• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

10 Things Travelers Hate About Asia

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
10 Things Travelers Hate About Asia
By Greg Rodgers/ Asia/ TripSavvy/ tripsavvy.com

"Although traveling our planet’s biggest and most diverse continent is certainly rewarding, a few aspects really present a pain in the backside for new visitors. Fortunately, the good certainly outweighs the bad -- but be on the lookout for these common annoyances and frustrations!..."

DSC_3642-56a378da5f9b58b7d0d21a00.JPG

Richard

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I never had any desire to visit any Asian country. If I ever did, though, which I doubt I will be able to, it would probably be Japan.

And I hate crowds, which is one of several reasons why we have not made a trip to Italy (Rome) which has been on our list to visit someday.

After reading this article, for sure I would not visit Asia. My brother was in China once for business and he said the food was awful as well. I could barely tolerate the food in Scotland. (except the fish and chips).

To me, having to deal with crowds and thieves and bad/weird food is not a vacation, but torture, though I understand the lure of seeing and experiencing some of the wonderful cultural and natural sights.

Last edited:

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Asia was never on our bucket list, with exception of Japan. However, our son worked in South Korea, where he met and married his wonderful Korean wife. We travelled to Seoul four times, two of those visits to celebrate their beautiful traditional Korean wedding, and for the birth of our precious granddaughter.

Our son was offered a job with the American International School in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, so of course, when they moved there, we visited them. We returned again for the birth of our sweet grandson.

I am so glad that we have had these amazing opportunities to see parts of the world that we never had considered. We are looking forward to our next visit to beautiful Vietnam.

Dori

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I just arrived in Taiwan. So far, it is nothing like this article describes. Staying at the W Hotel and at the Marriot in Taipei and doing excursions to other parts of Taiwan. We are here for 10 days. I think this author generalized about an entire continent without being specific about different countries and even various cities in each country. A lot of Asia is westernized now and has high GDP on a par with many western countries. I am looking forward to visiting all of Asia in the future. BTW, I live in the Bay Area in California. I already feel like I live in Asia. Arriving at the airport in Taipei felt very comfortable to me.

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spent ten days in China a few years ago. The crowds were daunting. Part of our journey was by train and it was nothing short of terrifying to be "in line" that consists of nothing more than a crush of thousands of people. Whether we were in Beijing or a small outlying town, sanitation standards are different than most American cities; while the squat toilets took some adjusting to, my real concern was how filthy most were. Flying within the country was a step back in time. The plane, of course, was modern but the flight attendants were all women dressed in tailored uniforms, white gloves and pillbox hats. 1960s United Airlines style. We had a two hour flight and were served a full, and delicious meal.

Individual people were lovely, the sights were nothing short of astounding and I consider it one of the high points of my travel life. I also consider it a once-in-a-lifetime trip that I would never want to do again. It was wonderful but I saw what I wanted to see and will stick closer to home. Our days of international travel are nearly over anyway.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agreed with all ten (10) traffic, bathrooms & crowds are my top picks. #1 All American visiting Asia are not rich.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
First time visiting Europe (London) and we were in the immigration line with an Air India flight. Was enough to turn me off the country completely. Hopefully we still visit other parts of Asia.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
The article was accurate. Experienced all 10 on our honeymoon to Thailand. Now does that mean people won't enjoy going? I think that's up to each persons tolerance.

We had a good time, but it's 24 hours travel time away. Have no plans to go back.....lots left to see in other areas of the world.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
If all this turns you guys off, then you would hate the Bay Area! I am very comfortable in Asian culture because some of my best friends are Taiwanese, Chinese and Vietnamese. The Bay Area is a melting pot of Asia including Indians too. We actually do not have as many Japanese in the Bay Area, relatively speaking. If anyone has ever been to Cupertino, where Apple is headquartered, it is almost entirely Chinese including the street signs, yet it is one of the most expensive cities in the Bay Area because the public schools are the best in the nation.

Back to our subject, in the W hotel in Taipei, we have an electric heated toilet in our hotel room that opens when you approach it and automatically flushes too. The technology in our hotel room is very impressive. Our W hotel room has a direct view of Taipei 101, an architectural gem with 101 floors. Very few tourists from western countries visit Taiwan. It is very advanced but mostly a business destination. GDP is the same as Germany. Taiwan is great for sightseeing and the National Palace Museum holds more of the Imperial art and treasures from China than China has. In fact, the museum rarely does traveling tours to other countries because its treasures are so valuable and they will never do a tour in mainland China out of worry that China will seize their treasures and art.

I am looking down at the streets right now and no traffic this morning. Very little traffic coming in on a Saturday night either. The architecture here is new and modern, along with some historic temples. The food downstairs in the food stalls looks and smells delicious and has a European flair. The city is flat surrounded by beautiful green hills and there are many parks all over the city. Taipei sort of reminds me of a mix of New York City, Vancouver, Copenhagen and Sydney. By the way, you do not have to rich to enjoy Taipei. The hotels are very affordable for the quality and luxury level. However, there are no timeshares in Taiwan. We were considering a side trip to Southern Taiwan or a nearby Asian city like Hong Kong or Shanghai but there is so much to see just in Northern Taiwan. Taiwan was once named “Republic of Formosa” which means beautiful island.

Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia are on my bucket list. I know in many Asian countries there is a great disparatity of wealth, like the rest of the world. So I am sure the article is correct about many parts of Asia especially the poor countries in Southeast Asia, the rural areas in mainland China and other rural, third world countries in Asia that are not yet industrialized. However, many countries in Asia like Taiwan and Singapore have high GDP and the highest academic achievement in the world. I have not had a desire to visit South Korea but Seoul sounds like an amazing city that I hear is becoming quite hip.

I recently read the book series Rich Crazy Asians. It is being made into a movie. The book was a soap opera like look into the great wealth in Asia as well as the social hierarchy. Supposedly, the Asians with old money look down on the new wealth of the mainlanders in China. I was asking my friend from Shanghai about this and he said there is definitely a social hierarchy, even just within China, let alone in all of Asia. Singapore seems to be at the top of the social hierarchy. My friend said people from Shanghai are looked up to within China. Taiwan is looked up to within the Bay Area culture and the Taiwanese in the USA have the highest per capita income of any group, much higher than the average American. I admire the work ethic and the value of education among many Asians. That is why I think Asia is taking over the world. Asians are smart, hard working, technologically oriented and business savvy.

Our flight from SFO was 13 hours non stop. We were upgraded to economy plus and have Polaris class on the way home. It did not feel like a long flight to me because I had wifi the entire flight and United has good entertainment on international flights. It was an easier flight for us than going to Europe since there are so few non stop flights from SFO to Europe.

The service in Taipei is outstanding. People are very organized and polite here. So far, I love it and we just arrived last night. The W is one of the hip hotels in Taipei so it is probably not representative. However, Taipei has some very high end hotels that are true 5+ stars. I would rate the W Taipei a 4.75 star hotel. I am a tough evaluator! LOL

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Asia is a continent and this article treats Asia as a country with one culture. This article is so wrong and propagates bias and ignorance. Asia is made of many developed and under developed countries. One cannot be more different from another. We spent several weeks last year and this year in several parts of Spain, Italy and Greece and we were commenting that many countries in Asia are far more developed and cleaner than these places.

Last edited:

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
No mention of the temperature and humidity. Much of Asia is hot-n-steamy most of the time.

uop1497

Reaction score
Have anyone flew economy class ticket with United from Hongkong to SFO . If so can you please share your inputs.

I hope I will have a chance to visit Japan , Korean and Taiwan in the future.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love Japan. I lived and worked in Japan for several years. I did my doctoral research in Japan. Last summer we vacationed 3 weeks in Japan. My kids had an incredible time. Most public restrooms in Japan like in the train stations and parks are super modern and super clean. I can’t believe this article generalized ALL of Asia.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are also, many underdeveloped countries in Central & South America liked in Asia.
However, there are cities in UAE that would make New York City, London and Chicago looked liked a third world country and that is IMHP.
To lived in the United States of America is a blessing and that is also IMHP.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is something funny and a little off topic. I grew up in Miami, so I feel entitled to say this. Whenever I travel through Miami International Airport, it feels like a third world country. This year, I flew from Cancun to Miami and when I got out in MIA, I was so stressed because MIA is chaotic and outdated compared to CUN. I told my father, who lives in Miami, “Coming from Cancun, Miami feels like a third world country.” We traveled through MIA to Barbados to go to SVG and, once again, MIA was the most disorganized and backwards airport, even compared to the Caribbean. TSA Precheck was closed and we spent an hour in line to get through the “in transit” area.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Asia is a continent and this article treats Asia as a country with one culture. This article is so wrong and propagates bias and ignorance. Asia is made of many developed and under developed countries. One cannot be more so different from another. We spent several weeks last year and this year in several parts of Spain, Italy and Greece and we were commenting that many countries in Asia are far more developed and cleaner than these places.

