• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2007] San Clemente VRI

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Considering purchasing a San Clemente as a trader mostly. Any insights? Reputable broker.
:whoopie:

Last edited by a moderator:

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am assuming you mean SCI. We purchased a High Crest in 1980 and used it for 25 years to trade all of the world....never having stayed there. Bear in mind that things have changed....a lot since then. It used to be a Gold Crown...and did trade very well. You can pick up a Crest for about $1000 or less. Maintenance fees have increased considerably, too. It does trade with RCI and II. If you plan on staying there...definitely a buy...if not, I would discourage the purchase.

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are original owners #33

We used ours for years and loved it. Kids grew up playing catch in the large grassy area and walking to the beach about a block away. Two years ago, I bought another on Ebay. We too have traded all over for what many would consider better places. We converted to RCI Points and now use for airfare and short stays.
I disagree with the above post in part. The association has done a good job with upkeep. The lobby has been remodeled and the rooms have been re-decorated at least 3 times since we have owned. The pool and outdoor bar area are great, and a new highly rated restaurant has just recently opened in the lobby area. Maintenance fees, compared to other places in southern CA are very reasonable.
I do not think you can go wrong with SCI for location and trading. We have not seen any decrease since they lost their Gold Crown, which I suspect with the upgrades they may get back as Laguna Shores did a year or so ago.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I drive by this timeshare frequently as my mother lives 2 blocks away. Although the location is just ok not beach front, the place also looks like nothing special. My mother has neighbors who own there and use it for visiting family, they have told her the trades aren't that great. It is very inexpensive to buy for a REASON. If you plan on using it, it is one of 2 timeshares in San Celmente and the 2nd is much nicer. It is right across the the pier and beach and there is also a park there. IMO this would be a far better TS to use or trade especially if you own summer.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Good afternoon,

I'm hoping for an update on this this topic for anyone who owns/visits San Clemente Inn?

I have a friend who just inherited a timeshare here and asked me what I can learn about it? I know very little about VRI and SCI and would appreciate any perspective on ownership/trading value of SCI.

Thanks very much!

Greg

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg in many ways not much has changed.

The units are small-ish and the resort is not a posh place at all, but is neat and clean. If you are expecting a Marriot or Hilton you'll be disappointed. Some people have problems with it not being right on the beach. Fact is its location makes the resort in demand from early spring through October and then some. It's one of those places where you get out of it what you want. The pool and restaurant are nice and the green space is perfect for families with kids. Beach is about a block away down a hill.

Management is very stable and with the present GM there over 20 years, the assistant GM 15. They've done a great job running the resort and keeping it up with a fairly tight fisted HOA board. I've owned three years now and the MF's have increased about $50 over that time hovering around $500/year. Occupancy stays up in part because the management operates it much like a hotel and markets it to local industry including the near by San Onofre Nuclear Power plant for housing their people when doing maintenance or repairs. They also market the resort sending e-mails to existing owners for bonus time when it opens up.

Because of it's proximity to some of California's top surfing spots I love to stay here and play. We've had a renter for the past couple years which helps pay for the MF's of a couple weeks and I usually exchange in using RCI points from another week we own as simply put, it feels like home.

What else would you like to know.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
UW,

Thank you kindly for the information -- it sounds like a little gem as long as your expectations are appropriate set.

Can you comment at all on the relationship with VRI? I'm not familiar with them, other than what I've been reading on the web, but it sounds like an affiliation of timeshare properties that have their own internal exchange system. Is it very productive?

Thank you again, and I appreciate the information about this property.

All the best,

Greg

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
VRI is a very large management company of "independent" timeshare resorts. As I mentioned, the management of SCI has been the same people for a very long time which I assume has been under VRI all this time. They have served SCI well.

I don't have any experience with the VRI exchange system. I have either used my week, rented it out privately & lately have exchanged in through RCI using points.

I belive the advantage to exchanging within VRI is much lower booking fee's, but that assumes you want to go to one of their properties. Many folks have told me they can get very good exchanges outside of VRI using their SCI week.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have owned a VRI managed coastal California resort for many years. VRI is a good company. They are not only a management company but also exchange company for VRI resorts. I don't exchange with VRI as I don't exchange into their resorts. I use an independent exchange company.