• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2006] SVO Resale: Yes you can requalify/retro [MERGED]

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
After 4 weeks struggling of getting the valid documentations, I finally got the correct contract and retr'd doc. The key is getting a knowledgable saleperson.

ssharpey

Reaction score
Deleted

You have posted this in a number of locations. Please review the rules for posting on these boards. Duplicate postings are not allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:

myip

TUG Member
Reaction score
How long?

How long does it take before your mystarcentral shows your resales is in SVN network?

vic714

TUG Member
Reaction score
myip said:
How long does it take before your mystarcentral shows your resales is in SVN network?

My WMH resale took about a week after it closed. I did have to call the Starwood to confirm that they rec'd the updated title.

Victor

ssharpey

Reaction score
Staroption points

If already bought a resale week from the VV worth 81,000 staroption points and then went to the developer at VV and bought another week based on them retro my prior resale week would I then have a total of 162,000 staroption points to use each year?

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi ssharpey,

Post #9 on the following thread reports the current developer pricing for Vistana Villages.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33436

It reports that the developer sells a 2 bedroom at Vistana Villages valued at 81,000 StarOptions for $22,900 for annual usage and $14,900 for every-other-year (EOY) usage.

But a larger issue arises from your earlier post. Vistana Villages is a MANDATORY resort, meaning StarOptions (SVN Internal Exchange Currency) automatically transfer to the purchaser on resale. You do not have to buy a developer unit to “requal” a Vistana Villages resale if all you want are the resale’s StarOptions. In other words, if you bought two Vistana Villages resale and each one were worth 81,000 StarOptions, you would have a total of 162,000 StarOptions even without buying anything from the developer.

However, requalifying a resale purchase of a mandatory resort like Vistana Villages will give you other, arguably less valuable, benefits. Namely, 1) your resale’s StarOptions will be used in the calculation of elite status; 2) you’ll be able to convert your resale Vistana Villages into StarPOINTS (hotel points – also known as SPG Points); 3) You are given automatic "gold" status in SPG; and 4) you’ll be able to combine your StarOptions to make a single reservation. For example, you can book a 2 bedroom lock-off at WKORV for 148,100 StarOptions. Otherwise, to do the same thing with re-sale StarOptions you’d be forced to book a large 1 bedroom unit for 81,000 StarOptions using one of your VV’s StarOptions and then separately book the studio for 67,100 StarOptions using your second VV’s StarOptions. You would then hope that Starwood would honor your “request” to make them adjoining when you get there.

Many Starwood Tuggers do not think requalifying a mandatory resort like Vistana Villages just to obtain these four benefits justifies paying the inflated price of a developer purchase.

If any of this is confusing to you, I suggest you read Seenett’s awesome and recently updated overview of Starwood Vacation Network to get up to speed on these issues before you part with any cash, especially to a developer.

http://www.tug2.net/advice/Starwood_Vacation_Network.htm

Good Luck!
-nodge

Last edited:

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
ssharpey,

Yes. Subject to availability at WKORV, if you owned two weeks at a mandatory resort like Vistana Villages that you purchased resale, and each week was valued at 81,000 StarOptions, you would have enough StarOptions to book two large 1 bedroom units at WKORV since they "cost" 81,000 StarOptions each.

Since WKORV would not be your "home resort," the soonest you could book WKORV would be 8 months before your planned arrival date.

In contrast, if you purchased a voluntary resort (like Vistana RESORT) resale, and you didn't requalify it by also purchasing another unit from the developer, you would not have any StarOptions to exchange within SVN.

-nodge

Last edited:

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
nodge said:
Since WKORV would not be your "home resort," the soonest you could book WKORV would be 9 months before your planned arrival date.

Just wanted to clarify that you book at resorts other than your home resort at 8 months out :) .

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vistana Villages Update

The newest phase of Vistana Villages, called the "Amelia" phase, appears to be a voluntary SVN resort. The original and "key west" phases of Vistana Villages still appear to be mandatory SVN resorts.

Please see this link for info on which phases of which resorts are "voluntary" resorts as Starwood appears to have recently allowed different phases within the same resort to have different SVN status.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35399

-Nodge

myip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Starwood Voluntary Resorts in SVN

CAS – Sheraton Vistana Resort – Cascades Section
LKS – Sheraton Vistana Resort – Lakes Section
LST - Sheraton Lakeside Terrace
PGA – Sheraton PGA Vacation Resort
WMH – Westin Mission Hills
SMV – Sheraton Mountain Vista
SDO – Sheraton Desert Oasis
SBP – Sheraton Broadway Plantation
CAN – Westin Lagunamar (Cancun)
POR – Princeville Ocean Resort (Kauai)
BV – Westin St. John – Bay Vista Section
AR – “Amelia Resort” (listed as being located at Vistana Village’s address with an “estimated completion date for Phase 1 [of] June, 2007.”

Starwood Mandatory Resorts in SVN

By elimination, the following remaining resorts identified as SVN resorts in Document R-14 must be “mandatory” resorts that are not subject to SVN Document R-14’s “voluntary” membership provisions:

Vistana Villages – Original “Bella” Phase
Vistana Villages - Key West Phase
Westin St. John – Original Phase referred to in Document R-14 simply as “Westin St. John.”
Harborside Resort Phases I and II
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North
Westin Kierland Villas
Don't want to loose this info.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
requal

hi i am NEW TO TUG, I READ THAT YOU WERE ABLE TO REQUALIFY YOUR RESALE, WHICH IS GREAT. WHICH RESORT ARE THE SALES PEOPLE FAMILIAR WITH THIS PROCEDURE. I WILL BE BUYING A RESALE AND THEN A DEVELOPER PROPERTY BUT I WANT THIS TO GO SMOOTHLY. PLEASE TELL ME TO I TALK TO SOMEONE IN KIERLAND,VV OR WHERE? :

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
How Do I Get The Info About What I Own And Where I Am From Underneath My Username? Help!!!!

Go to "User CP" in the upper left of the screen. You may need to join TUG to use this function, not sure. Either way, I would encourage you to spend the minimal fee to join TUG.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
requal

thanks for the info, i was able to update my TUG account. can someone please guide me : who do i speak with to get a requal? i want to make the procedure as easy as possible. is the person at VV or keirland?:wave: has anyone heard any info on the pre-sales for aruba? los cabos or the new colorado
of the palm springs? are the new ones going to be mandatory or voluntary?:wave:

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
requal

I am probably going to buy a resale in hawaii and buy a new one in aruba.i will be doing this by phone so who do i speak with VV or Kierland? i want to requal the hawaii.

Bill4728

Reaction score
pointjunkie said:
are the new ones (resorts) going to be mandatory or voluntary
From everything I've heard all the new resorts are going to be voluntary.
I am probably going to buy a resale in hawaii and buy a new one in aruba.i will be doing this by phone so who do i speak with VV or Kierland? i want to requal the hawaii.
If you buy from the developer in Arbura, they will take care of requalifing your resale. No need to speak to anyone at VVor Kierland.

PS: The people who benifit most from requalifing are those people who have bought a resale at a voluntary resort. It is debatable if requalifing a mandatory resale is worth it. (unless you just have to buy from starwood at one of their new resorts)

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Requalifying a mandatory resort is useful if that enables you to get to Starwood Elite levels. It also gives you the ability to combine StarOptions when reserving larger or more expensive units at other SVN resorts. Furthermore, it gives you the ability to convert to Starpoints. Some say the latter is not the best use of your StarOptions (you should rent out your unit if you can't use it), but it is nice to have the flexibility and it is better than losing them if you don't want to go through the hassle of renting.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Requalifying a mandatory resort is useful if that enables you to get to Starwood Elite levels. It also gives you the ability to combine StarOptions when reserving larger or more expensive units at other SVN resorts.

Very true and very valuable !!

Please, Please, Please, make sure that you reread post 1 and do not sign anything until you have the 4 RETRO documents in hand regarding the resale.

And, It's less expensive (and a better deal) to buy and requalify a Voluntary resort.

Last edited:

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
requal

let me get this straight---- if i bought at desert oasis from an owner who did not belong to svn i would then be able to requalify that resort with all the benefits, staroptions,II ,starpoints, and elite status? or at any other voluntary resort? thanks for all the imput.

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
YES..YOU CAN REQUALIFY

I found out that my calls to svo directly each time got differing answers. So, I asked the Sales Director of one of the resorts to READ ME THE POLICY. Here it is: SVO will requalify a resale purchase with membership in the SVN network if the owner makes a purchase directly from the developer. This is in the SVO policy manual. There is no specific requirement on what resort or what week or how much the developer purchase must be.
I understand the procedure you've taken to get your resales requalified.It seems that this may be the only route that actually works.I would like to know if an upgrade such as 2bed to a 2bed L/O would count as a developer purchase towards requalifing a resale.

myip

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand the procedure you've taken to get your resales requalified.It seems that this may be the only route that actually works.I would like to know if an upgrade such as 2bed to a 2bed L/O would count as a developer purchase towards requalifing a resale.
No... If you brought a 2 bedroom resales and use it for upgrade. They won't allow you to do it since the original unit is a resale.