• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2006] Another Encroachment Problem

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Yesterday, 03:40 PM
JLB
Funny Incident

When we turned the Bill of Sale in yesterday, there was one other guy there in the Corps office, trying to get something straightened out.

An hour later as we were leaving Wal Mart, he was coming in, "So, I said, How's everything over at the Corps?" We laughed and he told us about all the problems he is having.

When we told him the problems we were having with the ones running our community dock, he understood. We told him they want to rebuild and the price is $7700 per slip. Since $5500 is about the going rate he couldn't believe it. He wanted to know what all they were having done.

Then we told him that the Corps waived the unanimous approval rule so we couldn't do anything about it. He said, Oh, you mean they just want to add slips and we said, no, rebuild the whole dock.

He said, "They can't do that!"

Oh yeah?

We haven't from the Corps yet.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Same Song Next Verse

Today we were in the local hardware store buying dock stuff. The guy putting our solar electric system together came in, so we were all standing there talking docks.

The guy who owns the hardware store said they, too, are having problems with the Corps. Theirs is the same, but opposite decision by the Corps. They want to add a swim deck to their community dock. That is another item that requires 100% approval. All but one owner approves it and the dissenting owner will not be paying for anything, and the Corps will not give them approval.

Same situation as ours, different answer from the Corps.

What's going on?

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
What Would You Do?

It's a nice day for a change so Jenny and I decided to stroll on down to check out our boat in the community dock and then do some work on our dock.

When we got to the community dock we saw that one of the bullies' bass boat was almost capsized. He had done the same dumb thing he did last winter, strapped his boat cover to the lift frame. When the lift goes down (from an air leak) it capsizes the boat.

These folks go to California for the winter and they were gone when that happened last year. Jenny and I, the head bully, and another slipowner bailed the boat out then, and got it taken care of. The guy knows we helped but never thanked us.

Since they came back last Spring they have done nothing but vilify us with hate, slander and defamation. Not long ago his wife walked over to the road in front of our house, crossed herself, took out a piece of paper, read a prayer, sprinkled holy water on our front yard, crossed herself and went back home. They are one of the couples planning and executing all the crap against us.

The boatowner bully saw us going to the dock, so they would all blame us if the boat sank. They are leaving for California in four days. It was clearly just a matter of hours, or minutes, before the boat sank.

What would you do?

chap7

Banned
Reaction score
Jim, If you allow their boat to capsize, I don't see any chance of you ever working it out with them. If you tell them, there is still the slight possibility that you all can come to an understanding. It's really depends on how you read the situation.

If it were me and I did not see ANY chance of reaching a compromise, I would let it sink. But then again, I'm a vindictive son of a gun.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
JLB said:
The boatowner bully saw us going to the dock, so they would all blame us if the boat sank.

Why don't you tell the bully that his friend's boat is about to sink and let the bullies save it.

I don't know what I would do. If it involved a great deal of effort, I'd have a hard time going out of my way to help. OTOH, I'd have a hard time standing by while the boat sinks too.

It's time to move and stop torturing yourself!

Deb

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as the boatowner is still there, tell him that the boat is in danger of capsizing. If he ignores you, or won't take the message, why not contact the local sheriff/law enfocement officer for your area, and inform them. (You might want to type/print-out a letter of your concerns, and have the law officer sign and acknowledge that you told him about the problem, and when you did.)

Tony

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
JLB said:
What would you do?

Man, you can't match up with their forces. They've got gawd on their side. All they need to do is have him snap his fingers and the boat will be levitated. But you better watch out he'll snap his fingers and your timeshare will catch fire.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Of course, I had already taken action before I posted here. Sometimes I actually go ahead and do stuff before I ask what to do on TUG! :D

Since capsizing was imminent, I had to in this case.

First we tried to call him on our cell phone. Jenny had deleted them from our address book and we just guessed at their number. It rang but no one answered.

I went to another who owns in the dock, one who has supported the bullies but not initiated stuff. He is also the one that helped the Head Bully, Jenny and I when this happened last winter.

He saw me coming and met me at the door, all fake smile and greeting. I said, "Not that I ever got any thanks from him last year and not that he deserves my help, but you better go tell your good friend that his boat is just about under water." He said, "Again?"

The two of them went to the dock and took care of it.

About an hour later, as Jenny and I were working on our dock, the guy whose boat we just saved (again) drove to the ramp across the cove and watched for awhile. When we got back to our house he was over at ex-cop bully's house and then those two went down to their dock, passing our house on the way.

And do you think he said thanks?

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, I hope this has a happy ending.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Patri said:
Oh, I hope this has a happy ending.

Here's the ending:

We are all going to die.

Some involved will go to Hell and two will go to heaven. :D
- - - - -

I just noticed that you are back in the work force after XXX years. Are you sure that's the way you want to say that? :cool:

- - - - -

Also, I have gone through some rough stretches in my life, but everything has always had a happy, or reasonably close to it, ending.

Thanks.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Now Mark has a certified letter waiting for him from the guy who is speaking for the community dock, obviously to see if he got the last letter, the one asking for $7700 (after they told the Corps they would pay his share).

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Eric in McLean said:
Ever heard of adverse possession? In some states, it may be as short as 7 years.

Yup. It's been discussed, here and elsewhere, but thanks.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
It's been two weeks since I sent an email to the Corps giving our side, and asking for them to put whatever agreement they have with the others in the dock in writing, so we know what's going on.

We haven't heard anything from anyone.

The last couple of days the old farts have been acting hateful again, so they must know something.

Maybe someone will clue us in someday.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
After posting last night we had an ugly incident with the head bully. I had gone to see why someone was snooping around the yard of the house next-door to the head bully. The 85-year-old man who lives there is away and he had asked me to keep my eye on it. I called him and he asked me to go see what the people were up to.

When I did the head bully came rushing over, cussing me and telling the people to ignore me. I put them on the phone with the owner of the house and then went back home.

This morning our street light was out. The electric company came out to replace it and gave me the old one, saying it had been shot out with a BB gun. I reported it and the deputy did not even bother to go talk to the head bully, who was out in the yard watching him.

Last edited:

JeffV

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Why should the deputy talk to anyone else, for all he knew you shot out the light yourself.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shooting out a street light with a BB gun is a major offense. The criminal who did it could be facing 5-10 years of hard labor. My gawd, what is this world coming to !! Better get homeland insecurity on it as it really smacks of a terrorist at work. First the street light then something in a burning bag on your porch. Careful, don't step on it!!

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
JeffV said:
Why should the deputy talk to anyone else, for all he knew you shot out the light yourself.

Duh, some folks say the obvious!

Of course that's what he would say, that I shot out my own light to get him in trouble.

That is exactly why he is not in jail, cuz he and the assistant bullies have been telling the sheriff that I am the one doing to them what they have been doing to us.

The guy with the electric company returned my call a little while ago. Jenny told him the street light had been shot out and he said, "We know who did that, don't we?"

Another, Duh! Everyone knows exactly who has been doing what, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Topeka Tom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Helpful Comment

The power company guy probably was the same guy who had to black out part of Jim's yard light because it was shining in the old geezer's window 300 yards (or was it feet?) away. Everybody should know that is not possible, so even the power company is aware of what is going on.

I thought I would explain the situation, because it is kind of complex if you are just trolling.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Topeka Tom said:
The power company guy probably was the same guy who had to black out part of Jim's yard light because it was shining in the old geezer's window 300 yards (or was it feet?) away. Everybody should know that is not possible, so even the power company is aware of what is going on.

I thought I would explain the situation, because it is kind of complex if you are just trolling.

Thanks, Tom.

You are right that just the casual observer gets a very distorted view of the situation. Those who have visited us have a better grasp of how really convoluted it is.

Except for the fact that I had to try to explain 8 years worth of crap to a new person for the hundredth time and I know it is not possible to do that properly, we had a very interesting meeting with the attorney today.

We have a new temporary game plan. Do nothing.

It is his opinion that all the Corps has done is washed their hands of it. They did not give the others in our dock any powers to do anything they didn't have before. And, they didn't have any powers to do anything before.

Those who have taken over the dock are attempting to conduct business over a piece of property with ten equal shares. Absent the legal framework of an Association, they still need the approval of all ten owners to do anything with it. They have no power to bill us, force us into a legal contract without our cooperation, or sue us.

But, until they make that realization, there's nothing they can do or we can do to bring about a compromise.

Like I said Thanksgiving Day, we are ready to put this behind us any time they are.

He suggested that we attempt to begin a dialogue with the least offensive of the three bullies, which we will do, maybe, when we return from Florida.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
We got back from 3 weeks in Florida yesterday.

The street light is out again.

In addition, the bulb in our outside security light, on our house, had been unscrewed from the socket. To do that someone would have had to come onto our property and put up a ladder to get to it.

It's hard to believe that those doing this are 70-ish, rather than adolescent.

We had planned on making an effort to start the reconciliation process when we got back from vacation. Now we are faced with calling the electric company, and probably the sheriff.

Oh well, it was nice to get away, to the real world, and spend time with folks who don't have the emotional problems a couple of our neighbors have.

resp20

TUG Member
Reaction score
Catch em at it

Jim, Have you ever looked into buying some security cameras? There are some very very small one's out there and you could record the areas that these things happen and build a nice case against them. Bill

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, c'mon down here and be a deputy. ;)

That's what they all say.

My answer is always the same, that we have already turned over to the Chief Deputy, the Sheriff, and the prosecutor, all the evidence they would need to prosecute. Audio recordings, photos, and admissions of guilt from the perps.

However, Jenny said it would be nice that if the electric company will replace the bulb again that we could get a video of it being shot out, and it would have been nice to have gotten the OF on video climbing on the ladder against our house to unscrew our light bulb.

But, in the scheme of things I don't believe those are things the Prosecutor would be interested in. He likes murders, rapes (normally involving family members) meth labs, and ladies who set their boyfriends on fire. :eek:

The Prosecutor simply chooses to look the other way. More evidence will likely not help. he told me this is clearly just a matter of two neighbors who can;t get along. At one point I believe that the amazing accumulation of little things would turn against the OF. But not any more. The OF publicly and openly says he can do anything he wants and no one can do anything about it. He even tells the deputies that. Then he calls them liars when they challenge him. That's all in their reports.

I guess one of the benefits of senility, a large amount of beer consumption, and getting by with being a bully all your life, is that you do feel omnipotent.

I have talked to the sheriff about this guy and he claims to have no idea who he is. But the other Old Fart perp is an ex-cop, and we know he has gone to the Sheriff on his own, the Blue Line.

All that being said, while in Florida we saw what has to be the smallest mini-camcorder made, an Audiovox DC400. I googled it when we got home yesterday, found some decent reviews on epinions and another site, and a price that beat QVC's. Then, after discovering the situation with the lights, we ordered one.

Our great aunt and Uncle were out for dinner tonight. He's 80 and said I made my mistake 7 years ago when I let our neighbor get away with chewing my --- out for a minor matter. He says I shoulda beat the crap out of him then and had this over with. :D

resp20 said:
Jim, Have you ever looked into buying some security cameras? There are some very very small one's out there and you could record the areas that these things happen and build a nice case against them. Bill

Last edited: