• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

20 Year old Woman Dies at Playa del Carmen Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going back to the original story - before the tangential transition into HI deaths with convoluted 'facts' - if someone dies because of some type of drug/poison - it would be detected in the corpse. Instead of the interesting 'what ifs' - if the family is so determined to show that it couldn't possible be their children's fault. Get a blood sample and send it for complete forensic analysis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo. However, a blood analysis/toxicology was done as is protocol at autopsy. Drugs found: none. Now, the conspiracy folks that feed on sensationalism are already thinking "the forensics were tampered with....they hid the evidence..."

Or, two young people got themselves inebriated and dove into a pool.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Bingo. However, a blood analysis/toxicology was done as is protocol at autopsy. Drugs found: none. Now, the conspiracy folks that feed on sensationalism are already thinking "the forensics were tampered with....they hid the evidence..."

Or, two young people got themselves inebriated and dove into a pool.
The story I read said they did not have the toxicology results. Do you have a link to where it says "Drugs found: none"?

I doubt they were drugged as well, by the way. Your explanation is certainly possible and logical.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sensationalism continues......:doh:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the two young people in this instance were drunk and dove in. My "how do you prevent this" question was in response to the article (which was't really related to this incident) I posted, which later got merged into this thread. The context was different. And was also answered earlier: drink bottled beverages only, or don't go to Iberostar resorts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
The drunk diving accidents are less frequently then drunk driving.

But I believe drunk diving accidents can happen in New Jersey, or else where on earth.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Look out Phydeaux, State department now issues warning:

Alcohol: There have been allegations that consumption of tainted or substandard alcohol has resulted in illness or blacking out. If you choose to drink alcohol, it is important to do so in moderation and to stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/mexico.html

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
An alternative is to consume only raicilla. Then you know with certainty that you are consuming hooch.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look out Phydeaux, State department now issues warning:

Alcohol: There have been allegations that consumption of tainted or substandard alcohol has resulted in illness or blacking out. If you choose to drink alcohol, it is important to do so in moderation and to stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/mexico.html

What warning? From your link: Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum): No advisory is in effect. However, U.S. citizens should exercise caution when traveling south of Felipe Carrillo Puerto or east of Jose Maria Morelos as cellular and internet services are virtually non-existent.
Yucatan (includes Merida and Chichen Itza): No advisory is in effect.

Allegation:
"an assertion unsupported and by implication regarded as unsupportable" Webster

There are many millions of tourists that vacation in this region annually. Given the fact that these tourists who are on vacation tend to imbibe in alcoholic drinks, many to the point of excess, doesn't simple logic suggest that there would be hundreds, perhaps thousands of examples of vacationers being poisoned?

If AI's or other establishments were tampering with their alcohol, the question that logic suggests is why? To get the non-suspecting gringo really really really drunk? The latest allegation re. of the two young people certainly didn't need any help in their intoxication mission, given the rate they were drinking shots. Why? Extra tips?? Robbery? What happens if they got caught? Perhaps the resort would close faster than a wind blown door, and the bartenders would be out on the street, jobless. Tourism is this regions golden egg. Do you honestly believe locals are willing to see it disappear?

I'm not suggesting people abandon caution and drink whatever, wherever. Although I have sampled some raicilla in Yalapa, Mexico and enjoyed it from an old worn jug. I'm just trying to convey people need to be a bit less gullible, and refrain from sensationalism, regardless of it's source.

Last edited:

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was the opening story on Today Show re the Mexico tainted alcohol and the State Department warning. Seems to me best not to drink any alcohol in Mexico as if it's tainted then bad things can and have happened.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Honestly, some should just stay at home.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Allegations. Just that.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Its under safety and security:
View attachment 4392

Sincerely, Just the Messenger.

That message would apply almost every where and anytime you can not see your drink being prepared. Hawaii has okolehao which is illegal. There are plenty of illegal distilleries in the USA and Canada. Probably more so than in Mexico.

IMO, a person should know what they are drinking and eating. I think the strongest hooch I ever had was distilled in Montana. It was some kind of everclear. In Mexico I think the strongest hooch I ever had was racilla or 180 proof rum.

Curently, Im only drinking an occasional beer.

Bill

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course, that makes perfect sense. Now tell it to the 15 million or so travelers that will be vacationing in this region this year. Good luck with that.

For some, best to stay home and watch more TV..

Thinking most people won't catch the warnings and be at risk, but can't say there wasn't warning being made public. Trying to minimize this won't help either imho, so rather then more TV go somewhere else is my solution

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
So it may be some of the alcohol at resorts is not what it appears to be. Many all-inclusive resorts now charge an additional fee for "top-shelf" liquor. Is that the code for legally-produced alcohol? Personally, I avoid AIs and drink the stuff I bought in the grocery store at my timeshare resort.

Regardless of the alcohol incident, Mexican cartels have been slowly moving into areas that they left untouched before. One of those areas is Quintana Roo.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-narcos-take-their-war-into-hot-beach-resorts

That makes it likely for more people to be on the take. Don't leave your common sense at home when you travel. You might not think that you're a rich person, but to the average resort worker, you are.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I for one am not buying the line of tainted alcohol.

I think it's bullshi#

A story from a family that lost their daughter to inebriation 6 months ago gained media traction now seeking $$$ from the AI where it happened, and now every sucker is jumping on the bandwagon.

I'll pass, thanks.

Been traveling to Mexico for the past 25 years, and have never had anything that even came close to resembling this BS story. Fake news. Getting really tired of it to.

Stick with Disneyland, a make believe world.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Well, I for one am not buying the line of tainted alcohol.

I think it's bullshi#

A story from a family that lost their daughter to inebriation 6 months ago gained media traction now seeking $$$ from the AI where it happened, and now every sucker is jumping on the bandwagon.

I'll pass, thanks.

Been traveling to Mexico for the past 25 years, and have never had anything that even came close to resembling this BS story. Fake news. Getting really tired of it to.

Stick with Disneyland, a make believe world.
Life of the party, as they say. #notinvited

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
From everything I've read, I do suspect that some Iberostar employees were in cahoots with a local hospital to extort money from tourists. What makes this noteworthy and newsworthy is that one of the victims, a young and attractive American from a well-to-do family, actually died.

In this particular case, I might have believed it was just a tragic accident if one person in their party overindulged and accidentally drowned. But 2 in the same party? On the same day? In the middle of the afternoon, with presumably dozens of people milling around? I don't know about you, but the last time I seriously overindulged, my stomach heaved it and hoed it out of my stomach before I could process it all. I certainly didn't black out and wake up in a hospital. And then we have a 5* hotel that conveniently lacks surveillance cameras, and a hospital that doesn't take credit cards. Yeah, the whole story stinks to high heavens, especially since the brother was at least a half a foot taller and heavier than his sister, not to mention a college student and an accomplished binge drinker (by his own admission).

In any event, true or false, these kinds of alleged shenanigans aren't limited to Mexico. You'll find scams and corruption everywhere in the world, including the good old US. Just google "Tourist scams" and be prepared to be shocked at how audacious some are. One notorious example is where a vendor will rent a jet ski (or moped) to a tourist, and afterwards claim the tourist damaged the jet ski. The vendor will demand payment for the damage, which will conveniently be bartered down to whatever cash the tourist has on his person.

And then we have the infamous "cover charge" scam where tourists are lured into bars by "friendly locals" who chat them up and invite them for a drink at a particular bar...trouble is, when the tourist tries to leave, the manager points to a sign at the front door that says "Minimum order $100" or something like that.

My BIL and SIL were actually scammed by a Mexican police officer, or someone dressing up as one. They and another couple were taking a taxi in Mexico (Cancun?) and a policeman pulled them over. The cop claimed the driver ran a stop sign, and demanded $100 from each of them or he threatened to take them all to jail.

So, I think people who automatically say, "No way!" to this story are naive, while those who think that it was a rape or kidnapping attempt are maybe overthinking it. Because the common thread in all tourist scams is money. And I can certainly believe that a group of people concocted a plan to get rich by using tainted alcohol to sicken tourists. It makes perfect sense to operate out of a luxury brand that offers an AI plan, because their marks are rich, drunk tourists. Think about it:

A bartender targets an affluent-looking guest who is drinking (so witnesses can testify to that), and who is clearly there with a loved one. He simply helps them along their journey by serving them tainted drinks. When the guest becomes incapacitated, the helpful manager will usher them off to a "preferred" hospital for treatment. When the loved one arrives, worried sick, the hospital takes advantage of their unique vulnerability by demanding a few thousand bucks payment... up front. They won't accept credit cards, of course, because the traveler could dispute the charge after the fact, and because credit cards leave a paper trail. That would risk exposing certain patterns that would allow a credit card company or law enforcement to connect the dots. No, they want cold, hard cash, and even have a person on hand who can drive them to the ATM or bank so that they can access cash. They really didn't want their marks to die, as their goal is to shake them loose for some cash, not actually permanently harm anyone.

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
some Iberostar employees were in cahoots with a local hospital to extort money from tourists.
Really? What proof of this does anyone have? Can you provide a single instance of validation? One? Just one.

. But 2 in the same party? On the same day? In the middle of the afternoon, with presumably dozens of people milling around?

Yes, within minutes apart, actually. Did you read the details? Apparently not, this did not take place in the middle of the afternoon, and there weren’t dozens of people milling around.

They were drinking at the swim up bar. The swim up bar closes at 5pm. She was seen sitting on the side of the pool at 7:04pm, visibly intoxicated. She was found unconscious in the pool after that. If they were at the pool bar being served by a bartender, it would have been before 5pm. If they had time to be served at least 6 shots (according to the brother), that would mean they had been sitting there for a fair bit prior to 5pm when the pool bar closes. No idea of their alcohol intake on their flight in. In Jan, when they traveled, it is dark by 6:15-6:30pm. So when she was seen alive after 7pm, it was dark. Guests of the hotel are getting ready for dinner or eating dinner by 7pm, the pool area is not packed with people. The pool at the IB* Beach/del Mar is 3,280 feet long, it's one of the largest pool in all of Riviera Maya. Is it so strange to believe why no one saw what happened to this girl?

Odd to understand that a BA level of .25 is enough to cause such an unfortunate incident? .25 is alcohol poisoning level, past blacking out to unconscious level. This is a tragedy for sure, someone died. But looking to place blame, possibly for financial gain, is unwarranted.

And then we have a 5* hotel that conveniently lacks surveillance cameras,

Have you been to Mexico? Do all of the resorts that you have stayed at there have surveillance cameras. How about fire sprinkler systems, for that matter? Have you ever seen ONE? Smoke alarms in your rooms? Where?

since the brother was at least a half a foot taller and heavier than his sister, not to mention a college student and an accomplished binge drinker (by his own admission)

Accomplished drinker at the age of 21? Seriously His sister, 20, under the age of drinking. Admitted to doing multiple shots within a short period of time.

And I can certainly believe that a group of people concocted a plan to get rich by using tainted alcohol to sicken tourists. It makes perfect sense to operate out of a luxury brand that offers an AI plan, because their marks are rich, drunk tourists.

Makes perfect sense, huh? So the bartenders are “in cahoots” with: 1. Ambulance drivers/first arrival medical personnel that assess the victim 2. Emergency room physicians that treat the victim on arrival 3. Supporting ER physicians called to resuscitate 4. Laboratory personnel, phlebobotomists, lab techs and their associated personnel, 5. Senior ER physicians called to emergency situation with tourist critical 6. Coroner 7. All blood tests and toxicology personnel combined to falsify bloo/toxicology results. Do you have any idea of how many people this step alone encompasses? 8. All of the other personnel I undoubtedly missed. Makes perfect sense, right? And they're all going to get rich, right? And each and every one of these people are corrupt to the core, every one of them, right? And where is the money coming from?

A bartender targets an affluent-looking guest

Of course, because they were wearing affluent swimming trunks, right? And were wearing gold chains, diamond necklaces, and were carrying wads of cash at their all inclusive, right? When pigs fly.

One question for you, Lisa: How does a person poolside end up in a swimming pool, unconscious, with a golf ball sized lump on their forehead? By striking their head on something, right? No?? Someone struck this poor fella? Really? In the center of his forehead? How many injuries have you treated in the ER where someone was struck by someone else where they where hit in this region of the head? Let me help you: first, the forehead is the middle, frontal protion of your face. How does someone end up face down in a swimming pool with a broken clavicle? Let me help you - the clavicle is what you refer to as your collar bone. How does one typically fracture their collar bone? How many collar bone fractures have you seen in the ER that were the cause of someone other than the patient?

As far as the bit about hospitals wanting cash, the hospital wants to be paid upfront. They cannot verify US insurance info there. Most US policies won't pay in Mexico. If they will pay, they don't pay upfront. So yes, the hospital wants payment right away because they're not stupid. They know you're a tourist and once you leave the country, getting paid becomes a slim to none chance.

I think you're naive, have a vivid imagination, and undoubtedly watch far too much TV. How much cash does someone bring with them to a AI pool?

Is it really that difficult to accept that two young people got themselves inebriated upon arrival, and then dove into the shallow end of the pool? No? It must be something much more sinister, right?

Why? Because their parents said so? Because fake news media sensationalizes this story? Because it's Mexico? Is it within the realm of possibility that human beings will search for reasons to blame anyone but themselves when a tragedy occurs to their own child? You've never heard of this? Really? We're talking about parents that allowed their underaged daughter, and barely legal son to have at it with alcohol on arrival at their resort. You don't suppose they may be feeling just a tad bit of guilt, do you or blame shifting?

Will we now be reading stories that the drownings occurring in the rip tides are because of tainted alcohol? Those evil Mexican rip tides!!! Is that the next sensational story? Dear God, I hope I didn't open Pandora's box...

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Phydeaux, I'd continue the discussion, but I doubt we'll ever know the real truth of what happened here, so all we can do is speculate. And since you are waaaay more invested in this than I am on this topic, rather than wonder about your true agenda, I'll just say "Happy travels everyone!"

Status
Not open for further replies.