• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2006 Thread] Has anyone had a tickling sensation in the ear?

Roberic

Reaction score
karen, i presently have the ear tickling you describe. Mine started three years ago right after a medical procedure of injecting a radiopaque dye into my spinal cord before doing a scan.

It drove me nuts until I quite by accident discovered I could relieve the tickle by concentration, which blew my mind because it seems so strange. I then discovered that I can relieve the tickle by pressing the tip of my tongue against the roof of my mouth right behind my front teeth! You are presently wondering if I am nuts. I have repeated this tongue think probably ten thousand times over the years and it works every time, but often just for a minute, sometimes for many minutes.

I went to three ENT docs and all gave me topical drops, or cremes, etc, and of course, none worked.

The tickle unfortunately has gotten worse to the degree it wakes me at night.

I have no other idea about what to do. I was so excited to find another person who seems to have the same problem.

Write back.

Roberic

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Roberic, I hate to tell you this, but this thread is two years old. (March 2006)

But welcome to TUG anyway!!! :hi:

So Karen - How's the ear now? :D

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
So Karen - How's the ear now? :D
Thanks for asking! It is better, but I think now the cause was TMJ-related. I wore the night guard faithfully for quite awile, but I haven't worn it since we moved to Nevada.

The drier climate has helped somewhat with the sinuses. Lower humidity and lots of sunshine make everything better somehow.

But, Roberic, please tell us how you found this old, old thread.:confused:

angela100

Reaction score
okay, I am here because I Googled "hair tickling ear sensation"... this has been going on with me for a week or so... it feels like I have hair rubbing my ear cartilage on the outside... but just about as you would enter the ear canal... it's not painful or strong, but a very light sensation that a stray hair is rubbing... very strange... If I press on it, it goes away....I have been going through a bout of vertigo since October (same ear affected). It is gone now (the vertigo), but I just worry...any new information?

I am going to try that tongue pressing behind the front teeth thing.. but I don't want to just mask a problem if there is one...

thanks,
Angela

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Well I guess we know it has nothing to do with owning a timeshare....

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sharon,
It *is* in the Lounge...defined above as "The place for all discussions that don't fit into the other defined forum areas." I know you've started notes in the Lounge that have nothing to do with timesharing; so have I. I can't understand why you chose to respond in this manner.

JMHO, of course

Fern

Well I guess we know it has nothing to do with owning a timeshare....

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
okay, I am here because I Googled "hair tickling ear sensation"... this has been going on with me for a week or so...Angela
Hi, Angela, and welcome to TUG. I know how you feel because I originally started this thread a long time ago. I also know how frustrating and annoying it is. In my case, I think it had to do with TMJ, as you can read in prior posts.

TUG is a wonderful place and you can learn about a lot of things here. Most of the forums have to do with timeshares and general travel discussions. This TUG Lounge forum is for any topic people wish to discuss as long as we abide by the general rules at the top of the page.

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has been plaguing me for several years, both ears. Drives me bonkers at times..

ENT finds nothing. Doc prescribed Desonide Cream 0.05%. A beeswax, white petrolatum, mineral oil, aluminum acetate basic, glycerin and purified water. It is preserved with methylparaben. I get relief for one or two days.

Instead of the cream, normally I swab the entire canal with hydrogen peroxide 3%. It may work for several days or only 3 or 4 hours.

I just swabbed with the mentioned 50/50 white vinegar and alcohol. I also shoved quarters in.
The itching has stopped, but I think it is because of the quarters hurting a bit.

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
One reason for itching ear

When my son was about 7 he told me he hated eating carrots and apples because they made his ears itch. I was stupified at first, but then I realized that frequently I too had really itchy ears that would bug me after eating and nothing would get rid of that itch. However, I had only started feeling it in my 30s, not as a younger person.

I discussed it with my doctor who said it is apparently an allergic reaction, and I soon noticed have the same problem with other veggies in the carrot family--turnips, parsnips.

You may have the same situation--pay attention to what you are eating--keep a log every time you feel the itching-you will soon know what the culprit is. Then you can decide which is preferable, itching ears or the food source!

Good luck! :)

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am amazed by how many people have itchy ears. Mine never bothered me until I read this thread. Now I can't stop itching. :shrug:

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
...--pay attention to what you are eating--keep a log every time you feel the itching-...
Good luck! :)

Never thought of that. I'll try noting when the itch comes on. Thanks for the tip.

btw, After the swabbing and quarter treatment last night, there has been no itch. The quarters hurt after a couple minutes, as they cut in. Did the hurting stop the itch? Seems to have.

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Um, I meant that obviously having tickling in your ear doesn't have anything to do with owning a timeshare since two people (who found the thread through googling and presumably thus do not own a timeshare) posted about having a similar problem. Hope you "understand" now...although frankly **I** don't understand why you choose to respond in the manner that you do most of the time.

Sharon,
It *is* in the Lounge...defined above as "The place for all discussions that don't fit into the other defined forum areas." I know you've started notes in the Lounge that have nothing to do with timesharing; so have I. I can't understand why you chose to respond in this manner.

JMHO, of course

Fern

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Um, I meant that obviously having tickling in your ear doesn't have anything to do with owning a timeshare since two people (who found the thread through googling and presumably thus do not own a timeshare) posted about having a similar problem. Hope you "understand" now...although frankly **I** don't understand why you choose to respond in the manner that you do most of the time.

Sharon, I understood what you meant (topic found via Google). I actually laughed out loud when I read your response. :)

socalTSdad

TUG Member
Reaction score
itching ear relief

My wife had the same itching right ear and I mean for years. Saw several Docs, was given many creams, always came back. Last month at 56 she had her wisdom teeth out, really hard on her, but low and be hold the itchy right ear is gone. Go figure!

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a patient once who came to me with an incessant tickling in his ear and had been to his physician.

With the otoscope, I examined his ear by not going into the canal all the way and backing out halfway, Then after inspection, I asked him if had recently had his hair cut. He had and there were about 2-3 tiny hair strands in his outter canal driving him crazy which he kept missing with QTips and erasers (ack !). Easy fix in his case. Have seen this twice more. Not saying that this is the problem, but it is easily missed.

Last edited:

ABetts

Reaction score
Tickling in the ear

Oh my goodness, I can't believe this happens to someone else. I thought I was going nuts....I don't know what it is and nothing seems to help. I have no allergies that I know of and this is something that has just started since I started taking some new medications...maybe that is it...

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The power of Google! The tickling-in-the-ear thread appears again!:D

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Karen - If I was you, I would close the thread! :rofl:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Karen - If I was you, I would close the thread! :rofl:
Why?? I find it amazing that people keep finding this old thread.:D

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
And I have a tickle in my ear, too!

My doctor says its just allergies if it tickles. Drives me crazy. He says I can see an ENT if I want to.

It is tickling right now :shrug: !

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why?? I find it amazing that people keep finding this old thread.:D

I don't know...it's just kind of disturbing to have these enthusiastic itchers just post out of no where! :D Have you considered starting your own website?

Hmmmmm.... Let's see....

IUG - Itchy Users Group?

SUG - Scratchy Users Group?

FIEND-UG - Finger in Ear 'Nuckle Deep Users Group (liberties taken with spelling of knuckle)

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't know...it's just kind of disturbing to have these enthusiastic itchers just post out of no where!
It must seem like a joke to folks who have not experienced this very frustrating feeling, but I can assure you it is real and apparently a lot of other people have felt it, too.

I don't find it disturbing or unusual for someone to be searching online for more information. When they find others who have experienced the same thing, it's only natural for them to try to get more information. I know I've learned a lot of useful things from TUG that don't have anything to do with timeshares.