• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2006] Polo Towers owners' group?

babu

TUG Member
Reaction score
polo towers group

i'd also like to be part of a polo towers group.

babu

cluemeister

TUG Member
Reaction score
babu said:
does that mean that if we own a two bedroom lock-off, we can trade a one bedroom for one week and a studio for another week?

babu

If you own a Suite, you can trade the 1 BR portion or the entire 2 BR unit (with II), but not just the studio side. You can always split your week within the resort, so you can stay in the 1 BR side and then the studio side (for two weeks). This is supposed to change after (if) the special assessment passes, and the remodel is done. Then you will be able to bank the studio. Not sure how much trade power you'd have. For me, the value of my unit ranks as follows: 1. using the 2BR (nice to have two bathrooms!) 2. banking the 2BR 3. splitting the units within the resort for two weeks total 4. banking just the 1 BR and staying in the studio side.

YMMV

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
cluemeister said:
If you own a Suite, you can trade the 1 BR portion or the entire 2 BR unit (with II), but not just the studio side. You can always split your week within the resort, so you can stay in the 1 BR side and then the studio side (for two weeks). This is supposed to change after (if) the special assessment passes, and the remodel is done. Then you will be able to bank the studio. Not sure how much trade power you'd have. For me, the value of my unit ranks as follows: 1. using the 2BR (nice to have two bathrooms!) 2. banking the 2BR 3. splitting the units within the resort for two weeks total 4. banking just the 1 BR and staying in the studio side.

YMMV

Some of the suites units have Murphy beds in them and they are allowed to exchange the studio side. Our original purchase was an 8th floor tower 2 unit. This unit was called "the great divide" and allowed both the one bedroom side and studio side to be exchanged.

The Skyview units on the 17th and 18th floors of tower one can also exchange the studio. There are not many units in tower one that have this option but in tower two I believe more unit have the option to exchange the studio side than not.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
JillChang said:
A little off topic, but I am checking into the studio side next month.

Is it customary for owner to ask for an upgrade if available? has it ever been done? and did anyone had a success of upgrading?

We have in the past. If there is a unit available, they will allow you to upgrade but there used to be a charge per day for it. The only time we upgraded they forgot to charge us and I didn't bother to tell them about it.

jziggy1

TUG Member
Reaction score
the great divide

We supposedly have this option as part of our agreement. But the paperwork also stated that we were not going to be assessed an 'update' fee since we purchased after Jan of 2003. That's not the way the 'voting' info we have received has read. How does the whole Hawaiin Market cost fit into this upgrade? Was that our maintence fees that went up over 100.00 per year already?? I thought the units were going to be upgraded first when we bought--and that hasn't happen yet.

JillChang

Reaction score
dougp26364 said:
We have in the past. If there is a unit available, they will allow you to upgrade but there used to be a charge per day for it. The only time we upgraded they forgot to charge us and I didn't bother to tell them about it.

I was thinking of "complimentary" upgrade to 1 bdrm ;)

for owners only, of course

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
jziggy1 said:
We supposedly have this option as part of our agreement. But the paperwork also stated that we were not going to be assessed an 'update' fee since we purchased after Jan of 2003. That's not the way the 'voting' info we have received has read. How does the whole Hawaiin Market cost fit into this upgrade? Was that our maintence fees that went up over 100.00 per year already?? I thought the units were going to be upgraded first when we bought--and that hasn't happen yet.

The developer and his sales staff were not always up front and honest IMO. Don't forget that this is the SECOND attempt to pass an upgrade SA. The first one, which may be the one they told you that you were exempt from, failed.

I know when we talked with a salesman for the final time at an owners update, he told us he had a limited supply of preconstrucion units in tower two that they were finishing out. The area I guess had been used for other purposes and was being converted to timeshares now. He told us that these uints would have the "new" features that were included in the OLD SA and would be exempt from the assessment. Of course, that one failed to pass and now they're asking for even more, but wanting to put in even more features.

Now sometimes in a sales presentation, they'll try to sell you the most expensive (newest) units first. If you balk at that, then they'll move down the list and try to sell you something from older stock that might be less expensive. Perhaps a repo unit or some of the old, not yet updated units left over. If that happened, then you would most likely be tagged for the SA.

Part of my problem with PT's has been the inability to ever get a straight answer out of them. They have yet to fullfill any promise that they've made in a timely manner. It's a really credibility issue they're fighting with this SA. Most of the owners know we need this but just as many don't trust them.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
JillChang said:
I was thinking of "complimentary" upgrade to 1 bdrm ;)

for owners only, of course

That would be nice but I don't think they'll do that. It never hurts to ask though.

Silverleaf has upgraded us twice when we've stayed at their resort in Branson and we're not even owners with them.

ljane

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quote by Dougp26364:
"
Part of my problem with PT's has been the inability to ever get a straight answer out of them. They have yet to fullfill any promise that they've made in a timely manner. It's a really credibility issue they're fighting with this SA. Most of the owners know we need this but just as many don't trust them."

Doug this has been my point exactly. After buying from the developer (Didn't know any better at the time) and paying way too much, I feel like I have been paying ever since for an inferior product. Promises were not kept, and improvements were not made. I think over the years there have been a lot of decisions that were very foolish on part of management and the board.

I too would like to know if we totally lost the ground that the Hawaiian Market Place was located on? What is next for that piece of property? When we purchased at Polo Towers we asked if it were possible for someone to build a building on that property. We were told Polo Towers would never sell the ground in front of us. If Polo Towers ever changed what was there, it would never be used to build a building high enough to block anyone's view. Now from what I hear I'm not so sure of this. Have we been given all the facts or are they still being hid? We were never told about the out break of Legionnaires Disease and the unsafe water supply, why the other improvements have never taken place, or why it took years to complete, and etc, etc, etc. It always more money with nothing more to show for the money.

Polo Towers has been my most expensive timeshare purchase and the one in the worst condition, with nothing to show for what I have been paying my maintenance fees for. You may as well say I have lost the money because I can only sell it for a very small fraction of what I paid, because of the condition and the special assessments.

Yes we need improvements and updates, yes I am in favor of them. I only question the cost, and will not give the present management my approval.
As was said, "We just don't trust them."
Ljane

robarkim

Reaction score
Re: Polo Towers owners' group?

We would also love to be part of a "Polo Towers Owners Group". We purchased a 2-bedroom lockoff unit in Tower 1 in 1994. We were told so many lies since that time, but have had no voice in any decisions. It almost seems that we were duped by a corrupt group and have never had a choice to do anything but pay our annual fees which go up way too much every year. We own two other timeshares and they are managed much differently and much better than Polo Towers is - part of the mtc fee goes toward renovations of the units. Most items in the units are replaced every 10 years and they don't need special assessments to do it. I don't think Polo Towers has anything put aside from the mtc fees to take care of replacements of items or renovation of units. Makes you wonder what they are really doing with all the money we pay them each year. We were also told that nothing would ever block our view - we are on the 15th floor overlooking the strip and that they owned the land in front of the Towers and it would never be sold. Yes - if you get something going on this or need help please let us know. I don't know if we would be able to change things - but it is worth a try.
Barbara and Roger

Sharhu

TUG Member
Reaction score

I am interested also, we own a two bedroom in the Suites we bought about 3 years ago. We also bought at Jockey and were originally concerned we may have made a mistake with that one but they have done a great job refurbishing the units and trying to do what they can to protect our interests with the new Cosmopolitan going up around it. Nothing they can do to stop it although they tried but at least they are managing to get Cosmopolitan to pay for changes to Jockey like the changing of the entrance, valet parking until the parking garage is completed and hopefully use of the Cosmopolitan roof top pool. Looks like Jockey Club was the good choice I am not sure about Polo Towers now. I was going to be satisfied if the assessment got passed and the changes got made, I am not happy about and very concerned someone could make the decision to take away our lounge especially if it gets converted to offices and we don't get a chance to enjoy the view any longer.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

With all the changes that have been made and now that they have CLOSED the owners lounge and appear to be converting it to OFFICE SPACE, something must be done. That owners lounge was for the OWNERS, not the developer, not the sales team, not the HOA but for the OWNERS. If that space was going to be converted to anything else, then the owners should have had a say in it.

I can think of other things that could have been done with that space. Perhaps an owners coffee shop/convenience store much like what Hilton and Marriott do? Perhaps they could have put the fitness center in there. Something the PROMISED would be moved into the building as soon as sales wrapped up.

All the extra space that was to be converted to OWNERS use when sales were completed has only been rented out for what seems to be the developer or managements personal gain. THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!

I believe that an active owners group may be the only way to have a voice in how our resort is run. It has become painfully obvious that the HOA and the board of directors are NOT acting in the owners behalf.

Remeber, it's easier to break one stick at a time than to try to break the entire bunch at once. As owners we need to get a large enough group together that we speak as one and not individuals!

cluemeister

TUG Member
Reaction score

Doug, have you heard from the board yet? I plan on stopping by the sales office tomorrow or Tuesday to talk about this and other issues.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

cluemeister said:
Doug, have you heard from the board yet? I plan on stopping by the sales office tomorrow or Tuesday to talk about this and other issues.

I don't expect to hear from them until later this week, if at all. I didn't get a chance to E-mail them until the weekend was upon us and a holiday weekend at that. Presently it would be 04:09 AM Monday morning in Vegas. I doubt they even have their coffee pot's brewing yet.

If and when I do get a responce, I doubt it will be much more than a form letter at best. Since communication from the HOA and board has been pretty minimilist in the past, I don't see why they might want to start letting owners know what they're really up to now. I even had to stumble across the sales scam someone is pulling on disgruntled PT's owners by just hitting links at the owners site. NOTHING on the homepage indicated that there might be an issue owners would need to worry about or directing owners to an important message. IMO, they either just don't have a clue or don't care what's important to owners.

It's to bad that PT's is to small and not built to standards that another company such as Marriott would take it over. I know when Marriott reach a deal to develope Grand Chatteau (would you believe that was Diamond Resort International's design and developement originally), the sales staff started hinting the Marriott was going to be taking over PT's as well. That seemed to stop shortly after Marriott took over the sales staff. In our last owners meeting, which occured after Marriott took over managing the sales staff, the salesman wasn't allowed to even say the word Marriott until we brought it up.

As I understand it, GC is no longer a joint developement with DRI. I believe the project has been bought out completely by Marriott. I had heard rumblings from our previous salesman that Marriott was about done dealing with DRI as DRI was trying to get more money out of Marriott. While it might not have been a true statement, somehow the statement didn't surprice me in the least.

Sharhu

TUG Member
Reaction score

Of course the website still lists

19th Floor Skyview Lounge – The famous Polo Towers lounge is located on the 19th floor of Tower I and overlooks the fabulous Las Vegas Strip.
An ATM machine is located in the Lounge.

The lounge is open from 8:30am – 4:00am Wednesday through Sunday and 9:00am – 2:30am Monday and Tuesday. All lounge occupants must be 21 years or.

Wonder how long they will leave that up?

Unlike the special assessment this issue that affects the Suites and Villas

I don't suppose what they are doing breaks any rules or laws, that could be used to stop it. I guess that would be too simple.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

I am in the process of putting together a Polo Towers Owners group discussion forum strictly to discuss issues with the Polo Towers timeshare if anyone remains interested.

It may take a day or two to work out the bugs so give me a little time to get it up and running to see how it's going to work out. Essentially, stay tuned, our own forum is coming.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

I have set up a forum for Polo Towers owners @ http://p201.ezboard.com/bpolotowerslasvegasownersgroup72296 . I am open to any and all suggestions about the forum and how it should be designed and run.

At the moment, the forum is on EZBoard, which is not one of my favorite's. For the next 29 days we have trial Gold status which means no pop up adds. After that they charge a small fee which can escelate based upon usage. If most of the participants already have pop up blocker, then it won't be an issue anyway.

I don't think the forum will have a ton of visitors but if it grows large enough I can start thinking about looking for a different forum. I am NOT a web master so a lot of this will be trial and (lot's) of errors for me.

However, it is a place to get started and a place for owners to discuss their concerns that maybe isn't of great interest to the larger timeshare community here at Tug.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

Dave M said:
You can find more TUGgers who own at Polo Towers by clicking on "Users List" on the above blue bar, then on "Search Users" (on the right side of the page) and then on "Advanced Search". Then enter Polo in the "Resorts Owned" box and click on "Search Now".

Thanks for the help Dave. I've sent PM's to the 13 listed owners of Polo Towers from the TUG forums. It's a small start but hopefully we'll be able to grow in numbers and power.

Something has to be done to make the HOA and BOD more responsive to the owners at Polo Towers. Over the years I've sent a few E-mails to the HOA and to date, NONE have ever been so much as answered. Not even the computer generated, "Well get back to you" answer. The only responces I've received from PT's has been from Customer Service and they are often somewhat out of the loop. It's time for owners of Polo Towers to take control before the resort is run into the ground like a few others I've read about on the TUG forums. I only hope we're not getting started to late.

Sharhu

TUG Member
Reaction score

I found the site. Thanks for setting it up. We won't be at Polo until the end of October. In the past I have met people sitting at the bar in the lounge, guess that won't happen again. I would be glad to print up some notices about the forum on my computer and hand them out to anyone I do meet while we are out there. I wouldn't want to go shoving them under doors but that may be an option. If anyone else is going to Polo in the next few months perhaps they could spread the word a bit too.

cluemeister

TUG Member
Reaction score

Doug,

How about a place in the forum to collect completed selling prices of Suites and Villas on ebay? I think those sales average about 3-5 a week, and I would be happy to post an excel spreadsheet or something similar.

hudson1126

TUG Member
Reaction score
New forum location

What about setting up your own private HOA forum on www.timeshareforums.com?

The administrator on that site can set it up for you and trouble shoot for any site management problems that arise down the road. You don't need to be web-master talented at all to be the designated group "leader"

It's got the ease and conveniences of the same software used here.

Good luck.

Last edited:

babu

TUG Member
Reaction score

sharhu

i'm going to PT at the villas in june. i'm not particularly computer literate so if you send me a copy of a notice to let owners know about our group, then i could print them and put them under doors.

babu

cluemeister

TUG Member
Reaction score

I like the idea of being on timeshareforums.com. I surf there at least every other day. It's not as busy as TUG, but there is an existing timeshare owners' base.

In addition, I would just have one forum thread there, as we can always expand it if necessary.

Thanks to Doug for taking the initiative on this!

Clue