Totally agree with you. Asia is very diverse, even more so than most other continents. In general, the developed cities in Asia are more advanced than most other cities in the world. I think Asia may just be too “foreign” for most Americans. The culture is very different too so many Americans would not appreciate it.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No mention of the temperature and humidity. Much of Asia is hot-n-steamy most of the time.

What is it with people and weather? We are here in Taipei in June, their hottest and muggiest time of the year. It is fine. I find it humorous that people are so obsessed with the weather. If hot and humid is off your list, then you will miss half the world, if not the entire world since even the Northeastern USA is hot and humid all summer. With global warming, California is becoming hotter and hotter. Many homes were built without AC in Northern California and it now gets into the 90s and 100s in the Bay Area in the summer. Hot and dry vs hot and humid seem to be the choices now. Many parts of Northern Asia have snow and are cold in the winter, though. Some great skiing in Japan.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I visited Japan several times for business. None of the 10 items were too much of an issue for me, except having to use a hole in the ground toilet. I hope I never have to do that again, especially with two artificial knees. Japan is an amazing country, but I have no desire to vacation there.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Have anyone flew economy class ticket with United from Hongkong to SFO . If so can you please share your inputs.

I hope I will have a chance to visit Japan , Korean and Taiwan in the future.
What would you like to know? I just did that 10 days ago.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
#1 All American visiting Asia are not rich.

Heh, you should have had our experience. In 1998, we booked a tour of China, including the Yangtze river. But they had terrible floods that spring, and most of the tour group cancelled. Did I say most? I mean, everyone except DW and I.

But the tour operator didn't cancel the tour. In every city, we had a tour guide and driver meet us -- and we toured in a passenger car. Now, the contents of the tour were dictated by some central agency, and it was a strict requirement that they take us to the "Friendship Store" in every city. You think that you're targeted as a rich American? Try going into the Friendship store, which has 3 times as many sales agents as customers, since all the customers cancelled their tours and stayed home. And go into that store with a private tour guide and private driver. Do you think we were pegged as "rich Americans"? Bet your bippy we were :doh:

But we enjoyed the tour all the same. Eventually, the tour guides (a new one in each city) took pity on us. We had one say "Look, I'm required to bring you in there. But just take a quick look, and when you're ready to go, signal to me and we'll leave."

-The Rich American

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to share one piece of data, IMF 2017 October Data on wealthiest country in the world, based on per capita income:
12) USA ($59,500)
10) Hong Kong ($61,020)
4) Brunei ($76,740)
3) Singapore ($90,530)

You won't find plumbing systems that are unable to process toilet paper in Singapore, Brunei or Hong Kong. Oh wait, they are in Asia!

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Asia is a continent and this article treats Asia as a country with one culture. This article is so wrong and propagates bias and ignorance. Asia is made of many developed and under developed countries. One cannot be more different from another. We spent several weeks last year and this year in several parts of Spain, Italy and Greece and we were commenting that many countries in Asia are far more developed and cleaner than these places.
We've visited much of Asia, and I really think the posted article paints Asia with a too-broad brush. I was prepared to read it with a combination of disgust and pity that the author doesn't 'get it'. There is some of both. I expected racism, and compared to what many experience much closer to home the article didn't exhibit a lot. Oh yes, the mother pointing at the foreigners with her child. We had that happen in a restaurant in Shanghai when a family approached us so that a boy of maybe 7-or 8 could say to us "How do you do?" very slowly and articulate each syllable. The rest of the family stood behind him and beamed proudly. I shook his hand and said, "Very well, thanks, and how are you". And thanked them for coming to meet us. In Friendship Stores, uniformed clerks looked at my 'Mai Yo Chen' T-Shirt (means No Money), and laughed and said "Credit Card OK!" We've driven over 800 miles in Thailand from Bangkok to Chaing Mai and Chaing Rai and the Golden Triangle and into Myanmar back in the 1990's. We've slept on a raft in the River Kwai, and participated in a Thai cremation. Yes, we've experienced squat toilets, but also the high tech toilets in Japan with built-in bidets and blow dryers. Oh, yes, I've been is what I considered at the time the most beautiful place on earth for a year in Vietnam when many of the locals didn't like us a lot.

We are different, but in so many ways we are alike too. Yes, Asian culture is different. But go with an open mind. They've been at this business of living a LOT longer than we have.

Jim

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I visited Japan several times for business. None of the 10 items were too much of an issue for me, except having to use a hole in the ground toilet. I hope I never have to do that again, especially with two artificial knees. Japan is an amazing country, but I have no desire to vacation there.

Where and when did you go? My DH travels to Japan (Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto) regularly now for business and he says hole in the ground toilets are still around in older parts of Japan but generally they are next to a regular toilet. He stays at Grand Hyatt, Park Hyatt, Ritz Carlton and St Regus so they have regular toilets. I do not think Japan would be a vacation spot for me either but it sounds interesting.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Heh, you should have had our experience. In 1998, we booked a tour of China, including the Yangtze river. But they had terrible floods that spring, and most of the tour group cancelled. Did I say most? I mean, everyone except DW and I.

But the tour operator didn't cancel the tour. In every city, we had a tour guide and driver meet us -- and we toured in a passenger car. Now, the contents of the tour were dictated by some central agency, and it was a strict requirement that they take us to the "Friendship Store" in every city. You think that you're targeted as a rich American? Try going into the Friendship store, which has 3 times as many sales agents as customers, since all the customers cancelled their tours and stayed home. And go into that store with a private tour guide and private driver. Do you think we were pegged as "rich Americans"? Bet your bippy we were :doh:

But we enjoyed the tour all the same. Eventually, the tour guides (a new one in each city) took pity on us. We had one say "Look, I'm required to bring you in there. But just take a quick look, and when you're ready to go, signal to me and we'll leave."

-The Rich American

I think in the developed parts of Asia, most Americans could not afford to travel here. We are in Taipei and all the stores are designer brands: Versace, Tiffany, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Fendi, Bulgari, St Laurent, and many high end brands I have never heard of. They are pegging us as the poor Americans because Asians are now richer than us! Everyone speaks English so they are trying to help us. All the signs are bi-lingual. I am sitting next to some Asian men speaking to each other in English.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We've visited much of Asia, and I really think the posted article paints Asia with a too-broad brush. I was prepared to read it with a combination of disgust and pity that the author doesn't 'get it'. There is some of both. I expected racism, and compared to what many experience much closer to home the article didn't exhibit a lot. Oh yes, the mother pointing at the foreigners with her child. We had that happen in a restaurant in Shanghai when a family approached us so that a boy of maybe 7-or 8 could say to us "How do you do?" very slowly and articulate each syllable. The rest of the family stood behind him and beamed proudly. I shook his hand and said, "Very well, thanks, and how are you". And thanked them for coming to meet us. In Friendship Stores, uniformed clerks looked at my 'Mai Yo Chen' T-Shirt (means No Money), and laughed and said "Credit Card OK!" We've driven over 800 miles in Thailand from Bangkok to Chaing Mai and Chaing Rai and the Golden Triangle and into Myanmar back in the 1990's. We've slept on a raft in the River Kwai, and participated in a Thai cremation. Yes, we've experienced squat toilets, but also the high tech toilets in Japan with built-in bidets and blow dryers. Oh, yes, I've been is what I considered at the time the most beautiful place on earth for a year in Vietnam when many of the locals didn't like us a lot.

We are different, but in so many ways we are alike too. Yes, Asian culture is different. But go with an open mind. They've been at this business of living a LOT longer than we have.

Jim

I am blonde and blue eyes and not a single person has stared at me in Taipei. There are very few Caucasian people here but seems like my DH and I just blend in.

Last edited: