• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2007] Taking food into Mexico

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is not true about alcohol and wine. Personally we don't ever do it as we don't drink adult beverages. However many people carry loose bottles of liquor and wine on the plane, especially if they bought it in the duty free store. On a trip to Nuevo Vallarta, a bottle of liquor fell out of the overhead bin when somebody opened the bin during the flight. The bottle hit my wife smack on her head which caused her some severe headaches and swelling. She had to go to the doctor at the Grand Mayan. The people who owned the bottle never said a word to her about it. I hope that people would realize that stuff in the overhead bins shift around and they would be more careful with where they place loose bottles etc.

How incredibly rude. What about the flight attendants? Any response such as some ice for her head? Any apologies at all?

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
How incredibly rude. What about the flight attendants? Any response such as some ice for her head? Any apologies at all?

The flight attendants did very little other than give her some ice. It was bleeding as well. We did have to fill out a form. This was on Continental Airlines. After that incident and how poorly they handled our delayed flight back, we vowed that we would never fly on Continental again.

Colorado Belle

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always pack a small suitcase with hard to get food items for my month long vacations in Mexico. I take lots of cheese and frozen turkey, packaged tuna, and cans of nuts and pesto sauce, salad dressing.things taht are either hard to find or very expensive. No need to take fresh veggies and fruits as they are plentiful and inexpensive. I used to smuggle lemons in, but now Walmart carries them!

I usually find inexpensive liquor in Mexico but imported is higher price if you go that route. If you rent a car, the shopping center right outside the airport has a lovely grocery store that I use frequently.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
. . . If you rent a car, the shopping center right outside the airport has a lovely grocery store that I use frequently.

A grocery stop can also be added on to some of the private van services @$30-35 for an hour.

MLR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: Taking food into Mexico via Air

I have read these posts and no one has mentioned anything about signing a form declaring taking food into Mexico - I know we have to sign something similar when flying to Hawaii. Does it just pertain to agricultural products?

We would love to check a bag full of 'staples' - pasta, crackers, peanut butter, cereal, that sort of thing. I was going to put everything into one checked bag - figuring if it was confiscated - no big deal - just a loss of that one bag.

Has anyone taken food items of quantity - meaning a bag full - through customs in Cancun RECENTLY?
:confused:

Tropical lady

Reaction score
a few things we do...

We take a third case between the 2 of us which contains cereal, bread, crystal lite tea mix, salt/pepper, triscuits/crackers, tuna packets (not cans), coffee/tea bags, art sweetners, PB, jelly, bagles, coffee filters, paring knife, wine opener (never want to get caught short), zip lock baggies, napkins.
We have done this the last few times with no problem. Also in the 3rd case there is usually room for anything we can't get into our first 2! Then coming back this case is for the laundry bag with dirty clothes. We did this to Cancun in 4/2010 and 11/2010 to Nuevo.
If asked I do tell them what is inside and the dollar amount, but it never was an issue. Just don't do cans or fresh meats/fruits/vegs. We use the cardboard box for saltine crackers to put the loaf of bread into....works great. Tupperware (plastic) containers for cereal and some of the other things also gives you containers to use while there in addition to protecting crackers, etc. All for convenience in the beginning. This gives us a few days to settle in before doing a grocery routine since we do eat dinners out most of the time. Also, so far, the 3rd case is still free since 2 free each for international.
Hope this helps......

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have read these posts and no one has mentioned anything about signing a form declaring taking food into Mexico - I know we have to sign something similar when flying to Hawaii. Does it just pertain to agricultural products?

We would love to check a bag full of 'staples' - pasta, crackers, peanut butter, cereal, that sort of thing. I was going to put everything into one checked bag - figuring if it was confiscated - no big deal - just a loss of that one bag.

Has anyone taken food items of quantity - meaning a bag full - through customs in Cancun RECENTLY?
:confused:

We go to Cancun and Playa del Carmen 2-3 times a year. We always have a checked bag with my protein drink, frozen coffee cream, coffee, cashews and pistachio nuts, cinnamon, english muffins, and almond butter. We only cook breakfast and have snacks in our units--all other meals are eaten out. We have never had a problem bringing these items.

MLR

TUG Member
Reaction score
We take a third case between the 2 of us which contains cereal, bread, crystal lite tea mix, salt/pepper, triscuits/crackers, tuna packets (not cans), coffee/tea bags, art sweetners, PB, jelly, bagles, coffee filters, paring knife, wine opener (never want to get caught short), zip lock baggies, napkins.

This was pretty much what we had in mind. I am assuming if you made it with PB and J that we can too :0) Just wanted to take a few things to get us by for a few days so we don't HAVE to go to Playa if we don't want to. We will probably eat evening meals at the restaurants at the resort - staying at the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya.

Loved your tip about the cracker box for bread! Would never have thought of that :0) :)

If anyone has anything to tell about this resort - would love to hear it. Have gotten some great tips from several Tuggers already. Thanks everyone!

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
. . . staying at the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya.

. . .

If anyone has anything to tell about this resort - would love to hear it. Have gotten some great tips from several Tuggers already. Thanks everyone!

Are you staying at the Grand Mayan or the Royal Mayan, or both? Your other post says Royal Mayan.....

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always pack a small suitcase with hard to get food items for my month long vacations in Mexico. I take lots of cheese and frozen turkey, packaged tuna, and cans of nuts and pesto sauce, salad dressing.things taht are either hard to find or very expensive. No need to take fresh veggies and fruits as they are plentiful and inexpensive. I used to smuggle lemons in, but now Walmart carries them!

I usually find inexpensive liquor in Mexico but imported is higher price if you go that route. If you rent a car, the shopping center right outside the airport has a lovely grocery store that I use frequently.

Wow. Where in Mexico do you stay? Wherever I've stayed, all of these items are not only readily available at the grocery stores, but the same general cost as at home.

Are there no grocery stores where you folks (and those in the other posts) stay? :confused:

Last edited:

Tropical lady

Reaction score
this is vacation!

Phydeaux,
Vacation means convenience, relaxation, and fun. To get there with most everything for breakfast and snacks with cocktails (convenience) allows us to relax/play (relaxation), and NOT have to do a grocery run (fun) = vacation in my book. On site deli provides most of the other fresh foods/staples we would want and you are not paying taxi/shuttle r/t for the wonderful experience on a beautiful day of making a food run. Both options, onsite deli or trip to a grocery store, are equal costs in the end.
We do eat most dinners out or room service.
If I'm going to the next town it is for fun shopping and dining.
Oh, I did the Walmart/Megastore experience because that "was the thing to do". First time interesting...after that not on my vacation time! It is not to say I would not ever grocery shop, but I get to save that fun for home.

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Phydeaux,
Vacation means convenience, relaxation, and fun. To get there with most everything for breakfast and snacks with cocktails (convenience) allows us to relax/play (relaxation), and NOT have to do a grocery run (fun) = vacation in my book. On site deli provides most of the other fresh foods/staples we would want and you are not paying taxi/shuttle r/t for the wonderful experience on a beautiful day of making a food run. Both options, onsite deli or trip to a grocery store, are equal costs in the end.
We do eat most dinners out or room service.
If I'm going to the next town it is for fun shopping and dining.
Oh, I did the Walmart/Megastore experience because that "was the thing to do". First time interesting...after that not on my vacation time! It is not to say I would not ever grocery shop, but I get to save that fun for home.

To each their own. We don't find a trip to the grocery store as an inconvenience, or shortening our vacation time at all, but a fun experience to purchase foods native to the area. We're not "punched in" so to speak, while on vacation. I waste time doing other non nonsensical things. ;) Since we have a full kitchen, most of our dinners are prepared with pleasure in our villa, with fresh foods that are not found in our local grocery stores. Packing a bunch of food in my suitcase & traveling with it doesn't sound like my idea of a vacation. Again, to each their own.

Tropical lady

Reaction score
yes, to each his own

You are correct about to each his own. But "wow, where do you stay....are there no grocery stores"?
Yes, we have a full kitchen and could cook all the time. We could have the chef come to the unit and prepare a meal. No, the grocery run is not all that much fun. Been there done that. We do take advantage of local fare by eating with locals in some of the best restaurants, attending cabaret and art shows, not by staying in.
It appears that there are those of us who do not mind taking some things, no big deal, so that we are set from the start. I'm spoiled with a small candle for the table or balcony, my cocktail napkins, etc and I don't have to go running around...they are there.
I think these posts show that many find the upfront preparation worthwhile.
The more important thing is not if or how much you take, it is vacation time!!

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are correct about to each his own. But "wow, where do you stay....are there no grocery stores"?Yes, we have a full kitchen and could cook all the time. We could have the chef come to the unit and prepare a meal. No, the grocery run is not all that much fun. Been there done that. We do take advantage of local fare by eating with locals in some of the best restaurants, attending cabaret and art shows, not by staying in.
It appears that there are those of us who do not mind taking some things, no big deal, so that we are set from the start. I'm spoiled with a small candle for the table or balcony, my cocktail napkins, etc and I don't have to go running around...they are there.
I think these posts show that many find the upfront preparation worthwhile.
The more important thing is not if or how much you take, it is vacation time!!

To clarify once again, I was referring to this remark "things taht are either hard to find or very expensive." I have not found the foods items mentioned in that post to be either difficult to find, nor very expensive, hence my inquiry where in Mexico do you stay. However, Mexico is a very large country, so I was simply curious what area of Mexico they were referring to. Make sense?

Last edited:

Tropical lady

Reaction score
yes, it did make sense....

I think the "wow" statement, etc came across to me not as you intended. We were merely sharing ideas and helpful hints. I am always open to suggestions. Yes, plenty is available and price is not the issue, it is convenience. I do admit, as if you couldn't tell, that grocery shopping is and never has been a favorite of mine, especially on vacation! I am all for cutting back on expenses where I can also and not adverse to cooking in the unit. I don't want to stop along the way from the airport to shop or any other time.....I'm not convinced it is fun. With my dry stuff, candles, and napkins I am set to go and the resort deli is right there.
Thanks for the clarification of what you meant.
BTW....the cardboard saltine box for the loaf of bread I previously mentioned really does work great.
Thanks Curt for the list.

MLR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't mind me

Are you staying at the Grand Mayan or the Royal Mayan, or both? Your other post says Royal Mayan.....

Don't mind me - :doh: We are staying at the Grand Mayan in December 2011 and the Royal Mayan in April 2012. So, pardon if I get them confused. Too many Mayans for one tired brain.

Does anyone know if there are eggs and milk for sale at the grocery @ the Grand Mayan? Can we take a bottle of Aunt Jemima syrup in our checked bag of staples? I will enclose it in a large ziplock just in case. We plan to only eat dinner at the restaurants.

Since we are full time caregivers - and in order to get a week of respite we have to pay for an AI WEEK for an elderly parent at an Assisted Living facility - we are just looking for a way to save a bit of ca$h. :eek:

Any suggestions appreciated :)

MLR

TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked out the Cancun Airport's site

I followed Curt's link and this is what I found:

"As a rule of thumb you are allowed to bring into Mexico whatever you need for the time period you will be staying in Mexico. You are not allowed to bring food, fruits and/or products that are not "company" packed and sealed. And if you are bringing food or products they are [I]allowed only if you need them because of a special diet or for medical reasons."[/I]

Think we may have a problem? Also, what is the form you must fill out?
("During the inbound flight, you will receive and need to fill out a customs form (Hacienda).")

Will this cause an automatic search of our bags? Is it me or is this getting complicated. Maybe a trip into Playa for groceries would be simpler after all. :confused: