• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2006 Thread] Has anyone had a tickling sensation in the ear?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Karen - you are right, of course....I'm just being silly! ;)

ABetts

Reaction score
My Darn Ear

Thank you for the therapy...I am so glad I am not alone. I also had no idea what TUG was when I found the thread online, but I had to join simply because there was a connection. It is going on right now as I type this bloody email and it is absolutely driving me nuts....:annoyed:

I appologize that I pulled the tread out of the dust last night if it annoys the TUG members, but believe me it isn't nearly as annoying as this stupid tickle.

Hears hoping the thread and the itch disappears forever :):hi:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Thank you for the therapy...I am so glad I am not alone. I also had no idea what TUG was when I found the thread online, but I had to join simply because there was a connection. It is going on right now as I type this bloody email and it is absolutely driving me nuts....:annoyed:

I appologize that I pulled the tread out of the dust last night if it annoys the TUG members, but believe me it isn't nearly as annoying as this stupid tickle.

Hears hoping the thread and the itch disappears forever :):hi:
No apologies are necessary. Stick around TUG, though. It's a fun place with a lot of good people sharing good information.

Sometimes when my ears were tickling, if I opened my mouth really wide and kind of forced it to open as wide as I could and held it that way, it would give me some relief. That kind of relieves the TMJ, too.

ABetts

Reaction score
You know I was talking to a co-worker just after I posted this and I thought of something. Is it possible any of us are on medications that might have brought this along. I am currently on some medications that I have never been on before....hmmmm

miniexp

Reaction score
Hello,
I also have had this tickle in my ear and ears. It has been on the left side,
then goes between the left and the right ear. I thought maybe a bug was in
my ear as I live in Florida, went to the Dr. and nothing in there, not even ear wax. So, now after about 4 months, with no tickle, it is back, only one ear for now. I was wondering if it could be high blood pressure starting to happen? A persons mind can get carried away I guess when there is no
remedy etc.
Diane

danaect

Reaction score
Is something crawling in my ear?

I'm glad to see other posts on here about people with similar symptoms. For about 8 months now I frequently get the feeling that something is crawling in my ear. I have had my ears checked many times and always there is nothing visually wrong. I began to wonder if the problem could be TMJ. I have suffered with symptoms of TMJ since 1990, but lately my symptoms have changed/escalated. I have always had jaw pain, clicking/popping in the ears and locking in the open position while at the dentist, but now I am experiencing ringing in the ears and other symptoms that I am beginning to think are related. I recently found a site that included: neck and shoulder pain, shooting pain in the head, sensitivity to light, sore throat and numbness in the arms, hands, and fingers---all of which I have experienced. Could TMJ cause this many problems? Is there a doctor in the house?

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
danaect, it always amazes me when this thread pops up again because someone has found it on Google. I think TMJ may really be the culprit, in my case, at least. The tickling sensation has lessened since I first posted in March '06, but the TMJ has become more troublesome. I don't have all the symptoms you describe, however. I hope I don't have all that to look forward to. Hope you find a way to relieve all those symptoms.

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I've stated a couple times, the itch stays and I only got relief by swabbing with various creams and solutions.

In the last year I've been on drops of Oroxacin and Ciprodex with momentary relief.

Went to VA hospital for getting some hearing aids. Their ENT doctor thought he seen signs of a fungus. He put me on Ofloxacin. 10 drops per ear, twice ech day. Went through two 5 mL bottles but got relief. As some ran out I would bath the outter ear. That seemed to cause irritating rash.

Got Hydrocort Val 0.2% cream to bring that under control.

With all better, I go to have hearing aids tomorrow.

janar

Reaction score
Finally found a solution!

It was probably two years ago that I googled 'tickling ear', trying to find a remedy for this problem that was making my life miserable and I found this thread (long before that, I'd googled the same, but with no 'hits' whatsoever)....I had to come back here and post my findings because it's really saved me and I wanted to help anyone else who may be suffering from this horrible affliction...

So, I've had this tickling ear problem for 25 years now (!)...been to doctors, etc., with no one having any clue as to the problem....as mentioned, it's made me nuts. I won't get into just how I found a solution, but the upshot is that I learned that my jaw clenching and excessive gum-chewing was the culprit!! When I became aware of this, I of course stopped clenching and stopped cheweing gum, and, it went away....immediately! Talk about feeling like I'd experienced a miracle! Anyway, if it ever does begin again (which it does on occasion), I instantly know I'm clenching my jaw, so I stop and it goes away. I suspect there is a nerve that is 'triggered' by the clenching....I dunno. But, I feel very grateful to have found a solution.

I had to come and post this because truly, it's saved my sanity. Hopefully it will help someone else!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had to come and post this because truly, it's saved my sanity. Hopefully it will help someone else!

Thanks so much for your post!:)

solisis

Reaction score
I found this by typing "tickling in my ear" in google.

I've had this happening for about 3 weeks now. I do not have any TMJ issues. I am on no medications. I have had no known change in habits or lifestyle lately. I am allergic to almost nothing.

I have described the sensation to my wife as though a few light hairs were brushing on my inner ear. Sometimes it happens in short bursts, which scares me into thinking it's an insect nest. How many of us really know why they call them "earwigs?"

I wondered if it had anything to do with sound vibrations. I usually listen to music at work on headphones, which has almost become impossible because the tickling amplifies with headphones.

It is a horrifying thing to hear of someone living 25 years with this. It's like imagining someone with the hiccups for 25 years. You just might have to throw yourself over a cliff.

Maybe we'll get lucky and there will be a House episode that deals with this.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ah, yes, the tickling-in-the-ear thread returns!

solisis, welcome to TUG. This thread really illustrates the power of Google! It's fun to see this thread pop up again. I can't believe it has been almost four years since I started it.

If it's any consolation to you, I haven't had the tickling sensation in my ear since we moved to a drier climate. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. But, I do hope yours will go away, too.:)

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found this by typing "tickling in my ear" in google.

... Sometimes it happens in short bursts, which scares me into thinking it's an insect nest. How many of us really know why they call them "earwigs?"

I wondered if it had anything to do with sound vibrations. I usually listen to music at work on headphones, which has almost become impossible because the tickling amplifies with headphones...

First off, welcome to TUG.

Went to VA hospital, the ENT doctor thought he seen signs of a fungus. He put me on OFLOXACIN...

Went through two 5 mL bottles but got relief. As some ran out I would bath the outer ear with the excess. That seemed to cause irritating rash. Got Hydrocort Val 0.2% cream to bring that under control.

I have been forced to follow doctors instructions to PUT NOTHING IN THE EAR to scratch for relief as that skin inside the ear gets messed over. That makes for skin trying to mend. KEEP swabs out, I was told.

When I can't stand it (seldom anymore) I lay down and install a few drops of OFLOXACIN.

By getting hearing aids, was told to only wear them as really needed as with the conditions of my ear canal irritation, I need air in there. I would think earphones would need ventilation. The vibrations may be causing irritation also.

I'm not a doctor.
-----------

Robert

Last edited:

tomcat101

Reaction score
My left ear has been tickling off and on for most of 2010. I shove my pinky finger in there and wiggle it around a bit for relief.

In Dec. 2009 I had some jaw pain at Christmas that made it difficult to eat. It gradually went away after a couple of weeks.

In Aug. 2010 my dentist took out my left top wisdom tooth. The wisdom tooth had a big cavity and the tooth beside it had a deep cavity. So he pulled the wisdom tooth and filled the other tooth.

But the ear still tickles sometimes. Just the left ear. Never the right ear.

I have had trouble once in the past with vertigo also. I tend to drink too much caffeine and stay a little dehydrated.

Based on what the others have said, I'm thinking this tickling has something to do with my jaw, the wisdom tooth cavity, or not drinking enough water.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am close to one hundred percent sure that the "ear tickling sensation" actually emanates from your throat. It is either an allergy, cold, or some other condition that impacts your throat. This is a WAG but do you suffer from acid reflux? Acid reflux could be irritating your throat and causing the "ear tickling".

tksinclair

Reaction score
It may be an old thread but my ears are itching NOW

In fact this started a few months ago and has nothing to do with my throat.

Re: the Throat It feels totally different than that. It's just inside the ear. BUT yes I've had acid reflux and when it was diagnosed I went to the ER because I couldn't breathe. I actually felt like I couldn't take a breath. When I was diagnosed later in the week with Acid Reflux I was SHOCKED because my symptoms didn't feel "acidy" at all. I literally felt more like something was sitting on my chest! Weird huh?

In fact I have high blood pressure AND acid reflux....Hmmmmm...

I was wondering how old the other people are that have this problem. I'm 57 and I've had some pretty weird menopausal symptoms and thought this could be one!!? Although that wouldn't account for the men!

I have also discovered that Benedryl seems to work. At least most of the time.

It started with itching on my arm. The left side. Then that went away and now my ears drive me nuts. It almost feels as if little hairs are tickling my ears! But, fortunatley, no ear hair! :cheer:

YET.

I too was relieved to do a search and discover I wasn't alone in the itchy ear world!

OH and interesting, mine is my left ear! NEVER the right ear!?!?

I'd like to know, how old people with IES (Itchy Ear Syndrome) are.
Which ear itches?
Do you have itching anywhere else? (not to get too personal of course)
Does Benedryl help?
Do you have either high blood pressure OR Acid Reflux?

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY - is this icon pretending to scratch his chin but is actually scratching his EAR????? :ponder:

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was wondering how old the other people are that have this problem.
When I started this thread back in 2006 I was 60, and I lived in Washington state in a very damp climate.

Now, 4-1/2 yrs. later I live in Nevada in a very dry climate. I have also had sinus surgery since I moved here. I haven't experienced the tickling sensation since moving here. Since I never was able to find out what caused it to begin with, I don't know what made it stop either. But, I'm so glad it's gone.:)

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
An acupuncturist, back in the mid 70's, suggested putting a coin in your ear. Quarters work best, as they fit best. You can feel it pull the heat out of your ear.
Liz

vruatsa

Reaction score
Well well, 2012 now, two years from the last post and six from the opening day

I decided to write here because it is always nice to find information about something that is driving you crazy.

I've been experiencing this ear tickling for about two months (that I can remember) and it has had many (if not all) sensations described by the people that have commented.

After doing a "thorough" research I concluded that this symptom can be associated to two things.

The first one is TMJ disorder, which due to the proximity of the TMJ, creates the sensation in the ear.

The second one is sinus drainage which is at the same time associated with allergies. I found some info here http://www.livestrong.com/article/39363-symptoms-associated-sinus-drainage-down/

Now, how funny things are, some people talked about issues with acid reflux, which generates irritation in the throat, therefore generating the tickling. But acid reflux can also generate bruxism which can also degenerates into TMJ disorder and so on.

So if you think about it, acid reflux seems to be a big part of this. I'm not saying it is the main and only reason, of course. It's amazing how something can affect you in different ways.

In my case I think it has to do with the sinus drainage, I have lots of the symptoms associated with it and I've had allergy to dust for quite a while.

I guess in my case the solution would be to maintain extremely clean the places where I dwell and to use antihistaminic drugs to reduce the reaction of the body to these allergies. Also, to keep my nose as clean as I can to be able to breathe better, therefore having better ventilation in my ears.

Finally, it's great to find places like this one where you not only find information, but also support. We all know, as expressed by someone else here, that mind can play dirty tricks on you. Hearing all different cases somehow motivates you and gives you strength.

A funny fact: during the whole research and posting of this comment I actually went from experimenting the undesirable tickle to not having it. I wonder to what extent can mind help you (or sink you) when a health issue (even more psychological) is involved.

Cheers!

Ps: Karen, once again the thread has been brought up :p Thanks for starting it.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ps: Karen, once again the thread has been brought up :p Thanks for starting it.
How fun to see this thread again.:D I had forgotten about it, but it's nice to revisit it. I'm happy to report that I can't even remember the last time I had this tickling in my ear now that I've lived in the desert for almost six years.

Last edited:

vruatsa

Reaction score
How fun to see this thread again.:D I had forgotten about it, but it's nice to revisit it. I'm happy to report that I can't even remember the last time I had this tickling in my ear now that I've lived in the desert for almost six years.

Glad to hear that :)

DirtyJersey

Reaction score
I’ve had the tickling sensation in my right ear for several months now. Specifically it’s the portion of the ear called the tragus. The timing would coincide with the start of new medications, but I can’t rule out TMJ causes either since my wife says I now have violent or intense dreams, which I imagine would lead to clenching my jaw in my sleep. I also have food and seasonal allergies, so I’ll need to see if an antihistamine helps.

Long live the “ear tickling” thread!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I’ve had the tickling sensation in my right ear for several months now...

Reviving a 12 year old thread, whose last post was 6 years ago this week!
I wonder if that's some sort of record?

"They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast."
-- Source: The Eagles (Hotel California, 1976).

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am from the east coast the Commonwealth of Virginia and I have this same problem. I am going to try some of the suggestions. age 70+.
This thread lives on.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I had a tickling or itch in my left year for a very long time- doc said it is probably Eustachian Tube Disorder and recommended Flonase. It comes and goes now. Had it more in the spring and summer.