• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2006] How much money can a timeshare Salesman make?

TJK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fletch

Too bad Fletch isn't around this board anymore. I heard he's a Marriott timeshare salesman and could probably be very insightful on this topic.

J

JoeMid

TJK said:
Too bad Fletch isn't around this board anymore. I heard he's a Marriott timeshare salesman and could probably be very insightful on this topic.
5-2-1 is too much these days, you can do better like 2-1-.25

sobefox32169

TUG Member
Reaction score
I work now and for the last tens years at the same resort, many of my owners are my repeat clients and all the stereo typical adjectives are what you make of it... be yourself have fun and believe you are doing the best for yourself and your clients each and every sale. Never LIE, your will have to keep ahead of the customers because you will get chargedback your commission if they have to give back the money.
Don't get caught up with the hype or negativity. This can be a career like any other.. forget the pie in the sky figures, it is something I don't see or hear from my area and I am in the Florida/Beach/Orlandol area, unless you are a manager or Project Director everything is based on marketing, location, and make sure the developer checks clear the bank and has an ethical company. Be able to have a referral business that makes you the most money... I love the business would have a hard time going back to the real world.. Life in any job is what you make it...

Malibu Sky

Reaction score
Ok, I know there must be some t/s salespeople "lurkers" out there....what is the real scoop??:D

S

Steamboat Bill

At least sobefox made a post...I would love to hear from others.

Although I own 4 TS and sold 2, I have only been to 2 TS presentations: DVC (very good, professional and honest) and Westgate (very hard sell with lots of trickery).

I only bought directly from Disney (very good sales agent) and got everything else on resale for over 50% discount off developer prices.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
BocaBum99 said:
... Think about it. All you need to do to get a job is go to ANY timeshare resort in any location. Tell them you would like a job. You fill out the application with your name, address and telephone number and the only other thing you put on the application is you sold timeshares for X, Y and Z and your APG is $5000.

That's generally true for all sales professional. If a person is truly good at selling, they can always get a job.

As Zig Ziglar oft said, the most secure job there is in the world is selling on full commission. If you can sell, the company for whom you work will never lay you off, because your position can always be jsutified.

And if they are stupid enough to lay you off, there will aways be a competitor ready to pick you up.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps there should be a law against "Free Gifts" for timeshare tours.

A psychologist or a patient can't receive a free gift for a consultation.

Doctors receive free gifts and trips for prescibing medication to you that might kill you. Sales is sales. People are people. My guess is that if you are a great sales person you could make a ton of money selling almost anything - but you have to go the all commission route because that is where the risk is the greatest and the money is the greatest. You have to be a person that is willing not to take NO!!!!! for an answer. If you have the smarts, the charm, the persistence, and the ability to persuade commission sales can be great. Oh, btw, it is extremely helpful to be selling a hot item. I don't think timeshares are hot right now.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
thread is from 06 and was dug up by someone who wanted to promote their business.

1950bing

Reaction score
Why in the world would you want to put yourself through that? Just look at the horriable rep. that field has! Lying to people all day long ! Telling them anything just for a sale! Get a real job and live longer. I'd rather work in a sewer!
I have never met a TS salesman that didn't think that everyone needs at least one !

Last edited:

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots

If the salesman stays on the script-Sell the company,sell the strongest trader which will get you anywhwere the sum can be huge. Doesn,t need to lie just not give all the truth and avoid answering questions which would reveal the truth. Wehave been to about 15 TS meetings over the years and bought at the firsy but not since, Our other weeks were much less and better for trading.
I had one TS salesman tell me he made over 175,000 the year before and closed over 25% of his meetings. ALso let us go with gift in less than 30 minutes. We always start the meeting with-We are here to buy if you can match the @1250 per week cost we paid for our Hawaii weeks and maintenance fees less than $500. Thensome get rid of us quick while others go thru the whole routine including the second,third,and even 4th rep.
We always say when we come we will be leaving at the latest in the usul promised no more than 90 minutes. Only once were we denied the gift and I called the sales manager and he said the gift was waiting for us. We told him where to deliver it and he did.One TS slaesman actually spent most of the time asking us how to buy a cheap Hawaii week.

mrscott

Reaction score
Take Advice from experienced reps only!

