the other day where they had discounted cash prices for Inn on the Park.

I also read that the renovations will be finished in October. Maybe they will add them at that time?

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
I see you're from Ontario

I received an email the other day where they had discounted cash prices for Inn on the Park.

I also read that the renovations will be finished in October. Maybe they will add them at that time?

Since most of the Shell resorts are out west, have you found Shell to be useful? How are you using the points?

starlifter

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the Inn at the Park in December. Renovation was to start in Jan on half the building and be complete in April. At that time they were to do the other half of the building and be done in the fall. Great location across the street from Balboa Park. Toured the "preview" room for the remodel and it looked really nice, modern and chic.