TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

[2006] SVO Resale: Yes you can requalify/retro [MERGED]

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by duke, May 6, 2006.

1. duke

duke TUG Member

Yup, I did the same. Split a Developer EY into 2 EOY and RETRO'ed Two EY.

2. LobsterHunter

LobsterHunter TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HRA, WMH, WDW, SDO, SMV, WLR, WFlex
    Just wanted to provide a data point for retro info. Some may agree or disagree with our choice, but my eyes were wide open (unlike when I first bought from developer, before finding TUG!!)
    So we just purchased Westin Flex (BIG MF's!) and here are our specifics:

Bought: 2 Westin Flex 148,100 packages for a total of $106,632 with annual MF of approx. $2,695/each

Traded in: WKORN EY IV - $44,900 (developer purchase)
    WKORN EOY IV -$22,500 (developer purchase)
    2X Vistana Beach Club -$22,320 (purchased for $1/ea resale 4 yrs ago, and enjoyed every year since in an oceanfront unit)

Retroed in: 1 SDO true Plat for 148,100 and 1 SMV ski week for 148,100

Current MF's for traded in units = approx. $6,450, New WF MF's= approx. $5,400

Purchase price (out of pocket) was $16,912 + $945 closing cost, minus a $1,692 explorer package credit (purchased in Cancun last yr), so a total of $16,165

Starpoints received = 50,000 purchase incentive + 110,000 from explorer package (used corporate sales instead of visiting resort) + approx. 32,000 for using SPG Amex

Who knows what Westin Flex resale will be, but I imagine for a 148,100 package it won't be a whole lot less then a WKORN IV 2br L/O. Even a resale Plat WDW or WMH is a couple thousand w/no option to trade into Hawaii...so who really knows?

3. jimwu921

jimwu921 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark, MVC, Vistana, HGVC
    I feel this is a great deal. Just the spg points are worth at least 4k plus you get all the elite benefit. :cheer:

4. tarahsu

tarahsu TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO | 1BR (ODD)
    SDO | 2BD LO (EVEN)
    Hi All:
    I have 2 SDO resales. What does re qualifying mean and should I do it?

5. vistana101

vistana101 TUG Member

Sounds like a great deal, congrats! How did you get so many points from the explorer package? We just got one for 4 nights + 80,000 points hm.

6. LobsterHunter

LobsterHunter TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    We bought a $2,545 explorer package last year in Cancun, thinking we might retro in 1 unit, it was 80k SO after we returned & did tour, but by buying w/out returning to resort it is actually 110k SO (the difference is they charge you those 30K SO for your 4 night stay). We only got a $1,692 credit because it is 10% of purchase price. We could have got full $2,545 credit for Explorer, but we would have to put in $25K+ in new money.

7. LobsterHunter

LobsterHunter TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Also, I thought it was a min of $10k new money per retro, but not the case. Because each purchase was over $50k (regardless of trade-in properties) we were able to retro in two 148,100 properties for only $16K new money.

We really wanted a deeded property instead of WF, but that offer was:
    Take back 2 VBC prop & WKORN EY & WKORN EOY in exchange for 2 annual Ocean View units (WKORN) with new money of $46,080 + $945 closing, $2,545 explorer credit, 110k SP (explorer package) + 40k SP purchase incentive....NOT worth an extra $30K out of pocket for us!

8. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Just to clarify, you mean SPG points not SOs.

9. LobsterHunter

LobsterHunter TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    My bad, yes 110k SP instead of 80K SP, 30K SP is what they deduct for the 4 night stay

10. SteveS1

SteveS1 TUG Member

Just wondering if anyone has retroed/requalified Sheraton Flex FO or know if it can be done?

I currently have 206K Sheraton FO, requaled LT ski week 129K so and Harborside 1br premium winter week 81K..all resale then requaled , (thanks to learnings from this thread!) so I’m 4* elite.

I use all the SO/FO for travel or rental and have been short in recent years . Also 4* isn’t terribly valuable.

Now may not be the right time to go for 5* but if it can be done may think about picking up some FO resale.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  11. KACTravels

KACTravels TUG Member

12. tomandrobin

tomandrobin TUG Member

Very nice! I like the creative trade-in/retro deal you made.

13. LobsterHunter

LobsterHunter TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    5* w/other units we already owned

KACTravels likes this.