My suggestion is to listen to people who have actually sold timeshare for a legitimate period of time (several years +). I worked with several reps who made in excess of $300k per year - consistently! YES, only a small percentage makes this kind of money, but I made over $100k for several years as well. The job is only about 20-30 hrs per week! Off by noon or 1pm, $0 marketing cost to rep, clients provided, spiffs, trips etc... So my advice, IF YOU CAN SELL AND ARE GOOD WITH RAPPORT BUILDING, you probably will not find a more lucrative career without an advanced degree and years of experience in some profession!

So many people want to be the "advisors" and slam the industry, integrity, product etc but at the end of the day, most of the people I work with net as much as doctors and lawyers without the headaches or malpractice insurance costs, working 1/3 the hours.

Sell a solid brand, work hard and learn your craft. Be honest and have the motivation to help people relax more. Many reps who make huge commissions do tend to mislead and fabricate, however, no need to be a liar, just settle for $180k instead of $350k!!! and sleep well at night.:clap:

DRTVEGAS

Reaction score
VERY accurate job description. I worked in the field for 12 years. Was a "superstar" for many of those years. And yes, it is an up and down life...lol

DRTVEGAS

Reaction score
Ha! Not so! I worked at Marriott's premier T/S resort and was a top producer there. But before I was hired, EVERYTHING about my resume and background was thoroughly checked. I like that about Marriott and told my clients so. Knowing that fact actually improved my sales closing percentage, because people wanted to know they were dealing with a straight-shooter (which I am).

TSellerLV

Reaction score
I Sell Timeshare

I see that many of the posters are curious about how much we make and what the career advantages/disadvantages are to transitioning into life as a timeshare sales representative. By all accounts we are all realtors. As we are licensed through the real estate division like any other realtor. Our training is different however as we have less tests and materials to cover in training. Think of it this way. As a whole owner of real estate you need a professional trained in all of the details of your transaction but as a "fractional" owner of timeshare your sales rep would need less training in dealing with the details. It is a lesser complicated and lesser expensive alternative to buying a vacation home. Now back to me...I work for Bluegreen. One of the best programs out there. I used to work for Wyndham but spent most of my time defending the program to owners I sold who could never get in to use it when they wanted to. I learned later that it was something to do with the fact that 2 million owners often fought to get in to about the same number of resorts we have at BG with 220,000 owners. Do the math. Wyndham was an excellent company but they made it a point to let you know that they didn't need you and that you were expendable at every sales meeting. I was so refreshed to attend BG sales meetings where the staff and execs were happy to inspire you, celebrate your sales and victories, support you in your growth, and never gave up on reps that weren't making good numbers. There is one guy here that hasn't sold in 3 months...THREE MONTHS! He is in the draw terribly but they refuse to give up on him. I have not had that problem. My year to date is $58,000 and it's only coming up on April. I suspect I will make over $200k this year. People are not lying when they tell you it takes a specific skill set to work in TS. You have to have a thick skin. Be able to take the rejections with the victories. The customer is always right. NEVER pressure a customer. Desperate sales reps constantly do this and shoot themselves in the foot and it does a disservice to your potential client. If you decide to sell TS you absolutely have to believe in the company you work for. If you are with a shady developer or a crappy company then it's your own fault if it's hard to sell crap paper. Human beings can smell desperation. But a calm, well dressed, confident sales person can sell a $40k package to someone in bankruptcy! Because the desire for the product will be so high that they will FIND a way to buy it. However, you have to be comfortable enough in your job and as a person to try to recommend that they not over purchase. Your first duty is to your client and to the company SECOND! Remember...it's YOUR license with the real estate division that will be suspended for "pitching heat" as we call it or just plain LYING. I am in such a comfortable position that I only recommend what my clients can use so they pay the smallest maintenance fees and lowest cost for their package possible. With that disposition, you may not sell the $40k package all the time but just imagine selling a $6000 package half of the time and making it completely affordable for common people to enjoy the luxury of vacationing like a millionaire! VERY rewarding! Not to mention after 40 tours in a month that would be well over $200k in volume or $30k + in earnings for the month. I have been here for over a year and have only made less than $17k once and that was $11k on a slow month. It is definitely not the norm. You have to come to work confident and happy. Do your check up from the neck up and whenever you get your guest you have to shed your desire to sell them and just get to know them. We are all living on this planet at the same time. Take that as the blessing it is. Enjoy your company. And if they enjoy you, they will be more open to take an honest look at your program. This is how I excel. Most cannot. The stresses and pressure of every day life make it hard to adjust your bad attitude to an attitude of gratitude. So if you have a firm grip on your emotions, a love of people, and great knowledge of the good, bad, and ugly sides of timeshare, then you will be successful. But you first must DECIDE to be.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Then the thread was resurrected again from 2010. Then a year ago. It seems to happen every so often then quietly go back into hibernation.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
TSellerLV's post was refreshing. Thanks for posting. Wish that attitude could be indoctrinated into some of the other timeshares, wherever.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I've never made it a secret that I once sold timeshares. I liked the program so much, I bought one and paid full freight for it. (Although, I got the commission, and all the rebates, and all that.)

But I paid the same amount that everyone else pays. Hyatt is an ethical company. Yes, they're still cheaper on the resale market. But buying one actually helped my sales career. "I bought such-and-such unit for such-and-such week, and here's how I used it last year." So I made everything back in increased sales.

It is, for the most part, a fun job. You get to talk to a lot of different people from a lot of different walks of life. I pitched to major league baseball players, hot rod racers, doctors, lawyers, CEOs, pilots, you name it.

And it was an EASY job. Because if you know the program backwards and forwards, roughly half the people who attend the presentation will want it, and half of those people can afford it.

The only downside was dealing with timeshare mooches (an industry term, not my term). There are some incredibly negative people out there, who are going to try to make your life as miserable as possible for the entire presentation. I don't even know why such people go to presentations. They obviously are incapable of having fun. They should stay at home. "They couldn't have fun in a cathouse with a fist full of fifty dollar bills," was a popular assessment of these people.

And frankly, you would not BELIEVE the amount of people who told me that they have cancer. Apparently, one third of all Americans are battling stage IV cancer right now. Because roughly one in three tried that excuse on me. They couldn't tell me if they had sarcoma, carcinoma, or lymphoma. They didn't know what an oncologist does for a living. But by golly they had the cancer. They had LOTS of cancer. And thanks so much but we won't be buying anything cuz we gots the cancer but good. Both of us. The kids and the cat, too. Cancer all around.

It was an unusual day if one of my tours didn't play the cancer card. Some days EVERY tour played the cancer card.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only downside was dealing with timeshare mooches (an industry term, not my term). There are some incredibly negative people out there, who are going to try to make your life as miserable as possible for the entire presentation. I don't even know why such people go to presentations. They obviously are incapable of having fun. They should stay at home.

I'm at the point now where I'm tired of saying "NO" multiple times before I can get my parking pass.

I'm OK with telling her, "If it furthers your career, I'll attend and buy nothing, or not attend and buy nothing. Your choice."

We're retired, so we have plenty of time to play their game.

That doesn't make us mooches or miserable people, but we should be rewarded to be "room fill" like any temp employee.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only downside was dealing with timeshare mooches (an industry term, not my term). There are some incredibly negative people out there, who are going to try to make your life as miserable as possible for the entire presentation. I don't even know why such people go to presentations. They obviously are incapable of having fun. They should stay at home. "They couldn't have fun in a cathouse with a fist full of fifty dollar bills," was a popular assessment of these people.

It was an unusual day if one of my tours didn't play the cancer card. Some days EVERY tour played the cancer card.

Theres a real disconnect between what the "parking pass" people say and the you are saying here.

The folks whose job it is to fill the sales room will argue that this is a free lunch that all owners are entitled to. That its important that everyone be up to date on the recent changes to the club. They will continue to tell me this even after I let them know that Ive been blacklisted and I know that sales does not want to see me, and that they will call me in the morning to cancel.
Ive even been met in the lobby by the sales manager who turned me away.

So its easier to just say yes to the meeting and wait for my cancellation call.

So its not that I said yes to get my bribe, I said yes to speed up the check in process.

Sales should have to man that check in desk themselves,and screen us themselves. Ie sit the desk on Monday and make their own appointments for Tuesday,

Oh and cancer is the one thing that we can say to back some salesman off. The thought is that even a timeshare salesman wouldnt try to sell to a dead man. but maybe not..I know I tried to sell a mutual fund to a widow at the funeral home

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never made it a secret that I once sold timeshares. I liked the program so much, I bought one and paid full freight for it. (Although, I got the commission, and all the rebates, and all that.)
...<snip>...

Yes, your job was frustrating and eventually, you went to work somewhere else. And I hope you were happier in your new career.

I go on vacation to relax and sleep in. I am exhausted to no end by getting everything ready for my workers while I am gone. I try to foresee the 1000 things that MIGHT need attention before I get back, because I don't want to handle them from 1000 miles away or be forced to return home days earlier.

On my last trip, I got 5 hours added onto my original airport & flying time of 7 hours. I had 2 connecting flights AFTER I was already boarded the plane. Peanuts were the ONLY food as I traversed across BOTH Atlanta airport and Las Vegas (unplanned) airport. I left PHL (6AM) to go to PHX. I arrived PHX at 4:30PM (local time). The airline "gave me" a $200 flight coupon --- AND (SURPRISE the next day) they also CANCELLED my booked returned trip because I didn't make my original ATL-PHX flight (it was your stupid original PHL-ATL plane that was late which is why you had new boarding passes already printed for me and the other 7 loss passengers). And this was for a 5 night trip.

And then the HANGTAG staff wants me to spend 4+ hours for an Owner's Update to tell me the NEW EXCITING Club Pass program --- and to call me every morning, to beg again. Or to hassle me, if I got to the lobby to print something off the computer (like directions).

So if is easier to go, take the $100 (remember, I only got $200 for 5 additional hours of airline prisoner time) and annoy their staff if their management has a BAD business plan.

And yes I have cancer, too. Do you want to SEE my scars for the incision and the 25 staple marks from my surgery May 2014?

Last edited:

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
I see that many of the posters are curious about how much we make and what the career advantages/disadvantages are to transitioning into life as a timeshare sales representative. By all accounts we are all realtors. As we are licensed through the real estate division like any other realtor. Our training is different however as we have less tests and materials to cover in training. Think of it this way. As a whole owner of real estate you need a professional trained in all of the details of your transaction but as a "fractional" owner of timeshare your sales rep would need less training in dealing with the details. It is a lesser complicated and lesser expensive alternative to buying a vacation home. Now back to me...I work for Bluegreen. One of the best programs out there. I used to work for Wyndham but spent most of my time defending the program to owners I sold who could never get in to use it when they wanted to. I learned later that it was something to do with the fact that 2 million owners often fought to get in to about the same number of resorts we have at BG with 220,000 owners. Do the math. Wyndham was an excellent company but they made it a point to let you know that they didn't need you and that you were expendable at every sales meeting. I was so refreshed to attend BG sales meetings where the staff and execs were happy to inspire you, celebrate your sales and victories, support you in your growth, and never gave up on reps that weren't making good numbers. There is one guy here that hasn't sold in 3 months...THREE MONTHS! He is in the draw terribly but they refuse to give up on him. I have not had that problem. My year to date is $58,000 and it's only coming up on April. I suspect I will make over $200k this year. People are not lying when they tell you it takes a specific skill set to work in TS. You have to have a thick skin. Be able to take the rejections with the victories. The customer is always right. NEVER pressure a customer. Desperate sales reps constantly do this and shoot themselves in the foot and it does a disservice to your potential client. If you decide to sell TS you absolutely have to believe in the company you work for. If you are with a shady developer or a crappy company then it's your own fault if it's hard to sell crap paper. Human beings can smell desperation. But a calm, well dressed, confident sales person can sell a $40k package to someone in bankruptcy! Because the desire for the product will be so high that they will FIND a way to buy it. However, you have to be comfortable enough in your job and as a person to try to recommend that they not over purchase. Your first duty is to your client and to the company SECOND! Remember...it's YOUR license with the real estate division that will be suspended for "pitching heat" as we call it or just plain LYING. I am in such a comfortable position that I only recommend what my clients can use so they pay the smallest maintenance fees and lowest cost for their package possible. With that disposition, you may not sell the $40k package all the time but just imagine selling a $6000 package half of the time and making it completely affordable for common people to enjoy the luxury of vacationing like a millionaire! VERY rewarding! Not to mention after 40 tours in a month that would be well over $200k in volume or $30k + in earnings for the month. I have been here for over a year and have only made less than $17k once and that was $11k on a slow month. It is definitely not the norm. You have to come to work confident and happy. Do your check up from the neck up and whenever you get your guest you have to shed your desire to sell them and just get to know them. We are all living on this planet at the same time. Take that as the blessing it is. Enjoy your company. And if they enjoy you, they will be more open to take an honest look at your program. This is how I excel. Most cannot. The stresses and pressure of every day life make it hard to adjust your bad attitude to an attitude of gratitude. So if you have a firm grip on your emotions, a love of people, and great knowledge of the good, bad, and ugly sides of timeshare, then you will be successful. But you first must DECIDE to be.
What?

Do you have a Real Estate Salesperson License or a Timeshare License?

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-645.html

As a Timeshare Sales Agent, your licensed under NRS 119A, Time Shares, not under NRS 645, Real Estate.

http://leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-119A.html

Specifically, the definition of a Salesman and those authorized to use the term are defined in: NRS 645.040 & NRS 645.044.

http://leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-119A.html

Do you belong to the Las Vegas Board of Realtors? If you are not a member of the board, your not a Realtor, and should not be holding yourself out as such. Your a Timeshare Sales Agent. Only individuals licensed as a Broker or Salesman can join the Board of Realtors.

http://www.lasvegasrealtor.com/becomerealtor/

http://www.ehow.com/how_2156889_join-national-association-realtors.html

Calling yourself a Real Estate Agent, Real Estate Licensee, Real Estate Salesperson, or Realtor, when you hold a Timeshare License and are not licensed as a Salesperson/Broker and/or a member of the Board of Realtors is no different that calling yourself a CPA or Attorney, when you are not one. It is not only unethical, it is illegal.

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
And then the HANGTAG staff wants me to spend 4+ hours for an Owner's Update to tell me the NEW EXCITING Club Pass program --- and to call me every morning, to beg again. Or to hassle me, if I got to the lobby to print something off the computer (like directions).

I've never had to deal with such malarkey, ever. And I take two or three timeshare vacations each year.

I politely decline, sometimes telling them I have absolutely no interest in whatever lure they're using this week. And that's that.

The main reason I'm still not in sales is because after we moved, there wasn't any program like Hyatt's in my location. I'm not going to bother trying to sell something that doesn't work and I don't believe in.

I went to a couple timeshare companies in town and decided that I wasn't going to lie through my teeth for a living and changed careers. I was also glad to be rid of the indignant, surly, miserable blowhards who made it their life's mission to make my hour-and-a-half with them the worst hour-and-a-half of my life because they decided to take the mini-vacation or prize of the week. Roughly one in 10 people are like that. The other 90% of the tours were very pleasant. As I said before, it's an easy, fun job -- most of the time.

TSellerLV

Reaction score
I am in fact a licensed real estate agent as well and sell commercial real estate aside from TS. Thank you for your assessment however. For some reason there are a plethora of angry little people who thrive on going into boards to try to make people feel insignificant, wrong, or bad about themselves. I pray for people like you. But if your little display of TS License knowledge made you feel like a man or intelligent in any way, then more power to you.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I am in fact a licensed real estate agent as well and sell commercial real estate aside from TS. Thank you for your assessment however. For some reason there are a plethora of angry little people who thrive on going into boards to try to make people feel insignificant, wrong, or bad about themselves. I pray for people like you. But if your little display of TS License knowledge made you feel like a man or intelligent in any way, then more power to you.

I am a real estate agent in Florida and in your defense being called a Realtor just means you paid the National Association of Realtors their extortion fees. Any real estate agent can do this. In our state you must be a licensed real estate agent and take the exact same prelicensing course as anyone else on the business just to sell a timeshare.

Bluegreen is a great product so it doesn't surprise me that you are able to make a nice living selling their points. Count me as a happy BG owner. Good luck and keep selling.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

No need to feel bad about yourself and but you didnt say you were a Realtor®.

If you are I think you either violate the Code of Ethics on a regular basis, or you have seen enough to know what Linda is talking about. The exaggerations, mis-information and outright lies that I have been presented with as absolute truth is staggering

Personally I dont care what you do or did in a sales room...Hell, Id rob a bank if I thought I could get away with it, but if you are a Realtor®, you are violating the code of ethics when you lie or exaggerate and when you dont disclose the existence of the secondary market where your customer can see the exact same property you are selling for a fraction of the cost

From the Realtor Code of Ethics

"When serving a buyer, seller, landlord, tenant or other party in a non-agency capacity, REALTORS® remain obligated to treat all parties honestly"

"REALTORS®, when seeking to become a buyer/tenant representative, shall not mislead buyers or tenants as to savings or other benefits that might be realized through use of the REALTOR®’s services."

"REALTORS® shall avoid exaggeration, misrepresentation, or concealment of pertinent facts relating to the property or the transaction."

"REALTORS® shall be honest and truthful in their real estate communications"